Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Peanuts here! Get your baseball team for peanuts here! Cheaper on the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

https://youtu.be/UofYl3dataU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Marisnick to the Padres.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm glad I've spent the last few years getting more interested in baseball as a whole and watching other teams, because if this was 5 years ago I'd just stop following the sport for a decade. Absolutely loving brutal. The return from a pure baseball perspective is fine, but I don't see myself going to more than one token game a year for a while.

Time to buy a sox hat I guess.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

All in on the Dogs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I put on sports radio this afternoon and they were playing the Layla outro from the goodfellas scene where Jimmy murders everyone over under Bryant highlights

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

All in on the Dogs

American Association is theoretically something like AA-level, right? Just sign the whole team.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yesterday and today are basically the Cubs' Red Wedding.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Now we can go back to simpler times where the biggest story was them throwing out an expensive cake.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

All in on the Dogs

Chicago’s north side team

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm morbidly curious to watch tonight's game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In not a big MLB fan but I'd much rather have seen the cubs implode in a Blackhawks way. Just be unable/unwilling to sign big new contracts, lose guys in free agency, etc, while letting the home town fading stars stay past their prime.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

I'm morbidly curious to watch tonight's game.

i just turned on the first inning, it's beth mowins and JD and today's Marquee Network 'Quees to the Game is "Thanks for the Memories"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

In not a big MLB fan but I'd much rather have seen the cubs implode in a Blackhawks way. Just be unable/unwilling to sign big new contracts, lose guys in free agency, etc, while letting the home town fading stars stay past their prime.

hockey has a salary cap, the MLB cap is that one of the richest families in the country does not want to spend money and has nothing but contempt for everyone.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Welcome back to the basement :)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bargaining stage: hey maybe they'll sign one of them back to a deal they deserve

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

R.D. Mangles posted:

i just turned on the first inning, it's beth mowins and JD and today's Marquee Network 'Quees to the Game is "Thanks for the Memories"

This whole thing may have been worth it if they had traded away Sciambi, but alas.

All things considered the only really poo poo deals were Darvish, who based on the Berrios return could have bought a lot more than high end lottery tickets, and Bryant- even if all the prospect guys all seem to agree both players coming back have moved up the rankings this year. On the MLB side I like Madrigal, but that puts a lot of faith in Hoerner sticking at SS. If Madrigal wasn't hurt he would never have been available, so I can't fault Hoyer for taking advantage of an unusual situation.

I'm still going to be pissed because this shouldn't have ever happened. Who could have known taking three offseasons off would end poorly??

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m in the hot take phase of grief, but all these talented guys managed to make teams worse than their individual parts. I don’t know if that’s on the front office, Ross, or player leadership, but you just couldn’t keep bringing them all back and expecting them to magically get better.

I’m not glad to see them go or anything, but I am glad I don’t have to convince myself they’re a good team that just needs to get hot in the playoffs and then watch them year after year never score in playoff games.

Yes the Ricketts suck and if they spent they’d have better teams, but that wouldn’t have made Bryant, Rizzo, or Baez into anything more than the the sometimes above average players they’ve been since 2017.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Are any of you Cubs fans glad they didn’t try to con you with “we’re just a few off-season pieces away” and got prospects instead of comp picks everywhere they could?

Seems like this day has been coming since Tom’s “we aren’t spending money because we don’t have anymore” interview.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

KDdidit posted:

I’m in the hot take phase of grief, but all these talented guys managed to make teams worse than their individual parts. I don’t know if that’s on the front office, Ross, or player leadership, but you just couldn’t keep bringing them all back and expecting them to magically get better.

They lost a lot of good players to age or free agency over the years that they weren't willing to replace because of cheapness. Guys like Fowler and Zobrist were essential to their success in 2016. High on-base, good contact guys who could mask the strikeouts from the others. Instead they went bargain bin hunting for guys like a washed up Jason Kipnis, Daniel Descalso and Eric Sogard.

Bryant never turned into the perennial MVP candidate we thought he would. And there were some bad moves along the way. But big market teams can buy their way out of mistakes which the Cubs were unwilling to do. You can't lose good players year after year and not replace them. There was no reason why they couldn't have re-signed Castellanos and kept Darvish. Grabbed a halfway decent 2B like Wong or Hernandez in the offseason. Had a competent backup catcher to enter the season.

