Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Trying out my first resin print w high-speed settings (240mm/min for all lifting), never a better time than “a birthday gift print just failed twice and now it’s the day of”. it’s going ok so far but the loud (by resin printer standards) knocking every time the build plate zips off the old battered FEP film was… concerning, at first. now it reassures me from another room that the print hasn’t failed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Asking Printed Solid or any other vendor to "make right" bad prints from any filament just isn't where the hobby is yet.

Especially if they aren't the manufacturer of the filament.

Might as well buy Polaroid filament if you want that kind of filament support.

https://www.polaroid3d.com/filament/

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 30, 2021

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Asking Printed Solid or any other vendor to "make right" bad prints from any filament just isn't where the hobby is yet.

I have some Kodak ABS filament. I bought it for a carbon fiber project but haven't had time for it yet.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'll be satisfied once it demonstrates it can do this consistently. So far, so good. My hope is that it'll work without uncertainty and fussing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My Raise3D N2 is still a reliable workhorse today, and it's an old printer. It is showing its age, but it really still prints perfectly well.

If the E2 is anywhere near as good, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That's encouraging news. I'm already impressed by how easy it was to go from unboxing to printing a usable part (where I already had an STL ready).

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

FWIW, I’ve found that the Polaroid filament to look/print/feel identical to the Inland filament. Main difference is the cost, saving you a solid $22/kg buying the inland stuff.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Printed Solid specifically manufactures Jessie pla in America and prides themselves on that fact.

Also lol that you think I should just accept getting a bad product straight out of the box because it's a hobby.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I saved one of my resin printers yesterday with a plastic razorblade to scrape off a light layer of cured resin on my LCD. I thought I'd mention it here because I hadn't heard of a plastic razorblade until recently and it made a huge difference in getting the resin off.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

InternetJunky posted:

I saved one of my resin printers yesterday with a plastic razorblade to scrape off a light layer of cured resin on my LCD. I thought I'd mention it here because I hadn't heard of a plastic razorblade until recently and it made a huge difference in getting the resin off.

Yeah seconding the plastic razor blade recommendation. I got them completely by accident when buying a traditional paint scraper and they worked pretty good when I punctured my FEP and got resin on my screen.
They don't last long though, so buy a bunch. I think I used four of the ten I got cleaning my screen.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
God dammit I'm gonna have to shave for this 3d scan to work cause it sees my beard as a gigantic block of jaw.

:argh:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deviant posted:

Printed Solid specifically manufactures Jessie pla in America and prides themselves on that fact.

Also lol that you think I should just accept getting a bad product straight out of the box because it's a hobby.

That's new, for as long as I've been in the hobby Printed Solid was "just another reseller".

As for bad product out of the box, LOL if you think any filament manufacturer is perfect 100% of the time. You will encounter random bad spools.

Anyway, Tom is a madman and really having too much fun with his Voron.

https://youtu.be/8O9E9rcH6Us

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I've got a PNP NO inductive sensor from an old Printrbot simple metal (LJ12A3-4-Z/BY, but it's probably a BX since it lists input voltage as 6-36V instead of 10V) that I was thinking I could put on my Ender 3 with an upgraded BTT SKR E3 Turbo mainboard. I've looked around for guides but haven't found anything that uses my specific hardware, but I'm gathering that I'll need to do something with pullup/pulldown resistors, a transistor, or an optocoupler. Any recommendations?

TastyShrimpPlatter fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 31, 2021

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So ive got a problem with my ender 3 and im not sure wha the problem is. It used to print just fine but lately ive been having this happen in every print. I didnt print anything for a while, started again recently and i had to replace the extruder a bit ago, not sure if that has something to do with it or what.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

As for bad product out of the box, LOL if you think any filament manufacturer is perfect 100% of the time. You will encounter random bad spools.

and i expect the manufacturer to fuckin fix it when i do, why is this hard?

you send me a bad product, you replace it. "it's a hobby" doesn't absolve them of selling garbage in exchange for money, and i will be buying from someone else in the future.

anyway i left it in a heated drybox for 6 hours, we'll see if that helps any

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 31, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Filament seems like such a shell game of a business.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It looks like the sunlu filadryer s1 took about 2g or about 2mL of water off the roll in 6 hours. I have to assume that's liquid volume, so we'll see if it prints any better.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I've just installed a Sovol flex plate on my mars 2 pro, added a spacer and re-homed, re-leveled my build plate and gone to do my first print.

There's a terrible grinding sound when it goes down to do the first few layers. I'm almost certain this is the little flex plate tabs running into the curved side of my resin tank.

What's my next course of action? I'm letting the resin drain off the plate right now. Push the tabs a bit further back on my build plate? Swap out my Elegoo tank for one of my Sovol tanks?

