Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh

since i find guns Cool and Interesting but also live in fuckin england im probably just gonna get real into airsoft or something

still need a license to own an airsoft gun that looks like an actual gun though, but you don't if it's two-tone (i.e at least half of it is a very bright colour like red or blue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rotor posted:

ammo from ww2 is still fine today

it’s the bizarre Eastern European poo poo that tends to explode. a gun youtuber recently fired a 50 BMG round of questionable provenance and it blew up in his face. lucky fucker lived but had to get some gnarly facial surgery

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rotor posted:

i just use old takeout & deli meat containers, op.

:psyduck: why are those not degradable, single use?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

cinci zoo sniper posted:

because everybody loving hates the ones that are degradable and single use

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

it’s the bizarre Eastern European poo poo that tends to explode. a gun youtuber recently fired a 50 BMG round of questionable provenance and it blew up in his face. lucky fucker lived but had to get some gnarly facial surgery

surely thats the kind of thing youd do behind a blast shield and with a piece of rope

"hmm yeah i got this bullet that might or might not blow my hands off, i should probably stand behind this thick plexiglass and fire it using a cord rather than putting my fleshy body parts anywhere loving near it"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

you can still use ammo for several weeks after the expiration date, the idea that ammo suddenly spoils after 3 weeks of sale is just a scam by Big Ammo to sell more bullets

nah man i used to think like that too but then i got a terrible case of lead poisoning so I don’t mess around any more.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cinci zoo sniper posted:

speaking of meal prep containers, was curious what other people use. plastic or glass? single or multiple layer/compartment?

i use glass, both single and bento-style compartments. it's heavier, but it also gets less grody and i can keep it in it and throw it into an oven or toaster oven (i use a flashxpress) and just heat it in-container. for soups/leftover sauces and stuff it's larger mason jars. i get enough microplastics in my daily life that i probably don't need even more endocrine disruptors, and ime they get gross as hell pretty quickly.

the one downside is that they don't stack as well, and heavier if you're bringing them to your office

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk take it up with the dude at the thai place, not me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

President Beep posted:

nah man i used to think like that too but then i got a terrible case of lead poisoning so I don’t mess around any more.

oh no beep so sorry to hear this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's plumb terrible, beep.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

oh no beep so sorry to hear this

i have lime disease too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

:hmmyes:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

i just use old takeout & deli meat containers, op.

the local place ended up shifting two times to slightly different shapes and lids but they all store neatly so idk i will use these new ones until the also crack

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's a good question and frankly i think it was a supply issue last year because they were before covid shut everything down for several months

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

im surprised you get a choice at all. for as long back as i remember we’ve primarily had biodegradable ones, with flimsy plastic tray exceptions for stuff like mayo-slathered salads, both deli and takeaway. earlier this year we made disposable plastic poo poo illegal for takeout, so now everything comes in biodegradable - which i do appreciate, to be honest

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

loving hell i wish i had made this joke.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xaris posted:

i use glass, both single and bento-style compartments. it's heavier, but it also gets less grody and i can keep it in it and throw it into an oven or toaster oven (i use a flashxpress) and just heat it in-container. for soups/leftover sauces and stuff it's larger mason jars. i get enough microplastics in my daily life that i probably don't need even more endocrine disruptors, and ime they get gross as hell pretty quickly.

the one downside is that they don't stack as well, and heavier if you're bringing them to your office

weight doesn’t phase me, i mostly meal prep for home use. would you, by chance, have a glass bento-style example handy? just curious to see what that looks like

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cls: tried using my fugly cafelat robot espresso press for the first time today, and it turned out into an 2 hour long adventure to discover that my coffee grinder’s burrs are misaligned, and to align them. resulting espresso though was surprisingly good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

President [Be] [Pb]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

that guy was also using a really stupidly designed gun.

to quote the website, it is "the first time a production firearm has ever been inspired by social media. Designed in conjunction with YouTube celebrity Royal Nonesuch." off to a good start

look carefully at the breech and you will note that it doesn't have any sort of bolt or loading action. it is a single-shot manually loaded rifle, and the breech block is literally a threaded cap with a hole in it for the firing pin. you unscrew the cap, put in a bullet, and screw it closed. this allows it to be "the least expensive way to get into shooting .50BMG."

for comparison, here are the bolt locking lugs on a military M99 rifle that fires the same cartridge. compare the size of those lugs to the screw threads above.

someone in another thread did the math when this guy's video first posted and the screw threads are rated for about ehhh 130% of the expected chamber pressure of a regular .50 BMG cartridge. meaning it will stay together as long as you don't have an unusually hot round for some reason. fortunately all bullets are made exactly the same and they always go off with exactly the same predictable pressure no matter where they were made or where you bought them from or how they were stored for the last couple of decade so who needs more than a 30% safety factor?

and hey, don't forget this thing is the least expensive way of detonating a .50 caliber cartridge inside a something resembling a rifle shooting .50 BMG!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 2, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

to quote the website, it is "the first time a production firearm has ever been inspired by social media. Designed in conjunction with YouTube celebrity Royal Nonesuch." off to a good start

look carefully at the breech and you will note that it doesn't have any sort of bolt or loading action. it is a single-shot manually loaded rifle, and the breech block is literally a threaded cap with a hole in it for the firing pin. you unscrew the cap, put in a bullet, and screw it closed. this allows it to be "the least expensive way to get into shooting .50BMG."

for comparison, here are the bolt locking lugs on a military M99 rifle that fires the same cartridge. compare the size of those lugs to the screw threads above.

but hey, this thing is the least expensive way of detonating a .50 caliber cartridge inside a something resembling a rifle shooting .50 BMG!

