Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

radmonger posted:

The thing is, the definition of a show-runner is a writer who can write a story in which a main cast member permanently leaves or dies. As that means an actor no longer getting a pay check, it’s inherently a management position.

This is an incredibly florid way of saying a showrunner is the lead creative on a television production. That said, a show runner has bosses at both the studio and network level that have the true final say. I mean Kevin Smith is the showrunner for the new Masters of the Universe show, but it's not like he could kill He-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhh. What? A lot here doesn't track, not the least the implication that Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker or Sophie Aldred left the show of their own accord.

And then there's Eccelston, the rumours about Capaldi being disliked by higher ups at the BBC, and other bits of drama that have popped up here and there.

Taking control of a story away from the creators and into the hands of management seems like a dumb idea too, tbh, and it certainly wouldn't prevent power trippers from abusing their position.

Surely the writers and actors should have control over what happens to characters.

There is a difference between ‘this actor is asking for too much money, no one likes them, write them off the show’ versus ‘the natural progression for the story I want to tell is to have this character die’. The show-runner model is what can give you the latter.

Can you imagine a scriptwriter for, say, Friends pitching ‘in this one, Joey dies, and then at the funeral, we find out …’. Security would be removing them from the building before they finished the sentence.

Whereas the equivalent happened several times in Buffy and similar post- Buffy shows, most relevantly Torchwood. Popular characters who were played by competent, scandal free actors died for no reason other than that’s the way the story was written.

The point being is, if you are not going to fire actors for story reasons, you don’t need a show-runner setup. That doesn’t particularly mean going back to the traditional script editor position. Just that you should be organizing things in a way that makes sense for the format of the show you are making.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Re: Joss Whedon's writing, I think people hate it more for the numerous copycats and whatnot that it influenced (RTD's run on DW among them), of TV shows and movies featuring attractive young people standing around trying to be painfully witty and making stupid quips. That poo poo was prevalent throughout much of the mid-late 2000s, and it got to be very grating after a while.

Uhh. What? A lot here doesn't track, not the least the implication that Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker or Sophie Aldred left the show of their own accord.

And then there's Eccelston, the rumours about Capaldi being disliked by higher ups at the BBC, and other bits of drama that have popped up here and there.

Taking control of a story away from the creators and into the hands of management seems like a dumb idea too, tbh, and it certainly wouldn't prevent power trippers from abusing their position.

Surely the writers and actors should have control over what happens to characters.

One of Patrick Troughton's original ideas for how he could play the Doctor was to play him in blackface and wearing a turban. And there are numerous stories of writers submitting scripts to DW (both modern and classic) that were frankly unworkable, both in terms of characters and SFX and whatnot.

In regards to an ongoing TV series, it needs a balance of actors, writers, directors, producers, and script editors to keep things going smoothly. Management can sometimes be too focused on the show's continuity and budgetary concerns, but similarly writers sometimes don't have a good instinct for what works or is achievable on screen, and actors sometimes are either too inexperienced to know what their character should or shouldn't do, or are veteran enough to think they know the character inside and out and therefore nobody can tell them what to do. And in between all of that are the directors, who have a bunch of those issues all rolled up into one person. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
radmonger, with the greatest respect, what the hell are you talking about

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
If only RTD had written a massive book about what a Doctor Who showrunner entails.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chatterton! Now in pog form!

https://twitter.com/gbsheard/status/1422194130562830340

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A lot of goons really hate his shows and I don't know why.

Idk have you seen his stuff? I'm a fan of Buffy, I still like some parts of Firefly and some other stuff, but I can and always have been able to understand immediately why folks wouldn't like his style. If you've never seen Buffy, well actually you have if you've seen his other stuff because he never stopped making Buffy. Snappy teen quips & drama, applied to any scenario with a sprinkle of genre winking here, plus his signature horny90s-teenboy-pseudo-feminism sense of humour.

Very interested in these gimpsuit teletubbies:
What's the eps to check out to see what these fellas are all about?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 2, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

Idk have you seen his stuff? I'm a fan of Buffy, I still like some parts of Firefly and some other stuff, but I can and always have been able to understand immediately why folks wouldn't like his style. If you've never seen Buffy, well actually you have if you've seen his other stuff because he never stopped making Buffy. Snappy teen quips & drama, applied to any scenario with a sprinkle of genre winking here, plus his signature horny90s-teenboy-pseudo-feminism sense of humour.

