Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah it's pretty clearly due to it being a dream. There's enough issues with this comic that we don't need to make up new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Mx. posted:

that symbol is.... very yonic

I am not excited for Mookie's handling of whatever that reproductive diagram is hinting toward

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i like how both of them make sure to shave their pubes during their "adventures" but not all of the pubes because that would be weird

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mx. posted:

a trace so nice he used it twice

e: had to double check this was a new page

that symbol is.... very yonic
I'm pretty sure what we're supposed to take away from this is that Corpsewife's ~*dangerous aberration*~ is spreading. Here's where we saw the weird poo poo before, as part of the world's most tepid psychadelic freakout, back in January:

This all got glossed for the audience (in May) in an infodump by rear end in a top hat orc, the same infodump that made Snout cry. This is page 2/3 of the :words:, not posting the rest:

So I think what we're supposed to believe is that Snout is a "chandak" (mean orc says the guy who got eaten by the corpsevines might've been a chandak, I think the lovely album cover visions are supposed to hint it's Snout) and the most recent page where the imagery shows up again has vines over everything, so I think this is the "dangerous aberration" reacting to the "essence of Maltak" or whatever.

I look forward to learning more of this new and dangerously stupid development.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SubG posted:

I'm pretty sure what we're supposed to take away from this is that Corpsewife's ~*dangerous aberration*~ is spreading.

Yeah that seemed pretty obvious to me, but it's just such a boring, nothing plotline that it's hard to care or even comment on it.

And yeah Snout is clearly some kind of super dreamworld sage or whatever. It's quite confusing how little the other characters have commented on this, it feels like it should be the focus of the plot.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I like how on the new page the whole weird psychedelic snout avatar is literally just copy-pasted and shrunk down from the first time he drew it, making it vaguely blurry.

Who wants to guess that mookie has some "meaning" behind bits of it that he'll crow about being hidden clues all along, like the orbs and angles being Acibek-Law and the swirly bits being representative of Chaos all indicating that Snout is the new avatar of Balance or whatever.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah it's pretty clearly due to it being a dream. There's enough issues with this comic that we don't need to make up new ones.

My post wasn't really serious. :v: I do think given what SubG posted, Corpsemomwife's larger size is probably meant to represent her growing negative influence in the dreamworld.

Honestly I'll admit I'm vaguely interested in it because it actually has the potential to lead to conflict and things actually happening, especially since I was sure that El Seed had cured her and the corruption or whatever wouldn't be an issue anymore. It's still only a vague interest though because I know it won't actually lead to any conflict, and everything will be solved immediately by someone else while Snout stands around and acts nice.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My money's on it being lingering aftereffects of the last time she was here.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And here's the pivot. A little behind schedule, but time for more psychedelic bullcrap!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

My post wasn't really serious. :v: I do think given what SubG posted, Corpsemomwife's larger size is probably meant to represent her growing negative influence in the dreamworld.

Let's be honest here, she's bigger because she's Snout's mommy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Honestly I'll admit I'm vaguely interested in it because it actually has the potential to lead to conflict and things actually happening, especially since I was sure that El Seed had cured her and the corruption or whatever wouldn't be an issue anymore. It's still only a vague interest though because I know it won't actually lead to any conflict, and everything will be solved immediately by someone else while Snout stands around and acts nice.

At the very least, it could leave him torn between his arbitrary curiosity with the books that he’s been reading from, and the idea that corpsemom might intrinsically be unable to safely stay in Maltak for long due to the place overflowing with her antithesis, or whatever.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Honestly I'll admit I'm vaguely interested in it because it actually has the potential to lead to conflict...
It's still only a vague interest though because I know it won't actually lead to any conflict
The best moments in Dominic Deegan are where Mookie accidentally stumbles across an interesting hook and holding that vain hope that he follows through, but settling for guessing how long it takes for him to drop all conflict like a hot potato and watching the narrative carnage as he runs screaming to the end of the arc.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If this thing is evil then we could get to something interesting; Snout ate poo poo once already and that was because he was a trusting idiot child that wasn't ready to confront violence when Redactor and her punchguy showed up. This strip he's reaching out to the vines which could backfire. It probably won't happen, mookie's conflict-aversion probably means that we'll just get to see the vines get dispelled by Snout's pure heart or some bullshit or they'll become docile or whatever but there's elements of consistent characterisation here waiting to be realised.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The "mommy" meme seems increasingly out of place since she's mainly just been consistently infantilized. Ink Witch is the mom in this comic.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I agree but Corpsemommy is a funnier name than Corpsebaby.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Zombaby?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Chapter 21: Endings and Annoyances.

