Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
how about both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xaris posted:

I don't know the exact brand we bought, but it's basically this (and to be clear i'm not endorsing this specific link, but it looks almost exactly like what we have): https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Meal-Prep-Containers-Compartment/dp/B07JKXQFXG/ as a reference, should be a lot of various brands. the most important part is a good lid and the lids i have are not great.

i see, cheers. i was curious if you’ve got those that stack vertically, but with fixed dividers it’s definitely not going to be something id frequently get full mileage of

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazinsal posted:

if you're going to just make sweeping legislation to outlaw something in the name of environmental preservation you'd want to outlaw coal-fired power plants. you'll do a lot more than by outlawing reusable plastic takeout containers.

well, yeah, but replacing coal plants will take actual effort,

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i use take out/deli containers OP. i buy them new and re-use the ones i get from restaurants. when they get all discolored or lovely i throw them in the recycling

https://www.amazon.com/Lollicup-FP-IMDC32-PP-Karat-Containers-Height/dp/B01N3M2B5L/ref=pd_day0fbt_img_1/143-7615650-7759915

i use them for all sorts of poo poo, holding nuts and bolts or parts of stuff, ive grown plants in old ones, scoop up birdseed, etc

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i see, cheers. i was curious if you’ve got those that stack vertically, but with fixed dividers it’s definitely not going to be something id frequently get full mileage of

I use Ikea 365 glass and muffin papers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

if you're going to just make sweeping legislation to outlaw something in the name of environmental preservation you'd want to outlaw coal-fired power plants. you'll do a lot more than by outlawing reusable plastic takeout containers.

it’s a good idea to take no other steps in the meantime because gently caress all those asian and island nations with beaches choking on western plastic waste, do i get the point of this comment correctly?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it’s a good idea to take no other steps in the meantime because gently caress all those asian and island nations with beaches choking on western plastic waste, do i get the point of this comment correctly?

sounds like a good reason for legislation and ramping fines for corporations dumping plastic waste into the ocean

this is the same problem as the plastic straws ban. it's a performative feel-good "fix" that doesn't actually fix the problem and tends to be indirectly an ableist practice that negatively impacts people who need rigid containers or straws due to medical situations. I have a friend who cannot use paper or metal straws and cannot articulate his arms minutely enough to bring a glass up to his mouth -- is it okay that to let him be unable to drink things in exchange for outlawing plastic straws?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

sounds like a good reason for legislation and ramping fines for corporations dumping plastic waste into the ocean

this is the same problem as the plastic straws ban. it's a performative feel-good "fix" that doesn't actually fix the problem and tends to be indirectly an ableist practice that negatively impacts people who need rigid containers or straws due to medical situations. I have a friend who cannot use paper or metal straws and cannot articulate his arms minutely enough to bring a glass up to his mouth -- is it okay that to let him be unable to drink things in exchange for outlawing plastic straws?

not to be completely passive aggressive, but sounds like a good reason for legislation and ramping fines for corporations ostracising the disabled from from public spaces

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
not gonna post my actual suggestions for solutions so i don’t get a visit from the feds

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

not gonna post my actual suggestions for solutions so i don’t get a visit from the feds

just post from ecuador embassy in london

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

went to sleep earlier and woke up just now because i guess im thirsty or something

now ill loving never be able to get back to sleep

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hbag posted:

went to sleep earlier and woke up just now because i guess im thirsty or something

now ill loving never be able to get back to sleep

you’re not supposed to get back to sleep at 9am

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you’re not supposed to get back to sleep at 9am

yeah well you're not meant to last on 3 hours of sleep either but here we are

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

use it as a reason to go to bed at like 10:30pm or 11pm or something

even if you take an hour or two to fall asleep that's still way better than trying to do an inverted sleep schedule

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

if i try and stay up until then ill just pass out at noon like always

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hbag posted:

if i try and stay up until then ill just pass out at noon like always

this is called a nap and it’s allowed

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
simone biles is gonna perform on the balance beam :unsmith:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i’m gonna outlaw your posts.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol thanks awful app, for making me think there are fewer new post than there actually is. thawful app.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
thoughtful app

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:unsmith:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cjs: gdi it's monday

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dioxazine posted:

hard same op

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cls: waiting at doctor’s office, let’s see if this time she’ll be less than 40 minutes late

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I hate how ableism is being used as political football in this stupid plastic straw argument

taking the necessary steps to decimate the plastics industry is going to kill a whole lot more stuff than just plastic straws, and those will likely also harm the quality of life for marginalized groups as well as the petite bourgeoisie

if the plastic straw test balloon is indicative of how people will react to more sweeping changes I have little hope in legislation going over well electorally

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Would it be possible to design reusable straws so that your friend could use them?

