Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Huh, works on my end. It's not one of those targeted country bans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm in Serbia, so 100% possible.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

inscrutable horse posted:

Huh, works on my end. It's not one of those targeted country bans?

I'm getting the same thing, but I can access the video by going to RBD's channel and clicking it there, so it may be a weird thing with the link in the post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjONMuvfzjE Does this work?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It does, thanks.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
:doh: Apologies, for some reason I included a "-" in the youtube link. I've been on a call with my daughter in Scotland so I've been completely oblivious up until now.

I've updated the link in the OP and amended the original post. I'll repost it here too:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Wow, flashbacks of this game. I used to love it a lot. I wish there was something else that filled that void but SC has become little more than an elaborate punching bag.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well, Freelancer's inspiration was Privateer and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is extremely Privateer, so .. that's about all I got. I should go pick up RGO again and try my hand at the ship painter again. What a ludicrously overengineered tool, I love it even though my output is terrible

unless you want to delve into questionable mobile ports? Then we can make fun of Galaxy on Fire 2!

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 1, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Psion posted:

Well, Freelancer's inspiration was Privateer and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is extremely Privateer, so .. that's about all I got. I should go pick up RGO again and try my hand at the ship painter again. What a ludicrously overengineered tool, I love it even though my output is terrible

unless you want to delve into questionable mobile ports? Then we can make fun of Galaxy on Fire 2!

Did you ever play Privateer 2? Did you ever get an incredible number of crashes or was it just me?

Hmm, privateer 1 and 2 are on gog, so maybe I should pick those up and try again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I could never get into privateer, it was just too dated once I got it.

But there is some kind of Freelancer-like game I always forget the name of that's currently in development, though it seems whackier than most other outings we have had so far.

Edit: Oh and there's a bunch of mods for regular Freelancer but I can't speak for their quality because I never tried them out properly.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

evilmiera posted:

But there is some kind of Freelancer-like game I always forget the name of that's currently in development, though it seems whackier than most other outings we have had so far.
That'd be Underspace, developed by prolific Skyrim modders Trainwhiz.
Less titty mods, more replacing dragons with Thomas the tank engine mods.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sb hermit posted:

Did you ever play Privateer 2? Did you ever get an incredible number of crashes or was it just me?

Hmm, privateer 1 and 2 are on gog, so maybe I should pick those up and try again.

I did, yes. I remember it being weird, having some planet landing CG clips that I thought were a really cool 2.5 seconds, and was otherwise really not that good of an actual game experience.

I don't remember crashes as it's been a while but everything back in the Windows 95/98 era was crashing every 15 minutes anyway?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Psion posted:

I did, yes. I remember it being weird, having some planet landing CG clips that I thought were a really cool 2.5 seconds, and was otherwise really not that good of an actual game experience.

I don't remember crashes as it's been a while but everything back in the Windows 95/98 era was crashing every 15 minutes anyway?

Funny enough, it was a dos game. Quake and descent were pretty solid for games in that era but privateer 2 was indeed crashing all the time. Which was standard for an Origin game of that era.

Although I admit that it's unfair to compare anything to Quake, which had a pretty solid codebase.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

sb hermit posted:

Funny enough, it was a dos game. Quake and descent were pretty solid for games in that era but privateer 2 was indeed crashing all the time. Which was standard for an Origin game of that era.

Although I admit that it's unfair to compare anything to Quake, which had a pretty solid codebase.

Privateer 2 was SPECIAL
You had to be really careful about what you loaded into the 640k of memory or it just wouldn't launch.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Veloxyll posted:

Privateer 2 was SPECIAL
You had to be really careful about what you loaded into the 640k of memory or it just wouldn't launch.

a lot of mid 90s Origin games were like that, since they needed more than just the 640

Ultima 7 (and U7p2) was the only ones where it was worth the effort

so maybe it was the TSRs that I had that were probably at fault

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've been looking at Privateer 2 on gog.com and it seems like there's a lot of issues with their version. For some, it's virtually unplayable without an unofficial patch. I'll probably check it out at some point when I've whittled the long list of games I have at the moment.

I made the mistake of venturing into Sigma 19 with a light fighter. It was going well, for about five minutes at the most.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

That'd be Underspace, developed by prolific Skyrim modders Trainwhiz.
Less titty mods, more replacing dragons with Thomas the tank engine mods.

Seen some of the gameplay from 8 months ago. It looked pretty fun, but no idea if I would get into it in the long run. Guess we'll see.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It seems like I have made a massive error in judgement in the number of systems that I have left to tour in Kushari space. I still have three more ships to use in this part of space and the only viable tour left is that of Hokkaido. There are two more systems in Kusari space and I'm welcome in neither right now. (Edit: I believe that we will be welcome in one of them during the next story mission) and I think that one of them is only accessible after the main storyline has been completed. I'll be touring Hokkaido with the Hawk. I will try to work something out with the Barracuda as I was planning on using the Dragon for the story missions.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The universe as we know it currently: https://i.imgur.com/cwGwgCk.png

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159334

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's pretty interesting that while LIberty sits right in the middle between the other three power blocks, it actually takes two fewer jumps to go from the capital of Bretonia to the capital of Kusari (unless you take the special hidden jump gate from Magellan to New York, then it takes one fewer jump). And since flying from jump gate to jump gate takes more time than flying from system to system, that should result in significant shorter travel times if you're a freighter. And it's the same between Bretonia and Rheinland, and between Kusari and Rheinland, only without the Magellan -> New York shortcut.

