Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

c forums s: as an exclusive bookmarks browser, it took me a bit to remember to go find the new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The thread icon stands for cjs/cjs++

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

cls: on friday's i have a "john wick mode" radio station play on pandora for my daily sonos music alarm at noon and now i'm debating if i should watch john wick 3 instead of blade runner

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

The thread icon stands for cjs/cjs++

cjs++ now with templates!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CPColin posted:

Thinking about how quickly I would die if I ever tried to write a LISPy language professionally, having never been able to wrap my head around one casually.

i 100% promise you that this is like a first-month (first-week often) kind of problem and you'd find it perfectly natural real quick. it is just real easy to bounce off a bit when you're just playing around, since the way it looks and works a bit different needs relearning reflexive things (e.g. at first it looks like noise and you get real tired as your brain tries to cobble together something visually useful out of it).

i don't think the market is that big for it anyway. still, clojure remains good, and fingers crossed with chez scheme (an excellent scheme compiler) now being free (and adopted by racket, an excellent environment) there may be a little bit more interest, but probably it'll all continue to be a bit of a dead end.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
me, every summer olympics: god, volleyball is such a great sport towatch, they should broadcast it more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ruining thread now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEKkdIT8JPM

its got amen breaks!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

YOSPOS stylesheet av check

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

grown ups drink fruit beer or cider

actually grown ups drink water

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just looked at amberpos for the first time in years, it's very autumn-y/thanksgiving-y

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

Just looked at amberpos for the first time in years, it's very autumn-y/thanksgiving-y
Pumpkin Spice-POS

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

Just looked at amberpos for the first time in years

wtf

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
cjs: set up my new enterprise geodatabases, moving from an ancient one on sql express to four new ones on full sql. this has been a huge bottleneck for me and I’m stoked to have it sorted.

:slick:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I remember it looking yellower and more piss-like, just real gross. Prob switch to it when autumn comes.

mulled cider
crunchy leaves
football
apple festivals
soothing heavy rain on the windows at night
amberpos

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

President Beep posted:

cjs: set up my new enterprise geodatabases, moving from an ancient one on sql express to four new ones on full sql. this has been a huge bottleneck for me and I’m stoked to have it sorted.

:slick:

oops. already broke it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"vacation" over after this weekend - in a way, im happy to have something to do

but also i like being lazy - it's tough to be me

i use quotes cause i didn't really do much except rent a cabin a couple times and go to the beach.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

President Beep posted:

oops. already broke it.

a true professional

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Vintersorg posted:

i use quotes cause i didn't really do much except rent a cabin a couple times and go to the beach.
almost literally the same here. we're checking out of our pei cabin tomorrow AM

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Vintersorg posted:

you shouldnt feel pressure to "do stufF" hwen youre on vacation the point is to be lazy and enjoy leisure. dont turn your vacation into another management exercise

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kenny Logins posted:

almost literally the same here. we're checking out of our pei cabin tomorrow AM

do you have prince edward island in a can

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Tankakern posted:

imagine not using linux as your daily driver

what are you even doing in yospos

encouraging self harm is against the rules

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hbag posted:

encouraging self harm is against the rules

honestly my ubuntu box was less hassle to install than windows and spends less time updating and doing random weird poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’ve never used a linux :cool:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tbh i could almost certainly get by with a windows machine these days and use WSL for the terminal stuff I care about. windows 10 seems fine on the VM i have it on for radio stuff. mostly i like the mbp hardware, though really i like is the 2014 mbp hardware. im not as enthused about 2021's, but at least it isn't the 2017 version

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i mean i MIGHT switch to linux the next time i re-install everything on my pc
just trying to decide between fedora and ubuntu
or debian

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

windows is fine. My real beef is the thing where I have to pay for it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

needing to pick my job hardware on monday i am leaning towards asking for the generic desktop pc with the student lab ubuntu image installed and centrally managed (i.e. no root for me), and an ipad pro for notes/recording and presentation stuff. think it'll be the right mix for keeping me from tinkering and focusing on the actual work.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hbag posted:

i mean i MIGHT switch to linux the next time i re-install everything on my pc
just trying to decide between fedora and ubuntu
or debian

Ubuntu's the one you use if you just don't give a poo poo. Debian is the one you use if you're a grognard that doesn't like change. Fedora's the one you pair with a neckbeard.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rotor posted:

windows is fine. My real beef is the thing where I have to pay for it.

they’ve been giving it away for free for at least five years following win10 release, including poo poo like upgrading pirated cd keys into legitimate licences for the sake of pure “500 million devices run windows” wankery. its relatively surprising to hear of someone using a windows pc (which i assume you don’t, to be clear) and having licensing woes these years

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
arch is the one if you want your os to be a kit car

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Ubuntu's the one you use if you just don't give a poo poo. Debian is the one you use if you're a grognard that doesn't like change. Fedora's the one you pair with a neckbeard.

fedora is a legitimate distro choice to make

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they’ve been giving it away for free for at least five years following win10 release, including poo poo like upgrading pirated cd keys into legitimate licences for the sake of pure “500 million devices run windows” wankery. its relatively surprising to hear of someone using a windows pc (which i assume you don’t, to be clear) and having licensing woes these years

theres no "woes" i just have this "please activate windows" thing on my videogames. I know I could fix it but between this post and the last one I've already spent more time talking about it than I have being annoyed by it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they dont have adobe creative suite for linux so it wont work for me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

they dont have adobe creative suite for linux so it wont work for me

jonny, the nerds are gonna have their knives out for you now. goonspeed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Philips-Trimmer-BT3216-14-settings/dp/B079JZZCRS/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the only way i could grow a neckbeard even is to transplant some hair from my rear end

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the only way i could grow a neckbeard even is to transplant some hair from my rear end

wow wouldn’t have for to go then!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/BG3010-15-Philips-Skin-Friendly-Razor/dp/B079H8G21J/

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well i should at least try to figure out why the gently caress my windows pc is being so clunky
i have no idea where to start looking, there arent that many things being launched at startup so i doubt its that
even windows explorer is slow as gently caress when it comes to navigating directories, but my disks are fine (according to smart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In a totally polite and ingenuous and way I ask: how many times a year do you upgrade the OS on your fedora machine?