Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
no, just a pitch perfect onion piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol i knew they were getting wiped in the midterms, but this is gonna be off the charts

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1421236682687451138?s=21

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol imagine Congress doing anything. America is a ship without a rudder. every man for themselves. throw the children overboard before they give you the plague.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6FT1niNGh4

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the nation is going to collapse and we deserve it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stereotype posted:

it really is a cursed nation.

like they built it on a native american burial ground or something.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtdu1on2aI

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

It didn’t collapse when it split in half and 3% of the entire population died but it this time it totally will

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I’m a huge stupid bitch baby and I use my constantly full daipy as my source of news and fellas… it ain’t lookin’ good

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I mean the only reason this thing isn’t overflowing is surface tension and every time I look at it I think “this portends the imminent end of the United States and it’s institutions”

What is to be done?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
china can you please annex alaska and the west coast already

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

We produce 99% of America’s hazelnuts but China still produces more. As far as I know this is the only remaining roadblock to negotiations for us

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fortaleza posted:

It didn’t collapse when it split in half and 3% of the entire population died but it this time it totally will

man are you going to be shocked when you hear what the ifr of covid is lmao.

we aren’t even going to pretend to try this time. the hospitals are already full and we are just getting started

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah tell us more about how millions are going to die in the next few months. Every ounce of misery you feel is of your own making and everyone here knows it you silly little paradise-dwelling oval office. gently caress you!!

No but really I hope you’re well man take care of yourself, I’m rooting for ya. Weren’t you hoping to get some work done on the place before things locked down? I seem to remember it being a bigass project

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah we finished everything right in time. moved back in january 2020. things are going pretty well ignoring that i'm watching a slow motion train wreck that i started yelling about nearly 3 weeks ago and everyone was all upset at me about it.

i need therapy to teach me how to not give a poo poo about other people i guess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fortaleza posted:

Yeah tell us more about how millions are going to die in the next few months. Every ounce of misery you feel is of your own making and everyone here knows it you silly little paradise-dwelling oval office. gently caress you!!

oh, didn’t know that stereotype lived in pittsburgh.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Stereotype posted:

yeah we finished everything right in time. moved back in january 2020. things are going pretty well ignoring that i'm watching a slow motion train wreck that i started yelling about nearly 3 weeks ago and everyone was all upset at me about it.

i need therapy to teach me how to not give a poo poo about other people i guess

You care plenty and should, but you can do it without making yourself miserable. Can’t tell you how to get there but it’s certainly possible and doable

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

canada gets alaska

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fortaleza posted:

You care plenty and should, but you can do it without making yourself miserable. Can’t tell you how to get there but it’s certainly possible and doable

you know how in that one episode of Band of Brothers where they're in the forest and they keep getting shelled by artillery? they all hunker down and there are explosions all around and when they come out a bunch of their friends are dead, just random luck. and it keeps happening.

i feel like i'm watching the shells coming down and most people aren't even in their foxholes, they are just wandering around eating brunch and going to bars. i'm anticipating getting out of mine to find a bunch of dead and maimed friends

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

man are you going to be shocked when you hear what the ifr of covid is lmao.

we aren’t even going to pretend to try this time. the hospitals are already full and we are just getting started

yes. according to my wife they are "opening 'er up" with the covid ward icu hospital bed configurations now, again

except this time around it's like mostly unvaccinated (and immunocompromised) people now, which reminder, isn't just oldass republican voters

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
people really freaking out over delta seems kinda odd because didn’t the UK just go through this and their spike lasted like a month? it seems to burn itself out quickly.

now if the media and everyone weren’t deciding to run with “breakthrough infections! zomg!” as the story, maybe the fear of dying to covid would get people to take the fuckin shot

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the problem is that while the UK is hellworld minor (giving up their hellworld major status to the US after the sun finally started setting on the british empire) they actually *do* have a public health system, as lovely and underfunded and transphobic as it is, and both a smaller population overall and much fewer people who are in an ultraconservative death cult. they don't *want* to get their poo poo together, but begrudgingly, they can.

