Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Code Vein is an action RPG made by Bandai-Namco in 2019. If I were a journalistic type I would say it is the anime of Dark Souls. You got the Souls formula, you rest at notbonfires and when you die you drop all your notsouls and need to run and pick them back up. Unlike Dark Souls though it isn't so rudely difficult and you don't have to read item descriptions to get the lore of the world.

:siren: This is not an invitation to talk about how perfect Dark Souls is, I don't care :siren:

The game takes place in a post apocalyptic world where most of humanity is killed off. You play as a Revanent, which is sort of like a vampire, going through the world that is infested with creatures known as the Lost, vampires that go feral, as well as miasma that makes Revanents turn into Lost more quickly. Revanents need human blood to survive but all humans are kept by one group of Revanents acting as the new government. There are trees that produce blood beads that Revanents can survive off of, but they're drying up and becoming less common.

I'll try showing off everything, note that I haven't fully played through the game so I may miss a few things. I'll need to do new game + anyways to show off the different endings so let me know if I miss something so I can grab it on the next cycle.

CoComms

I'm being joined by DoubleNegative, NGDBSS and Solitair

Spoilers?
Keep it in tags please

:siren: YO! DON'T BE A loving WEIRDO! :siren:

This game's character design has a focus on some certain assets

This is in the first 10 minutes of the LP. If you can't keep yourself from posting about how sexy this is, please don't post about it.

:siren: DON'T BE THE OPPOSITE! :siren:

This game's character design has a focus on some certain assets

This is in the first 10 minutes of the LP. If you can't keep yourself from informing everyone about how sexualized this is, please don't post about it.

Videos

Ruined Underground 1
Ruined Underground 2

Ruined City Center 1
Ruined City Center 2
Vestige Bonus 1

Dried Trenches 1
Bonus: Depths 1
Dried Up Trenches 2
Vestiges Bonus 2

Howling Pit 1
Howling Pit 2
Vestiges Bonus 3
Depths Bonus 2

Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 1
Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 2
Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 3

Memories

Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 4
Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 5

Ridge of Frozen Souls 1
Ridge of Frozen Souls 2
Bonus: Side Quests

Ashen Caves
Depths Bonus 3

City of Fallen Flame 1
City of Fallen Flame 2
Bonus: Vestiges 4

Crown of Sand 1
Crown of Sands 2
Depths 4

Crypt Spire 1
Crypt Spire 2
Depths 5

Provisional Government Outskirts

Provisional Government Center 1
Vestiges 5
Provisional Government 2

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leal posted:

:siren: YO! DON'T BE A loving WEIRDO! :siren:

:siren: DON'T BE THE OPPOSITE! :siren:

Are we allowed to be an entirely unrelated type of weirdo and question wtf is going on with the incongruous hair/clothing animations in the intro scene? In that initial outdoor segment when you first get up the smoke/dust in the ruins move as if there's little-to-no wind, after the slow-walk the ambient atmospheric leaves and plants seem to be waving in a strong breeze, but somewhere in development someone forgot and set the [wind intensity] variable to "category-3 hurricane" for the hair/fabric for the entire scene.

On top of all the other awkward jankiness you explicitly callout in the video, the the visual lolphysics mismatch is comical in ways the devs probably didn't intend. :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh just you wait until we ride an elevator, there you can see how wack the physics can get

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ah yeah my favorite "make a character that tumbled rear end backwards into a hot topic during a hurricane' simulator

And yeah some physics objects dont have an upper bound on their movement.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 30, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The game has its issues but I did enjoy what you could do with build and the ease of which you could switch between them.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
All I knew about this game going in is that a: Few people bought it and b: James Stephanie Sterling gave their character a kickass hat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Game is good and fun but definitely has issues. First Souls like I actually beat, too. I think making it super easy to switch builds certainly was a major improvement for the genre

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Oh god yes, Code Vein, aka the best Souls-like game. I absolutely loved the hell out of this game, and I hate Souls-likes.

Slaan posted:

Game is good and fun but definitely has issues. First Souls like I actually beat, too. I think making it super easy to switch builds certainly was a major improvement for the genre

Other improvements include: Less dark, oppressive architecture and level design, vibrant colors, an overall aesthetic that isn't reminiscent of gothic baroque paintings, thoroughly enjoyable level design that isn't all slog, a difficulty curve that doesn't slam a sledgehammer into your face...

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
I loved the game, but recognize that it has a lot of issues.

Me and my friend played it as kind of a co-op game, since there is a focus on party members. I played the DLC myself because my friend had no interest in doing it (I don't blame him. The DLC is bad).

Hunt11 posted:

The game has its issues but I did enjoy what you could do with build and the ease of which you could switch between them.

This is the part I really liked. It is very flexible in terms of both skill and character customization.

Too bad it wasn't better balanced, though.

