Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Tormented posted:

How is Battlefield V? How does it stack up to Battlefield 1 as I'm enjoying it without any DLC.

I know its coming free next week to Twitch Prime.

As others have mentioned, it has good and bad points. I still play it regularly because aside from horse murder, BF1 just didn't quite scratch the itch for me.

Good points: movement/mantling, squad revives, calling in arty or other reinforcements, constructing fortifications, hitching and moving AT or AA weapons.

Bad points: Assault having the best of most worlds (AT rocket, dynamite, assault rifles like the STG44), weapons sometimes wildly unbalanced (sten and bren come to mind), and the usual bugs related to spawning and the like.

The biggest negative imo, though this is typical for a lot of fps's these days, is the unlock system for weapons/vehicles, which in some cases make weapons/vehicles considerably better (eg, better accuracy for a weapon, more powerful cannon on a tank, faster/more maneuverable aircraft).

Each level unlocks a new tier, but you can only reset your choices once you complete all tiers (so better make a good choice and don't nerf yourself!), 4 for launch vehicles(UK/Germany), 6 for Pacific update (USA/Japan). And instead of being a class of vehicle (fighter/bomber, light/medium/heavy tank), it's individual vehicles. So you get to slog through unlocking your way through 2 flavours each of Spitfire/ME109/P51/Corsair/Zero, or a Valentine/Sherman/Panzer IV.

As someone who just finished up grinding out the unlocks for the Pacific aircraft:shepface:, the difference between stock and tier 6 is ridiculous, and I really hope they haven't done the same for 2042.

If it's free, I'd give it a whirl for the change of pace (I did the same for BFH at a friend's behest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Xander77 posted:

Downloaded Battlefield 1 with the Amazon Prime trial.

Stupid question - how exactly do I access the campaign challenges \ codex entries from in-game?

Also, any tips on plane controls? I've tried controlling the plane with mouse and keyboard (outright impossible) and gamepad (slightly less impossible, but still absolutely terrible) both, and neither allowed me to shoot down a single enemy plane after 5 minutes of "dogfighting" during the starting mission.

Fairly sure the plane controls in the mission are completely different than multiplayer lol :dice:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hell if it's free give it a go. I put 100+ hours into V and and it's fine mostly. But the pacific maps are better which you probs won't get for free, though you will get Mercury which is just a beautiful map imo.

The one thing I don't like about BFV is how hard it is to see enemies. Going back to BF1 and BF4 I always end up doing far, far better, especially if the map has a darker or more muted palette which is all the vanilla V maps. Part of this may be a lack of spotting which I actually prefer, but player models in general do blend in more because visually V just shoves so much detail at you.

I keep it installed because breakthrough on the pacific maps is legit good but you have to get lucky with more balanced teams, though in fairness that's true of all battlefields. The infantry gunplay is good too.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hell if it's free give it a go. I put 100+ hours into V and and it's fine mostly. But the pacific maps are better which you probs won't get for free, though you will get Mercury which is just a beautiful map imo.

Eh, should get Pacific included, BFV didn't have paid dlc in order to avoid splitting the playerbase (instead they just introduced a bunch of skins for $$$).

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

jisforjosh posted:

Fairly sure the plane controls in the mission are completely different than multiplayer lol :dice:

I think it uses the same controls, you just can’t roll fully inverted, only to like, 60* or something.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

StevoMcQueen posted:

Eh, should get Pacific included, BFV didn't have paid dlc in order to avoid splitting the playerbase (instead they just introduced a bunch of skins for $$$).

Oh yeah of course! Been in bf4/1 mode too much recently.

In that case definitely give it a go for free and find pacific map servers.

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020
Been enjoying the model 1900 and gas grenades in BF1, but I can't seem to get the model 1900 slug to work for me. Seems wildly inconsistent compared to the factory variant

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

BFV's biggest sin is being a WW2 game that for almost a year didn't have any majorly known (in the US atleast) battles of WW2 and did not feel like WW2

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Did they ever revert the TTK changes they made to BFV? I bailed after they tried to cram that down everyone's throats the second time and stopped paying attention after that.

