Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've managed to do a test run of Kyushu, it may not be the most efficient route but its sort of a roundabout route in a way. I decided to give the Gaia Saviour weapons a try, they don't really pack much of a punch and seem to be more suited to ships with more slots. I might switch them out but the rogues in this system aren't much to deal with at this level. I've dragged the H-Fuel around to each station and the price doesn't fluctuate all that much so I'm just going to unload them on Planet Kyushu, the goods dropped in this system were a step up in quality so it should be a little easier to raise some cash. I just need to find some time to actually record a live run in the next two or three days.

Gothsheep posted:

I will say Kusari ships look pretty interesting. Not necessarily good, but interesting.

Either they're more delicate or it's much more obvious when pieces start to break off. The sound of the engines also remind me of a gas hob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159160

This was quite an enjoyable jaunt around Kyushu. Not only do we have new ships, new architecture and a new environment in general, but we're also now back at the lower echelons so the rogues are easier to handle again. As before when it comes to starting out in a new area I've decided to start out with the smallest ship and work up from there. Despite being a light fighter, the Drake is actually a step up from the Crusader despite having two fewer gun mounts. I might trade up before the next video which probably means Freelancing for a bit, but I don't want to trigger the next story mission just yet.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This area in general gets me nostalgic for some reason. I think it's something to do with chilling out after a barrage of fights and just taking in the local politics before stuff hits the fan that did it for me back in the day.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I have to say, the Drake is a quite nice looking ship.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know I do appreciate that they wanted to add some conversations with NPCs in order to make the world feel more lived in, but jamming them all behind the rumors dialog can make for some pretty silly conversations in context.

"Sure, I've heard a rumor."

"Okay, go ahead."

"Okay, this is what I heard: I haven't had a shower in over a week......"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to strap the Suncannon B's onto the Drake and take a stroll around New Tokyo. I'm really enjoying Kusari space right now, partly down to being able to relax again but the atmosphere feels different. I'm only two systems in but Kusari space has been more vibrant and more populated. I had an incident in Kyushu where the AI was practically pushing me out of the way to take out the rogues, it happened two more times while testing out the next system. The trade lanes actually seemed to be used for trading too, I clattered into a couple of freighters as I disembarked from a couple of them. I've also been really impressed by the designs of a couple of the space stations, they seem like they'd be horrific to live in if they were under a full-scale attack though.

There are only three Kusari ships, I'll be switching to another after the next tour and I'll be using the Barracuda at some point to compensate. Their is a fourth Kusari ship but I believe that it is impossible to obtain throughout normal play.

Groetgaffel posted:

I have a vague memory of getting the stiletto somewhere just before leaving kusari space last time I played the campaign. But that was also at least a decade ago so :shrug:

I've checked and it seems like it's only available to buy in one place, somewhere after Kusari that we won't be seeing for a while yet.

Gothsheep posted:

You know I do appreciate that they wanted to add some conversations with NPCs in order to make the world feel more lived in, but jamming them all behind the rumors dialog can make for some pretty silly conversations in context.

"Sure, I've heard a rumor."

"Okay, go ahead."

"Okay, this is what I heard: I haven't had a shower in over a week......"

I'm only including rumours that I encounter in the game. There are many more that I'd love to include though. Ever heard of Willy Logan, the only man to ever escape BPA Newgate?

There's a very comprehensive Freelancer wikia that has been very helpful with this LP, I've encountered a few rumours not on there and recently I've tried to add some information. I need to go back through some of the older updates at some point to add some more missing entries.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The more I hear about how people are treated in the colonies, the more I want to support groups like the Mollies etc.

Not that you can really change much in the game due to the static nature of things.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

evilmiera posted:

The more I hear about how people are treated in the colonies, the more I want to support groups like the Mollies etc.

Not that you can really change much in the game due to the static nature of things.

Edit: This is a conversation for when I'm feeling more sound of mind.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 14, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sorry, don't know what that was about, but if it's about the Mollies also being bad, I can understand that. Its just seeing the massively dumb colonist groups making things continually worse for themselves starts getting to you after a bit. I suppose it's a throwback to Wing Commander Privateer where every faction was awful.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Sorry, don't know what that was about, but if it's about the Mollies also being bad, I can understand that. Its just seeing the massively dumb colonist groups making things continually worse for themselves starts getting to you after a bit. I suppose it's a throwback to Wing Commander Privateer where every faction was awful.

