Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
The Green Knight

The Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6ksY8xWCY

The Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHMT2SuZhI

The Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLQiU8CflhY

The Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBEv8xjBJf8

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

The Green Knight

ONLY IN THEATERS

YOUR DOOM IS AT HAND

POST YOUR FAVORITE MEDIEVAL DOOM ART

HERE BE SPOILERS

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So the knight... he's like... green? What's all that about

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know absolutely nothing about this movie beyond "a retelling of an old Arthurian legend, kind of" and I've decided to go in totally blind and take a friend to go see it this evening. Very Excited!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Martman posted:

So the knight... he's like... green? What's all that about
He's a ghost, ghosts are green

Longer version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLQiU8CflhY

Bust Rodd posted:

I know absolutely nothing about this movie beyond "a retelling of an old Arthurian legend, kind of" and I've decided to go in totally blind and take a friend to go see it this evening. Very Excited!
Welcome back to the movies

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m going to see this in the theater this weekend. I am stoked. I don’t know what a stoked is but I am it.

I look forward to the Green Universe where the Green Knight teams up with The Green Giant, Godzilla, Swamp Thing, Man Thing, Poison Ivy, and the Hulk.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wanna see this but while my local theater is now open they haven't yet brought back my precious weekend morning shows. My favorite thing was to go at like 11am and have an entire row to myself, sometimes an entire theater to myself.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I saw it last night, it was great. Here is my spoiler free summary: I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of the story being adapted so despite knowing the broad strokes of the story from having read it in various forms while on an Arthurian legend kick I was kept on my toes the entire run time. It is GORGEOUS with a number of long take camera shots, no shot is wasted in this film. It is something I really appreciated, as there is never just a lame back and forth of close ups in conversation, if they cut to a close up it is designed to show you something. The acting across the board is excellent and the movie is not just some fantastical adventure, it has some cheeky humor in it too. This movie also has some of the chunkiest sound design I've ever heard and you will probably want to see it in theaters to get all the bass booming footsteps of the green knight in your ear. The thing that cemented it for me is the ending which I will explain in spoilers.

Ride, don't walk, to your nearest green chapel and see the green knight.

Edit: Ok now for my spoiler talk about the ending I will literally spoil the ending do not click: The ending was so loving good. The movie portrays Arthur in the twilight of his life, old and frail. The original tale has the green knight take his blow (a nick on the neck) while wearing his green sash and return semi-shamefully to the round table only to be absolved. In the movie, Gawain runs from the third blow instead and flees back to Camelot where he is greeted by his family and knighted by Arthur for returning. It then follows Gawain's life as Arthur passes and Gawain becomes King, has a son with his prostitute girlfriend who he cruelly abandons, the son dies in war, he marries a lady and his kingdom crumbles. All the while the sash never leaves his side. This culminates in enemies (or enemy, the green knight maybe?) banging down his door as Gawain finally pulls the green sash off through his tunic with the sound effects of ripping his own guts out and as it leaves his body his head falls off as it should have all those years ago. Smash cut back to Gawain in the chapel, he had been ruminating on this and rips the sash off and finally says he is ready to receive the third blow. It had been a vision/his thoughts, the life that cowardice would lead to. Gawain is a true knight, and he has his honor, he will do the right thing. The Green Knight loves it and you can tell it will follow the story with Gawain receiving a small cut instead, but the movie doesn't let you see it as the Green Knight very happily says "Lets cut that head off now!" and it cuts to the title, gloriously etched on a stump. ITS SO loving GOOD. Patel's acting in that final scene is already good but the change in his demeanor pre-vision/post-vision is so striking. It sells Gawain as an Arthurian knight.

Other little things I really liked:
-The ghost bit, because the ghost was played very cheekily
-Joel Edgerton's lord was great, and while I would have loved the exchange of winnings to be fully fleshed out like in the story, him taking a kiss from Gawain before they part was unexpected and exciting!
-Barry Koeghan's ruddy little scavenger \ bandit, what a perfect arsehole of a character
-Alicia Vikander plays both the Lady and a prostitute back home and her prostitute character's voice is adorable
-There is a specific shot of Gawain and the Green Knight in the chapel at the end of the movie that is aces, and it'd make a great poster
-Someone literally shouted NO!! in the theater when it panned around to the tied up Gawain as a skeleton after the bandits abandoned him in the woods. LOL, I loved that.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 30, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is the one film other than Dune I really want to see in theaters but with delta on the rise, even in a heavily vaccinated province I'm not gonna risk it. I hope it does well despite the odds stacked against it by the still continuing pandemic.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
I read the script a while back and it knocked my socks off. Sad not to see it in the theater like it deserves, but the pandemic situation is still pretty dicey.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
God loving drat it I really want to see this goddamn NOW.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Seeing this after work, so of course it's dead right now at work and time is moving at a crawl

