Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

(the D stands for Delta)

Bogus Adventure posted:

El Niño es Rey de Reyes!

https://twitter.com/clintonyates/status/1421646291914743808

https://twitter.com/Jessica_Whitney/status/1407932897152151555

https://i.imgur.com/vtcd3x0.mp4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TRADE DEADLINE WRAP UP

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The championship season was fun. That's all the positive views I've got left

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Berrios makes his first start for the Jays today. How this game goes will determine whether the Jays will win the World Series or if they'll end up missing the playoffs with a +200 run differential.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Is it still cool to ask what the good Chinese jersey site is? Think it’s time to get some new ones

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A video retrospective of baseball’s most impressive streak

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwk3a3nhJfw&pp=sAQA

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Hand Knit posted:

Berrios makes his first start for the Jays today. How this game goes will determine whether the Jays will win the World Series or if they'll end up missing the playoffs with a +200 run differential.

it’s an exciting place to be in, we have work to do

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1421838610974773254?s=20

Lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Rizzo has a 664 OPS+ as a Yankee.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Rizzo has a 664 OPS+ as a Yankee.

Dude rules, I am happy I get to root for him directly now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timby posted:

Holy poo poo. A friend of mine arranged for me to call an inning of the Iowa Cubs game on July 31 (my 37th birthday).

I wanna know how this went! Did it get fouled up that it turned into a half doubleheader?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1421868155396399104?s=20

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

This is a medical thing right? How do they not know about this before drafting him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is a medical thing right? How do they not know about this before drafting him?
I have no idea but the Mets hosed themselves hard here

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So what happens to Kumar? Can he be drafter by another team or does he have to wait until next year?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The article answers all of that, he can return to Vanderbilt or play indie ball and enter next year's draft

The Mets didn't know how injured he was because he skipped the pre-draft MRI program (not unusual for high picks)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's a good thing the Mets still have their 2020 first round pick...Javier Baez and Trevor Williams.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have no idea but the Mets hosed themselves hard here

there were injury rumors around him which is why he fell to #10, and I guess the Mets didn't do their own evaluation of him before the draft and instead went on reports from his personal doctor and/or the physio(s) at Vanderbilt

which is worryingly naïve for a professional sports team

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

A similar thing happened with R.A. Dickey. The Rangers drafted him, but between the draft and signing the team doctor had a look at him, and noticed that he had no UCL. He still signed with the Rangers, but they dropped their offer from 800,000 to 75,000.

Does anyone know what kind of physicals prospective top drafts go through?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a javy baez #23 mets jersey is the most obscene thing i've ever seen

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Meet the Mets
Meet the Mets
Step right up and don't sign with the Mets

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Didn’t Kumar get left out for a pretty high number of pitches during one of his early starts this year, which suspiciously matched the point his velo started to drop? I’d be pretty pissed if my pro career got ruined, or severely hampered, by an overzealous manager while I was playing for free.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Happened with Atlanta's first-round pick like two drafts ago too. He committed to Mississippi State and, represented by Scott Boras, filed a grievance alleging that Atlanta's reduced offer did not meet the like 40% of slot minimum to entitle them to an extra pick in the following draft; that grievance was denied. Forget if he actually played at Mississippi State or not but he later left to go I forget, KBO or NPB, considered noteworthy at the time like it might start a trend but I don't recall any other guys following in his footsteps.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
From JJ Cooper (baseballamerica) on the Twins weekly show:

1. Strotman has better secondaries, more confidence in using them, etc than Joe Ryan, so less relief risk... yet Ryan has outperformed him at every level thanks to a fastball "that's difficult to explain why it's working for him" and good command. Scouts he's talked to are mixed on if the deception will remain effective.

2. Austin Martin is an effective hitter with good speed who has had disappointing power but it dealing with injuries so it's tough to tell what his actual power potential is. There's heavy skepticism he's really a shortstop so the question becomes if he's a rangy centerfielder with an iffy arm, a super utility guy, or a corner outfielder. As Cooper notes, that's basically where the Twins are at with Royce Lewis (albeit without the COF risk). I'd add Arraez there, aside from the obvious difference that Martin has speed where Arraez does not.

As I look at the farm:
Could definitely see Martin and Arraez hitting 1-2 for years to come, but am at a point where I'd be surprised if either maintains an ISO over .100, which is tough to feel good about as a duo when neither appears to be a premium defender.

Bigger picture, having extended team control of an offensive core of Arraez, Martin, Lewis, Kiriloff, Larnach, and Jeffers is good news, especially given that half that group has demonstrated a major league floor already. Add in Kepler and Polanco on team-friendly deals and the hope of resigning Buxton, and things are looking brighter on that side. There's some hope of a second wave once these guys are established as well, either from draft position (Sabato (40% Ks with .290 slugging is the debut you want from your first round college 1B, right?), Cavaco (31% Ks and a .711 OPS), and Wallner (.680 SLG is nice. 40% Ks is yikes)) or continued MILB performance (Miranda, who earned a promotion with a .996 OPS in AA and has kicked off AAA with 30 games over 1.000, showing the sort of power growth the Twins hope to unlock with Martin).

Pitching has been an injury carousel (because TINSTAAPP). The positives are that Winder demolished AA, Balazovic has been on a strong AA run when healthy, and Ober appears to have gone from softtossing statistical anomaly (3 injury riddled seasons with a K% over 30 and BB% under 4%) to potential bottom-of-the-order guy who isn't dying in MLB thanks to a post pandemic velo uptick. Add those to Ryan, Strotman, and the prestige (if not performance) of SWR, and the team has reason to expect cheap bottom of the rotation pitching for the coming 5-7 years. Add in the injury cases of Dobnak, Duran, Canterino, Enlow, and Sands and you have one of the deeper prospect and controllable pitching pools in baseball, but universally low-ceiling guys.