Leal posted:

Oh just you wait until we ride an elevator, there you can see how wack the physics can get

To be fair, a lot of games with physics fail at elevators. Riding elevators in Souls games is always funny.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Modeling a physics object on top of a second, moving physics object is surprisingly difficult to do well.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
This game was fun for me for a few times, but ultimately, I consider it Dark Souls minus. It has a few advantages, but I don't feel like it makes use of them very well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I played this for a while until I got up to a boss I just couldn't beat, so I stopped.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I like that you can put tiny coffins all over your face, the character creator is pretty great.
I could never really get the special attacks to work right, they seem a bit janky to trigger.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
There are a lot great stuff you can do with the character creator. Some very basic, but great options, are to put pigtails on your hair, meaning you aren't limited to hair choices that already have pigtail if you want them. There are some problems though. For example, the extra pigtails are not considered hair by the engine and will clip trough a blood veil that has a hoodie. I also have no idea why every outfit has a random assortment of accessories you can have no problem, but other accessories have a cost limit. Finally, I don't get why they gave us the ability to customize our outfit and then created blood veils that covers up the clothes. All in all, I think the character creator is good, but the developers made some weird choices with it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

ah yeah my favorite "make a character that tumbled rear end backwards into a hot topic during a hurricane' simulator

I love this description

The Lone Badger posted:

I played this for a while until I got up to a boss I just couldn't beat, so I stopped.

Was it Butterfly flower lady? That stonewalled me for like 2 solid hours

Crystalgate posted:

There are a lot great stuff you can do with the character creator. Some very basic, but great options, are to put pigtails on your hair, meaning you aren't limited to hair choices that already have pigtail if you want them.

Yeah Ella's ponytail is an "accessory" stapled onto the back of her head. We can change looks after this prologue section and I'll show off some more of the character creator beyond the 381 eyebrow options and 74 eye pupil options. I really want to show off the color options for stuff.

Crystalgate posted:

Finally, I don't get why they gave us the ability to customize our outfit and then created blood veils that covers up the clothes.

There is an option that lets you hide your blood veil, though not one for hiding your mask. Dunno if that was in at game launch or added later. And the masks are really what gets me, you got all these face options but you're wearing a mask a lot of the time. I guess thats why there is so many eye options and not really a lot for mouth options :v: E: Oh right, the mouths aren't animated in scenes where they should be wearing a mask so that may be why it isn't an option.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 1, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh hey I remember when Geop was LPing this earlier this year. I forgot about the Xenoblade Chronicles X cross promotion.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Leal posted:

I love this description

Was it Butterfly flower lady? That stonewalled me for like 2 solid hours

There is an option that lets you hide your blood veil, though not one for hiding your mask. Dunno if that was in at game launch or added later. And the masks are really what gets me, you got all these face options but you're wearing a mask a lot of the time. I guess thats why there is so many eye options and not really a lot for mouth options :v: E: Oh right, the mouths aren't animated in scenes where they should be wearing a mask so that may be why it isn't an option.

It's gotta be Butterfly lady. That's the one that stops basically everyone. Me and my friend were at it for about an hour until we finally relented and filled the third party member slot with one of the NPCs.

The mask thing wouldn't be so bad if they had just given more options for different designs. There are only a few decent looking masks (in my opinion). Blood veils were a little better, since you can get cloak/cape styles that match fairly well with your character's outfit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It was the water boss.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
The one that really stops everybody is the two-for-one boss in my experience. 90% of the time when I'd answer a call for help it was those two numbnuts and I'd have to break out my one-shot build because gently caress those guys.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Underground 2

Today we meet another anime pretty boy and get reacquainted with both Oliver and our friend in white.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Oh man yes, the spells in this game are so good, some of the later spells you can pick up are amazing and amazingly fun to use.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Spells are overpowered in both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, not just Demon's Souls. The DLCs in both games do make enemies more resistant against them, but if you know what you're doing, you overcome that barrier easily enough. A sorcerer can easily take down Manus and a hexer can easily take down Fume Knight for example. Miracles are not anywhere as good though.

In this game, they are good and can be broken if you know what you're doing, but the same can be said about a strength build. They are very fun to use too.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Crystalgate posted:

In this game, they are good and can be broken if you know what you're doing, but the same can be said about a strength build. They are very fun to use too.

You don't even really need to know what you're doing. There's one that makes boss fights nearly a joke if you have even a slightly aggressive playstyle.

Unless of course they patched it at some point, but it definitely never happened during my playthrough.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Problem I had with the game was that I never really knew what gear/stats to focus on. I just wanted to stab people with a sword/spear the size of a minivan, why are you making this so difficult for me?!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So 'Blood' is this games Darkness then.