Keys of Marinus, they’re called the Voord!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

The Voord mask fused with the wearer and usually could not be removed without killing them. The mask gave the Voord their telepathic abilities. Native Voord were given their masks in a ceremony when they achieved maturity. (AUDIO: Domain of the Voord)

Man, I'm pretty open to trying a lot of different lifestyles if given the opportunity, but a quinceanera where they permanently affix a mask to my face is over my personal line, even if I do also get a cool "commando-style" knife.

edit: I must be procrastinating from work because now I'm in a wiki rabbithole I know I shouldn't be in

12th goes nuts over Clara and ends up becoming a Voord stan until Voord happiness snaps him to his usual self and he's gotta fix the mess he made bein' sad.
https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Twelfth_Doctor_(Four_Doctors)

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 2, 2021

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
ohhhhhhh those are supposed to be knives

dig the flippers too

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Man, I'm pretty open to trying a lot of different lifestyles if given the opportunity, but a quinceanera where they permanently affix a mask to my face is over my personal line, even if I do also get a cool "commando-style" knife.

This information has absolutely zero to do with their very brief appearance in The Keys of Marinus

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ns_cgBZKA

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Voord were an attempt to create an alien race that would be as popular as the Daleks, and could reoccur and sell merchandise. Oddly, the audience of the 60s didn't take to 'bondage diving gear' men.

As for Showrunner - how about Lisa Bowerman? I don't know if she can write, but she's got a lot of the other required skills.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Keys of Marinus features one of my favorite 1st Doctor moments. Ian has been falsely accused of murder in an alien city where he doesn't know any of the laws, customs or procedures of a legal trial, but he must find somebody to defend him. Suddenly the Doctor appears, finally reunited after the group was separated (and so William Hartnell could have a brief break from making 50 episodes a year!) and declares that HE will defend Ian at the trial.

The Doctor ALSO has no idea what any of the laws, customs or procedures of a legal trial in this alien city are either! :allears:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Jerusalem posted:

The Keys of Marinus features one of my favorite 1st Doctor moments. Ian has been falsely accused of murder in an alien city where he doesn't know any of the laws, customs or procedures of a legal trial, but he must find somebody to defend him. Suddenly the Doctor appears, finally reunited after the group was separated (and so William Hartnell could have a brief break from making 50 episodes a year!) and declares that HE will defend Ian at the trial.

The Doctor ALSO has no idea what any of the laws, customs or procedures of a legal trial in this alien city are either! :allears:

Especially when their main rule of law is "everyone is guilty until proven innocent", which is the inversion of what most people consider to be the fundamental principle of a criminal trial (and with said principle not really being applied all that often, but let's not dwell on that :v:)

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The Keys of Marinus is also basically a model of how I'm expecting Series 13 to play out: a six-part story made up of an intro episode, a bunch of largely self-contained "find the McGuffin" episodes each in unique locations, then a concluding part to wrap it up.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Voting Floater posted:

The Keys of Marinus is also basically a model of how I'm expecting Series 13 to play out: a six-part story made up of an intro episode, a bunch of largely self-contained "find the McGuffin" episodes each in unique locations, then a concluding part to wrap it up.

Avengers Endgame but ironically there's less time travel despite being a time travel show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Praxeus was essentially that, but in one episode and boring.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Speakin' of the First Doctor

Sensorites

Keys of Marinus

Power of the Daleks

And Day of the Daleks too

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

…do you not read the previous posts?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Vinylshadow posted:

Speakin' of the First Doctor

Sensorites

Keys of Marinus

Power of the Daleks

And Day of the Daleks too

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without one of your plum puddings, Mrs. Baddely.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Oh no Day of the Daleks is my favourite configuration.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Oh you rascals made me think I'd imagined the previous viewing of this thread.

edit: Or maybe it truly was the first time and I am re-living memories from an aborted timeline oh god wha

McGann fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 2, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've never seen one before, no-one has, but I'm guessing its a white hole.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.

Timey what? Timey wimey??

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I've never seen one before, no-one has, but I'm guessing its a white hole.

....a WHITE hole!?!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

and the shepherd's boy says

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

....a WHITE hole!?!
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the Universe; a white hole returns it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

LividLiquid posted:

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the Universe; a white hole returns it.

So what is it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe we have now encountered the middle of this thread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

therefore a grey hole is just a bag of holding?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Only joking.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phil? Phil Connors?!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Personally, I think that's one hell of a bird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Anyway, Capaldi is a fuckin’ liar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That article even says it, Tennant said he wasn't keen on coming back either and then he did anyways. If Eccleston by some miracle wants to do it there's no way Capaldi would sit out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
My question is, when do we get to see the episodes that Capaldi filmed on his own for fun during lockdown, because I'm sure that's something he did.