Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

If you hated Murder House, you're probably not going to enjoy any of the rest of the seasons of AHS. It's one of the most cohesive and least campy ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

nemesis_hub posted:

I watched season 1 of American Horror Story and thought it sucked. Are any of the other seasons worth watching? I won’t ask in TVIV because…well, you know. This thread is definitely more my speed from what I can gather by mostly lurking.

its an annoyingly inconsistent show from episode to episode, let alone season to season. I quite liked the second season, Asylum, it's pretty "throw poo poo at a wall" sort of stuff though

edit yeah that ^^^^^^^

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

cake bunny posted:

If you hated Murder House, you're probably not going to enjoy any of the rest of the seasons of AHS. It's one of the most cohesive and least campy ones.

It felt like the showrunners didn’t even like horror, strange as that sounds. All the horror stuff felt like a joke, a cheap carnival funhouse veneer overtop the soap opera elements that they were actually interested in. But there are like a dozen seasons now so if there is a consensus that a particular season is really good I’ll give it another shot.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

channel zero is the superior horrorfest that thing is just nightmares all the way along

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I felt like Roanoke was the most consistently HORROR-like season

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I felt like Roanoke was the most consistently HORROR-like season

I agree. I could barely bother with having the other seasons on in the background.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I hope they do

A24ever

A24 vs Blumhouse, like Dollman vs Demonic Toys

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
More like Chucky vs. The Gingerdead Man

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

alf_pogs posted:

channel zero is the superior horrorfest that thing is just nightmares all the way along

I have problems with Channel Zero, but yes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nemesis_hub posted:

I watched season 1 of American Horror Story and thought it sucked. Are any of the other seasons worth watching? I won’t ask in TVIV because…well, you know. This thread is definitely more my speed from what I can gather by mostly lurking.

Hotel rules, Asylum is good too

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

AHS : Hotel is pretty drat good, probably one of the better seasons and it has some amazing actors and actresses in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Whatever you do dont watch the new Stories one

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I haven't seen Apocalypse but I enjoyed every other AHS season except Coven and Freak Show. :shrug:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AHS suffers hugely from having 3x as many episodes as they need for a season. Even the potentially interesting seasons are bad because they're so obviously treading water for so much of them.

Creepshow is definitely the best current horror TV show we have going now. S2s Bob Ross vs. You Gotta See Who episode is one of the most amazing surprises I've seen on TV.

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

I stopped watching during Roanoke, I just couldn't get into its pacing. Asylum was incredible though, easily one of the best seasons of a tv show I've ever seen

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't believe how massive Creepshow's glow-up was for season 2. Even the production design started creeping toward the film's, after the first season felt essentially like bad student films. I'm really pumped for next season, I hope they crank up the monsters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
American Horror Story is basically set in the Doctor Sleep universe. It's soapy urban fantasy where literally every character is a murderer, and over half of them are some type of immortal. There's a lot of violence, but it's also fairly inconsequential because nobody cares and few people 'actually' die.

After a while, you catch on that the various throat-slashings are a metaphor for mild rudeness. Like, this is just how people communicate.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I watched 30 coins because of this thread and it was amazing, thanks.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you didn’t like the Soap Opera elements of Murder House I really can’t see you enjoying Hotel.

Asylum is my favorite season but I have to admit there’s 1000 dangling loose ends and/or rushed conclusions to story lines because they tried to shove way too much stuff in.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I thought the first episode of 30 Coins was poorly acted, badly written and looked like poo poo. Like, it felt like a soap opera with some only-scary-if-you're-a-Catholic stuff thrown in. Does it improve?

anatomi fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 31, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

anatomi posted:

Like, it felt like a soap opera with some only-scary-if-you're-a-Catholic stuff

This is how the trailer read to me and why I haven't caught it yet despite the praise. As someone raised non-religious, I just don't have any of those baked-in fears or religious cultural reference points.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't seen 30 Coins but it's by Álex de la Iglesia who did Dia de la Bestia, the best Christmas movie ever made and just a fantastic horror comedy.

So it is destined to be good.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
So I'm currently binging Fear Street and so far the soundtrack is far and away the best part of the movies, but I'm also three minutes into 1666 and I already hate all of their stupid accents

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Froghammer posted:

So I'm currently binging Fear Street and so far the soundtrack is far and away the best part of the movies, but I'm also three minutes into 1666 and I already hate all of their stupid accents

The only thing I like about that segment is that they found an era-appropriate way to continue the pattern of teenagers using prescription drugs recreationally.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The only thing I like about that segment is that they found an era-appropriate way to continue the pattern of teenagers using prescription drugs recreationally.
Whoy arr they oll tawlkin in awful Oirish occents

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Froghammer posted:

Whoy arr they oll tawlkin in awful Oirish occents

Because that's pretty close to how people in the 17th century colonies spoke.