This one is nice and short, and really only represents Mickey's inability to ever have his protagonists in conflict.

I think from the transition from the previous strip were supposed to understand that the Infernomancer is the one who attacked the the temple mentioned in the paper, but because of the way the archive is separated it really breaks the flow between the two strips and makes it harder to parse that.

As for the royal knights disbanding, it again raises the question of exactly how Callan functions and what role they played in its legal structure. Were they like the FBI? Or the RCMP? It's just so stupid to have this nation with all the trappings of a modern state, but called medieval words. Also goth jokes in 2007

So here again we see that the royal knights were apparently infantry and police force of the kingdom? Wouldn't that make the kingdom a sort of military junta, if the legal system as it administered directly by the military? Without a basic understanding of how Callan works, there is no way for the reader to suss out why any of these changes are good or bad. Why is a wizard army a bad idea? Given that you go to study magic in school, why not give all your troops magic powers?

Also those last four panels seem to imply that all the magic users in the royal knights got to stay around because of their magic. How is that even disbanding, then?

Mookie sure does love a having his female characters lust after male characters during every interaction.

Look at how long that torso is partly got along those arms are. Stretch Hansi.

Here's a fun preview of what's to come with the March across Maltak. Now tack is a seemingly almost flat plain of undulating dunes with mountains in the distance, always in the distance no matter where you go.

Dominic to be a huge rear end in a top hat. Nice of him to remind his girlfriend about this in front of people.

And I'll say it again but Mookie's slurs are a little too close for comfort to real ones for her to be using them as often as he is

I love how Dominic contextualizes this as being a grouch instead of being incredibly petty dick with no impulse control. Obviously Mookie thinks that Dominic is at least partially at fault here, but it's funny that Mookie's idea of Dominic behaving a little badly is literally infantile behaviour.

And of course, with Hansi coming into the protagonist circle, any of his participation in previous atrocities or previous acts of harassment and bigotry are washed away. He didn't really mean any of those things he was forced to be that way by the Knights! No introspection to be had and no sins to be forgiven, it turned out he was a good person all along

This is a stupid juvenile attitude toward sex, , I hate that Mookie thinks it's funny that the dude is like catatonic because of sex.

this is a trying to say that both sides are bad, but again it's really just Dominic being a huge dick again. Luna is giving him a mild ribbing at most and he accuses her of losing her head over her coworker leaving, after his own insanely childish outburst. The one time Lune is really expressing a genuine emotion that isn't her reframing the situation around her own inadequacy, and Dominic accuses her of being self-centred. If I didn't know better from reading the rest of this comic I would swear Dominic was gas-lighting Luna

I like how most of these questions are fairly innocuous and exactly the sort of thing that you might go see your local, confirmed real, fortuneteller. What's wrong with asking if someone likes you? What's wrong with having fun with the dude to see if he's legit? This only works as a side against the townspeople of Barthes if you think that Dominic is so important that he can't spend his time doing his god drat job.

Again, a perfectly fine reaction from Luna here because her boyfriend is a manipulative, borderline abusive jerk, and she is finally waking up to it. I mean, that's not really whats happening, but it's how you could take it. It's really clear that Mookie wants to frame it as both of them being irrational, but Dominic is clearly worse in every way! Luna's annoyance with him is the first time she seemed like a real person!

