Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's riff is Universal Soldier... 2.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Something worse than roller gator? I assume it’s some sort of Full length snuff film?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Something worse than roller gator? I assume it’s some sort of Full length snuff film?

Baby Ghost is the sequel to A Serbian Film.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

This week's riff is Universal Soldier... 2.

Is it a JTJ?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nope, because this was a weird direct to cable sequel made by The Movie Channel.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Finally got around to watching LIghtblast last night -- lots of laffs, but actually shouted and went YES! during the meal-time scene when Erik Estrada asked his wife/partner what was in the main dish... 'Oh, lots of things...'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The extended look at Universal Soldier 2 on the Patreon was :discourse:. Even a wild Gary Busey sighting!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Latest full riff release is The Bermuda Triangle starring John Huston and Miguel Fuentes (aka Vadinho from Pumaman)

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Dawgstar posted:

There was an odd trend to suddenly go after Goodman. It was like the poor comedian's break in case of glass. Which doesn't excuse it, mind you, because it sucks and we know the guys can do a lot better.

They also mention Louie Anderson blowing up a port a potty in the commentary for Thor. Again, delivered by Kevin. I've also noticed Bill make at least 2 separate crop-dusting jokes.

Ms Boods posted:

Finally got around to watching LIghtblast last night -- lots of laffs, but actually shouted and went YES! during the meal-time scene when Erik Estrada asked his wife/partner what was in the main dish... 'Oh, lots of things...'

The melting effects are slightly disturbing to me in this movie, and the chase scene featuring a van with a giant tree upon it 'concealing' a cameraman is hilarious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AvesPKS posted:

They also mention Louie Anderson blowing up a port a potty in the commentary for Thor. Again, delivered by Kevin. I've also noticed Bill make at least 2 separate crop-dusting jokes.

I wonder if Kevin thinks it's okay because he readily describes himself as "a fattie" and certainly makes fun of himself.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

wait, is there something problematic about crop-dusting jokes or do you just think it's lazy?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Breadallelogram posted:

wait, is there something problematic about crop-dusting jokes or do you just think it's lazy?

No judgement at all really I just find it funny when the same riffer repeats the same type of joke in different riffs, but I must've watched Missile X like 20 times at this point (which features one of said crop dusting jokes) and thinking back it's probably just overrepresented in my mind.

I thought Kevin didn't write? I could be wrong on that. But I've always wondered if they 'fight' over good lines and such, or how they decide that.

But they've definitely toned down or eliminated their invective in certain areas from where they were say 10 years ago.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
IIRC Bill has said that they've become aware over the years about how some of their more poorly-chosen jokes came off (the transphobic stuff in particular), and have been making a conscious effort to do better. Being a suburban Midwesterner of a certain generation can make one insulated from the consequences of their more thoughtless gags, unaware that they're hurting real people -- fans, even -- and it's to their credit that they're abashed and trying to do better than cheap gags at innocent people's expense.

Patton Oswalt, someone closely aligned with them, has had a similar journey, I think. Quite a bit of his early poo poo is cruel in retrospect, and I'm sure he's embarrassed by it too, but he's also trying to do better. Plus he's always developing new material (almost never tours without an entirely new set) and that pushes you away from old comfort zones and lazy jokes. Unless you want to be some sad balding masturbating pervert coasting on an overrated movie and insisting that the same "she-male" jokes you told in 1986 still kill, it's just those drat PC kids getting in the way.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been watching the watch-alongs MST3K did of old episodes as part of their latest kickstarter and its funny watching the newer ( and older ) cast revisit shows from 25 years ago. Every 15 mins or so there's a dated offensive line that comes out and they all cringe or make fun of it. Including Bill watching himself riff Werewolf and yelling at his younger self a few times.

They're pretty fun. Baron Vaughn gets some pretty good but friendly digs at Frank and Trace doing voodoo skits during Zombie Nightmare.

These are all on the MST3K youtube channel right now, I don't know for how long.

e: Also worth watching for Joel doing commentary on Werewolf and Delta Knights, neither of which he'd seen before. It's adorable hearing Joel react "oh wow what a great line" or "this is a good episode guys!"

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 28, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I couldn’t watch people riffing on riffing. Just felt like too much

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kwmurphy/status/1421190237288636418

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some godforsaken reason the movie has the world's fakiest computer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OK, so I'm a bit annoyed at the cuts to this one because they removed one of the greatest conversations in the history of bad movies:

quote:

Hero: Professor, how long you have been loving fish?
Scientist: They were old enough!
Hero: I want to help you. I understand these things happen.

