Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Ultra City, she don't care. She don't care whether you're rich and powerful, poor and desperate, or corrupt and comfortable. Your fortune and future is as precious as it is precarious. AMC brings Steve Conrad's (Patriot, Perpetual Grace LTD) vision of Alt-New York by way of the Uncanny Valley by way of a six-episode stop-motion animation. Everyone's a doll and nobody has an interior monologue. Some of them sing.

https://twitter.com/UltraCitySmiths/status/1416065086741942277

Ultra City's Great Bright Hope Carpenter (Kurtwood) Smith went out for cigarettes. He hasn't come back yet. It falls to rookie Detective David Mills (Jimmi Simpson) and his streetwise partner Gail Johnson Smith (Da'vine Joy Randolph) to track him down in a city full of drugs, sex, and crime.

Holy god this cast:

and a very part-time appearance by

The first two episodes are available now, with new episodes every Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Right now you need AMC+ to watch but if the air date on Amazon is anything to go by it'll hit regular AMC in September.

Also everything about John C Reilly's performance in episode two was amazing. I loved how he explained what needed to be done but still got mad when it happened.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I loved Patriot, never watched Perpetual Grace. I watched most of the first episode of this, didn't hook me. The show takes low energy to the extreme. I like Conrad so I'll keep going and at least watch the first 2 episodes to see if it picks up.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It's definitely my least favorite of the three shows but I think it's less "low energy" and more a blend of conrad's sensibilities with a more south park/team america gag a second vibe that doesn't quite work.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

First episode didn't click for me, but I was hooked by the end of two. I need to go back now.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm addicted to limes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I fuckin love how Conrad’s shows get weirder and more idiosyncratic. This show is so goddamned funny that I was completely hooked even before the plot got interesting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You never know when you'll need a second pair of pants.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I just noticed that Mills was hustling Donovan from the start, to include asking for the definition of what dancing something down meant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess you're supposed to assume Mills is the police station baby but seeing as nothing on this show is a straight line probably not. The thing kind of bothering me about episode 3 is revolvers don't eject shell casings.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I freaking love this poo poo. It's like what I enjoy about Patriot/Perpetual Grace condensed into a bite size morsel, and with some fun gags thrown in. Don't forget to do the rim-job knock!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I love that the sci-fi premise of all his shows is "what if everyone's internal monologue was external?"

Also, if Mills is the police station baby he's not precluded from also being a Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episode 5 update: oh my GOD