Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Inspector Hound posted:

There's a semi auto shotgun in rdr, which is a documentary

I mean it's not far off, the Auto-5 was produced in 1902. RDR2 takes place in 1899

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
can confirm operations in bf1 are pretty fun, i always defaulted to conquest but i'm enjoying the more directed, focused gameplay

been mostly running the russian 1895 or mondragon storm depending on the map and i cannot get enough of that headshot sound effect

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Convinced some buddies to download and play with me last night, it was awesome. My brother refused to play though because he wants to save his battlefield juices for the new one, I hope he sees us all playing and caves to the desire hehe.

Its hilarious how we all havent played a BF game in a long time, there was a lot of frustration about not being able to aim with the guns and dying nonstop, but our squad was *still* generally in the top 10. Its a little solace that at least everyone else is way worse. Though we played a round of operations and I managed to rack up the most deaths out of the whole game, yikes.

Also I spawned in a plane 3 different times only to have it exploded the second Im in.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The average BF player is horrrrrible. I hopped back into BF1 after not playing for years and got MVP like 4 out of the first 5 games I played.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

codo27 posted:

There's just no way I'm playing some hokey old seventeenth century set game with muskets and poo poo

DICE is a Swedish company and it's shameful that they haven't released a BF 1642, celebrating the glories of the Swedish empire. Breitenfeld or bust!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

RCarr posted:

The average BF player is horrrrrible. I hopped back into BF1 after not playing for years and got MVP like 4 out of the first 5 games I played.

Opposite for me - I keep constantly running into rank 150 or whatever people who just melt me. Looking forward to the AI bots so my old rear end can stand a chance :/

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

kri kri posted:

Opposite for me - I keep constantly running into rank 150 or whatever people who just melt me. Looking forward to the AI bots so my old rear end can stand a chance :/

In 4 last night at 2am I wandered into a hardcore server on Pearl Market and got my loving world rocked by a server almost full of rank 150 poopsockers. No matter what I did or where I went I got shot in the back. I’m thinking that’s more of a map issue though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I forget the name but isn't there a battlefield-scale medieval combat game for Xbox/PC at least? Mount and blade or chivalry or something

jisforjosh posted:

I mean it's not far off, the Auto-5 was produced in 1902. RDR2 takes place in 1899

Oh, I thought it was a weird time period like 1912 or something so there's like a car in the big town and stuff, well time to replay rdr2 to make sure

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I'm getting chewed up in (console) BF1 but it also feels really janky in a way I wouldn't have approved of back on release so I'm thinking something has changed, internet wise.

this setting is fantastic though. before BF1, and since, i'd just been absolutely bored out of my kind pinballing between extremely samey modern settings and yet another dull take on WW2 that it's great to remember how fresh BF1 was.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I forget the name but isn't there a battlefield-scale medieval combat game for Xbox/PC at least? Mount and blade or chivalry or something

Oh, I thought it was a weird time period like 1912 or something so there's like a car in the big town and stuff, well time to replay rdr2 to make sure

The prologue for RDR2 is set in 1907

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Was attacking on Argonne when the defenders had an aim otter shooting everyone through smoke and a revive hacker insta reviving every downed teammate from across the map, and we still almost won because half their team was sniping.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Chivalry 2 is on consoles now, and there's also some game I know next to nothing about called for honor that looks like it probably involves medieval weapons.

Chiv is sorta Battlefield-esque in so much as there are objectives and pubbies such at them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Chiv 2 is probably as close to a medieval battlefield game that currently exists.

For Honor is more like a 3d fighting game.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Was attacking on Argonne when the defenders had an aim otter shooting everyone through smoke and a revive hacker insta reviving every downed teammate from across the map, and we still almost won because half their team was sniping.

That's the downside of Operations (outside of the hack community operations), there's no admin/mod

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

jisforjosh posted:

BF4 is the best sandbox Battlefield game but BF1 is just the best in every other category.
This is more of a personal preference thing but I much prefer BF4's weapon type distribution with having three different all-class weapon types compared to BF1's strict "each class gets a range" setup, even if BF4 technically did start the trend by replacing the Engineer's main weapon type with PDWs. It means I actually get to enjoy my time playing as Recon instead of being stuck with a bolt-action (though ironically I really enjoyed bolt-actions in BF1).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

there seems to be a fresh supply of hackers but they are either really bad at the game (compared to the guys that are invisible and one-shot you with any gun, even the Kolibri) or are deliberately handicapping themselves so they don't empty servers (or crash servers like some of the more established hackers do)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Haven't played since I used to spend long hours in BF2 and it's expansions, I'm pumped for this.