Zodack fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 31, 2021

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What use cases are y'all using SLA for? For context, I'm sticking with filament since I want to be able to solvent-bond parts to injection-molded ABS parts. And it seems like the process for FDM is more hands-off and safer, at the cost of poorer-quality prints.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It would be nice to have one for higher precision mechanical parts like RC gearboxes and diffs and poo poo like that. Assuming you can get resin with ABS, PC or Nylon like properties. Then again, if you could, I'd probably be printing a lot more things with SLA.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Dominoes posted:

What use cases are y'all using SLA for? For context, I'm sticking with filament since I want to be able to solvent-bond parts to injection-molded ABS parts. And it seems like the process for FDM is more hands-off and safer, at the cost of poorer-quality prints.

When I want to print something mechanical, or do a design from scratch that needs a few iterations I do FDM for sure. But for art stuff that I'm going to paint, the results are just better with with SLA for what I do. (I mean I toally agree that resin is more work and has more safety reqs, it's sometimes annoying)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Zodack posted:

I've just installed a Sovol flex plate on my mars 2 pro, added a spacer and re-homed, re-leveled my build plate and gone to do my first print.

There's a terrible grinding sound when it goes down to do the first few layers. I'm almost certain this is the little flex plate tabs running into the curved side of my resin tank.

What's my next course of action? I'm letting the resin drain off the plate right now. Push the tabs a bit further back on my build plate? Swap out my Elegoo tank for one of my Sovol tanks?

I literally just installed a sovol flex plate on my mars 2 pro this week. I haven't had a problem with grinding, the two small tabs just barely stick out from the edge of the plate (as opposed to the single giant tab on the previous flex plate I tried to use).
I have been turning the tabs to the back of the flex plate as it looks like there's more room between the plate and the tank edge on that side despite the instructions saying to face them forward.

You might also try re-zeroing and leveling your plate, the grinding noise might be the clutch engaging because it can't travel all the way to zero.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bucnasti posted:

You might also try re-zeroing and leveling your plate, the grinding noise might be the clutch engaging because it can't travel all the way to zero.

I might as well try. It didn't make any noises on my first attempt but it could have been a fluke

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

what do yall print to use up the last bits of rolls?

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I made an ikea lack enclosure for my printer using the prusa design. It was fun to build but also the most expensive and time consuming thing I have ever made out of cardboard. I probably should have just bought a real enclosure but I think this will work fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deviant posted:

what do yall print to use up the last bits of rolls?

potato chip bag clips

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4609543

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

It would be nice to have one for higher precision mechanical parts like RC gearboxes and diffs and poo poo like that. Assuming you can get resin with ABS, PC or Nylon like properties. Then again, if you could, I'd probably be printing a lot more things with SLA.

You can get resins like that though...

Zodack posted:

I've had the overhanging tab catch a few times but I don't get the grinding sound (instead it finally snaps into place and shoots resin everywhere). Even if your machine is leveled nicely, make sure the build plate is fully parallel to the machine to give the tab maximum clearance, and then push the tab back as well so it doesn't stick out as much.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

InternetJunky posted:

I've had the overhanging tab catch a few times but I don't get the grinding sound (instead it finally snaps into place and shoots resin everywhere). Even if your machine is leveled nicely, make sure the build plate is fully parallel to the machine to give the tab maximum clearance, and then push the tab back as well so it doesn't stick out as much.

I put in a spare, empty tank and ran my print and that is what it was - the metal tabs were scraping down the side of the tank, actually pulling off a tiny bit of the black paint(?). I moved my tank a bit forward, re-leveled the plate and put the flex plate on just a tad backwards and it seems like things are fine.

Awkwardly the FEP on my empty tank now was blackish sediment on it from the scrapes, but it was a spare, so I can worry about that later.

The fully parallel part was an absolute. What's the order on that - home, tighten front bolt, test paper friction, move plate up, tighten side bolt? Seems like that did it for me and didn't mess the plate up too much in the process.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Zodack posted:

Awkwardly the FEP on my empty tank now was blackish sediment on it from the scrapes, but it was a spare, so I can worry about that later.
You actually just solved a mystery for me that has been driving me crazy, since I had a batch of prints with black specs in them and could not figure out the source.

quote:

The fully parallel part was an absolute. What's the order on that - home, tighten front bolt, test paper friction, move plate up, tighten side bolt? Seems like that did it for me and didn't mess the plate up too much in the process.
For the mars2 pro I loosen the front and side bolts, hit home (and babysit the plate as it drops since I've broken a screen when the flex plate caught on the vat screws doing this), wiggle the plate to be as straight as possible once it's on the paper, then slowly tighten each bolt. If it's crooked I start over. With the flex plate you basically level once a month or less so it's not too bad.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

generally not great if you're trying to use up the last bits of a pla roll, though

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zodack posted:

You have the vat in backwards.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Starting my Prusa assembly with the Y axis, which was hell but I'm glad I'm getting to it.

