Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Remember ten years ago when SA posters unanimously argued, very thoroughly and persuasively, that bitcoin is a bullshit scam house of cards and tasty rat poison for greedy suckers? I'm beginning to suspect that maybe I could have spared a few bucks to throw in there, just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

when i get my money right i'm buyin the forums and throwin the mods in2 the ocean

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Clitcoin

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
If you could predict the future and know which idiotic poo poo to speculate on, you’d be rich. Probably from buying lottery tickets. Bitcoin would still be idiotic.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

That's nice dear, text me and your father when you land and get into the concourse. Lots of love

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hell Yeah posted:

when i get my money right i'm buyin the forums and throwin the mods in2 the ocean

Wow mods???

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

ye olde butte coin

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Wtf is a bit coin? Doggie coin is where it’s at

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Bitcoin didn't succeed at what it wanted to do but it does live on as yet another way for criminals and the wealthy to hide their money. It is a digital Canary Islands.

So it's more like Elon Musk giving up on Tesla and SpaceX to start up a global drug smuggling network. He's still successful but now his success is based purely on illegal activities instead of all the fun future gizmos he promised.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The problem was for the longest time there was no real way to cash out without risking having it stolen by scammers.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm glad I missed out on early bit coin mining since knowing my luck I would have either lost my wallet in a hard drive crash or straight up forgot my password on it and now I would want to kill myself.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my computer is mining eth and other random coins through nicehash and i get paid in bitcoin so i have almost $300 worth of bitcoin so far

i didnt really clue in, i managed to get a 3070 before scalpers went nuts and i was wondering why the prices went bonkers so i guess about 2 months ago i started using it to mine when im not playing games on it

i have a gaming chamber where my sim rig is and it uses around ~.60 or less cents a day in hydro for a $5+ day pay.

:shrug:

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 31, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I see the thread finally forked much like bitcoin into bitcoin xt(?) and/or bitcoin unlimited(??) and/or bitcoin classic(???)

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Bitcoin is the final form of capitalism. People just burning resources to make a number go up without producing anything except planet-killing carbon dioxide. It is the digital version of Moloch's furnace.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Yaldabaoth posted:

Bitcoin is the final form of capitalism. People just burning resources to make a number go up without producing anything except planet-killing carbon dioxide. It is the digital version of Moloch's furnace.

gold and paper money is also worth nothing unless society puts a worth on it. it's all the same poo poo. we could make pig balls a currency and assign it's worth (a million per killogram) and trade in pig balls and create an international trading federation of pig balls and it will be worth so much money we will take over the markets and have all the balls

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

gold and paper money is also worth nothing unless society puts a worth on it. it's all the same poo poo. we could make pig balls a currency and assign it's worth (a million per killogram) and trade in pig balls and create an international trading federation of pig balls and it will be worth so much money we will take over the markets and have all the balls

no

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Mescal posted:

Remember ten years ago when SA posters unanimously argued, very thoroughly and persuasively, that bitcoin is a bullshit scam house of cards and tasty rat poison for greedy suckers? I'm beginning to suspect that maybe I could have spared a few bucks to throw in there, just in case

It would have been stolen about 100 times over by now

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Buttecoin

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
If you put your money into everything goons said was dumb you would have starved years ago. We've criticized a lot of stuff.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
it still very much is a bullshit scam house of cards and tasty rat poison for greedy suckers but if you regret not gambling your money as a greedy sucker thats your choice

we've spent 10+ years dissecting the dozens of hows and whys it is a bullshit scam house of cards and tasty rat poison for greedy suckers, the fundamentals are clear

whats also clear is this: the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain alive

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

hm yes just gonna gamble my pension in a ponzi scheme that a goon caused a major crash in with a single forum post :hmmyes:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Block chain money use electric to make less than a fraction of a penny whoops world dead

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Lol @ all the goons who wasted time on folding@home instead of mining for buttcoins

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

super sweet best pal posted:

The problem was for the longest time there was no real way to cash out without risking having it stolen by scammers.

Is there a way to cash out now? I guess some legitimate companies use it now, so you could buy assets with bitcoin and resell for real cash, but are there banks or something that will do a direct transaction of bitcoin to dollars or whatever?

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
i don't know anything about bitcoin. I don't really understand what farming them even means

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Schweinhund posted:

Lol @ all the goons who wasted time on folding@home instead of mining for buttcoins

Gonna use my millions in Bitcoin to buy out cancer.

Joke's on you, suckas, I own all the cancer now.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Schweinhund posted:

i've been running folding@home on my 3090 while i've been working lately to keep the studio warm. it's nice to know that you're saving lives instead of supporting kidnapping and blackmailing

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
more like Buttcoin thread 2

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

chaosbreather posted:

...saving lives instead of supporting kidnapping and blackmailing

*In extremely libertarian voice* Sounds like someone still has some growing up to do.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Bitcoin doesn't exist op, you are imagining it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't even have a computer,

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lol I remember that OP.

I console myself with the fact that even if I had got some back then, I would have sold them well before it made me rich anyway.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

it's all the same poo poo.

No Bitcoin specifically is extra evil because by design it takes increasing amounts of pollution to generate the same "value". It is a very good example of Jevon's paradox. Which Jenova was named for. Which is basically perfect, because Bitcoin is like Meteor.

Civilization was pretty cool though. LMAO

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

lol I remember that OP.

I console myself with the fact that even if I had got some back then, I would have sold them well before it made me rich anyway.

this is precisely what happened to many notable coiners, such as dog dick coffee table guy

sold his butts for 20 bucks to buy a prius and then got stung real hard for tax evasion

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 31, 2021

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

chaosbreather posted:

i've been running folding@home on my 3090 while i've been working lately to keep the studio warm. it's nice to know that you're saving lives instead of supporting kidnapping and blackmailing

Dude, can you breathe? You know you can't live on your own farts, right?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I predict that when goons start buying buttcoins en masse is when it will finally collapse so go right ahead op

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I like the ocean. :shrug:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah and if I knew I'd fall I'd would have just lied down. It's easy to be a loving prophet when looking back.

Buttcoin.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Remember that time someone bought a full auto "eurasian" shotgun with bitcoins and suddenly realized the ATF exists or the drug dealer asking reddit on how to recover a box full of fentanyl stolen by teenagers not because of public safety concerns but because it would eat into the cryptocurrency drug profits or one guy stealing water from a neighboring county in a California to grow bootleg weed and selling it for bitcoins and telling people to "compete with me" after failing to provide any photos of proof of the very legit grow op or when elon musk crashed at least 25% of bitcoin's :airquote: value :airquote: because he went on saturday night live or the time someone thought bitcoin was a self-organizing collective intelligence and thus the most useful progression of all humanity since the neocortex of the mammilian brain or the canister of liquid nitrogen spilling on a rug to cool a bitcoin mining rig

Probably more in the yospos threads but(t) still :bitcoin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Remember the guy that bought a pizza with a whole lot of bitcoin? Man, that's one expensive pizza