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Aside from the basic outlines of the story, I know little about this film but it had me at Erin Kellyman appearing in it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just got home from seeing this, easily one of my favorite films I've ever seen, easily one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen and hands down the best Arthurian adaptation I've ever seen. I can't sing enough praises about The Green Knight.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Holy poo poo this cast was stacked

Dev Patel, Erin Kellyman, Alicia Vikander, AND Joel Edgerton?!?! *faints*

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Just got home from seeing this, easily one of my favorite films I've ever seen, easily one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen and hands down the best Arthurian adaptation I've ever seen. I can't sing enough praises about The Green Knight.

I very much had the "ohhh I'm getting the 4K UHD of this aren't I" thought at a number of points

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Jerkface posted:

the Green Knight very happily says "Lets cut that head off now!"

Actually his exact words, as I recall, are "now, off with your head" and he points away. I interpreted this as meaning "leave, with your head still on you".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol good spoiler edit ;)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Movie is loving fantastic. Much more fun and funnier than I thought it would be, but also melancholy and complex and multilayered and BEAUTIFUL. Amazing atmosphere and storytelling and cinematography and production design. I can already tell is an all-timer for me.

Going to go watch The Seventh Seal as a double feature.

Cross-Section posted:

I very much had the "ohhh I'm getting the 4K UHD of this aren't I" thought at a number of points

Got to give a Cinemascore after the movie, and there was a section about whether I would purchase a copy. I was bummed I had to select "Blu-ray" instead of "I need a 4K immediately."

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Spooky pagan Arthurian romance in the best way possible. What a rad movie.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Absolutely loved (Ending spoilers, pretty mild) Gawain in the chapel sitting there waiting for the Green Knight, audience was dead quiet, and especially then the nighttime scene where the knights eyes are cracked and you're staring at it and the dark is playing tricks on you, making the face seem like it's changing, very well done

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For those who have seen it, what’s the deal with the giants from the trailers? Is it part of the story or just a surreal scene during Gawain’s journey?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

RatHat posted:

For those who have seen it, what’s the deal with the giants from the trailers? Is it part of the story or just a surreal scene during Gawain’s journey?

the latter, as far as I could tell. really cool scene though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it makes sense that they're as real as the ghost or the talking fox or any of the other fantastical elements—which is, real as much as it concerns the narrative. Though I think this film has a lot to say about the way that history becomes myth and legend, so there's no reason to over-literalize it.

I mean, either that or he's still tripping on shrooms.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The movie has a Welsh legend unrelated to the original story of the Green Knight in it, and I think it's just borrowing more aspects from Welsh tales that involve Arthur or that time period.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Codependent Poster posted:

The movie has a Welsh legend unrelated to the original story of the Green Knight in it, and I think it's just borrowing more aspects from Welsh tales that involve Arthur or that time period.

Out of curiosity, which Welsh legend is this?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Out of curiosity, which Welsh legend is this?

This is a spoiler for an appearance in the movie, so be warned. Saint Winifred and a loose adaption of her story is told.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Codependent Poster posted:

This is a spoiler for an appearance in the movie, so be warned. Saint Winifred and a loose adaption of her story is told.

I really liked that that was in there. There was so much cool poo poo in this movie and they really effectively tied it into his journey of seeing all the ways he could be legit or poo poo.

Also I just absolutely 10,000% loved that long shot where he's slowly riding by a cliffside with that massive plesiosaur (?) fossil in it

I saw the director talk a bit about flicks that inspired him a lot while making the movie and among them was Willow, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Dark Crystal, and Coppola's Dracula, and you can really feel all of that in how the the movie handles stuff.

Great performances all around, I loved the portrayal of King Arthur in this too, it was really cool to see the character and the queen's makeup having them looking like they could drop dead any second.

This is just such a cool movie, I loved it, and the bits of humor in it all hit too.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
saw this today and absolutely loved it. dev patel was perfectly cast, actually everyone was. I especially liked the sketchy bandit kid. so many memorable images and moments. kinda wanna see it again soon. definitely getting the blu ray. gorgeous stuff.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I saw it tonight and liked it. I enjoyed how weird and atmospheric it was. It's how fantasy should be. It's how I wish The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings would have been rather than the more generic take that PJ did.

