Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i thought the phantom menace was great when it came out.

i was also 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
now this is hijacking

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i'm just saying, it would be difficult for phantom menace's initial reception to have been affected by events in 2001 due to the linear nature of time

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was talking about the continued raging against the prequels as they went on and the world went to war around them. And all that became one of the hallmarks that early internet nerds would bond over hating the prequels in a way that became detached from the movies themselves. Which is what leads us to this today.

Up Circle posted:

i was also 10

It was okay.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

world trade center

trade federation

bin laden

jar jar binks

:tinfoil:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The leader of the Trade Federation is literally Newt Gunray

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was talking about the continued raging against the prequels as they went on and the world went to war around them. And all that became one of the hallmarks that early internet nerds would bond over hating the prequels in a way that became detached from the movies themselves. Which is what leads us to this today.

They just sucked. There's no other deeper meaning behind people not liking them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

How do you explain the people who do like them though? Rotten tomatoes suggests they are a (narrow) majority of both critics and laypeople.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They didn't feel it sucked.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The same thing that makes people defend the original Space Jam.

Nostalgia.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

They both had heavy merchandising and a cartoon rabbit but I'm otherwise not sure how you'd pair together Space Jam and the Prequels.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

They both had heavy merchandising and a cartoon rabbit but I'm otherwise not sure how you'd pair together Space Jam and the Prequels.

besides their similarities, you can't find any similarities?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's getting towards semantics but if I asked you to pick a cartoon rabbit who sells lots of toys you'd have to be a true prequeldomer to say "Jar Jar Binks".

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

It's getting towards semantics but if I asked you to pick a cartoon rabbit who sells lots of toys you'd have to be a true prequeldomer to say "Jar Jar Binks".

most people think of jar-jar binks as an alien rather than a rabbit.

i do think the comparison to space jam is a good one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You may as well compare the prequels to a Big Mac at that point.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

josh04 posted:

You may as well compare the prequels to a Big Mac at that point.

The prequels are like Big Macs because you get drawn in by a big shiny commercial that says it has a way to bring back your childhood and when you get it it is all sloppy and half made and full of sadness. And then 3 years later you do it all again. And then 3 years later you do it all again.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Up Circle posted:

i was also 10

Same, and I still think that :getin:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

Nostalgia.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nostalgia for Gungans? Battle droids? Computerised visual effects?

Is The Empire Strikes Back the Big Mac of Star Wars (1977)?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ah, I see we're reviving the whole "I don't know what basic words mean" from the dome.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I'd prefer if you offered more than a one-word explanation but I'm happy to continue to apple-dip: are you suggesting against all evidence that everyone at the time hated it and now people only like it out of nostalgia? Because tbh I'm not even convinced people do like Space Jam. There is no SpaceJamDome.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Saying “nostalgia” is a key similarity between two movies puts the prequels in the same category as like “pogs” or “ska music”

It’s not about knowing what words mean it’s about using them so they make sense

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

I'd prefer if you offered more than a one-word explanation but I'm happy to continue to apple-dip: are you suggesting against all evidence that everyone at the time hated it and now people only like it out of nostalgia? Because tbh I'm not even convinced people do like Space Jam. There is no SpaceJamDome.

Lol, you're literally ignoring answers to a question while acting like everyone around you is being a jerk.

How do you compare space jam and the prequels? The claim made by David D Davidson is people who like both do so because of nostalgia. That was the comparison made. It was extremely clear. You brought in merchandising and rabbits for some stupid reason.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The prequels are a lot like my childhood home in the suburbs in that I’m nostalgic for both of them

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CainFortea posted:

Ah, I see we're reviving the whole "I don't know what basic words mean" from the dome.

Getting flashbacks to the "complicit" controversy re: Jedi + slavery

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

CainFortea posted:

Lol, you're literally ignoring answers to a question while acting like everyone around you is being a jerk.

How do you compare space jam and the prequels? The claim made by David D Davidson is people who like both do so because of nostalgia. That was the comparison made. It was extremely clear. You brought in merchandising and rabbits for some stupid reason.