Actual drama the relationship! Maybe even the chance that Mookie would put them on a break so that their twee romance scenes would stop for a while? A glimmer of something interesting happening in this comic that wasn't just Mookie directly channeling his Id onto the page?

Luna has a mental illness brought on by years of abuse and neglect, Dominic has a fantasy ailment that doesn't actually happen in the real world, so of course Mookie equivocates them. Luna is also right that Dominic allows the visions to control his life and deliberatly feeds into them. And also if Dominic doesn't like how Lunas feelings of inadequacy manifest maybe he should stop feeding her weird codependence with him, since it's not like prior to this point he did anything to try and help her work through her issues other than telling her to rely on him. It's also funny that the last series of strips does feature Dominic being a grouchy rear end in a top hat and manipulative withholding of information, while Luna has in no way been self-deprecating or acting in her usual sadsack way, instead we're inching again a genuine emotion of loss for a relationship, while not expressing that to the coworker who is moving on to better things, which is exactly the right thing to do in that situation.

So here's how Dominic turns it all lovey-dovey again, and commits a personal "sacrifice" that in no way will actually be a hindrance moving forward. She has him tapping rocks was him talking to the rock elemental from before. Dominic gave up his leg, which is why he falls to the ground, because I guess his prosthetic leg was magical or something. I don't remember. He'll get a new one, and it will go back to not affecting his ability to move or do things at all.

Mookie loves the symbolic sacrifices that cost the character nothing in reality. It his way of evening the playing field or turning the moral calculus towards his favourites, while avoiding bumming himself out by actually making an experience real hardship.

So yes that was the purpose of this whole arc, the most twee, manic pixie dream girl, proposal acceptance ever

Not much to say about this page other than look at snout face on Dominic. Looking I realized they wouldn't be super simple to fix by just moving the mouth, because he is real problem is that he doesn't draw side profiles of faces. I mean I must've known this in the past but is really struck me when I look at this image that the tip of Dominic's nose is directly connected to his chin.

Next up; the Oracle Hunter

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2021

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Wow. "We've been fighting for weeks. Let's get married!" Yeah, that'll magically fix everything that was wrong before.

(Although given that we only saw them sleep once, it may have been a two-day fight only.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Really, Mookie?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Luna's right, Dominic not being patient with her mental/emotional problems is not remotely the same thing as what he does to her and other people all the time including literally in that very argument.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Beelzebufo posted:

So yes that was the purpose of this whole arc, the most twee, manic pixie dream girl, proposal acceptance ever

How I'm seeing this is that he didn't see any reason to not be an rear end in a top hat to Luna because he knew that her traumas and fear of rejection would lead to her instantly forgiving him and accepting the moment he proposed. This proposal is less of a celebration of love and culmination of a relationship and more of a way for him to pay off the debt he incurred by being a jerk. If he were the villain, I might even wonder if he specifically pushed his behavior to see how far he could go before reaching a future where she rejected his proposal, but I'm sure that he's enough of a hero that it couldn't possibly be the case. Right?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Beelzebufo posted:

Chapter 21: Endings and Annoyances.

I think from the transition from the previous strip were supposed to understand that the Infernomancer is the one who attacked the the temple mentioned in the paper, but because of the way the archive is separated it really breaks the flow between the two strips and makes it harder to parse that.

As for the royal knights disbanding, it again raises the question of exactly how Callan functions and what role they played in its legal structure. Were they like the FBI? Or the RCMP? It's just so stupid to have this nation with all the trappings of a modern state, but called medieval words. Also goth jokes in 2007
Ehhh, I hate going to bat for Mookie, but I don't feel like goth jokes were THAAAT out of date by 2007. Granted, it's also really weird and out of place for what's mean to be a fantasy setting, but hey. Also just not very funny.