I did think that the bit with the witch in the manor went a little too long. I would have liked that part to be a bit shorter and maybe had another set piece instead.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i didn't have a great experience with the movie. it was beautiful and very loud at parts but overall didn't make any sense. an occult medieval movie should be right up my alley but I didn't understand what exactly was going on and was expecting some type of narrative payoff that never came. was the mom orchestrating all of this the entire time? how'd he get all his poo poo back? was there any wider point to the ghost bit? who was the old blindfolded lady? why did the horny lady give him the same sash and the same speech as his mom? why did they abandon the title cards?

i did miss a lot of dialogue. between the sniffing scratching sneezing and coughing this might have been my last time ever in a public theater.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 31, 2021

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i didn't have a great experience with the movie. it was beautiful and very loud at parts but overall didn't make any sense. an occult medieval movie should be right up my alley but I didn't understand what exactly was going on and was expecting some type of narrative payoff that never came. was the mom orchestrating all of this the entire time? how'd he get all his poo poo back? was there any wider point to the ghost bit? who was the old blindfolded lady? why did the horny lady give him the same sash and the same speech as his mom? why did they abandon the title cards?

i did miss a lot of dialogue. between the sniffing scratching sneezing and coughing this might have been my last time ever in a public theater.

I was one of about eight people in my showing (college town in the summer) and could barely hear the dialogue anyway because it was so... mumbly. An excellent argument in favor of CC or subtitles being the default for movie theaters.

If you're talking about the end, he didn't get his poo poo back for real, that was just him imagining leaving and living the rest of his life knowing he walked away. Getting the axe back from the ghost was Just Magic. the witch probably does the same stuff as his mom and could make the same type of sash, either that or it's Just Magic. Frankly I was wondering if there was supposed to be anything behind the rich witch and the girlfriend being played by the same actress. Blindfolded lady I think was intended as a callback to the blindfolded mom/witches at the beginning. She was standing there after he got the sash, right?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

PERMACAV 50 posted:

I was one of about eight people in my showing (college town in the summer) and could barely hear the dialogue anyway because it was so... mumbly. An excellent argument in favor of CC or subtitles being the default for movie theaters.

If you're talking about the end, he didn't get his poo poo back for real, that was just him imagining leaving and living the rest of his life knowing he walked away. Getting the axe back from the ghost was Just Magic. the witch probably does the same stuff as his mom and could make the same type of sash, either that or it's Just Magic. Frankly I was wondering if there was supposed to be anything behind the rich witch and the girlfriend being played by the same actress. Blindfolded lady I think was intended as a callback to the blindfolded mom/witches at the beginning. She was standing there after he got the sash, right?

He lost his axe and his horse and got them both back just through magic without any sensual investment. I guess the one point I can think of of the ghost scene is she said the green knight is someone you know. The mom was clearly up to some nonsense and it almost seemed like she summoned the GK. It somehow didn't occur to me she, being Arthur's sister, is Morgan lefay who is very naughty in most depictions.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

she, being Arthur's sister, is Morgan lefay who is very naughty in most depictions.

That really should have been mentioned (the character isn't even named in the credits); the last Arthurian anything I watched was the Mists of Avalon tv adaptation from like 20 years ago and I was struggling to remember if she was supposed to be someone. On that note, was the beardy guy with the face tattoos supposed to be Merlin?!

edit: Overall I liked it, but I think my principal issue with it was it assumed you already knew a lot about the King Arthur mythos. I found myself wishing on multiple occasions that I'd read it beforehand because there always seemed to be something I was missing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I don't think you really need any of that explained. The story isnt about them and everything you need to know is presented on screen. What more do you gain knowing his mom is Morgan le Fay? you literally see her do pagan magic and summon the green knight in the movie! I think the movie did well to push most of the Arthurian stuff to the back and focus fully on Gawain. If you're a fan of Arthurian legend you'll know that Merlin is there and that's Excalibur etc but it's completely unnecessary to understand the story!

Henker
May 5, 2009

Just saw it, thought it was fantastic. A really trippy, dreamlike fantasy/horror film steeped in metaphor; reminded me a lot of The Seventh Seal or various 80s fantasy movies like The Company of Wolves.

Also seems like a lot of people really don't understand the movie, based on reading user reviews.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You don't have to know the story but you're rewarded for doing so.

I think the movie deliberately spent more time on the things that didn't really get much detail in the written story. It's much more about the journey than the destination.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Henker posted:

Just saw it, thought it was fantastic. A really trippy, dreamlike fantasy/horror film steeped in metaphor; reminded me a lot of The Seventh Seal or various 80s fantasy movies like The Company of Wolves.

Also seems like a lot of people really don't understand the movie, based on reading user reviews.