It's like releasing a riff of Citizen Kane and cutting "Rosebud".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Why not cut it out and upload to YouTube yourself? Something this short will probably not get taken down.

Also remember that Rifftrax only get the rights to one specific cut of the film, not all of the different versior. Maybe this was a stupid tv cut.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 31, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Another Bill posted:

e: Also worth watching for Joel doing commentary on Werewolf and Delta Knights, neither of which he'd seen before. It's adorable hearing Joel react "oh wow what a great line" or "this is a good episode guys!"

One of my favorites was during the "Hobgoblins" watch-a-long, and Joel laughs at a riff, and says "Oh, that's definitely a Mike joke!"

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
The Director of Plankton/Creatures from the Abyss, Alvaro Passeri, has the full, non-Riftrax movie on his YouTube: youtube.com/watch?v=DM4cseI6rVE (Won't embed since :nws:)

Also, everyone should check out his personal webpage, because the dude is awesome: http://www.alvaropasseri.it/

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 31, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

By popular demand posted:

Why not cut it out and upload to YouTube yourself? Something this short will probably not get taken down.

Because I wanted to hear them riff about it. Not being one of the riffers, me uploading it to YouTube wouldn't accomplish this.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Saw dark future. Compared to roller gator it was Fellini.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Are you sure you're not in a comatose state induced by Rollergator hallucinating your experience of watching a different film?
I mean *Guitar noodling intensifies drowning every thing and all things*

:dbuddy: *the rap equivalent of a warcrime ensues*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New full riff release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrd0l2-sDC8
The Last Shark, a movie that is such a Jaws rip off that it got pulled from theaters.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

New full riff release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrd0l2-sDC8
The Last Shark, a movie that is such a Jaws rip off that it got pulled from theaters.

DORSTHAL!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Spikers was weird fun. SOUP PLANTATION!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Golden Bee posted:

Spikers was weird fun. SOUP PLANTATION!

Did you enjoy the volleyball movie that grimly resolved to show as little volleyball as possible?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite part of that movie is how the main character just fucks off half way through so they have to get a new one.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

My favorite part of that movie is how the main character just fucks off half way through so they have to get a new one.

It's like an anti-volleyball movie. I admire it.

"Ok, so this is the story of a guy who sacrifices all for the sport. His coach is a jerk. His best friend drops out of the game and into a life of pure pleasure and comfort with no consequence. His team-mates lose their wives. He finds a lover but she makes it clear that if he quits, she will no longer respect him. He is shackled to the sport, like a man handcuffed to a cadaver, on a long trek trough the desert. Also he gets beaten and mocked by the commies. And at the end...he COMES BACK FOR MORE."

Eat your loving heart out, Lars von Trier.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sephyr posted:

It's like an anti-volleyball movie. I admire it.

"Ok, so this is the story of a guy who sacrifices all for the sport. His coach is a jerk. His best friend drops out of the game and into a life of pure pleasure and comfort with no consequence. His team-mates lose their wives. He finds a lover but she makes it clear that if he quits, she will no longer respect him. He is shackled to the sport, like a man handcuffed to a cadaver, on a long trek trough the desert. Also he gets beaten and mocked by the commies. And at the end...he COMES BACK FOR MORE."

Eat your loving heart out, Lars von Trier.

Also Souplantation! :discourse:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Looks like Baby Ghost is out.

Time to catch up on the last few releases, I've been slacking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kwmurphy/status/1423727543354630156

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Please help, the baby ghost's giggling won't stop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Welp. I'm broken. Rollergator almost did it. This one did.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Something wonderous just occurred! While watching Baby Ghost I had accidentally cut my finger which forced me to take the time to sterilize and bandage the appendage, giving me several minutes in which I did not watch the movie!

#blessed

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The teen canteen series on Tubi is great. It’s clear someone put some effort into making these mix up plots. Sometimes the jokes are adequate but they’re seldom terrible.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You guys are just daring me to buy Baby Ghost at this point. Acoustic guitar noodling didn't break me, but near-constant ghost giggling might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Honestly there's hardly any of that just in comparison to the long meandering scenes that go nowhere.

That is the laziest script I can recall, if you abducted some people and forced them to improvise a movie on the spot you'd get something more interesting.