Beelzebufo posted:

So here again we see that the royal knights were apparently infantry and police force of the kingdom? Wouldn't that make the kingdom a sort of military junta, if the legal system as it administered directly by the military? Without a basic understanding of how Callan works, there is no way for the reader to suss out why any of these changes are good or bad. Why is a wizard army a bad idea?
I mean, it's not uncommon for a fantasy setting to assume that the knights are also the legal system, since they're not just the warrior elites but also landed nobility. But since the Deeganverse is such an anachronistic and schizoid mess, yeah. It reads less like a depiction of a vaguely medieval feudal society where the warrior elites are also the government, and more like a military junta.
With an elected king.
[/quote]
Speaking of schizoid anachronisms, I forget; have alterists been mentioned yet or not? Because otherwise the comment about whether or not a woman has fake breasts in what is ostensibly a medieval fantasy setting becomes even more absurd and nakedly 'mookie does not for a second think about writing and just does and says whatever.'

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Speaking of schizoid anachronisms, I forget; have alterists been mentioned yet or not? Because otherwise the comment about whether or not a woman has fake breasts in what is ostensibly a medieval fantasy setting becomes even more absurd and nakedly 'mookie does not for a second think about writing and just does and says whatever.'

Yes, way back in the beginning when it's brought up Luna could get her tusks removed via an alterist. She refused on account of them being "creepy".

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"Hey should we be worried about a massacre that occurred recently?"

"No, I didn't get any visions about it so whatever."

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Secretly that's why the world seems to revolve around the Deegans: they just ignore any problem that isn't directly tied to them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man, he comes so close here. He's almost aware of how yeah Dominic can be a dick and he loves playing the martyr and so on... but he backs away because he isn't interested in having the character change at all.

Like honestly Dominic being cantankerous and cynical is something you could work with as a character arc, he learns that he can't just keep being hostile to the world because the world needs help and I Am Already Thinking About This More Than Mookie Did.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Everything Luna said about Dominic was 100% correct and he is a complete rear end in a top hat for attacking her mental illness, loving hell.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm completely fascinated by Reinholdt's arc, cause this is Sigfried's arc. He was the piece of poo poo knight that turned it around after realizing how flawed he and the system were. Did Mookie think he could rush Reinholdt through the same character arc and he'd fill the hole Sigfried was ripped out of? Otherwise I don't understand why you'd do an entire arc making Sigfried a lovely lil baby killer just to immediately give his story to someone else. God, Reinholdt even goes out of his way to say "Nah, I only did those things cause that was the culture, that's not who I am!" and not only is that not true but it's also Sigfried's backstory!

And you can really tell Reinholdt is supposed to be the Good Sigfried cause he gets the highest honor a Deegan ever could: The Sex Reward.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 2, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Beelzebufo posted:

You know, if it wasn’t for the fact that it’d take some actual work, this could be the basis for a “DD Minus Luna” edit series from this point on. Just erase Luna and her speech bubbles… and nothing else.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

TheHan posted:

Otherwise I don't understand why you'd do an entire arc making Sigfried a lovely lil baby killer just to immediately give his story to someone else.

I would not be surprised if Mookie's lingering fanbase was upset he continued to poo poo on Siegfried in the last arc and this is his response to it.

See, he's a racist knight that's trying to redeem himself just like Siegfried. Everything's okay!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

"Hey should we be worried about a massacre that occurred recently?"

"No, I didn't get any visions about it so whatever."
This could have been a believable flaw for a seer because it's natural for someone with a sixth sense to over rely on it and end up completely blind-sided when it fails, except I don't think Dominic ever loses any reputation when he completely fails at predicting anything.

Of course it also means Dominic looking upset when Luna walks away from his marriage proposal is unbelievable because he absolutely would have scried ahead to know her answer in advance.

TheHan posted:

Otherwise I don't understand why you'd do an entire arc making Sigfried a lovely lil baby killer just to immediately give his story to someone else.
I think Siegfried and Jayden as very early characters were based on pen and paper RPG games and probably would have been played by other people in his group, as I could see Mookie getting annoyed if the fan favourite wasn't one of his.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean, it's not uncommon for a fantasy setting to assume that the knights are also the legal system, since they're not just the warrior elites but also landed nobility. But since the Deeganverse is such an anachronistic and schizoid mess, yeah. It reads less like a depiction of a vaguely medieval feudal society where the warrior elites are also the government, and more like a military junta.
With an elected king.