I get a similar vibe here as the Adam Sandler fans who saw Uncut Gems and complained that it wasn't a comedy. Did casting Dev Patel really draw in the mainstream audience or something?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I haven't been to a theater in over a year so this was a good movie to go back to. This movie was visually stunning. A lot of you are right about the sound being bad but the sound effects for the Green Knight himself were great.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He lost his axe and his horse and got them both back just through magic without any sensual investment. I guess the one point I can think of of the ghost scene is she said the green knight is someone you know. The mom was clearly up to some nonsense and it almost seemed like she summoned the GK. It somehow didn't occur to me she, being Arthur's sister, is Morgan lefay who is very naughty in most depictions.

Two notes he didn't actually get the horse back, that was A Vision he was having before he decided to take off the sash. He got the axe back because of Green Knight magic so he could continue/complete his quest.

Also from what I recall Arthur had a few half-sisters and one of them was Gawain's mom; Morgan Le Fay is a different one who Arthur sleeps with (while drunk/ensorcelled??) and their son is Mordred. Also in later stories Gawain has two brothers who Lancelot accidentally kills, making them mortal enemies. The brothers and other sisters aren't mentioned tho so this might be using earlier legend logic or conflating some of the stuff, but then that does bring up an interesting dynamic that maybe Gawain is supposed to be Arthur's sister-son like Mordred which adds another layer to that whole dynamic.

(also also, when Gawain is staring at the Knight's face while he is sleeping I am pretty sure it was supposed to look like Arthur's, reinforcing the whole idea of him being the source of this pressure, so I assumed that was the "GK is someone you know" thing)

Anyway I really liked the movie. Did expect at least a small bit of action since most Arthurian stuff does have some fighting but everything was so beautiful and surreal I didn't care.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

For most of this movie I was actually pretty frustrated at how cynically and over-literally the original story was adapted. A lot of time is invested into exploring Gawain's psychological motivations for going on his quest, which boil down to personal ambition. That's certainly a valid interpretation of the poem, but I feel that less is more here. The poem simply presents Gawain's quest as motivated by an ideological commitment to honor, which invites the reader to consider a mostly alien way of thought. The movie does a lot of that work for the audience, presenting a slew of supporting characters presenting quite logical reasons why Gawain shouldn't go on a perilous journey to get his head cut off by a strange creature and how, actually, the desire to do so is toxic masculinity. A lot of the symbolism of the tone is also neutered by over-explanation, like the speech explaining why the Green Knight is green and having the princess give an evil handjob to Gawain while handing over the magic girdle.

The tone was also kind of a slog. The original poem glosses over most of Gawain's travels and spends the meat of the story at the manor, so I was annoyed at all of the grit-porn that took up most of the movie. The grim tone is really overbearing and never lets up for that trek. My assumption was that this was to draw out the story to feature length, that the movie was simply not confident in its ability to draw half an hour of material out of the events in the manor.

The last ten minutes, though, completely justified every decision Lowery made. It turns out that acting only out of self-preservation and forsaking the spiritual for the material actually has serious consequences. Gawain might be a little vain and naive for buying into honor, but there is something noble in honoring his promises and accepting the consequences of his actions, even when he could very easily get out of it. The sheer effort that Gawain puts into getting to the Green Knight has nothing to do with how he's perceived in Camelot, but it's necessary to his commitment. It's pretty easy to denounce the ideology of Arthurian legend, but it seemed like Lowery was interested in seriously considering its value and shortcomings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pospysyl posted:

The last ten minutes, though, completely justified every decision Lowery made. It turns out that acting only out of self-preservation and forsaking the spiritual for the material actually has serious consequences. Gawain might be a little vain and naive for buying into honor, but there is something noble in honoring his promises and accepting the consequences of his actions, even when he could very easily get out of it. The sheer effort that Gawain puts into getting to the Green Knight has nothing to do with how he's perceived in Camelot, but it's necessary to his commitment. It's pretty easy to denounce the ideology of Arthurian legend, but it seemed like Lowery was interested in seriously considering its value and shortcomings.

I felt some heavy parallels to Pinocchio in this respect (not the Disney movie but the book) where the point of the mom and Arthur's lesson and their take on honor is less about following exact rules or never/always doing a thing but more about accepting that all of this wild poo poo is out there and needs to be respected with good judgement if you want to survive (or be king if you want to stretch it). You see that with his interactions with the ghost and the lady also, he reaches out to touch the ghost who is like "WTF a knight should know better", he's hesitant with the lady even though she's the one coming on to him and deems him not even a knight from his lack of performance. I think spending so much more time on the journey was a good choice for this.

Unrelated but I haven't seen this one in decades and need to double feature it lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJzP13f0bs