Also, isn't there some more moderate solution to this other than requiring all restaurants to give all customers plastic straws at all times? It seems like any change is going to negatively affect a small number of people but I'm not sure we should keep using 500 million plastic straws a day because of that.

Additionally, while we should obviously do whatever we can to make stuff accessible, if we don't do anything about environmental issues because some people might be negatively affected, we are probably going to end up in a situation that will have much bigger problems for people like your friend.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 2, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

dragon enthusiast posted:

I hate how ableism is being used as political football in this stupid plastic straw argument

taking the necessary steps to decimate the plastics industry is going to kill a whole lot more stuff than just plastic straws, and those will likely also harm the quality of life for marginalized groups as well as the petite bourgeoisie

if the plastic straw test balloon is indicative of how people will react to more sweeping changes I have little hope in legislation going over well electorally

nothing short of a global dictatorship is going to save us from climate change

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/CormacMcCrthy/status/1421684072909180929

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dioxazine posted:

Took a sick day today. I'm sick of working :getin:

Going to tend to the garden, catch up on sleep, and play video games all day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

nothing short of a global dictatorship is going to save us from climate change

ill entrust Jonny to choose Her Majesty

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cls: waiting at doctor’s office, let’s see if this time she’ll be less than 40 minutes late

update: the doctor owned me by entering my field of view the second i sent this post

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plastics are extraordinarily useful materials and just saying durr we have to shut down the plastics industry is a non-solution.

Instead simply put a large deposit on every single consumer plastic object that is sold, to encourage and fund recycling. Every plastic deli container gets you 15 cents. A plastic fork is worth a nickel.

Where possible, plastic objects should be transitioned to biodegradable equivalents, of course. Stamped bamboo cutlery and paper straws, for instance.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

taxes and fees, as always, disproportionately affect people in poverty

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly plastics don't even matter because global warming is going to wipe out modern civilization first. If we survive long enough that we have to worry about all the garbage we've created then I guess we were lucky.

Microplastics are killing lots of animals but they're all going to go extinct anyway.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The biggest issue is probably bags and those all have easy enough solutions

Delaware banned plastic bags and all the stores didn't really know how to cope. especially the wawas

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lament.cfg posted:

taxes and fees, as always, disproportionately affect people in poverty

im hopeful eu might be on a useful track for that. the recent series of proposed climate safeguarding reforms essentially include reparations for the poorer people, who will be hit the hardest by rising fuel costs and such. something like that combined with progressive taxes on individuals and companies alike has a potential to mitigate at least some of the negative impact

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag posted:

yeah well you're not meant to last on 3 hours of sleep either but here we are

You are choosing to do this to yourself.

In general it takes about three weeks to make or break a simple habit like your bedtime. If you start getting in bed at 11pm, turning off the lights, putting away your phone and just lying there doing nothing, you will start falling asleep at that time. No it will not happen the first day instantly. You will probably have to spend at least a week lying there bored in the dark for 4 hours until your brain gives up, and then things will start to reset. But if you wuss out and start playing with your phone you have ruined it and will have to start the whole process again the next night.

You have the power to change this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

The biggest issue is probably bags and those all have easy enough solutions

Delaware banned plastic bags and all the stores didn't really know how to cope. especially the wawas

we’re increasing plastic bag prices everyone now and then. they’ll soon cost the same as reusable cloth bags sold at shops. on the other hand, im from the idiot country that still cannot recover the lost technology of the ancients, bottle recycling. we used to have that perfectly functional in ussr, but it got dismantled in the neolib 90s

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sagebrush posted:

You are choosing to do this to yourself.

In general it takes about three weeks to make or break a simple habit like your bedtime. If you start getting in bed at 11pm, turning off the lights, putting away your phone and just lying there doing nothing, you will start falling asleep at that time. No it will not happen the first day instantly. You will probably have to spend at least a week lying there bored in the dark for 4 hours until your brain gives up, and then things will start to reset. But if you wuss out and start playing with your phone you have ruined it and will have to start the whole process again the next night.

You have the power to change this.

:jerkbag:

How about suggesting solutions that don't involve "it's always your fault if it doesn't work".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

endlessmonotony posted:

:jerkbag:

How about suggesting solutions that don't involve "it's always your fault if it doesn't work".

because that doesn't involve looking smart online