:wtc:

how could you decide it’s a good idea to fire something with a fallout 4 .50cal designed by some youtuber

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Buddy,

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cinci zoo sniper posted:

weight doesn’t phase me, i mostly meal prep for home use. would you, by chance, have a glass bento-style example handy? just curious to see what that looks like

I don't know the exact brand we bought, but it's basically this (and to be clear i'm not endorsing this specific link, but it looks almost exactly like what we have): https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Meal-Prep-Containers-Compartment/dp/B07JKXQFXG/ as a reference, should be a lot of various brands. the most important part is a good lid and the lids i have are not great.

I honestly don't get much use out of the compartmental containers myself, it's good for some things but usually just a big rectangular glass container is better/easier and mix all that poo poo together most of the time. i guess the only trhing I could think of would be doing meditterean meal prep where you have hummus, baba ganoush, etc in different compartments.

if weight isn't an issue, yeah i'd recommend getting a glass set of containers; but probably just single-compartment. they're easier to heat up, versatility in how you heat them up, will last forever if you don't break them, and stay much cleaner without degrading into microplastics

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 2, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my meals are all rice / protein / vegetable and its all gettin mixed up in the first 0.3 seconds so i dont super care about the kotoba

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:wtc:

how could you decide it’s a good idea to fire something with a fallout 4 .50cal designed by some youtuber

the design reminds me of a PTRD-41, a ww2 soviet anti-tank rifle that also looks like it's made out of a gas pipe. it is more than 2 meters long.

it was made in soviet factories in the middle of the second world war and operated by conscripts in the mud and snow and fired a 14mm cartridge that is still used today to shoot down light aircraft. and they still figured out how to make it not blow up in your face.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

lmao @ this stupid rear end gun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

the design reminds me of a PTRD-41, a ww2 soviet anti-tank rifle that also looks like it's made out of a gas pipe. it is more than 2 meters long.

it was made in soviet factories in the middle of the second world war and operated by conscripts in the mud and snow and fired a 14mm cartridge that is still used today to shoot down light aircraft. and they still figured out how to make it not blow up in your face.

well yeah, despite their simplicity they still used a soviet bloc action

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

[snip]

:stonkhat:

of course it's a fuckin mark serbu gun lmao jesus cristo

locking lugs are important even on smaller cartridges so it's honestly a miracle that anyone can fire that and not lose the front end of their skull. in the early 1900s the canadian Ross rifle had a design flaw where you could put the bolt together backwards and the locking lugs wouldn't fully engage. since it's a straight pull bolt this means that it would back itself out as it fired, potentially violently. there was never any documented case of this happening on the battlefield and they fixed it pretty quickly in a revision but one of the earlier forgotten weapons videos shows off the worst case scenario for it and it's fuckin horrifying

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

handguards and mirrors have begun to be hosed with

the red is dead on, happy with that. I was nervous about the oj/yellow, but I think it's going to work out. It's a little lighter than a lot of shots, but dead on with some others.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i cant tell the different between "games" and imp zone aside from a wacky stylesheet

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Imp Zone is the more relaxed and breezy place to post about video games. The ethos is to post with joy in your heart and go from there

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i have never ventured into imp zone, always slightly intimidated to leave my forums comfort zone. i mostly kinda sorta talk about games in the games thread here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

iirc imp zone is where noted forums poster larry parish posts

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

me too

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

dioxazine posted:

i have never ventured into imp zone, always slightly intimidated to leave my forums comfort zone. i mostly kinda sorta talk about games in the games thread here

i sometimes look around for threads to driveby shitpost in but there's rarely anything good

wow that makes me sound like a dickhead
but i mean gbs tends to be just the same 7 threads all the time and the majority of the other boards arent really focused on things i can contribute to

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

When I was marathoning the Yakuza series for a good chunk of this year I posted in the Yakuza Imp Zone thread and it was fun, that's a good thread imo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Fortaleza posted:

When I was marathoning the Yakuza series for a good chunk of this year I posted in the Yakuza Imp Zone thread and it was fun, that's a good thread imo

was debating making a cruelty squad thread in imp zone but i already made one in games back when it was early access
i still might if i can make a good OP

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

iirc part of the point of imp zone is that you don’t have to high effort it, it’s a fyad-lite that got promoted to full forum like how c-spam was the d&d fyad-lite but grew its own culture and needed to be top leveled

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

iirc part of the point of imp zone is that you don’t have to high effort it, it’s a fyad-lite that got promoted to full forum like how c-spam was the d&d fyad-lite but grew its own culture and needed to be top leveled

ohhh right i get it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

and it’s not illegal yet like it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if you're going to just make sweeping legislation to outlaw something in the name of environmental preservation you'd want to outlaw coal-fired power plants. you'll do a lot more than by outlawing reusable plastic takeout containers.