Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I tried watching Waterworld some time ago and by the time the main character sells the romantic interest to a passing rapist it kind of got too weird to enjoy even ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

8one6 posted:

I've had the vodka, it's not bad. If you just want the bottle it's worth it.

I am by no means a vodka enthusiast but can drink that one just fine, and the bottles own. Imma have so many skull lamps.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've seen so many trailers for Free Guy that it feels like I've seen the whole movie already. Can't see it doing well but who knows.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The name for sure sucks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s a pun, based on language familiar to the 47-year-old executive who insisted on it when he reflected on his own knowledge of playing video games in college.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

8one6 posted:

I've had the vodka, it's not bad. If you just want the bottle it's worth it.

Surprisingly affordable considering Dan makes sure every bottle is made out of real alien skulls he stole from area 51.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

Surprisingly affordable considering Dan makes sure every bottle is made out of real alien skulls he stole from area 51.

There's a Warhammer 40k joke in there.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Karloff posted:

I don't get why people, especially on film twitter, are so mad about Clifford. It's a kids film about a big red dog getting involved in escapades, it looks harmless and fun for its intended audience of children. It seems like an odd thing to rail against.

As someone who spends way too much time on Twitter, the only thing Film Twitter hates more than movies is people enjoying movies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1421609383281242112?s=20

Intolerance was about the left

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

old post but holy poo poo did they use this for Space Jam 2

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Alan Smithee posted:

Intolerance was about the left

Unironically yes.

Wikipedia posted:

Griffith chose to explore the theme of intolerance partly in response to his previous film The Birth of a Nation (1915) being criticized by the NAACP and other groups for perpetuating racial stereotypes and glorifying the Ku Klux Klan.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Is anyone still making that connection 100 years later? I'd assume to about 99% of people, they're just statues of elephants.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Film people who know his background? No

People who visit the mall there and go "hmm I wonder what that's about" and go look it up and make a tik tok about it? All it takes is one

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s a pun, based on language familiar to the 47-year-old executive who insisted on it when he reflected on his own knowledge of playing video games in college.

Maybe I’m dense but what is the pun supposed to be?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i swear to god if it's the opposite of Pwned Guy

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

I have heard people refer to an extra life as a "free guy" but not in like thirty years

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ALFbrot posted:

I have heard people refer to an extra life as a "free guy" but not in like thirty years

But thats not even a pun (?), it's just directly what the movie is referring to as far as I can tell. i guess I'm missing this as well

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

But thats not even a pun (?), it's just directly what the movie is referring to as far as I can tell. i guess I'm missing this as well

His character is also named Guy. So it's probably also about him becoming self-aware and wanting to be freed from the system or something.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Article makes it seem like they were removing the elephants anyway as part of modernizing but they realized they could get PR points by saying they were doing it for racism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

A free guy is what you called it when you got another life in Pac Man, and the movie is about a character named Guy trying to free himself.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Failed Imagineer posted:

Like an extra life or something, you get a free guy when your guy dies

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Okay. Good to know. I’ve never heard an extra life in a video game referred to as a “free guy” but that might speak more to my ignorance than anything.

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

QuoProQuid posted:

A free guy is when you earn an extra life on a coin op video game. You didn't have to pay for the extra guy, so it's "free."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It just seems weird to apply 8 bit logic to a GTA open world....MMO?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Like an extra life or something, you get a free guy when your guy dies

they should have called it Free Life then. Or Extra Life.

I hate this movie already solely based on this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's like that Frank Grillo movie, Boss Level, where a much more thematically relevant videogame name would have been Speed Run since Frank Grillo's character spends the entire movie trying to sequence break so he can get to the final part faster.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s the same reason that for 20 years every character on tv playing a video game would be holding a playstation controller but you’d hear Atari bleep bloops or Donkey Kong.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a Warhammer 40k joke in there.

