Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The turn off for me is in the trailer they built a dam across the river, and it just stopped the river, the water level didn't rise behind it or anything. What's even the point of beavers if you can't even build proper dams? Especially since it seems like storing water is going to be a major game goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

The turn off for me is in the trailer they built a dam across the river, and it just stopped the river, the water level didn't rise behind it or anything. What's even the point of beavers if you can't even build proper dams? Especially since it seems like storing water is going to be a major game goal.

The dams in Timberborn do hold back water. You see the difference when the dry season comes. If you don't have a dam, the water will all flow along the riverbed and drain out the map. If you do dam up, the dam will form a basin that doesn't flow out the map, and allows you to have water through the dry season. You will still be spending the dammed up water, of course.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes that's what I mean, it just stops the river, it doesn't back flood at all.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i know its the second scenario but this was kind of a bitch down the stretch lol, the amount of infrastructure needed to make a consistent slew of sandwiches is nuts, is there no way to have a building cycle through a queue of recipes instead of making one building for each ingredient?

also is it better to just tear down some/all of the weird infrastructure they give you and start over with your own design? i felt hampered by coming into a situation i didn't build in the first place, wish it was just free style.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

smarxist posted:

i know its the second scenario but this was kind of a bitch down the stretch lol, the amount of infrastructure needed to make a consistent slew of sandwiches is nuts, is there no way to have a building cycle through a queue of recipes instead of making one building for each ingredient?

also is it better to just tear down some/all of the weird infrastructure they give you and start over with your own design? i felt hampered by coming into a situation i didn't build in the first place, wish it was just free style.

You can select all recipes at the building at the same time by clicking on the checkboxes (instead of the line item, which will select a single recipe).

Also feel free to reorganize it, tab to select an area, then delete to delete everything, then you can rebuild wherever.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tima posted:

You can select all recipes at the building at the same time by clicking on the checkboxes (instead of the line item, which will select a single recipe).

Also feel free to reorganize it, tab to select an area, then delete to delete everything, then you can rebuild wherever.

ooooooh, i was wondering what was up with that, that's a huge tip, thank you!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Patron is an upcoming city builder with social dynamics If that's what you are looking for

https://www.pcgamesn.com/patron/city-builder-release-date

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Ooo, Patron has a demo up, i'm divin' in

edit:
Okay, played for about 45 minutes. My first impression: Banished With More Stuff To Do, basically the same exact starting point (building houses and gathering food, hunting lodges, fishing docks, gatherer lodge, herbalists for herbs/health, etc.) except there are more ways to interact with the civics of the town (when you research those/upgrade your town hall), you can enact policies and decrees, there's taxation and coinage, also upkeep and maintenance seems to be a bigger factor (hunter's lodge consumes a steady trickle of wood and iron to produce traps, for instance). the research tree is yooge but mostly unlocks various types of merchant / production building

it's kinda like if you smooshed Anno1404 and Banished together; the citizens have more interesting and varied needs than just food/clothing/shelter, like religious fulfillment, access to luxuries etc.

also unlike in Anno, new citizens don't materialize out of thin air, you need to have children growing up or foreigners emigrating in, and for that your town needs to be a desirable place to live, which is an interesting twist

smarxist fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 31, 2021

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I loved Banished and downloaded the demo.

Unfortunately it doesn't run for poo poo on my potato laptop. I think I was getting 14 fps. Total bummer because if this is deeper mechanically than Banished, it'd be right up my alley.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
patron looks neat but it's still a variation of plopping buildings on a grid and walkers that have complex needs. i want to see a game that takes land use decisions entirely out of the players hands. it would be extremely hard to design though, like a first person shooter with no violence

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pharnakes posted:

I didn't have time to make a fully blocking dam, but given the "sloshing" behavior that occurred once the water that returned hit my spillover dams, I would assume that it's only because damming won't raise the water level above the map's aquifer spring point, or because this wasn't done for long enough. There are a lot of points on the map that feel perfectly made for this behavior, where water can get redirected into a huge reservoir area.

In fact, an important part of the game involves damming parts of the river so that when the dry season comes, you will have a stable source of water to rely on for crop irrigation and drinking water pumping buildings. One thing I found missing, and which I'm not clear is intentional or not, is an actual water pumping stations to pump water into other places via aqueduct instead of by building channels.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

patron looks neat but it's still a variation of plopping buildings on a grid and walkers that have complex needs. i want to see a game that takes land use decisions entirely out of the players hands. it would be extremely hard to design though, like a first person shooter with no violence

The problem with this ask is that dealing with this kind of poo poo in real life is so grinding and awful that only people with ulterior motives get involved in it anymore. Even if one could solve the problem of coding it in a way which wasn’t reductive or easily gamed, the resulting game wouldn’t be any fun

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh i'm aware, i briefly worked in a government planning office. i can understand why nobody's tried to break out of the simcity model, as a concept it is extremely weird but it works well as a game. you'd pretty much have to do it as a competitive multiplayer game because otherwise it would just be a lonely struggle against the model. something like the guild is the closest thing i can think of to this game in reality, if there was less a focus on dynastic economic production and poisoning your rivals and more arguing about budgets

fun fact: pretty much every urban planner under age 40 played sim city as a child

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pharnakes posted:

Volmarias posted:

I didn't have time to make a fully blocking dam, but given the "sloshing" behavior that occurred once the water that returned hit my spillover dams, I would assume that it's only because damming won't raise the water level above the map's aquifer spring point, or because this wasn't done for long enough. There are a lot of points on the map that feel perfectly made for this behavior, where water can get redirected into a huge reservoir area.

In fact, an important part of the game involves damming parts of the river so that when the dry season comes, you will have a stable source of water to rely on for crop irrigation and drinking water pumping buildings. One thing I found missing, and which I'm not clear is intentional or not, is an actual water pumping stations to pump water into other places via aqueduct instead of by building channels.

This was nagging at me, so I decided to take a look at what would happen.

I started damming up the river. The nice bit about the water physics here is that inadequate drainage is actually enough to flood; water won't just insist on always flowing to the lowest point. For example:

There's one levee here, and all of the water wants to go towards it as I finish filling in the lastmost dam tile on the right

It actually overflows a little bit as I start to work at damming up the last levee. There was occasional spillover onto the sides, but not a lot.

With that finished, water is now completely blocked in the river, but more is still coming behind it, so it starts flooding over the banks.

:yeshaha:

You can see it starting to fill in the depression in the foreground; I think that, normally, you would blow a line from the river to the depression so that it becomes an artificial lake, but this works too.

:ohdear:

I didn't see it happen, but this poor beaver must have somehow been floated up onto this higher level. I've started building stairs to rescue them.

With the new lake filled in, water now spills over in earnest, as the main source of drainage is now full. You can see that I've gotten the beaver out just in time, as the stairs area has now started to flood, and apparently beavers cannot swim? :confused:

Removing the one dam I had in front of the levee wasn't really sufficient to start draining in earnest; as we saw before, there was only a little bit of spillover afforded by it, which meant that the river wanted to find its own places to spill over to.

Removing the rest of the dams and levees now provided the drainage that was previously afforded, and the river once more begins to flow in the direction expected. I didn't watch, but I suspect that the levee further downstream would be overwhelmed and slightly flooded as the wall of onrushing water passed.

So, beaver dam flood dynamics: confirmed. :canada:

I'm guessing that at a certain point, the idea of creating your own reservoirs for irrigation becomes important; while you can store water in barrels and such, it would likely be far more effective to just shove all of that water into the ground for storage. While the water does evaporate over time, there are areas that are deep enough that you can probably provide enough stored water (and different levels of pumping stations) to remain hydrated while an unusually long dry season passes.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 31, 2021

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Yeah. There's two kinds of dams, the Dam and the Levee. The Dam building lets water through at the top so it won't flood terrain at the height of the dam's top. The Levee building blocks water entirely, so water will flood over it, and it can essentially act as a way to build taller dams, or otherwise forcibly redirect water.

Here's the first map in the current demo, where I managed to path all the way to the end of the large basin and dam it before the second year's dry season:

Another, from earlier in the same dry season:

Volmarias posted:

There's two ways to bring water to new areas. One is using dynamite to alter the terrain, the demo starts you with a small stack of it to play with. The other is using the irrigation tower to use hauled water buckets to create fertile land anywhere, that just requires a ton of pumping and hauling.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 31, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Please do see my last post, where I flooded the plains via damming the river.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
OK new complaint: beavers can't swim.

I wanted to make a cool flooded village where bearers could swim into their houses from below but they all just drowned instead :smith:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

OK new complaint: beavers can't swim.

I wanted to make a cool flooded village where bearers could swim into their houses from below but they all just drowned instead :smith:

Yeah. The excuse so far has been that the water is polluted and not safe to swim in, and only the pumps have some kind of mechanism that makes it safe to drink.
But the later dev blogs now talk about swimming coming in EA, just it will be slower than walking.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Wasn't ready to figure out Songs of Syx again yet, so I gave Timberborn a shot, and uh... yeah, I'm on the "inject this into my veins" team. It's got issues but I can see them being fixed and this being a serious time sink. Only real "issue" I ran into outside of things districts are already addressing is that the game really does a poor job telegraphing the first time that the dry season is a thing until it's right on top of you and too late to prepare for it. Set my run's whole momentum way back when my entire population growth died and I was effectively a season behind. They may or may not have not survived dry season 2 at all, because apparently it's WAY more brutal than I expected and 300 water disappeared by 3 or 4 days into the season. I may or may not have missed that the dam would keep water around in the river.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol is there any way to re-absorb workers into your city or do they just have to stand around waiting to find other work after automation makes them redundant? >_>

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

smarxist posted:

lol is there any way to re-absorb workers into your city or do they just have to stand around waiting to find other work after automation makes them redundant? >_>

I think you can just select and delete them and get your resources back then recreate them when you need them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

smarxist posted:

Just highlight and delete, everything gives full refunds.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol, just built my first 2nd floor chute output to push grain over a stone road that carts were using and gasped when it worked, this game is lovely

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

smarxist posted:

lol, just built my first 2nd floor chute output to push grain over a stone road that carts were using and gasped when it worked, this game is lovely

The game is very flexible, both in the set up and how you can play, I really like that about it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

82apps posted:

No, I'm not displaying that anywhere currently but seems like a worthwhile addition. Would be helpful to have a graph of input/output and whether a building is supply- or demand-capped. I haven't really built the game so that player need to worry too much about precise ratios, there's not any upkeep costs that would require that level of minmaxing. Mostly, the challenge is finding out where the bottlenecks are, and then trying to resolve them. But of course I want people to be able to play any way they like, so I try to add in more number stuff when I can.

Well for what it's worth now that I've got into the flow of the game I don't feel like it's really needed! It would be helpful because I find myself loading up some mason with like 8 workers mining to keep an even output and then later on when I look 6 of them are completely idle and can be deleted. But since it's so easy to delete/move/rebuild that's all kind of fun :shrug:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SkyeAuroline posted:

Wasn't ready to figure out Songs of Syx again yet,

When you do get around to it, you should check out the thread, there are a lot of really good posts (mostly by deep dish peat moss) that should help with getting your head around the more obtuse parts of the UI and mechanics. It's only 3 pages so it won't take you long.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smarxist posted:

I missed this somewhere: what lovely game is this?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Subjunctive posted:

I missed this somewhere: what lovely game is this?

I believe that's Factory Town

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
deep dish peat moss may be the best username I've ever seen.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Starmancer is going to hit EA this week - has anyone played any of the betas? I backed it on Kickstarter and have been loosely following it but never got to play.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Anyone who's played Eco, is it as bad for single-player as some of the reviews indicate? Wouldn't be able to wrangle a large group on my schedule and don't have the hardware for a dedicated server, but the pitch is interesting and I'd like to give the game a shot. Just don't want to drop $30 on something only technically playable solo.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SkyeAuroline posted:

Anyone who's played Eco, is it as bad for single-player as some of the reviews indicate? Wouldn't be able to wrangle a large group on my schedule and don't have the hardware for a dedicated server, but the pitch is interesting and I'd like to give the game a shot. Just don't want to drop $30 on something only technically playable solo.

From what I recall you can set up the game so that the entire skill tree is reachable in solo as well as tweak how quickly you learn skills. I don't recall if you can tweak recipes to use less mats or gathering to give you more so it won't take you forever to get the resources to build everything.

I really enjoyed the game but I played on a random server someone else had set up.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just checked and when setting up a private world for solo play it defaults to settings that should work for solo play and you can tweak them to speed up / slow down progress:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

RandomBlue posted:

Just checked and when setting up a private world for solo play it defaults to settings that should work for solo play and you can tweak them to speed up / slow down progress:

Thanks for taking a look. I'll put it in the wishlist for the moment, I think. Still got a few to work through that I already own.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RandomBlue posted:

How interesting would it be solo though?

I've also gazed longingly at it and have largely avoided wishlisting based on the idea that while most social survival games have sliders that let you single player content sight see, it always looked like a game that all the reason to play is the collaboration part. Like Ark you can cheat to ride the dinosaurs, but it seems like creating a government and monetary policy for just yourself seems kind of pointless.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

zedprime posted:

I've also gazed longingly at it and have largely avoided wishlisting based on the idea that while most social survival games have sliders that let you single player content sight see, it always looked like a game that all the reason to play is the collaboration part. Like Ark you can cheat to ride the dinosaurs, but it seems like creating a government and monetary policy for just yourself seems kind of pointless.

It's not very fun solo unless you just want to watch numbers go up. Like Minecraft but with absolutely no combat or fun things to do.

I keep getting bored shortly before getting vehicles on all three solo playthroughs I've had.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Are there any Railway management games that have Tropico-style gradual construction instead of instabuild?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

workers and resources, however you need to build everything else the construction industry needs if you don't want to import it

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

zedprime posted:

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy gathering and building poo poo by yourself, because that's all you'll be doing. I can enjoy that for a while but the game is much more fun with other players. A lot of the game is built around players specializing what they do and trading with other players for resources outside their specialty. There's also a political layer to the game that is gone if you play solo.

By default the game runs for 30 real time days, though many servers change that. You should be able to hop on a server that's recently started, claim some land then play when you feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy gathering and building poo poo by yourself, because that's all you'll be doing. I can enjoy that for a while but the game is much more fun with other players. A lot of the game is built around players specializing what they do and trading with other players for resources outside their specialty. There's also a political layer to the game that is gone if you play solo.

By default the game runs for 30 real time days, though many servers change that. You should be able to hop on a server that's recently started, claim some land then play when you feel like it.

How do I play as a boomer who plans to die before anything negatively impacts me while hoarding as much wealth and power as possible, and blocking anything that might save the planet if it costs me a penny to do so? Must involve being able to get half the players to go along with my plan even though it directly hurts them.