Like this dude who is doing a fairly accurate impersonation od 17th century English for humorous purposes
https://youtu.be/Lio7sp45IXY

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 31, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Okay never mind this poo poo looped back around and is great

10/10 would recommend

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

anatomi posted:

I thought the first episode of 30 Coins was poorly acted, badly written and looked like poo poo. Like, it felt like a soap opera with some only-scary-if-you're-a-Catholic stuff thrown in. Does it improve?

feedmyleg posted:

This is how the trailer read to me and why I haven't caught it yet despite the praise. As someone raised non-religious, I just don't have any of those baked-in fears or religious cultural reference points.

It does help if you're Catholic or are knowledgeable about Catholicism. Case in point, it does bring up the Gospel of Judas which is one of the Apocryphal Gospels. However, I feel the show can be enjoyed without having Catholic connections. I'd say give the first and second episode a watch and if it's still not clicking with you, you have it a respectable try.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reading an interesting article on Halloween Kills/Ends. So far the highlights are finding out that Paul Rudd was approached to reprise the part of Tommy Doyle (he declined, but gave Anthony Michael Hall his blessing), and that the nadir of the series is generally considered to be RZH2.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

nemesis_hub posted:

It felt like the showrunners didn’t even like horror, strange as that sounds. All the horror stuff felt like a joke, a cheap carnival funhouse veneer overtop the soap opera elements that they were actually interested in. But there are like a dozen seasons now so if there is a consensus that a particular season is really good I’ll give it another shot.

Back when I lived in LA and had a writing partner, we went to an industry roundtable where a few different showrunners talked about running shows. One of the guests was the guy who ran AHS, and he spent a bunch of time whining about his annoyance that his lower tier writers and designers were trying really hard to make sure that the occult elements of Coven had a fair degree of accuracy to the beliefs, aesthetics, and history of the topics the show was concerned with (witchcraft, voodoo, Louisiana history, etc). His reasoning was that "it's all stupid made up stuff, who cares, no one will notice."

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m still 20 pages behind - but did anyone catch that that Deena covered herself in Fear Street books as protection in third movie?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jedit posted:

Reading an interesting article on Halloween Kills/Ends. So far the highlights are finding out that Paul Rudd was approached to reprise the part of Tommy Doyle (he declined, but gave Anthony Michael Hall his blessing), and that the nadir of the series is generally considered to be RZH2.

Uh oh, here we go again!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't seen 30 Coins but it's by Álex de la Iglesia who did Dia de la Bestia, the best Christmas movie ever made and just a fantastic horror comedy.

So it is destined to be good.

poo poo, I was only mildly interested in 30 Coins but now I’m bumping it up to next on my TV watchlist

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quiet Place part 2 is on paramount and I had a free trial so I guess it's time to watch the sequel to possibly the single most over rated horror movie in history and grumble about how it has a 91% on RT afterwards.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that article is written by a person who could be the star of a tv show called "lovely Articles That Suck"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jedit posted:

wait... does that mean Halloween 6 is back in continuity?

And that once again makes me annoyed they didn't give Danielle Harris the mom role.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

veni veni veni posted:

Quiet Place part 2 is on paramount and I had a free trial so I guess it's time to watch the sequel to possibly the single most over rated horror movie in history and grumble about how it has a 91% on RT afterwards.

i can not get over the fact that the guy literally just made a movie to say "wow we are good parents!" and everyone praised the film for being subtle for camera shots that linger on sticky notes that said "THEY HATE NOISE" for 5 seconds

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

A24 vs Blumhouse, like Dollman vs Demonic Toys

I made this a while back and it never went over like I thought it would

https://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1237490140802580482

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Benito Cereno posted:

I made this a while back and it never went over like I thought it would

https://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1237490140802580482

I like this because it is both funny and relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

I actually like several seasons of AHS a lot and didn't really hate any of them. They're mostly uneven trash fires as far as season cohesion goes, though, and Murder House is by far the most restrained with the camp factor. So, yeah, I think if you don't dig Murder House at all, you're probably not really going to like any of the seasons. Unless the reason you didn't like Murder House was that it didn't crank the camp to 11 and break the knob off, or you really like shows where some out of nowhere poo poo happens that doesn't necessarily connect to the what you thought the plot was, or where crazy stuff gets brought up for a few episodes and then just gets dropped without getting mentioned again.

They're strange soap operas painted in a horror palate. It absolutely works for me, even when it doesn't come close to sticking the landing, but I can absolutely see why someone would bounce right off of the whole deal.