The confusion is because I was talking about the reviews on rotten tomatoes, which include contemporary reviews, so I thought the accusation was that the films were themselves a naked appeal to nostalgia - like the new Space Jam.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The prequels give me some "Boss Baby" vibes

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

The confusion is because I was talking about the reviews on rotten tomatoes, which include contemporary reviews, so I thought the accusation was that the films were themselves a naked appeal to nostalgia - like the new Space Jam.

The claim is that people who like them do so because of nostalgia. Nostalgia, is the reason people like them. Nostalgia, which is the reason people like them, is the reason given for why people like them. The poison. The poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen especially to kill Kuzco, Kuzco's poison.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Is nostalgia the reason people liked them in 1999, i.e. nostalgia for the originals, or is nostalgia the reason people like them now, i.e. nostalgia for the prequels themselves?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Okay let me explain.

The original Space Jam was not a good movie. It however gets a pass by a lot of people because they watched it when they were real little and thus hadn't yet developed an ability to critically think about what they were consuming other than it being a pleasing series of colorful images arranged sequentially.

So were the prequel movies for a lot of the people.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Space Jam sucks and the prequels are good, despite having watched both as a child.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oddly enough that scene is something of a continuity error. In Capitan America Civil War Spider-Man referred to Empire as "That really old movie."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Legos own, I got this as a gift and it kicked rear end to build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si3OCWNViUA

As seen in my avatar!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

David D. Davidson posted:

Oddly enough that scene is something of a continuity error. In Capitan America Civil War Spider-Man referred to Empire as "That really old movie."

The conclusion is that he's a nerd, but doing that thing where he pretends to not be too big of a nerd out of embarassment.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Okay let me explain.

The original Space Jam was not a good movie. It however gets a pass by a lot of people because they watched it when they were real little and thus hadn't yet developed an ability to critically think about what they were consuming other than it being a pleasing series of colorful images arranged sequentially.

Yeah, I just don't know if I can agree with this. Space Jam is literally a commercial pitch developed into a film and shot by a commercial jobber. Star Wars, any of them, are commercial blockbusters but they're definitely art first and foremost, and contemporary review treat the films seriously from that point of view.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CainFortea posted:

The claim is that people who like them do so because of nostalgia. Nostalgia, is the reason people like them. Nostalgia, which is the reason people like them, is the reason given for why people like them. The poison. The poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen especially to kill Kuzco, Kuzco's poison.

I find the obstinate refusal to elaborate even slightly in favor of just yelling nostalgia progressively louder and louder quite funny, but it doesn't exactly elucidate your original point

Okay let me explain.

Ok, but Josh's main point is that adults who saw it in 1999 for the first time actually liked it too. Where they time travelers who due to nostalgia traveled back in time to see TPM again? Did they suffer from some form of hitherto unknown malady known as pre-stalgia where one is nostalgic for things they haven't seen yet?
Or is the claim that their nostalgia for the OT made TPM more palatable?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McCloud posted:

I find the obstinate refusal to elaborate even slightly in favor of just yelling nostalgia progressively louder and louder quite funny, but it doesn't exactly elucidate your original point

"How do you explain people who like the movies?"
"They like it because of nostalgia"
"If only someone would answer my question!?!?!"

It's a meme from the other thread.

Also, it wasn't even my point. I was just poking at josh for doing the bit. I think people like them because they enjoy watching them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nostalgia for the OT was a big factor in why people liked episode 1 at the time, yes. the consensus that i remember was basically "well, it's not as good as the originals...but there's a lot of potential for the setting, and it still felt like 'star wars'"

i think it's harder to be generous to it now partially because episodes 2 and 3 squandered any good will toward the prequel setting as a whole. maybe if lucas had held the course on darth jar jar things could have been less of a mess, but of course there are a lot of problems with 2 & 3 that would have been present regardless, like the premature transition to digital filming and the overreliance on green screen that left the actors acting in a void with no living people or actual environment.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CainFortea posted:

"How do you explain people who liked the movies at the time of release?"
"They like it because of nostalgia"