Captain Beans posted:

Is this a bad thing though?

There are a lot of great BF1 ops maps that never get played because they are the 2nd or 3rd map in the OPs string.
Yeah I never quite got the hate for that change myself. It could have been handled better but getting stuck on the first set of attack points for three whole tries sucked rear end don't @ me

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Downloaded Battlefield 1 with the Amazon Prime trial.

Stupid question - how exactly do I access the campaign challenges \ codex entries from in-game?

Also, any tips on plane controls? I've tried controlling the plane with mouse and keyboard (outright impossible) and gamepad (slightly less impossible, but still absolutely terrible) both, and neither allowed me to shoot down a single enemy plane after 5 minutes of "dogfighting" during the starting mission.

Gamepad, switch the inputs to "southpaw" and "legacy" to put roll on the left stick and throttle on the triggers. Much more manageable.

This is coming from someone who just got it off Amazon Prime as well though, so not familiar with BF's flight model. I'm most used to flying in GTA5 if that helps.

Julius CSAR posted:

I think it uses the same controls, you just can’t roll fully inverted, only to like, 60* or something.

Yeah, prevents you from rolling all the way which makes for awkward handling trying to follow a craft that is rolling over.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Insert name here posted:

Did they ever revert the TTK changes they made to BFV? I bailed after they tried to cram that down everyone's throats the second time and stopped paying attention after that.

Yeah, 6.2 back in March of 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtiQvAhx3v0&t=74s

Edit: I still see to this day on Reddit that the TTK is too fast in BFV and that it's not "skilled" to be able to kill people faster :thunk:

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 30, 2021

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Anyways, what's the modern Dicks-Chord for goon shenanigans? Primarily BF1 goons.

this one. I cant find the thread for it if there is one.
https://discord.gg/kV2HaFf

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah, 6.2 back in March of 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtiQvAhx3v0&t=74s

Edit: I still see to this day on Reddit that the TTK is too fast in BFV and that it's not "skilled" to be able to kill people faster :thunk:
Oh cool maybe I'll check out BFV again

Also literally :lol:ing at that video reminding me that the TTK changes made the MG42 take 11 bullets to kill someone

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Apparently "if you pick up any weapon, your binoculars disappear" is a bug that's been around for years and was never fixed?

I don't imagine this game \ Origin in general has any user mods, particularly of the bug-fixing kind?

If you go out of bounds as the pigeon in the tank campaign (and I did, because I couldn't figure out the flying controls)... you fail the mission, ragdoll, and fall down. Been a while since a game really made me laugh out loud.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Friggin need to buy the dang premium pass to get like half the guns in BF1 are you making GBS threads me EA I just want a scoped Ross rifle so I can do my dumb Canadian cosplay like I do in every Battlefield game :argh:

Really glad that's not going to be a thing in 2042.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kazinsal posted:

Friggin need to buy the dang premium pass to get like half the guns in BF1 are you making GBS threads me EA I just want a scoped Ross rifle so I can do my dumb Canadian cosplay like I do in every Battlefield game :argh:

Really glad that's not going to be a thing in 2042.

You can get BF1 Revolutions (which I'm pretty sure has 100% of the dlc) for 5 bux on steam right now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Beans posted:

You can get BF1 Revolutions (which I'm pretty sure has 100% of the dlc) for 5 bux on steam right now.

It does, that's how I originally got into BF1 in the first place.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

:toot: Thanks friend, hopefully it integrates with my existing progress on the Origin/EA Desktop version smoothly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Finally completed the single player campaign in Battlefield 1 (except for the plane parts, gently caress those).

Decided to try multiplayer. Quickmatch sent me to a team deathmatch, where I got killed 10 times over the course of two minutes, and then we lost.

Decided to join an operation - server settings don't allow you to spawn with the default weapons for any class.

Is there a way to play with goons?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Finally completed the single player campaign in Battlefield 1 (except for the plane parts, gently caress those).

Decided to try multiplayer. Quickmatch sent me to a team deathmatch, where I got killed 10 times over the course of two minutes, and then we lost.