Everyone knew the Cubs weren't interested in competing and it helped crush their leverage in trades. It's one thing if they did what the White Sox did years back and got some valuable pieces. But they got clowned at the deadline and now have a future with one elite prospect and a bunch of lottery tickets. It's going to be a long time before the Cubs are competitive again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the ricketts family can eat poo poo

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Are any of you Cubs fans glad they didn’t try to con you with “we’re just a few off-season pieces away” and got prospects instead of comp picks everywhere they could?

Seems like this day has been coming since Tom’s “we aren’t spending money because we don’t have anymore” interview.

I think everyone knew this kind of day would come for a while when they saw that all their contracts were up around the same time. I just didn't think it would happen all at once, and I figured they'd keep Rizzo a Cub until he retired. Once they traded Rizzo I figured they'd at least keep Baez.

This along with the Marquee network junk makes me realize I probably just won't follow baseball anymore. If I do the easiest thing would be to get MLB.tv and pick a new team to follow.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

beejay posted:

the Marquee network

I realize what they were trying to evoke, but that logo seriously belongs on a bottle of booze.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Its also really cool how Wrigley is bombarded with ads now and looks more like a minor league stadium every year.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd say "it's going to be another century before they see another ring" but as long as the team's in the Ricketts' family they really may never try that hard again

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

beejay posted:

I think everyone knew this kind of day would come for a while when they saw that all their contracts were up around the same time. I just didn't think it would happen all at once, and I figured they'd keep Rizzo a Cub until he retired. Once they traded Rizzo I figured they'd at least keep Baez.

This along with the Marquee network junk makes me realize I probably just won't follow baseball anymore. If I do the easiest thing would be to get MLB.tv and pick a new team to follow.

Unless you're one of the Cubs fans who is serious about the crosstown "rivalry", watch the White Sox. They've got one of the best broadcast crews, they're on regular TV a lot (and basic cable the rest of the time) and they're very good and very fun. The ballpark is whatever and TLR sucks, but the food is good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they actually traded javier baez, i still can't believe it

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it rules

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

they actually traded javier baez, i still can't believe it

I double-checked the Mets roster when I woke up this morning just to make sure

:(

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm not naive enough to think that, "they should've re-signed everybody, kept the whole crew together...." The team's mostly been the same for the past several years, however they ascended in 2015, peaked in 2016, and then have been on a steady decline year-after-year ever since. Clearly the team hasn't been clicking, and something needed to be done. Keeping aging players that haven't met expectations, at least in terms of succeeding in the postseason, wasn't going to work. Trading the MLB talent for prospects was the right thing to do, but it sure as hell feels miserable. I checked the lineup card Friday, which is something I don't normally do because it's mostly been pretty predictable for years, because I was genuinely curious who was going to show up to play the game! I looked at the active roster and though, "who the hell are these guys?!?" I mean yeah I actually know who most of them are, but it feels like an empty shell of a team now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCnwJm1iBo

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

This article pretty much says it all to me: https://slate.com/culture/2021/07/cubs-kris-bryant-anthony-rizzo-javier-baez-trade.html

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Overall did they at least get decent hauls, on paper?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Overall did they at least get decent hauls, on paper?

who fuckin' cares

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

who fuckin' cares

I mean, I'd think Cubs fans would

When I rooted for Cleveland they had a knack for getting great value for the stars they traded, it made it easier to deal with.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they're a bunch of 19 year olds who will be good or won't be good in 5 years and if they do happen to be decent they'll be traded away the second they cost anything for a bunch of other anonymous 19 year olds.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

they're a bunch of 19 year olds who will be good or won't be good in 5 years and if they do happen to be decent they'll be traded away the second they cost anything for a bunch of other anonymous 19 year olds.

Yeah, this. This is the real problem. If I thought they would build around stuff they got back I wouldn't be so upset.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Cubs see also don't have a lot of success developing young players. Most of the talent they brought in were major league ready, not 19 year olds.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol i forgot that chicago literally named a street after him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'd read that as well as this article earlier today and it sums up my thoughts from my previous post. If any of us are upset with the loss of Rizzo/Baez/Kris or any of the other guys, well keep in mind that even with them the team was hovering around a losing record. Might as well trade them and get something in return rather than keep them for a couple more months and get nothing; you'd be kidding yourself if you thought they were miraculously going to put it together again and reach the postseason, considering the aforementioned decline over the past ~4 years.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to see any of them go (including Darvish/Caratini/Schwarber,) especially not basically everyone good at once, but let's be real, we've all been watching the same team. :sigh: