Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Amazing episode, and yes - Roy is done playing. At that age, you don't come back from an injury like that in the Premier League. Keeley made Jamie go down on her in an s01 ep, the gala one I think? This aint a family show!

True about Roy but this is also TV. But if not to play I wonder if he will come back to Richmond as a coach?

Yes I did just rewatch that episode last night. Still I think this week is much more than anything last season. The masturbating just kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Amazing episode, and yes - Roy is done playing. At that age, you don't come back from an injury like that in the Premier League. Keeley made Jamie go down on her in an s01 ep, the gala one I think? This aint a family show!

Agree with everything you said but just pointing out they aren’t in the premier league this season. They were relegated last season. It’d still be a ridiculous comeback but it is tv. I feel like it is obvious that Doc is going to help Jamie not be a prick.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Zero One posted:

True about Roy but this is also TV. But if not to play I wonder if he will come back to Richmond as a coach?

Yes I did just rewatch that episode last night. Still I think this week is much more than anything last season. The masturbating just kept going.

I have a feeling we can all thank Fleabag for these extended scenes of female masturbation!

Spacebump posted:

Agree with everything you said but just pointing out they aren’t in the premier league this season. They were relegated last season. It’d still be a ridiculous comeback but it is tv. I feel like it is obvious that Doc is going to help Jamie not be a prick.

poo poo you're right, my bad. forgot about the relegation... I can see multiple paths they could take with Jamie right now, and I'm excited about all of them!

edit: replied to both

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 30, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also, I almost forgot, but LOL at The Fountainhead being Ted Lasso's favorite book.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Schmigadoon/Ted Lasso is just such a lovely way to end the work week.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't know if it's a full improvement in writing or just being familiar with the characters from the beginning but Lasso S2 has felt way funnier than S1 already.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can feel that, I was chuckling all the way through the episode and got a few big laughs too. Half the time watching sitcoms I’m more appreciating jokes than laughing at them. Familiarly definitely makes things funnier for sure, and some shows entirely rely on that by their later years and don’t even bother writing the punchline anymore.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I agree that Ted Lasso has been funnier in general but did the dude playing Roy Kent just forget how to talk or something? It feels like he's putting on a batman voice for some reason. Never got that feeling in the first season.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am in love with Schmigadoon

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

I agree that Ted Lasso has been funnier in general but did the dude playing Roy Kent just forget how to talk or something? It feels like he's putting on a batman voice for some reason. Never got that feeling in the first season.

I noticed the same thing. My explanation is that he’s constantly lost his voice from screaming during his U9 girls games.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm 100% shipping Sam and Rebecca. It's gonna happen. Just like Cheers!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
wrt Ted Lasso, I cannot keep my eyes of off Juno Temple and I smile the entire time she is on screen.

also Coach Beard is cool as gently caress

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Robobot posted:

I'm 100% shipping Sam and Rebecca. It's gonna happen. Just like Cheers!

Felt that way all through a S1 rewatch.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am in love with Schmigadoon

"Did somebody say corn puddin'?!"

Watched the first few eps of this last night and got some good laughs out of it. Came for KMK and Cecily Strong but then found out there's Fred Armisen, Jane Krakowski, Alan Cumming and even Martin Short which was a nice surprise.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We started watching Dave last night and it is funny as hell.

edit: Pffft wrong thread. :-/

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 31, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Trig Discipline posted:

We started watching Dave last night and it is funny as hell.

It really is, Chuck.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Hughlander posted:

Felt that way all through a S1 rewatch.

Yeah, they had that cute little scene together and she just gave him a compliment. Even if they don't wind up together I think the writing is very well done. Just little flirtations and small feelings never get time to shine in most shows.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I can't wait for See season 2. That show might not be very intelligent, but it looks fantastic and it is just badass. Like, badass is the way I would describe it. The fight against the kidnappers in episode 3 is just incredible, everyone in the show looks cool and Jason Momoa just does awesome stuff constantly and consistently. The violence is rad as hell and also just incredibly badass.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I can't wait for See season 2. That show might not be very intelligent, but it looks fantastic and it is just badass. Like, badass is the way I would describe it. The fight against the kidnappers in episode 3 is just incredible, everyone in the show looks cool and Jason Momoa just does awesome stuff constantly and consistently. The violence is rad as hell and also just incredibly badass.

Plus, Dave Bautista has been cast in season 2 as Jason Momoa's brother.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

Jonathan Tropper (Warrior, Banshee) took over the show this year, so it's gonna own.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jonathan Tropper (Warrior, Banshee) took over the show this year, so it's gonna own.

Aww man, Banshee is another show that is extremely badass, it actually occurred to me as I was writing that last post. I'm even more psyched now. Seeing Momoa in a full samurai kimono getup in the trailer is almost too much to handle.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Chairman Capone posted:

Plus, Dave Bautista has been cast in season 2 as Jason Momoa's brother.

I watched the first couple episodes of See when it first came out and it didn't really hook me at all. However, this news has me back on board. I'll check it out again.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I watched the first couple episodes of See when it first came out and it didn't really hook me at all. However, this news has me back on board. I'll check it out again.

the plot is complete dogshit nonsense, but everything else is pretty cool and pretty

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lastdancer posted:

"Did somebody say corn puddin'?!"

Watched the first few eps of this last night and got some good laughs out of it. Came for KMK and Cecily Strong but then found out there's Fred Armisen, Jane Krakowski, Alan Cumming and even Martin Short which was a nice surprise.

Well now I've got the corn pudding song stuck in my head. It's quite a charming show and has just a whack of talent behind it. I like musicals so this and Galavant were basically tailor made for me.

You put the corn in the pudding and the pudding in the bowl and the bowl in your belly cause it's good for the soul.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
See is really fuckin' cool.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ted Lasso: show still owns but this episode had the first thing so far that really didn’t work for me in any way the whole Led Tasso thing. Other than that, though, another great episode. Really happen to see them tackle sponsorship in British football, which I’ve always thought was gross as hell.

Schmigadoon: Chenoweth sang! Krakowski showed up, and then sang! Still think the show is only okay but these were def highlights of the season so far

Physical: Another decent but not great show, but I dug the finale. Still a little too unpleasant for me but the final scene was drat funny. I’ll watch it if it gets renewed.

Little Voice: cancelled :(

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
How long can Ted Lasso keep it up being this good?

Sam = :shobon: personified

That is all!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/brendanhunting/status/1423532510143602690?s=20

I rewatched episodes 1-3 back to back this morning and this seems right. There’s a momentum lost in the week gap between 1-2 and 2-3. Back to back to back is a much better story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Scott Forstall posted:

https://twitter.com/brendanhunting/status/1423532510143602690?s=20

I rewatched episodes 1-3 back to back this morning and this seems right. There’s a momentum lost in the week gap between 1-2 and 2-3. Back to back to back is a much better story.

Yeah, I was going to say that the third episode was the first one I was really feeling this season. The others were fine, but the show felt like it hadn't really gone much of anywhere.

This gives me renewed confidence in the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Ted Lasso: show still owns but this episode had the first thing so far that really didn’t work for me in any way the whole Led Tasso thing.

The AV Club review said this felt like something Michael Scott would do, and I think that's spot on.

I also felt a bit like the ending of the previous episode with Sam clearly feeling betrayed by Ted when Jamie returns didn't feel like it really got carried over into this episode, which was a bit jarring. But other than that, a solid episode.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I also felt a bit like the ending of the previous episode with Sam clearly feeling betrayed by Ted when Jamie returns didn't feel like it really got carried over into this episode, which was a bit jarring. But other than that, a solid episode.

I think this show has been good about not letting threads drop. I think that the character you mentioned is going to be under a lot of pressure this season and potentially break down, and that will be a contributing factor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SpiderLink posted:

I think this show has been good about not letting threads drop. I think that the character you mentioned is going to be under a lot of pressure this season and potentially break down, and that will be a contributing factor.

I think it's strange for the episode to end on a note that the following episode doesn't pick up on though, particularly when it's structured as as surprise reversal / cliffhanger.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

I think it's strange for the episode to end on a note that the following episode doesn't pick up on though, particularly when it's structured as as surprise reversal / cliffhanger.

That's a fair point! I'm expecting it to have been swept under the rug to give it more impact when it comes back but it was a pretty jarring sweep, and I've been dead wrong about a lot of stuff like this in the past 😅

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was a great episode of Ted Lasso. It felt great, but I'm sure it's going to lead to a lot of drama later.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Re: Schmigadoon

It's a miniseries, yeah. And no, I haven't seen Krakowski either.

Turns out that might not be so set in stone (but given the ambiguity of the tweet, I'm expecting the storyline to have an ending at least)

https://twitter.com/cincopedia/status/1423720143117426689?s=21

Anyone tried that Mr. Corman show? I might throw it on after Lasso/Schmig tonight

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Chairman Capone posted:

The AV Club review said this felt like something Michael Scott would do, and I think that's spot on.

Yeah. I feel like Led really didn’t add anything either except show that Ted is getting more and more desperate to be the team’s one and only savor when they’ve clearly grown beyond needing him to fix everything. This is a continuation of his insecurity plot, not the Jamie/Sam plot. And the team did need Led to be their enemy... Jamie solved that himself.

For Sam I feel like they did miss his feelings about Ted / Jamie at the end of Ep2. But now I don’t think that the thread is there for them to pick up later. Jamie clearly took a big step to healing their rift this episode and I would be disappointed if his character went backwards in future episodes so they could do more of the same conflict plots.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Zero One posted:

Yeah. I feel like Led really didn’t add anything either except show that Ted is getting more and more desperate to be the team’s one and only savor when they’ve clearly grown beyond needing him to fix everything. This is a continuation of his insecurity plot, not the Jamie/Sam plot. And the team did need Led to be their enemy... Jamie solved that himself.

For Sam I feel like they did miss his feelings about Ted / Jamie at the end of Ep2. But now I don’t think that the thread is there for them to pick up later. Jamie clearly took a big step to healing their rift this episode and I would be disappointed if his character went backwards in future episodes so they could do more of the same conflict plots.

I think the thread is still there. Jamie worked to show how he’s changed, and him and Sam appear to be on the mend. But Sam and Jamie repairing their relationship doesn’t mean Sam is cool with how Ted handled the situation.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

That was a great episode of Ted Lasso. It felt great, but I'm sure it's going to lead to a lot of drama later.

Yeah. Big ones. Like, international issue big ones.

Unfounded prediction:

Both Rebecca and Ted are going to have to legitimately become their alter egos later in the season. Rebecca will have to fire Sam, and Ted will have to be a dick when the rest of the team (led by Jamie) threaten to not play until he's brought back.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 7, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone tried that Mr. Corman show? I might throw it on after Lasso/Schmig tonight

Watched the first two eps. It’s kinda weird. I’m not sure if it’s about anything except “an anxious guy” but the filmmaking is solid and JGL’s performance is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, did the first episode and seems 'fine'. Not sure if I'll end up finishing it, but I'm curious enough that I'll keep it in the watchlist.