It's the right scenario to spend and spend big on FA pitching atop the rotation and hope that the attrition from pitching prospects leads to a stellar, cheap bullpen. But that'd require the Twins to overpay on top pitchers or go out and deal from the farm for a deadline rental :lol:

If Maeda gets back closer to his 2020 form and Ryan and Strotman can do better than 30 combined starts of Shoemaker and Happ... 2022 just needs a competent bullpen to swing back to competitive. Dealing Berrios represents folding the bet that Kiriloff, Larnach, Acala, and Duran would push the Buxton/Sano/Berrios/Kepler core to the next level, instead hoping that crew is vets supporting this less impressive wave and that Lewis, Martin, and SWR can provide that push in 23/24. Better hope Donaldson ages gracefully and there are deadline markets for Kepler and Polanco as they get pushed out of their positions.

This has been super unnecessary Twinsposting.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

a javy baez #23 mets jersey is the most obscene thing i've ever seen

Wait'll you see Kris Bryant's #23 Giants jersey

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There's been rumblings about Rocker having reduced velocity and stuff for a couple months now, so this isn't really surprising to anyone who has been following the draft stuff

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Rizzo and Javy are making me root for New York teams what the hell :psyduck:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

It shouldn't even matter, honestly. If he needs TJS so be it. Unless he's got TOS or his entire shoulder is shrapnel there's no reason for them to not sign him except that it saves Cohen the money.

Especially after they shipped out Crow-Armstrong for Javy.

Apparently Rocker might have 2 more years of draft eligibility though, because of the COVID season, which does make it more sensible for him to turn down a lowball offer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Mets probably didn't sign Rocker because of haggling over less money than they are paying Bobby Bonilla this year. Do you think anyone will care in 4 years if they gave him 6 million instead of 4 and he didn't pan out as a prospect vs him becoming a star for another team and them looking like complete idiots?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you think a guy isn’t worth anywhere near his slot value then maybe don’t take him with that pick?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Angels fans disappointed when we missed

Cole, but he's struggling after the spider tack ban
Bauer, but it turns out he's 100% dirtbag instead of just 90%
Rocker, but maybe health issues?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

A similar thing happened with R.A. Dickey. The Rangers drafted him, but between the draft and signing the team doctor had a look at him, and noticed that he had no UCL. He still signed with the Rangers, but they dropped their offer from 800,000 to 75,000.

Does anyone know what kind of physicals prospective top drafts go through?

It also happened with the Astros and Brady Aiken in what was the first thing that made people mad at them. They had agreements in place with Aiken below slot and two late picks above slot but found something in his UCL so lowered their offer to the minimum required to get a pick the following draft and pulled their offers from the other two. All three had agents by this time so their NCAA eligibility was blown

Total clusterfuck

e: the player they got the following year because of not signing Aiken was Bregman, Aiken needed TJS and is bad. Still, it hosed up the other two pretty badly

They came close to having two #1 overall pitchers in back to back years to never make the majors (Appel isn't making it, I suppose Aiken still has time)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 1, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers once had a Vanderbilt pitcher fall to them in the late first round due to injury concerns. He got TJS soon after they signed him. But they did indeed sign him. His name is Walker Buehler and he was worth every penny.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

nothing much to post other than I hate the loving dodgers so much and it makes me SICK that Trea plays for them now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

It also happened with the Astros and Brady Aiken in what was the first thing that made people mad at them. They had agreements in place with Aiken below slot and two late picks above slot but found something in his UCL so lowered their offer to the minimum required to get a pick the following draft and pulled their offers from the other two. All three had agents by this time so their NCAA eligibility was blown

Total clusterfuck

e: the player they got the following year because of not signing Aiken was Bregman, Aiken needed TJS and is bad. Still, it hosed up the other two pretty badly

They came close to having two #1 overall pitchers in back to back years to never make the majors (Appel isn't making it, I suppose Aiken still has time)
Yeah Aiken's arm never really recovered. He's only pitched in 2 games since 2017.

One of the guys the Astros didn't sign was Jacob Nix, who ended up getting drafted by the Padres later on. The second guy was Mac Marshall who the Giants later drafted, but he has not turned out to be much of anything.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Maybe this is old news and I am late to the party, but...

:siren: The Royals have a pitcher named Dick Lovelady.

Move aside Dick Mountain, there's a new sheriff in town.

He goes by Richard, but that is irrelevant

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

This has been super unnecessary Twinsposting.

Please take a look at the normal postings that happen in here and realize that nothing about this was unnecessary

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah Aiken's arm never really recovered. He's only pitched in 2 games since 2017.

One of the guys the Astros didn't sign was Jacob Nix, who ended up getting drafted by the Padres later on. The second guy was Mac Marshall who the Giants later drafted, but he has not turned out to be much of anything.

IIRC Nix was extremely unhappy about getting dicked around by the Astros (understandably, I believe he was a signability guy who wanted to go to college) and denied them permission to draft him the following year which I didn't know was a thing until that happened, apparently if you go unsigned after being drafted you have to give the team that didn't sign you permission to draft you again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

IIRC Nix was extremely unhappy about getting dicked around by the Astros (understandably, I believe he was a signability guy who wanted to go to college) and denied them permission to draft him the following year which I didn't know was a thing until that happened, apparently if you go unsigned after being drafted you have to give the team that didn't sign you permission to draft you again
Yes and I forgot that he went to IMG Academy the year after that with Brady Aiken which must have been weird

As you mentioned he lost his NCAA eligibility