It was very late and I went on a massive tangent that was mostly unrelated. I should have clarified that the edit was about my post and not yours. I'll post more about the politics in the Dublin system when I get home from work.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Politics in the whole game is really jank, and really does seem like a 5th grader's idea of how global politics works. I don't know how much Roberts actually had a hand in designing the world and lore of the game, but it does feel like his tendency to have everything in space be a weird reflection real world sterotypes, despite how little it makes sense in context. Like how Dublin is a giant cloud of pollution or Kusari's weirdly omnipresent police.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
When a game has, what, I dunno, 80 or however many factions? You're not getting 80 unique and well written and interesting factions, especially since they then all have to get mashed into Law / Neutral / Pirate buckets for gameplay purposes. Definitely feels like a consequence of bad initial scope leading inevitably to unfortunate end results. So yeah, we get Piles of Stereotypes: the Faction System.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Regarding the politics of the Dublin system, I'd just be posting quotes from the Freelancer wiki any way so I may as well just post the relevant links for those that one to read them:

https://freelancer.fandom.com/wiki/Dublin_system: It's worth clicking on each base\station as they contain a section for rumours, a lot of them are linked with the conflict that is going on in the system.

https://freelancer.fandom.com/wiki/Mollys

To put a long story short, the Irish Mollys are trying to gain independence from the tyrannical rule of the British Bretonian empire and aren't afraid to resort to acts of terrorism.

For some reason, I thought that Molly was Irish slang. Well, it is kinda, Molly is a slang term in general but it's a fairly universal one and its primary meaning is "a girl".

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159217

This is quite a long video but that's partly down to visiting seven bases in the system and partly down to being frequently jumped on by rogues. My test run was very peaceful. this recording session was decidedly not. There's nothing really out of the ordinary with New Tokyo apart from having a high concentration of stations to visit.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's also amazing how many people are willing to talk to Trent when he's not buying them a drink or buying things from them or anything.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
I'm a little annoyed that Hogosha isn't as spread out as they would seem. Interpreting the lore makes them seem like space-Yakuza with supposedly legal front businesses and shady dealings in the backrooms, but they only have that one base in the dust cloud and I don't recall seeing any missions given by them on the planetside bar.

They are just Kusari "Junkers" that you don't accidentally piss off by doing too many missions for the police or house corporations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

At about 11:15 one of the bar patrons says "poo poo! There something you want?"

I must've laughed for a good minute. I really like this place

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

oh wait, maybe he actually just says "Kid!". That"s significantly less humorous.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Drone taking off is a delight, it's like a little bumble bee.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Something that wasn't brought up much, but I do want to say I liked how The Order reveal was handled a bit ago. Like, they were mentioned a bit in the beginning of the game, but then they fell way, way to the back burner, giving you time to see the governments being dicks and get used to the main plot before they suddenly come back and are like 'yeah turns out the Order are the good guys.' Maybe you expected it, but either way, it was given enough time to cook that I appreciated it.

It also explains why Trent was kind of a dick about going on this mission. Because the Order is the biggest terrorist group in the colonies so far as he knows, and he needed a little time to process that he's working with them now.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished processing the next tour video and I thought that I'd try to visit one of the Independent systems nearby.

Kepler: The trade lanes are completely cut off from us but I encountered no hostility. I was allowed to enter the bases as I was on neutral status with the owners but no one was willing to talk to me. I need to have a think, but right now I'm unsure whether to show off it's current state in the main LP or leave it until post-game where I can manipulate the reputations so people become chatty.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've just finished processing the next tour video and I thought that I'd try to visit one of the Independent systems nearby.

Kepler: The trade lanes are completely cut off from us but I encountered no hostility. I was allowed to enter the bases as I was on neutral status with the owners but no one was willing to talk to me. I need to have a think, but right now I'm unsure whether to show off it's current state in the main LP or leave it until post-game where I can manipulate the reputations so people become chatty.

I'd recommend the latter. If you're going to have to go back there and show it off later either way, why not just save the whole thing for that?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Some "Trent the pirate" run comes to mind. :yarr:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have to admit I'm curious how a "gently caress the police" run would go, where you start out siding with the Liberty Rogues and just go all-in with the bad-guy factions in every system. I always wanted to try it when I played this game originally, but when I finished the story campaign I put it down for a bit and just never got back to it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was going to show off the pirate ships and bases eventually but that was going to be more about showcasing it over actual gameplay. I could attempt something on a smallish scale after the main story is over.

I don't know if I'll have it in me to do another full playthrough as a pirate so soon after the this one is over.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I have to admit I'm curious how a "gently caress the police" run would go, where you start out siding with the Liberty Rogues and just go all-in with the bad-guy factions in every system. I always wanted to try it when I played this game originally, but when I finished the story campaign I put it down for a bit and just never got back to it.

Outside of a multiplayer server I doubt that's going to really take you all that far in the campaign. Or just do it after wrapping up the story.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cooked Auto posted:

Outside of a multiplayer server I doubt that's going to really take you all that far in the campaign. Or just do it after wrapping up the story.

Oh well, that's something of a disappointment. Still I had kind of suspected, considering how much the story relies on you being on good terms with various factions and bases before the sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Most of the story missions start off in bars, which would be impossible to progress if you're not allowed to enter the base/Station.