Honestly a crazed Dan Akroyd type scripted Wahammer 40K comedy is the only type of WH40k movie I would ever want to see.
I mean bonus points if he puts himself in it as old man himself, going about stealing alien skulls for his vodka, oblivious to the grim dark only war future going on around.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Honestly a crazed Dan Akroyd type scripted Wahammer 40K comedy is the only type of WH40k movie I would ever want to see.
I mean bonus points if he puts himself in it as old man himself, going about stealing alien skulls for his vodka, oblivious to the grim dark only war future going on around.

Skulls for the skull vodka

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

It's like that Frank Grillo movie, Boss Level, where a much more thematically relevant videogame name would have been Speed Run since Frank Grillo's character spends the entire movie trying to sequence break so he can get to the final part faster.

That movie was more enjoyable than it had any right to be, despite Mel Gibson. Will Sasso made for a fun bad guy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/amandaknox/status/1420871392266911746?s=21

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean GTA is basically just an MMO now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Have the feeling that the 50 year old producer who actually decided the name of it just like having the word Boss in it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can understand her being concerned that the case is still famous 15 years later, especially as the satanic panic elements introduced by the crazy detective on the case, merely eccentric fantasies then, make her interesting to qanon psychos who will probably want to kill her in our current cultural environment.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm not sure what is wrong with what they did. It was inspired by what happened to Amanda Knox, but its not actually a movie about what happened to her. Like maybe the writer could have avoided mentioning her name, but I think people could've figured it out anyways. As far as I can tell, none of the actual marketing material mentions the inspiration, only the one interview the guy did. Fiction takes inspiration from real life events all the time. There shouldn't be a need to conform to the facts when they completely change most of the details and its being presented as a fictional work.

It'd be a different story if it was heavily marketing its ties to Amanda Knox's story or more closely matched it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

From what I gathered the movie has her stand-in being partly responsible for the murder so there’s that

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Like maybe the writer could have avoided mentioning her name, but I think people could've figured it out anyways.

You don’t perceive this as a possible problem? Hollywood can steal the rough outline of your life events, and do so so blatantly that it’s clear who is being referenced without needing to name them, make millions of dollars off of your story, and you are owed nothing, not money, not an opportunity to provide input, absolutely nothing?

Would this movie exist if Amanda Knox didn’t?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not sure what is wrong with what they did. It was inspired by what happened to Amanda Knox, but its not actually a movie about what happened to her. Like maybe the writer could have avoided mentioning her name, but I think people could've figured it out anyways. As far as I can tell, none of the actual marketing material mentions the inspiration, only the one interview the guy did. Fiction takes inspiration from real life events all the time. There shouldn't be a need to conform to the facts when they completely change most of the details and its being presented as a fictional work.

It'd be a different story if it was heavily marketing its ties to Amanda Knox's story or more closely matched it.

https://twitter.com/amandaknox/status/1420872579695333379

It's a movie inspired by the things she was wrongfully accused of doing. I can see being upset that they made "Amanda Knox but the serial numbers are filed off" and then having the fictional version of her doing the things that people accused her of, like having a sexual relationship with her roommate or having her have anything at all to do with her roommate's murder. I think "keep my loving name out of your mouth" is actually really a reasonable request from someone who's been through a hell of a lot, including 8 years of false imprisonment.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Like, if you made a movie about a powerful Hollywood producer named Harvey Weinberg who was the target of a conspiracy by jealous rivals and spurned suitors and who had his reputation destroyed and his life ruined by false accusations of sexual assault, but who ultimately triumphs over his accusers in court and sees his reputation restored…well, it’s obviously not Harvey Weinstein, his story was completely different, it’s just a jumping off point and there’s no intent to draw parallels or imply that his accusers might also be liars. It’s just fiction.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
... do you not see how that movie would be viewed as indicating that Weinstein didn't do the things he was accused of? It would come across as hagiography, you get that right?

edit I thought you were the person arguing that this isn't sleazy and misread your post as sincere, apologies