meanwhile in Freedomland™, you have 100+ million people who are literally willing to let their entire families die choking into a ventilator if it means "those people" might have to suffer as well. they 100% will refuse to not take any public health measures and will probably do everything they can to circumvent other people doing their part.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yepppp

like i'm mostly concerned about being forced back into the office by my dumbass boss, or morons not masking up at the grocery store, because while i'll probably survive catching a breakthrough (delta or not), with mild symptoms or even simply carrying it home asymptomatically, it will absolutely ravage everyone in my household that isn't me or my wife

i have a 4 year old and an 18 month old here, even the regularass flu is a serious, serious concern

as a matter of fact our current quarantine, from daycare exposure (two kids who are siblings in my eldest's classroom tested positive, no further cases thank god), ends tomorrow. 10 days wfh with a 4 year old were tough, and i wasn't even the only one in that quarantine scenario at my tinyass office this week

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 31, 2021

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SmokaDustbowl posted:

canada indigenous peoples gets alaska back

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I swear Snow Crash, Stand On Zanzibar, and The Sheep Look Up are looking more prophetic by the day

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
so glad i didn't vote for this poo poo

https://twitter.com/writtenbyhanna/status/1420891243723337731?s=21

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Democrats are the party of making the government work, obstructionism would drive voters away!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stringent posted:

so glad i didn't vote for this poo poo

euphoric even??

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

President Beep posted:

euphoric even??

i had to look up the etymology, but yeah i'd say euphoric is the perfect word for it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
delta didn’t get too insane in the uk because schools are out and it’s summer the big question will be the variant we have in november

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dude looks like he’s never backed down from a tub of ice cream

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/speakerpelosi/status/1421268690461413379?s=21

stop evictions?
no, funding the police!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
so Congress all agreed they needed to pay their paramilitary bodyguards more, and then went home. I guess there isn’t anything else going on really.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Stereotype posted:

so Congress all agreed they needed to pay their paramilitary bodyguards more, and then went home. I guess there isn’t anything else going on really.

idk if I was about to let eviction protections lapse then I’d probably want to have more security for completely unrelated reasons

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

kitten emergency posted:

idk if I was about to let eviction protections lapse then I’d probably want to have more security for completely unrelated reasons

right, they took care of that, time to go home

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Stringent posted:

lol i knew they were getting wiped in the midterms, but this is gonna be off the charts

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1421236682687451138?s=21

Lol, a bunch of them have been blaming the republicans. I don't know how well that excuse works when you have the majority on both the house and senate though.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol, a bunch of them have been blaming the republicans. I don't know how well that excuse works when you have the majority on both the house and senate though.

don't worry that excuse will be a lot more convincing soon enough

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1421134173805350913

same

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnxLhAzvleI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

kitten emergency posted:

people really freaking out over delta seems kinda odd because didn’t the UK just go through this and their spike lasted like a month? it seems to burn itself out quickly.

now if the media and everyone weren’t deciding to run with “breakthrough infections! zomg!” as the story, maybe the fear of dying to covid would get people to take the fuckin shot

as to "maybe the fear of dying to covid would get people to take the fuckin shot" I don't really think it's gonna work, because even if you don't take the shot and don't give a poo poo and live in place where they don't give a poo poo, your personal chance of dying from COVID is still really small. Even in Sweden, where they pretty much just said "gently caress it" you had something like a 90% chance of not getting covid at all so far. To be clear I don't think this means you shouldn't be careful I think that sweden hosed it up by not protecting themselves more, it's just it makes it hard for people to really gauge their individual risks. Especially when it's this low probability affair. People are really bad at dealing with that kind of risk mentally, and we're also bad at understanding it, because it's easy to say "oh poo poo everyone just has a 1-2% chance of getting in trouble, gently caress I'll roll those dice," but that means millions and millions of big troubles when everyone in the country is rolling the dice.

The best way I think to make people get the shot is to emphasize how bad the disease is. Like around the start of the pandemic my dad, who is like Bernie Sanders' age, and by no means a right-winger, was really blase' about things until he started reading clinical reports of people stuck on ventilators and having crazy heart/liver/brain problems and then having nightmares. It's the same thing with crime stuff, where instead of talking about how rarely big violent crimes are they talk about how nasty each individual one is and everyone gets scared.

Zaxxon fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 31, 2021