My Y-axis is complete, but it makes this awful noise when moved:

https://i.imgur.com/DQVdjKL.mp4

Singled it out as the bearings making the noise, but I'm not sure what to do? Read up online and tried things like applying fresh lube to the bars and making sure the mounting brackets weren't too tight, but that didn't work. I'd also believe the stock nameless lube could probably be ditched for something like SuperLube, but I gotta go buy some first. I remember in reviews people were raving about how this thing makes very little noise, so this is kind of disappointing if I can't fix it.

Putty fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 31, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Get new linear bearings on AliExpress. LM8UU or whatever they're called. They're cheap as gently caress. Or if you're fancy, get those "drylin" bushings from Igus.

--edit: Oh wait, this is a completely new Prusa. I guess they gave you a dud. The drylin stuff seems to be a recommended upgrade, anyway.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 1, 2021

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Putty posted:

Singled it out as the bearings making the noise, but I'm not sure what to do? Read up online and tried things like applying fresh lube to the bars and making sure the mounting brackets weren't too tight, but that didn't work. I'd also believe the stock nameless lube could probably be ditched for something like SuperLube, but I gotta go buy some first. I remember in reviews people were raving about how this thing makes very little noise, so this is kind of disappointing if I can't fix it.
It makes WAY less noise once the whole machine is put together. I too thought something must be wrong until I checked the comments on the online manual.
Also, if you aren't doing it already, use the online manual; there are a couple of steps where the comments are exceptionally helpful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Putty posted:

My Y-axis is complete, but it makes this awful noise when moved:

Singled it out as the bearings making the noise, but I'm not sure what to do?

The machine doesn't make that sound when it's fully assembled. You're just hearing it ringing because right now it has no mass on the axis to dampen the vibrations. It will be much quieter.

As long as it moves smoothly without any grinding sensations or noises, you're fine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

asterioth posted:

So ive got a problem with my ender 3 and im not sure wha the problem is. It used to print just fine but lately ive been having this happen in every print. I didnt print anything for a while, started again recently and i had to replace the extruder a bit ago, not sure if that has something to do with it or what.

I'd check your extruder e-steps for overextrustion but also consider a new nozzle, sometimes that works wonders for degraded print quality. Just don't burn yourself, they are hot. This guy's video pertains to switching it but he's also got a video about making sure the PTFE tube in the hotend is seated properly (it can back out over time):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRzsGttNMyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30qqKUwviww

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

TheLastManStanding posted:

It makes WAY less noise once the whole machine is put together. I too thought something must be wrong until I checked the comments on the online manual.
Also, if you aren't doing it already, use the online manual; there are a couple of steps where the comments are exceptionally helpful.

Sagebrush posted:

The machine doesn't make that sound when it's fully assembled. You're just hearing it ringing because right now it has no mass on the axis to dampen the vibrations. It will be much quieter.

As long as it moves smoothly without any grinding sensations or noises, you're fine.

Thank you! Will proceed normally then. I'm half using the physical manual and half online cause some of these images are really hard to see.

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Oh wait, this is a completely new Prusa. I guess they gave you a dud. The drylin stuff seems to be a recommended upgrade, anyway.

Also gonna keep this in mind.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I'd check your extruder e-steps for overextrustion but also consider a new nozzle, sometimes that works wonders for degraded print quality. Just don't burn yourself, they are hot. This guy's video pertains to switching it but he's also got a video about making sure the PTFE tube in the hotend is seated properly (it can back out over time):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRzsGttNMyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30qqKUwviww

I changed the nozzle and it seemed to help a small amount but nothing major, i thought the ptfe tube was seated properly but ill reseat it again later and see if that helps. I'll have to figure out how to check and mess with the e-steps later, im wondering if thats it since its a different extruder than the stock one. Thank you!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

asterioth posted:

I changed the nozzle and it seemed to help a small amount but nothing major, i thought the ptfe tube was seated properly but ill reseat it again later and see if that helps. I'll have to figure out how to check and mess with the e-steps later, im wondering if thats it since its a different extruder than the stock one. Thank you!

You basically pop the bowden tube off the extruder, mark some filament before the extruder, and command the extruder motor to move 100mm, then measure how much it put out and adjust. There's a lot of instructions online for dialing in the amount you need if there's an e-step adjustment needed. The firmware will prevent you from extruding if the hotend isn't over 150C or something (maybe 170?) so you'll have to heat up the hotend but you're not actually sending the filament to the hotend to measure it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Rexxed posted:

You basically pop the bowden tube off the extruder, mark some filament before the extruder, and command the extruder motor to move 100mm, then measure how much it put out and adjust. There's a lot of instructions online for dialing in the amount you need if there's an e-step adjustment needed. The firmware will prevent you from extruding if the hotend isn't over 150C or something (maybe 170?) so you'll have to heat up the hotend but you're not actually sending the filament to the hotend to measure it.

Yeah, was reading about that. I'll have to do that later, dont have any calipers to measure with. Decided to swap the extruder gear back to the one that came stock and it seems like its working for now, printing a vase to see how it turns out.