Yeah, my problem is more what's implied with the whole "disbanded and replaced by battlecasters" thing. Feudal societies had some civil institutions, but a big hallmark of it being a feudal society is that power is decentralized, the trust networks and fealty oaths are what keep the system going. The knights in knightly orders were historically competing powers to the landed gentry. It just annoys me that we are supposed to understand Callan as both a medieval kingdom and a modern institutional state.

I think i would forgive this more in another comic, but Mookie does this in literally every story he writes. It's always just fantasy america with no thoughts. It's like if you were writing a period piece and a sci-fi epic from 10000 AD, and both have pizza places on the corner because you can't imagine a world that doesn't work exactly like your immediate experiences.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Cattlebasters

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Beelzebufo posted:

Yeah, my problem is more what's implied with the whole "disbanded and replaced by battlecasters" thing. Feudal societies had some civil institutions, but a big hallmark of it being a feudal society is that power is decentralized, the trust networks and fealty oaths are what keep the system going. The knights in knightly orders were historically competing powers to the landed gentry. It just annoys me that we are supposed to understand Callan as both a medieval kingdom and a modern institutional state.

I think i would forgive this more in another comic, but Mookie does this in literally every story he writes. It's always just fantasy america with no thoughts. It's like if you were writing a period piece and a sci-fi epic from 10000 AD, and both have pizza places on the corner because you can't imagine a world that doesn't work exactly like your immediate experiences.

While the criticisms of his world building in the second paragraph feel very accurate, I do think it's barking up the wrong tree to level any criticisms at this comic that are rooted in it not being close enough to real feudal or medieval life. Very little about Dominic Deegan has operated on that level for a very long time if at all. This is a setting with comic books and rock concerts. It's been semi-modern society with a veneer of magic for most of its run.

Saying "real knights don't work like that" seems kind of unfair when the comic has never tried to be anything like a historically accurate period piece, like saying a cupcake is bad because it's not a muffin. The knights are really just military using the name "knights" because it sounds like fantasy.

What IS completely fair is that his world building is so non specific that while we know they aren't like medieval knights, we know little of what they ARE supposed to be. It's generally born with a vibe of things being added as needed to allow Mookie to tell whatever story he wanted to tell at that moment rather than considering the bigger picture of the world he's created.

Like you pointed out, Dominic says an all battlecaster military is bad but it's absolutely unclear why. Magic use seems so normal in this setting... why would having your military be trained in it cause problems?

Riot Bus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 2, 2021

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Beelzebufo posted:

And of course, with Hansi coming into the protagonist circle, any of his participation in previous atrocities or previous acts of harassment and bigotry are washed away. He didn't really mean any of those things he was forced to be that way by the Knights! No introspection to be had and no sins to be forgiven, it turned out he was a good person all along

This page is also distilled mookie morality. His idea of a redemption arc is hilarious: not only was the redeemed character good to begin with, but they only ever pretended to be evil. There was never even a fall from grace! Compare this with Siegfried who was earlier shown as someone who was legitimately having a change of heart from deeply-held bigotry when he died, and is sent to hell despite that.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If you're like me you were probably hoping Mookie would re-use the drawing of Snout and Corpsemomdaughterwife, for the third time in as many pages, to announce his hiatus.

:toot:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can’t get over the fact that Snout shaves with a ruler.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

TheHan posted:

If you're like me you were probably hoping Mookie would re-use the drawing of Snout and Corpsemomdaughterwife, for the third time in as many pages, to announce his hiatus.

:toot:

I'm just going to assume this is an edit. It's too stupid even for Mookie.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mookie is really, really proud of his traced drawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Billy Gnosis posted:

I'm just going to assume this is an edit. It's too stupid even for Mookie.

No, this is exactly the amount of stupid for Mookie.