Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just went to see an FCF show here in good ol Finland. It was free, open air and early in the day so there were lots of families with smaller kids there.

Behind me sat a boy who couldnt have been older than six. Proper smark, consistently booing the faces and cheering the heels. His mom asked why he liked or didnt like the wrestlers and I think he said the bad guys were funnier.

Until the main event, which was a 3-on-3 with the heel champion Juhana King Kong Karhula on one side and his likely challenger Ioni on the other. Babyface team also had the recently debuted Ken Kallio who is a positive and brave wrestler but kind of scrawny and inexperienced. His catchphrase is HIIOHOI! and the crowd responds by repeating it. I guess that boy behind me really liked that because he was hollerin it louder every time and started to cheer for the face team.

Well, the heel team was cheating every chance they got and the kid was getting upset. When the much bigger heel champion started to whoop Ken Kallio, the boy sounded like he was in tears. MOM!!! THEY ARE CHEATING!!!!!! he said at one point. And when the babyfaces were able to snag the victory, the kid flipped out.

Kids getting worked owns, psot ur story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
in middle school everyone agreed that wcw was "less fake" than wwf

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

We didnt have WCW here but everyone watched Smackdown. All the kids who were in the know knew that Tazzmission was the deadliest submission move out of them all

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

We didnt have WCW here but everyone watched Smackdown. All the kids who were in the know knew that Tazzmission was the deadliest submission move out of them all

they're right

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
As a child I tried to explain to the other kids that Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were actually friends

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

When the undertaker died to Yokozuna I demanded to make dinner that evening(chicken nuggets) and led my family in a prayer for his soul

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That DICK! posted:

When the undertaker died to Yokozuna I demanded to make dinner that evening(chicken nuggets) and led my family in a prayer for his soul

Ahahahahaha

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That DICK! posted:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
when I was at king of the ring 99 I said "Man that sucks" to my friend after Billy Gunn won. Some 5-year-old turned around real mad and said "You suck! Billy Gunn rules!"

turns out that kid was right about everything

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
When I was a kid I was convinced that, yes, wrestlers are cooperating with each other but the finishes aren't pre-determined, rather, they're playing sort of a physical strategy game with each other and there's an element of real competition, but the moves they do are practiced before hand so nobody gets hurt

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestling has always been real.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

when i was a kid i thought the wrestlers could feel pain when they got hit while we played just bring it. like if someone punched stone cold he would feel it that moment in real life

i think this is less getting worked and more being an idiot child though

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
when i was like 6 i was watching wrestling with my dad and i asked him "is this real" and he said "well, what do you think?" and I said "I think it is!" and he told me "well it looks like you take after your mother because youre a dipshit"

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i didnt get what he meant so i still thought it was real

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

El Generico posted:

When I was a kid I was convinced that, yes, wrestlers are cooperating with each other but the finishes aren't pre-determined

So, every Hulk Hogan match where he was supposed to lose before.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i was at an roh tv taping an hour outside of pittsburgh in northern west virginia in 2014 when aj styles was iwgp champ and occasionally worked roh as well. there was an injury angle in an undercard match between tadarius thomas and a young adam page which promted this convo between a small child and an older man who was probably his grandfather sitting in front of me:

kid: is he going to be alright?
granddad: yes he'll get medical treatment
kid: they're tv stars, i'm sure they're both millionaires!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I turned on TNT the week after the final episode of Nitro and was surprised not to see Shane McMahon's WCW.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Generico posted:

When I was a kid I was convinced that, yes, wrestlers are cooperating with each other but the finishes aren't pre-determined, rather, they're playing sort of a physical strategy game with each other and there's an element of real competition, but the moves they do are practiced before hand so nobody gets hurt

As a kid I believed they'd just send everyone out to wrestle, and the endings were determined on the fly by the referee, based on how good the wrestlers did in the ring and how loudly the crowd reacted.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

As a kid I believed they'd just send everyone out to wrestle, and the endings were determined on the fly by the referee, based on how good the wrestlers did in the ring and how loudly the crowd reacted.

Running a real wrestling company like an E Fed for a month would be funny.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Running a real wrestling company like an E Fed for a month would be funny.

So, have each wrestler cut a promo, put them both online, and let the viewers vote on which one was better, and whoever wins the vote, that's who wins the match?

That's honestly not a terrible idea.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm in an e-fedding community and I almost never cut promos so my characters only win because they are naturally incredibly cool and good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Generico posted:

So, have each wrestler cut a promo, put them both online, and let the viewers vote on which one was better, and whoever wins the vote, that's who wins the match?

That's honestly not a terrible idea.

It's kind of how DG's Owarai (comedy) title used to work before they retired it. They'd do a comedy match and then poll the crowd, and whoever got the biggest reaction won the belt.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

one time my family got a fruit basket with a ball of wax cheese. i never seen that before so i asked my brother he said it was chinese cheese, and that it was veyr good, and that i should bite right into it. it wasn't and i almost threw up and he laughed! not wrestling related but i did get worked.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

think i told this one elsewhere but here goes: when i was a kid on vacation in wildwood new jersey every yera we'd go see the local wrestling show on the boardwalk and they'd have wrestlers out there hockin the show. king kong bundy, jimmy superfly snuka, all the stars were there. but then i met a young guy who looked a ton like rey mysterio jr., who was it turns out was actually his brother, dave mysterio! i love rey mysterio and i go crazy over this, he was insanely nice to me, said when he did his finishing move that night he would dedicate it to me and sure enough, when he hit that freaking moonsault, he pointed me out in the crowd. i had his autograph on my childhood bedroom wall well into adulthood

well it turns out there's no freaking dave mysterio. there's no dave mysterio at all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

little munchkin posted:

There was a brief shining moment when they had some really cool athletes doing technical stuff like dean malenko chain-wrestling people and it made the wrestling nerds happy.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That DICK! posted:

think i told this one elsewhere but here goes: when i was a kid on vacation in wildwood new jersey every yera we'd go see the local wrestling show on the boardwalk and they'd have wrestlers out there hockin the show. king kong bundy, jimmy superfly snuka, all the stars were there. but then i met a young guy who looked a ton like rey mysterio jr., who was it turns out was actually his brother, dave mysterio! i love rey mysterio and i go crazy over this, he was insanely nice to me, said when he did his finishing move that night he would dedicate it to me and sure enough, when he hit that freaking moonsault, he pointed me out in the crowd. i had his autograph on my childhood bedroom wall well into adulthood

well it turns out there's no freaking dave mysterio. there's no dave mysterio at all.

Dave Mysterio is real in your heart.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I thought Giant Gonzales really had muscles under that muscle suit but that he was trying to hide an embarrassing tattoo by wearing that suit

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

little munchkin posted:

I always thought WCW was more fake than WWF. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

There was a brief shining moment when they had some really cool athletes doing technical stuff like dean malenko chain-wrestling people and it made the wrestling nerds happy.

Yea they'd have undercard matches where the storyline was "it's a wrestling match", unlike the attitude era wwf where you couldn't do d'lo brown vs headbanger mosh without a fake pregnancy angle or whatever