Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

So they ain't gonna do poo poo about the mass eviction on the way.

:bick:

To distract from the nightmare about to unfold, time to :justpost: about the upcoming electoral carnage :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

there's no difference between the "two" political parties and nobody in power gives a poo poo if the democrats technically control congress

:gas:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

who cares

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

dems bad

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the dems are trying to lose the midterms, we've known this for the past year

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why would anyone ever vote democrat

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why would anyone ever vote democrat

Good question

We can all laugh at the results of folks coming to the correct conclusion!

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
Some reminders about the details of glorious achievement that is the dem's relief bill, since they'll be campaigning on that since it is one of the few things they have worth talking about. It would have temporarily brought half the families who make under ~26k-ish with children above that arbitrary number if the bill had also included the 15 minimum wage provision and if we assume everyone in the country has time and ability to navigate all federal forms and processes correctly and makes optimal choices while doing so.

(for a fun time, compare the poverty level calculations to https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/minimum-wage-workers-cannot-afford-rent-in-any-us-state.html btw)

from https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22543868/biden-child-tax-credit-july-15-monthly-payment

quote:

But others won’t receive the benefit automatically even though they’re eligible because they haven’t filed their taxes. A big challenge for proponents of this expanded benefit is making sure people who are eligible actually receive it. Compounding the challenge is that the population in greatest danger of not getting the benefit is also the one that happens to need it most.

Such obstacles are not uncommon in our notoriously kludgey welfare system: Even a long-established benefit like the earned income tax credit (EITC) — a refundable credit for which many low-income families are eligible — has a filing process that is sufficiently complicated that about a fifth of households eligible for that benefit don’t file to receive it.

The most important recipients of the expanded CTC from an anti-poverty perspective are extremely poor recipients who have literally $0 in taxable income. These potential CTC beneficiaries receive no benefit from the EITC because it’s reserved for families with “earned income.” Without any taxes to owe, or EITC to receive, these poor households generally don’t file their taxes and won’t get the CTC automatically.

Before this year, this population was also excluded from the child tax credit, which previously had an income floor of $3,000, with anyone below that entirely excluded (and those right above that threshold receiving a reduced credit).

Some people in this population filed to receive stimulus payments, which last year were available, for the first time in American history, to people with $0 in income — meaning they’re now slated to also automatically get the expanded CTC. But others did not. IRS data suggests that at least 2.3 million children in the US fall into this category. But that’s likely an undercount. “We know that number ... excludes some children,” Kris Cox, deputy director for federal tax policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP), told me.

When biden brags about the CTC he says that 5mil children are lifted out of poverty, but almost half of them probably will not get it apparently and that's an undercount. Whoopsie. I'm sure the dems will hold him accountable for that though.

quote:

Under current law — that is, once the one-year expansion from the Biden stimulus elapses — the CTC will go back down to $2,000 per child, and stop being available to the poorest households in 2022. Parents will get the remainder of their 2021 credit when they file taxes, but monthly payments will cease in January 2022

I'm sure that people who stop getting money in January that Biden promised them will praise Biden appropriately when/if they survive to get money from a tax return in April and reward the dems in the midterms.

quote:

There are only six months until monthly payments of the credit cease, and Congress has a busy docket in the meantime. If it wants to avoid a completely preventable spike in child poverty — because that is what is in store once this expanded benefit expires — it has to act quickly to extend the credit.

And I'm sure they'll handle this differently than the eviction moratorium; like all those dem freaks with a kink for austerity will probably get on board with fixing this soon, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dems bad but we've seen evidence that chuds are less likely to vote when Trump is absent from the ballot. Probably looking at a pretty low overall turnout in 2022 unless something big happens.

It might actually be a good time for the "moderate GOP" to try and claw their way back into relevancy.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

i don't vote

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
none of this poo poo matters.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

there's no difference between the "two" political parties and nobody in power gives a poo poo if the democrats technically control congress

:gas:

PredictIt cares

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
kids in cages plastic tarps so what.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Let's all go republican and restore the compassionate conservative wing!

You could probably replace marx with "god" and do some fun poo poo.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

get trump back, at least that was funny

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My prediction is that we live in the hell timeline, where the worst possible things happen, so the democrats will see a blue wave in 2022 that cements control over both chambers beyond a shadow of a doubt and then does absolutely nothing with that power for the next six years

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

C-Euro posted:

It might actually be a good time for the "moderate GOP" to try and claw their way back into relevancy.

The "moderate GOP" are in power right now though, they are more relevant than ever

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Biden's margin was:

Arizona by 10.4k votes
Georgia by 11.7k votes
Wisconsin by 20.6k votes
Nebraska's 2nd district by 22.0k votes

That's a total of a 64.7k margin to shift the election the other way

If we swap out Nebraska 2nd for the next whole state, that's Nevada by 33.5k votes, shifting the total margin to 76.2k votes for AZ, GA, WI, and NV combined

The mid-terms are going to be hilarious

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the oft predicted death of the republicans is going to actually happen but the result is 15 years of rule by the most right wing dems u got

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
the dems somehow managed to be even less effective than I’d expected so that’s probably a strike against them but at the same time the American electorate is about as politically conscious as a dead jellyfish so who knows, they might even pull it off

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Keep in mind status quo carrying over from 2020 now loses them the house purely due to redistricting and I don't see them doing better than 2020

Maybe they can hold the senate but the dems are masters at blowing those pickup opportunities

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

2024 is going to be the best election in human history because it's going to involve both parties doing whatever they can to not win

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

oscarthewilde posted:

the dems somehow managed to be even less effective than I’d expected so that’s probably a strike against them but at the same time the American electorate is about as politically conscious as a dead jellyfish so who knows, they might even pull it off

lol

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

i'll put on some election coverage stream and eat popcorn and drink and lol but other than that i don't give. ashit

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

VOTE!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
my prediction is literal bloodbath since everyone who can read the news sees the writing on the wall at this point

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
ammunition shelves have been bare according to the news for 20 years

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
The left wing forum midterm US elections MEGATHREAD update:

It looks like Quincy Kane is down in the KS-2 polls by 3 points, according to the poll trackers online. Let's get out there and show those chuds who's boss. Good news though that Margarita Sullivan is looking strong in her Delaware state house primary campaign although initial polling is yet to be released. Woo hoo!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ohrwurm posted:

i'll put on some election coverage stream and eat popcorn and drink and lol but other than that i don't give. ashit

gently caress watching the stream, i'll just read about it on here

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

jesus f christ don't you americans ever stop having election season

this is grotesque

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
however badly they lose, anything short of whig-level irrelevancy ain't loving enough.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so your democrats or your republicans are getting bloodbath-ed

I would say per historical trend that is going to be democrats, republicans at least want to win

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VOTE!!!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

The left wing forum midterm US elections MEGATHREAD update:

It looks like Quincy Kane is down in the KS-2 polls by 3 points, according to the poll trackers online. Let's get out there and show those chuds who's boss. Good news though that Margarita Sullivan is looking strong in her Delaware state house primary campaign although initial polling is yet to be released. Woo hoo!

jesus christ with this poo poo
get a hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

CODChimera posted:

gently caress watching the stream, i'll just read about it on here

and miss this?