Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
If you, like me, enjoy the fine podcast known as Trueanon, you've heard about nOlympics LA, an organization dedicated to the abolishment of the Olympics.

Why get rid of the Big Sports? Because the system causes:

- mass homelessness
- gentrification
- massive government handouts to corporations
- hosed up transit systems and/or more cars
- nationalism
- pointless, expensive, environmentally devastating construction
- other bad things

Anyway this thread is to discuss the Olympics from a c-spam perspective, praise our Chinese comrades, and shitpost.

Links/Resources:
https://nolympicsla.com/

https://nolympicsla.com/faq/

Direct link to first Trueanon episode:
https://c10.patreonusercontent.com/...B-q7F-hM738M%3D

Direct link to second Trueanon episode:
https://c10.patreonusercontent.com/...-KYo-bLBzqCI%3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

no

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lympics

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah the olympics suck but asking me to care about los angeles might be a bridge too far

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
If there's anywhere the Olympics should be it's Los Angeles and people here are either generally in favor of it or apathetic.

And not building anything means we get to sink a bunch of money that would otherwise have gone to stadium construction into things like accelerated public transit projects.

I don't buy the argument either that private companies building hotels would build affordable housing instead if it wasn't for the Olympics. How does that make any sense?

There's a good argument to be made for not hosting the Olympics but it doesn't really apply to LA in the same way it does to a city without our existing sports infrastructure.

Plus it's not like we could treat our homeless population any worse than we do now (monkey's paw curls).

Also traffic was surprisingly light during the '84 games because people were terrified it would be awful, just like when Carmeggedon happened a few years ago.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i like the nba so no thanks dont know about getting rid of big sports

Zisky
May 6, 2003

LA84 still funds a ton of youth sports programs across the county.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

im not a patreon

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the olympics are dumb and should be ended

i was trying to watch nhk world last night and they tried so hard to do five minutes of olympics news but every time it cut to a clip of an actual event they muted the sound and had a `This video not available due to copyright issues` placeholder image up.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The No Joe-lympics

featuring Joe-sting,

Ar-Joe-ry,

Beach Joe-lyball,

Joe-do,

Joe-nastics,

Taekwand-Joe,

and Water Po-Joe

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Yeah the olympics suck but asking me to care about los angeles might be a bridge too far

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the only good thing to possibly come out of an LA olympics might be a couple more rail lines.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I would say the only good thing to possibly come out of an LA olympics might be a couple more rail lines.

That's not exactly small potatoes.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

LastInLine posted:

first they put LA against the wall
and I said lol that owns

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zisky posted:

That's not exactly small potatoes.

It wouldn’t be bad but honestly I would say LA is pretty much hopeless as far as transit goes even if at least they is at least some type of system now. Post war sprawl is extremely difficult to fix.

Honestly, the olympics if anything seems to be a play to get a little more leverage from the feds for more cash.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

having moved back to the boston area im so goddamned happy the bid was withdrawn. gently caress outta here and gently caress off forever, ioc. and fifa

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I'm watching the games and enjoying them, and I'm glad the stands are empty and everybody is just watching at home. None of the champions are any less emotional or any less driven to win due to not having a crowd. That's several tens of thousands of wasteful luxury jet rides that never happened, road and mass transit overcrowding that never happened, and rude drunk tourists that never showed up. They should do it this way forever IMO (they won't)

Also while I'm asking for ponies, the games should only be awarded to very large cities that already have the appropriate facilities (yes that includes LA, just be glad you're not Brisbane lol). Of course crooked construction kickbacks are a big part of the process, but good things happening without venal wastefulness is fun to fantasize about

1982 Subaru Brat has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Aug 3, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In the future cities will make human sacrifices in order to win the privilege of hosting the Olympics. In the 2044 Olympics Miami will win the privilege by creating a 100ft tall pyramid of humans and lighting it on fire. Similarly, the torch relay tradition will change such that the torchbearers light themselves on fire and use the burning bodies of their predecessor to light their own torch.

Further into the future, partially inspired by the consequences of climate change, the sports element will be removed entirely and the Olympics will simply be an event consisting of mass sacrificial immolation. As far as the public is aware, the Olympics have always been an event intended to appease the Sun God who has been warming up the planet and evaporating the oceans.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

can't wait for the la olympics to be cancelled due to wildfires

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

also lol that everyone is seeing through how awful the olympics are. Only 1 country bid for 2032

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Peanut President posted:

also lol that everyone is seeing through how awful the olympics are. Only 1 country bid for 2032

lmao

the last olympics i actually liked or watched was Athens event, but that was also absolutely disasterous for the city (as they usually are). that should have been the last one

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i was trying to watch nhk world last night and they tried so hard to do five minutes of olympics news but every time it cut to a clip of an actual event they muted the sound and had a `This video not available due to copyright issues` placeholder image up.

what the gently caress lmao

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Olympics is fine background noise. Enjoyed the freestyle bmx, that was fun. And the skateboarding. Even the archery final I saw was pretty fun, for all of 5 minutes I watched for.

Just bin the horse dancing & make sure it's never hosted in a country I pay tax in because it's an outrageous grift from the IOC & the Olympics can stay. Fun distraction.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I've never watched the Olympics, but I'm against em

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I want china to wi n for once, need a good commmie sport menace again

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

nice

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the olympics should just be in the same place every time or at the very most rotate between 3/4 different sites

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

first they put LA against the wall
and I said lol that owns

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the olympics should just be in the same place every time or at the very most rotate between 3/4 different sites

the sovereignty of the Vatican and Olympus (the country that hosts the Olympics) must be observed

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
every single athlete from every competitive country is doped to the gills, russia just got caught and the IOC had to make a big show of banning them even though they are well aware that the US, China, et al. have equally or surpassingly complex doping programs

not just the world record smashers like Bolt (who could not more obviously be doped (https://tomnew.medium.com/usain-bolt-lance-armstrong-and-the-duck-test-303b7b891e7e) but every athlete whos risen through the viper pit of top-level national competitive sports to get to the olympics is crammed full of stealthy PEDs, but genetic miracles like bolt and phelps are still just naturally that much better, PLUS they have the best doping programs in history available to them

seeing people come up with reasons why that norwegian hurdles man obliterated the WR has been funny. best iv'e seen is that Shoe technology has really come a long way in the last 4 years lol

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
When I was a kid I wanted to be just like those Olympic athletes then many years later I banged a chick who lived in the former Olympic village in Seoul so dreams do come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Wrong