I may have missed it but how will progression work? I'm really hoping to get away from the CoD/Warzone method where it takes hours and hours just to level a gun up enough to be viable from attachment unlocks and I'm hoping BF2042 isn't like that.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Didn't expect this shot to turn out

https://i.imgur.com/hOFjdzK.mp4

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 30, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
The dude falling from the sky and faceplanting into the ground and glitching out on the terrain is the most perfectly This Is Battlefield thing possible :discourse:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nothing says This Is Battlefield like the All-Recon squad

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo that guy flying in out of nowhere is just the best

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one

https://i.imgur.com/La5LpZ3.mp4

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

Nothing says This Is Battlefield like the All-Recon squad

insanely cursed

Orv
May 4, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

This belongs in a museum.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Propaganda Hour posted:

I landed one of these yesterday on a Fighter and I just stood in astonishment for 10 seconds (and got killed but it was worth it) because I didn't even know it was possible to legit headshot pilots

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Aces High posted:

I landed one of these yesterday on a Fighter and I just stood in astonishment for 10 seconds (and got killed but it was worth it) because I didn't even know it was possible to legit headshot pilots

Yeah, killing a pilot that was trying to strafe my horseman with a lucky snap shot is my favorite BF1 moment.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aces High posted:

It's possible! I've done it, but it's generally easier to shove a K-bullet through their engine when they're doing an attack run. Ironically the times I've headshotted pilots generally tend to be when I'm trying to K-bullet an engine :v:

Anyways, what's the modern Dicks-Chord for goon shenanigans? Primarily BF1 goons.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Aces High posted:

I once got headshotted in a plane by a field cannon

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
How is Battlefield V? How does it stack up to Battlefield 1 as I'm enjoying it without any DLC.

I know its coming free next week to Twitch Prime.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tormented posted:

How is Battlefield V? How does it stack up to Battlefield 1 as I'm enjoying it without any DLC.

I think it's...better than it was after release? BFV is a game that released okay-ish, if full of broken promises, then got worse for a good while. Like, take the rad Operations mode in BF1 and make it...worse (the map auto-advances after every round regardless of how well the teams did).

Squad Revives were absolutely awesome though and I'm glad they're keeping that mechanic into 2042. Like the one thing the game straight up added to the series, with no downsides, was Squad Revives. Squad up and everyone in your group is your medi-buddy!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I recently bought bf5 (Amazon prime digital code only $9.99 usd for whatever edition!)

And im having a blast. Im an avid call of duty player (not very good but its fun to me) so learning the shooting mechanics of bf5 from CoD was a bit weird but after i got it down it was pretty fun.

Never stop building sand bag walls!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tormented posted:

It’s bad and the only highlights are the Pacific maps and that vaulting and mantling are improved. Everything else is a downgrade from BF1

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Tormented posted:

The gunplay/weapon handling is better, some of the vehicle balancing is better but leads to hill camping tanks, the movement is better, squad revives are amazing, and building fortifications is an interesting addition that needed some work.

Maps and atmosphere/art design feel like a step backwards from BF1 and the constant TTK changes and nerfs throughout it's lifecycle left such a bad taste in most players mouths that it's hard to get people to come back to it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I was tempted to get BFV when it was on a deep Steam sale a couple times, but then I ended up reinstalling BF1 instead and am glad I did.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Just started playing BF1 again last night, drat that game is so loving good. Federov FTW

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I found a German-based custom server a few months ago that operates at odd times of the day, but when it’s full, it’s my favorite server.

2,000 tickets with a map loop of Sinai, Amiens, Ballroom Blitz and Argonne Forest.

Rounds can legitimately take an hour and fifteen minutes to complete.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Alkydere posted:

(the map auto-advances after every round regardless of how well the teams did).

Is this a bad thing though?

There are a lot of great BF1 ops maps that never get played because they are the 2nd or 3rd map in the OPs string.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one

https://i.imgur.com/La5LpZ3.mp4

BF1,

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Downloaded Battlefield 1 with the Amazon Prime trial.

Stupid question - how exactly do I access the campaign challenges \ codex entries from in-game?

Also, any tips on plane controls? I've tried controlling the plane with mouse and keyboard (outright impossible) and gamepad (slightly less impossible, but still absolutely terrible) both, and neither allowed me to shoot down a single enemy plane after 5 minutes of "dogfighting" during the starting mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Downloaded Battlefield 1 with the Amazon Prime trial.

Stupid question - how exactly do I access the campaign challenges \ codex entries from in-game?

Also, any tips on plane controls? I've tried controlling the plane with mouse and keyboard (outright impossible) and gamepad (slightly less impossible, but still absolutely terrible) both, and neither allowed me to shoot down a single enemy plane after 5 minutes of "dogfighting" during the starting mission.

Rebind your kbm controls.

I fly with roll :a/d; pitch: w/s; rudder: q/e. Mouse X: Yaw. Mouse Y: Pitch.

Throttle as Shift/CTRL.