But taking the shorter route of course means flying through the much less patrolled Border Worlds, so that might be a reason to fly through Liberty instead.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 8, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I forgot to mention that the Tohoku system will be used in one of the story missions. The map indicates that it will be unavailable to visit after the main storyline is complete, the wiki says that it will be available afterwards. I will try it for myself as and when I reach that point in the game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to visit [spoiler]Tau-23 again[/b] for the Barracudas first outing, somewhere quick and easy(ish) at the moment. I am over the worst of a summer cold at the moment, but not too far over it, so I probably made things look more difficult than it actually was.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've been looking at Privateer 2 on gog.com and it seems like there's a lot of issues with their version. For some, it's virtually unplayable without an unofficial patch. I'll probably check it out at some point when I've whittled the long list of games I have at the moment.

please, your time is more valuable than this :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Psion posted:

please, your time is more valuable than this :v:

You clearly don't understand my capacity with engaging in frivolous activities. I have a lot of weird and hard to explain stories from my younger days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159386

I wanted to revisit Tau 23 as we only passed through it before. There is a jump gate into the system but the jump hole was closer, I probably should have entered through the front door as the welcome party was not fun to deal with.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Just a heads up, I usually update on a Sunday but I'm not sure if I will be able too this week. It's been solid work and childcare and will be tomorrow too. On Friday I will be going to Scotland and won't be returning until late on Sunday. There's nowhere really viable to tour at the moment so the next update will be a story mission. I managed to spend some time travelling back to Bretonia to make a tidy profit and then heading back to Kyushu to prepare for the next mission. I did swing by Tau 37 and said nope pretty much within a minute of arriving which ate up even more time. I'll give the mission a test run tonight and possibly make an attempt at recording it tomorrow night but I'm not going to push too hard as I have a 6am start on Friday. The next update will most likely happen on Monday.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
No worries. Looking forward to more story. I believe this is where the plot starts to ramp up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You clearly don't understand my capacity with engaging in frivolous activities. I have a lot of weird and hard to explain stories from my younger days.

please don't pay attention as I attempt to hide my xbox 360 gamerscore

ahem, what were we talking about again? Yes. right. Privateer 2. Should probably skip that one!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psion posted:

please don't pay attention as I attempt to hide my xbox 360 gamerscore

ahem, what were we talking about again? Yes. right. Privateer 2. Should probably skip that one!

Privateer 2 is worth it just for the bonkers cutscenes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Night10194 posted:

Privateer 2 is worth it just for the bonkers cutscenes.

the first few cutscenes are worth it for today's $5 admission price alone

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

big sci fi channel vibes. reminds me of farscape but more fun

note that I know little of farscape except for the blue lady and the annoying muppet

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

big sci fi channel vibes. reminds me of farscape but more fun

note that I know little of farscape except for the blue lady and the annoying muppet

How dare you speak about Ben Browder like that!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just completed a test run of the eighth mission, it's pretty straightforward and fairly quick so it won't be too much of a problem to record in a tight time frame. I'll have a small window of opportunity to record before or after work tomorrow. As long as there aren't any major hiccups I should get something done. As much as I'd like to be ambitious and pencil in a late Sunday (GMT) update, Monday is looking like the best option to be able to give myself time to work on a proper update. Throwing an update up in a fast manner and heading to bed never usually works out smoothly. I'll have a lot more free time next week compared to this week as I'll be childcare free temporarily.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

How dare you speak about Ben Browder like that!

I was just about to post the exact same joke. :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I managed to find time to record before work but I accidentally pressed the menu button mid-mission. I had time to record after work and thought that I'd record it again as I wasn't happy with the menu press and ended up having a grammatical nightmare about halfway through. Either way, there's going to be a bit of a bugger up in the next update!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159433

It's late but I'm feeling alert enough to post an update. The new information contains all of the new log entries and all of the new news updates that have appeared on the bulletin, I've even entered a couple of the entries into the wiki. This is fairly short for a story mission, but you'll soon find out why this is.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

quote:

There's something different about the people Juni knows in this system. They're so strong in their convictions -- kinda makes me forget about more trivial things. That reminds me - I still haven't gotten paid!

uh oh, Trent was replaced by an impostor and nobody noticed

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Ah the dragon, one of my favourite ship designs. In this game, and in general. Distinctive and cool looking, engines in a sensible place.

Edison Trent posted:

Joining the radical left?
Hell yeah Trent, let's be space Trotskyists!

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
We are hated by the goverment and bounty hunters, again! Yay!

It was around this point that I did my aforementioned Omicron exploration after doing enough free flight missions for Blood Dragons and Golden Chrysanthemums to shift Outcasts rep enough to not have them shoot on sight while checking their lawless turf.
Bounty hunters were still trouble, but I was a stubborn brat and save scummed until I got lucky to avoid their patrols. Just to see new places.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know, for as many times as I've played this game, I honestly have no idea what the Blood Dragons are actually about. They're a counter-political group that opposes the Shogun I guess, but I have no idea why, or what they're hoping to accomplish. I mean Space Japan is pretty corrupt, but what is their goal? Are they trying to tear down the Emperor and install a democracy? Are they opposing the policies of discrimination? Are they against all the foreigners? Are they trying to kill the corrupt officials, or just take over the nation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

After several attempts, I've completed a test run of the next mission and it's going to be a messy one :tif: