Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm also wondering what 2018-2019 model year convertible is a collectors items that is rapidly going up in value from the purchase price.

My local VW dealer has a used 2019 Beetle convertible for $35k. Original sale price was like $28k I think?
Even if the used market is hosed right now, just who would buy that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Brain Curry posted:

About 80$ for a home practice basket, and 300$-400$ for permanent baskets for the course, at least last time I bought one. Disc golf was originally played with objects or tone poles, and people still set up renegade object courses at local parks (e.g. tee from bench by fountain, target is lamp post by entrance sign) which are basically free, but not as satisfying personally.

NTAE - Not The rear end in a top hat Enough

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Lots of people apparently think that living in Downtown Denver is a deathtrap unless you are driving a 4WD all-terrain vehicle with chained tires.

I'm also wondering what 2018-2019 model year convertible is a collectors items that is rapidly going up in value from the purchase price.

Admittedly, a RWD convertible is a bad idea as a primary car in Denver. But it's doable if you live close enough to walk to work and what you need, or are willing to use public transport.

We plow the main roads and highways well enough to get by with a front wheel drive vehicle with ABS. Getting out of your suburban neighborhood might be a bitch when things get really bad, but that's why we love our Subaru's.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Baxate posted:

My local VW dealer has a used 2019 Beetle convertible for $35k. Original sale price was like $28k I think?
Even if the used market is hosed right now, just who would buy that?

if you want a manual transmission Jetta or Golf now's the time to buy. Even in a pandemic-related global shortage the VW dealers around me can't give those away.

The market for lightly used anything is going to be great in a couple years when everyone trades in the car they bought because it was the only one on the lot for the car they really wanted.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I hate it when cartalk and the BWM thread come uncomfortably close.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This thread is making me think it's the ideal time to sell my 16 year old Honda and go carless.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

blackmet posted:

Admittedly, a RWD convertible is a bad idea as a primary car in Denver. But it's doable if you live close enough to walk to work and what you need, or are willing to use public transport.

We plow the main roads and highways well enough to get by with a front wheel drive vehicle with ABS. Getting out of your suburban neighborhood might be a bitch when things get really bad, but that's why we love our Subaru's.

Honestly most front wheel drive sedans are fine in the snow. I mean, they're not great, but in places that know how to salt/sand/plow snowy roads you don't NEED a Jeep or some other off road car, you just need something good enough with some snow tires on it.

but lol at trying to drive a RWD convertible in a snowy area. That's just asking for trouble... even if you can maintain traction, it's probably super low to the ground and will bottom out.

This is why people in snowy areas have a single all-year car (i.e. a Subaru), or they pair their fancy-pants summer car with a cheap beater.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Adding crypto to your 401(k) plan is easier than ever with the new Alt401(k)!

quote:

It's simple math

Less money for uncle sam = more money for you

There’s a world of opportunity out there, and the wealthiest investors and funds are increasingly using alternative assets to diversify their portfolios.

For too long, retirement plans have been left behind. We’re here to change that.

It hasn't been possible...until now.

quote:

Do you think it's a problem that your 401(k) plan doesn't let you invest in crypto just because "that's the way it has always been done"? Do you wish you didn't have to choose between making money and doing the right thing?

quote:

You can't be on the cutting edge and play it safe.

quote:

While we can’t promise we’ll make you money, we can promise we’ll do everything in our power to help you and your team grow your wealth.

quote:

Our job is to help you make money... literally

quote:

WE WILL WORK WITH (ALMOST) EVERYBODY

quote:

We may be finance experts and techies but we’re motivated by the people we serve. Curious to learn more? Let’s jump on a quick call, or Zoom meeting (if you’re not too tired of those yet).

quote:

We offer military grade encryption.

quote:

We lead the industry with our services and our pricing. In fact, if you have a plan, we can probably cut your fees so much you’ll save money just by hiring us.

NEW PLAN PRICING

$120 Base fee
+ $6 Per Participant
+ 0.50% Assets under management (Annually)

quote:

Retirement is inevitable. It’s like your childhood, but without your parents.

quote:

This material has been prepared for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide, and should not be relied upon for, investment, legal or tax advice.

Fee estimates produced with our pricing calculator are intended as ballpark estimates.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Past performance = IRONCLAD GUARANTEE OF FUTURE RESULTS

drat, why didn't I think of that? Just buy Bitcoin cheap, and keep it in my portfolio as its price increases!

Edit: You might as well have an infographic that says, "If you bought $5,000 worth of Bitcoin in April 2011, when Bitcoin was $1, and sold it April 13, 2021 at $63,588, your investment would be worth $317,940,000!" That is also information that's true, but only useful to people with time machines.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 2, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No i will not ask my employer, they may fire me for being an idiot

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The only difference between those 2 account values is the assumed 35% tax avoidance on the 401k. That graphic doesn't advocate for their service, just tax advantaged accounts in general.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

This thread is making me think it's the ideal time to sell my 16 year old Honda and go carless.

My husband recently sold his 2013 civic SI manual trans to CarMax and got a little over $9k for it, so maybe!

I got $14k from them for a 2016 Mazda 3 manual with $6k (retail price to fix) body damage. We paid $18.5k for it new.

Used cars are completely insane right now. If you can go carless, now's a great time to do it.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Sokani posted:

The only difference between those 2 account values is the assumed 35% tax avoidance on the 401k. That graphic doesn't advocate for their service, just tax advantaged accounts in general.

Oh, I see. I thought it was comparing regular 401ks and their 401ks. Fair enough.

Their boast of "military-grade encyption" is still silly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

quote:

NEW PLAN PRICING

$120 Base fee :buddy:
+ $6 Per Participant :buddy:
+ 0.50% Assets under management (Annually) :wtc:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

William Bear posted:

Oh, I see. I thought it was comparing regular 401ks and their 401ks. Fair enough.

Their boast of "military-grade encyption" is still silly.

Civilians think military grade means highest performance beyond top of the line equipment. Anyone whose worked in or around military knows it means lowest bidder piece of poo poo.

I thought the market standard was +.69% for Capital Under Management?

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

[

quote:

Do you wish you didn't have to choose between making money and doing the right thing?

Man, every day I flip a coin to decide if I want to rob a bank or start doing some white collar crimes or just go to my boring job because it's the right thing. Finally someone's really making me think.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well this graph is over a very convenient amount of time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

Civilians think military grade means highest performance beyond top of the line equipment. Anyone whose worked in or around military knows it means lowest bidder piece of poo poo.

As far as encryption standards go, companies that advertise this are overwhelmingly talking about old rear end FIPS standards. So by that measure you are literally using military-grade encryption RIGHT NOW to read this post (see that little lock symbol before the URL? Yes, I checked and the cert cloudflare is using meets that definition). Once you know that it's really not very impressive at all.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Motronic posted:

As far as encryption standards go, companies that advertise this are overwhelmingly talking about old rear end FIPS standards. So by that measure you are literally using military-grade encryption RIGHT NOW to read this post (see that little lock symbol before the URL? Yes, I checked and the cert cloudflare is using meets that definition). Once you know that it's really not very impressive at all.

My posting is classified as weapons-grade for an entirely different reason.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Karia posted:

My posting is classified as weapons-grade for an entirely different reason.

In that it's a war crime to expose civilians to it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/owd315/aita_for_telling_my_surrogate_to_stop_acting_like/

Oh no. Nonononono. Nooooooo. Nononononono!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Like that scene in 2001, except instead of stars, it's red flags.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

almost as good as GM's SUBMARINE GRADE STEEL ads

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Edit: No, we did not have a legal contract because my friend said there was no need for us to do that and basically talked us out of it since we are considered family but we had an agreement including paying her.
:cripes:

OP is going to have some very interesting times once the baby is born and Brittany refuses to surrender the kid for adoption to them. (And this is the best case scenario where there's not also an affair going on between her and OP's husband)

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

William Bear posted:

Past performance = IRONCLAD GUARANTEE OF FUTURE RESULTS

drat, why didn't I think of that? Just buy Bitcoin cheap, and keep it in my portfolio as its price increases!

Edit: You might as well have an infographic that says, "If you bought $5,000 worth of Bitcoin in April 2011, when Bitcoin was $1, and sold it April 13, 2021 at $63,588, your investment would be worth $317,940,000!" That is also information that's true, but only useful to people with time machines.

** only useful for people with time machines willing to get off the ride AND find an exchange with the liquidity willing to cash you out.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Haifisch posted:

:cripes:

OP is going to have some very interesting times once the baby is born and Brittany refuses to surrender the kid for adoption to them. (And this is the best case scenario where there's not also an affair going on between her and OP's husband)

Secret affair I think was the most popular theory in the r/relationships thread. It's the perfect cheat because how can you prove it, a paternity test?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

I was a tiny bit willing to believe this was real until the edit saying that the surrogate previously had a 4 year old who died. Just too perfect of a setup for why she would be especially attached to the fetus.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Male Tears posted:

I was a tiny bit willing to believe this was real until the edit saying that the surrogate previously had a 4 year old who died. Just too perfect of a setup for why she would be especially attached to the fetus.

Well, that and the umbilical cord.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
IVF and surrogacy is surrounded in so much bureaucracy to prevent exactly these kinds of situations, even to use our own genetic material my husband and I had to sign a serious number of legally binding forms for IVF alone. I can't think for a second that is any more than a creative writing exercise.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Before you read this, try to guess how much he blew with 8 months of contributions being cashed out from his 401(k).

quote:

I made a stupid financial move and my 401k was cashed out, how heavily will I be taxed?

I'm in my mid-twenties, and worked at a financial institution for about 8 months. I'd previously only worked jobs with no benefits, and had no idea that companies could auto-enroll you in their 401k plan without your express consent. I waited too long to rollover the plan after leaving, and Im wondering how heavily I'll be taxed on this at tax time (in addition to the 28% that was already taken out)?

Now I realize that my old company probably sent some kind of letter or email that I missed about this, but I again just did not think it was possible to have deductions automatically taken away from my paycheck. While I can forgive myself a little for that part, I should have been reviewing my paychecks more closely.

The company was horrible to work with, my boss was abusive, and I was going through a lot at the time. I was told I had about $ 500 in contributions sitting in my 401k when I quit the job, and I needed to roll it over. I was in a bad place, and waited too long to roll the money over to a new account.

I called up and was told the company holding my contributions had cashed a check to me, taking a mandatory 20% out, and then 8% for state taxes. I was left with about $ 360 being sent to me. How much more will I have to pay from this when I report it on my taxes this year?

quote:

The withdraw will be counted as income, so you will pay income taxes on it, and an additional 10% penalty, so $ 50 in this case.

quote:

Auto signed up for 401K I didn’t want

I just started a new job a few months ago, and I filled out all my benefits info for insurance or whatnot through their HR app, which is actually pretty nice. It did NOT mention 401K or that it just AUTO ENROLLS you if you don’t tell the HR department specifically that you don’t want the service. I’ve never had a job do that before so I assumed if I did nothing I wouldn’t get it. For those of you who wonder why I don’t want to invest in this 401K, I have a better investment option then they are offering, and I want to maximize the input into that.

So I realized 3 paychecks in, that my deductions went from 21% to almost 30% suddenly. I looked and realized that they had started withdrawing a nice chunk of my paycheck. I called and asked my HR department, and they said I had to go on Prudential’s website and create and account. I did this, and I found no way on there to cancel, so I called Prudential. They told me they could not cancel my account but they could drop the withdrawals to 0%. Then they told me it will still come out of my NEXT THREE PAYCHECKS before it gets changed. In 2020 we can’t get those things changed overnight with a computer? We have to wait 3 weeks???

Ok. At that point $500 of my money will be in the account. They have told me there is NO WAY to withdrawal the money until I quit my job or reach 59 and a half. Is this true? Can’t I force a withdrawal at a penalty? I can’t believe they are going to hold $500 hostage until I retire or quit. I can’t believe I didn’t have to sign anything for them to take my money!! Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.

quote:

quote:

I need it so I can invest it in my current retirement plan that beats the socks off their 5% stock matching garbage. It’s not a very good deal compared to what I’ve been investing in over the past 25 years. I want to maximize that investment. All they money I will withdrawal will be immediately put into that.

You realize that a 5% match is a 100% return immediately, right? I’m sure you’ve got some magic going that’s returning great returns, but not 100% returns.

25 years of investing and you’re this angry about a few hundred dollars because you think you’re that much better?

quote:

Oh. Ok. They told me on the phone I was unable to withdraw at all. So that’s not possible for them to do that? I figured to would be illegal to hold my money completely.

He has been "investing" for 25 years, but doesn't realize the difference between a 5% match (100% returns) and a 5% return.

What has he been investing in for 25 years that has a greater than 100% return every year?

Apple products - not Apple stock, but actual Apple PCs that he fixes and resells and Guns.

Also, 401(k)s are an illegal seizure of property.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 3, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lol i guessed $1000 not too bad

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol i guessed $1000 not too bad

Technically, he only actually lost $50 (plus whatever his tax rate is). I don't know how you sit on that for nearly a year and then freak out.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

almost as good as GM's SUBMARINE GRADE STEEL ads

I love when they talk about "aerospace grade aluminum"

6061 T6 is indeed used in airplanes and was originally developed for aerospace, but it's the most common and cheapest alloy of aluminum because it's useful and easy to use for drat near anything so they just crank out gigatons of the stuff

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

AITA for telling my fiancé I want a prenup?

My fiancé(36M) and I(34F) agreed on a prenup earlier into our relationship. We started the process after we got engaged and as part of it we declared our assets etc. I have a 600k house that I paid off. I bought for 250k 9 years ago and he knows about the house but he didn’t know how much it is worth until I declared it as part of the legal process. I didn’t know it was worth so much until an evaluation was done on the house for our prenup agreement.

He has a 270k apartment he is trying to protect via this prenup and once he found out about the 600k house he wanted cancel the prenup process because he said he should have been made aware of the value of the house prior to agreeing to a prenup. I don’t think the value matter because we agreed to keep finances and assets separate plus he has his own apartment so it’s not like the prenup is unfairly protecting one party and not the other. I told him I still want the prenup and won’t be planning the wedding until we finish signing and he is angry because he feels like the value of the house should have been on the table prior to him agreeing to sign.

"Screenplay by M. Night Shyamalan."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lots of details in this one, but you only need the title and last sentence:

quote:

I'm 20 and I have spent 43 grand+ this year alone. How do I learn to manage my money better.

quote:

I've deleted uber and uber eats so far. Has anyone else been in a similar position and know where to start?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

"Screenplay by M. Night Shyamalan."

It’s the marriage that makes you old

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

quote:

He has a 270k apartment

What does this mean? Is he a landlord, is this a condo and not an apartment, does he rent an apartment for 270k/yr?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Some regions refer to a flat condo in a mid/high-rise building as an "apartment", because they are Terrible People.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jjack229 posted:

What does this mean? Is he a landlord, is this a condo and not an apartment, does he rent an apartment for 270k/yr?

Most likely it's a condo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
A condo is an apartment. It's a bourbon:whiskey relationship.