I will get very tired of hearing used as a prefix.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Been nice to see a bayonet/quick build run in this game. 90% of my completed run was done with giant 2 handers and armor with ichor used mainly for buffs

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Been nice to see a bayonet/quick build run in this game. 90% of my completed run was done with giant 2 handers and armor with ichor used mainly for buffs
Yeah, from my experience the builds to go for are either giant fuckoff hammers or cheesing bosses with magic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought one handed sword would be default but I'm glad my desire to be mobile is actually different than the norm. Before getting this game I asked if I could be more mobile in this game compared to dark souls and that was the deciding factor.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Pretty much anything besides pipe or cinderblock hammer is viable in this game. Some weapons or armor are top tier (like that blood veil I mentioned in the video), but you can still get by on Queenslayer Greatsword + Blue Hounds if it fits your gift setup. When I play I swap to whatever's appropriate for my current blood code, like 1H sword for Prometheus or heavy weapons for Berserker. The only constant is using light armor for the mobility breakpoints; heavy armor doesn't grant enough defense to be worth a slow roll when I can just dodge or block instead.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I was always more a fan of 1h swords, light armors, and heavy spell use. Hell, the one-shot build that was popular for a while used 1h swords, a fuckton of buffs, plus a certain companion's buff to basically one-shot everything. Then they nerfed it.

One of the best crutches the game has, too, is the Zweihander, available very early on, since its block stops 90% of all damage, upping to 100% with the Fortification upgrade path. You could easily learn and clear the game using it, and since it has good scaling, it remains even a decent endgame weapon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Solitair posted:

All I knew about this game going in is that a: Few people bought it and b: James Stephanie Sterling gave their character a kickass hat.

So you missed that time the McElroy brothers made a very scary vampire for the blood game.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I have not been keeping up with Monster Factory, no.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I look at stuff like that, then I look at my own created character and go "Man... I am a very boring individual." Not that I wasn't already aware of that, of course.

RelentlessImp posted:

I was always more a fan of 1h swords, light armors, and heavy spell use. Hell, the one-shot build that was popular for a while used 1h swords, a fuckton of buffs, plus a certain companion's buff to basically one-shot everything. Then they nerfed it.

I'm the same, although not as heavy on spell use. I played through this game with only 1H swords... and watched as my friend managed to crush nearly everything with 2H'ers. I think the only reason he didn't steamroll everything on his own was because he's not very good at Souls games.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So 'Blood' is this games Darkness then.

I will get very tired of hearing used as a prefix.

Just like Bloodborne.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 8, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ruined City Center 1

Today we get out into the open air and get see some more of the disaster scenery in this game. Also get a chuckle at the game loading LOD models way close.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

As far as I know, Chocolate Garlic Flakes is not a God Eater reference. Everything in GE is basically in pill or ampule form. It's also one of those series that rarely changes up items between games, so the stuff you see in 1 is pretty much the same you'll see in 3.

It is a thing in real life, although I've never tried them. One dude on Reddit recently made some homemade ones because they were curious and described them as mostly chocolate taste with a very mild garlic aftertaste. Drying the garlic to turn it into flakes saps a lot of the taste out of the garlic, so it isn't nearly as intense as you might expect from the name.

Edit: Sorry if you end up going back for it. I haven't been able to finish the video because of an errand I have to run in a few minutes.

I believe you missed part of a Blood Code around the 5:50 mark. It's tucked away behind the ramp/sloped path to the right.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 14, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Psycho Knight posted:

As far as I know, Chocolate Garlic Flakes is not a God Eater reference. Everything in GE is basically in pill or ampule form. It's also one of those series that rarely changes up items between games, so the stuff you see in 1 is pretty much the same you'll see in 3.

It is a thing in real life, although I've never tried them. One dude on Reddit recently made some homemade ones because they were curious and described them as mostly chocolate taste with a very mild garlic aftertaste. Drying the garlic to turn it into flakes saps a lot of the taste out of the garlic, so it isn't nearly as intense as you might expect from the name.

Edit: Sorry if you end up going back for it. I haven't been able to finish the video because of an errand I have to run in a few minutes.

I believe you missed part of a Blood Code around the 5:50 mark. It's tucked away behind the ramp/sloped path to the right.

I blame Louis for not pointing it out to me. Also I went to see if maybe you can buy chocolate covered garlic online and well

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Leal posted:

I blame Louis for not pointing it out to me. Also I went to see if maybe you can buy chocolate covered garlic online and well

I wouldn't mind trying it, if I could get my hands on some. Willy Pete's website sells something called Stinky Pete's Garlic Infused Chocolate Bars. Not quite the same thing, but still. I'm not in the US though.

It would definitely be a fun experiment. I wish I knew anything about baking.

Okay. I wasn't entirely sure if you had gone back for it later or if there was a NG+ thing at work where you already had it. You were busy talking about the game starting to throw enemies at you around every corner.

I think it’s the Hunter Code, which I don't remember anything about, to be honest.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ive had hot pepper chocolate before, and it was delicious, I can imagine garlic chocolate is pretty good.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
There's not much to the multiplayer and tragically no PVP, but the depths are definitely the ideal time to show off what is there.

personally I like to do nothing but snap poses and selfies with people and not help at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ruined City Center 2

The thumbnail says it all really.

Vestige Bonus 1

I will also be throwing vestige footage into their own videos.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 20, 2021