Decided to join an operation - server settings don't allow you to spawn with the default weapons for any class.

Outside of jumping in the discord/adding goons on Origin, your best bet for a normal multiplayer experience is to stay away from quickmatch. Use the server browser and join community run servers.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Outside of jumping in the discord/adding goons on Origin, your best bet for a normal multiplayer experience is to stay away from quickmatch. Use the server browser and join community run servers.
What's the discord? It's not in the OP (as far as I can tell).

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Xander77 posted:

What's the discord? It's not in the OP (as far as I can tell).

also the plane campaign is the best one despite the wonky plane controls.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Xander77 posted:

That's actually pretty good, quick match usually puts me in an empty server on PS4

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Moderately fun fact about the final mission of the campaign - I missed a bunch of long-range silenced shots at a guy (investigating my initial position) and every single Ottoman soldier just tromped out of the village to investigate. Made blowing up the armored vehicles a breeze.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Inspector Hound posted:

That's actually pretty good, quick match usually puts me in an empty server on PS4

yea quick match is legit the worst way to try and join matches in BF1. its outstandingly bad how it works, impressive really.

same with the server browser filter selection, it loving confuses me every time with the way the box selection works. YES / NO / NULL

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Moderately fun fact about the final mission of the campaign - I missed a bunch of long-range silenced shots at a guy (investigating my initial position) and every single Ottoman soldier just tromped out of the village to investigate. Made blowing up the armored vehicles a breeze.

I snuck up and dynamited one without being spotted, but then the whole village came to check it out. Tried to "sneak" up on the others and realized there were no enemies anywhere near either.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’ve used quick match every time I’ve ever played BF1 (like 1000+ matches) and it’s been perfect except for the 5 or so times it’s put me in an empty lobby

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Philman posted:

also the plane campaign is the best one despite the wonky plane controls.

The plane campaign could have been the best one if it wasn’t for those controls.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kibayasu posted:

The plane campaign could have been the best one if it wasn’t for those controls.

I don't care what they were, just wish that they were the same as multiplayer. That's all I really want. Make them bound to the same keybinds so I could have used the plane campaign for practice.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Will this finally be the greatest moment in PC Gaming History? Is he coming back to us?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i wanna drive the three person golf cart so bad my stomach hurts

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Battlefield 1 kinda forgot about the eastern front. To be fair, it's kind of treated as a sideshow in Russia as well, with the civil war being considered much more important.

But surely when depicting the sequel, where the majority of fighting was done by \ in the USSR, this error be fixed.

In addition to the brave Tommies, gallant French-colonial soldiers and flamboyant Americans, you can also play as... the Nazis. Cool. Cool cool cool cool.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Xander77 posted:

Battlefield 1 kinda forgot about the eastern front. To be fair, it's kind of treated as a sideshow in Russia as well, with the civil war being considered much more important.

But surely when depicting the sequel, where the majority of fighting was done by \ in the USSR, this error be fixed.

In addition to the brave Tommies, gallant French-colonial soldiers and flamboyant Americans, you can also play as... the Nazis. Cool. Cool cool cool cool.

There is a whole DLC on the eastern front for BF1?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Beans posted:

And it’s pretty good too.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
And it had civil war maps too

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Poor USSR, nobody ever remembers them and they're sad, cold, and lonely :(

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Xander77 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zza3ofZ0Q

:question::question::question:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

A whole DLC? Wow. That's a lot (for one half of the war). I have the base game (from Amazon Prime), so.. that's not included. I'm assuming it doesn't come with a single player story?

Since I got the same :actually: answer five times in a row, I understand that Battlefield 5 doesn't even have that much?

Edit - I'm not really into Russian nationalism (for very obvious reasons), but not giving the people who won the war even token representation is... kinda weird.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 3, 2021

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bf dlc never come with SP campaigns.

I’m so glad they finally dropped SP entirely for 2042

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Symetrique posted:

I’m so glad they finally dropped SP entirely for 2042

they did one better and brought back the best way for a Battlefield game to have SP:

bot matches