I'll engage in some piracy post-game, I'll fudge the reputations so everything is flipped. If anyone has any recommendations other than showing off the bases and ships then I'll be all ears. I'm keen to crack open some storage containers and to hang around some trade lanes waiting for a lonely freighter or two.

I'll be all ears for anything post-game really. Someone mentioned about doing trade runs which sounds quite interesting.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Oh well, that's something of a disappointment. Still I had kind of suspected, considering how much the story relies on you being on good terms with various factions and bases before the sudden but inevitable betrayal.

in my experiences screwing around with the save editor, it sets scripted allies to friendly regardless of faction and usually makes mandatory-to-land-here bases neutral, but i've run into at least one instance where this wasn't the case.

specifically, i'd made most corporate factions super pissed at me, and Shinkaku station was red and everyone kept yelling at me to land, and it just kept plinking away at me with its tiny turrets :v:

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
A trade run of Cardamine from cheapest to most expensive (Planet Malta to Planet Manhattan) with the fattest freighter available is fairly unnerving.
Keeping the rep at neutral for both pirates and law adds to it. Using safe-ish and fast tradelanes could lead to police doing a random check at any crossroad OR flying around them in clouds could end up with a pirate patrol demanding your loot.
Even in civil zones you could have Junkers demanding your drugs, fight them off with the local constable that stumbles into the skirmish, only for him to call you to announce his scan while the last pirate is still in his deathscream.

Another nerve straining trade run would be any of the perishable commodities. Going as fast as possible, occasionally glancing into cargo bay to see a crate of MOX, luxury food or alien organisms fading away, because cargo bay apparently is unrefridgerated enough to cause fancy snacks to rot away quickly.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Lulti posted:

A trade run of Cardamine from cheapest to most expensive (Planet Malta to Planet Manhattan) with the fattest freighter available is fairly unnerving.
Keeping the rep at neutral for both pirates and law adds to it. Using safe-ish and fast tradelanes could lead to police doing a random check at any crossroad OR flying around them in clouds could end up with a pirate patrol demanding your loot.
Even in civil zones you could have Junkers demanding your drugs, fight them off with the local constable that stumbles into the skirmish, only for him to call you to announce his scan while the last pirate is still in his deathscream.

Another nerve straining trade run would be any of the perishable commodities. Going as fast as possible, occasionally glancing into cargo bay to see a crate of MOX, luxury food or alien organisms fading away, because cargo bay apparently is unrefridgerated enough to cause fancy snacks to rot away quickly.

My typical smuggling tactic was to go through tradelanes, but enter on the second gate in the lane and leave on the second to last. Police don't disrupt tradelanes, so as long as you're zipping along in them you're safe. Plus it's just so much faster.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Doing a "pirate run" or at least trying to manage the campaign with good or neutral relations to the criminal factions is probably most interesting early in the Liberty part and in the post-story.

Liberty is interesting because you can (or must) approach travel through and between the systems differently by having uninterrupted access to pirate bases and jumpholes.
Post-story is almost a necessity for exploring all those border worlds in peace without some angry guys and gals shooting at you when you pop out of a wormhole.

Equipment-wise there is nothing really different. Early on you can get access to a better light fighter, but most pirate guns are loot or can be found in wrecks.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159274

A fairly standard trip all around. I apologise if I give anyone heart palpitations with my current weapons setup.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Another ship with the engines on the very bottom :argh:

That said, it looks like a fully enclosed version of Jabba's sail barge, and also, as mentioned, like a bumblebee, so I don't hate it like I do the Crusader.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Groetgaffel posted:

Another ship with the engines on the very bottom :argh:

[...] so I don't hate it like I do the Crusader.

Bri'ish space-fish is blessed.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Those wing things were always way too far forward to look like a bee to me. To me, it always looked like a baby elephant with big Dumbo ears.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished recording Honshu and it wasn't my finest hour. It may be tiredness but I lost my sense of direction twice, the second time around I managed to get the wrong grid coordinates completely and added unnecessary time in combat and redirecting myself. It was originally on par with the recording length of the previous Kusari systems but it has now taken the top spot.

Gothsheep posted:

Those wing things were always way too far forward to look like a bee to me. To me, it always looked like a baby elephant with big Dumbo ears.

What are these wings meant to be? Are they ornamental or do they serve a purpose?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

What are these wings meant to be? Are they ornamental or do they serve a purpose?
There's no stated purpose as far as I know.
That said, radiator panels would be my guess. You have to get rid of waste heat somehow, and most freelancer ships have wings of some description that could house radiators.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159302

Welcome to Honshu, which is pretty much the same as what we have seen in Kusari space before. I'll be using a different ship for the next tour or two. I've decided on my next ship but I haven't decided what my next path will be yet. I'm going to miss the drone and my rainbow weaponry.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"video unavailable" for some reason