Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
People are falling off of high ledges and landing in water and the scoring is completely incomprehensible, it's Olympic diving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
We had an olympic dive tower at my highschool but kids werent allowed to use it and everyone said it was cause one time a kid did a belly flop off the top tier and it split his chest open. During the swimming unit of PE each year the really old fat PE teacher would do a a backflip off of the middle platform

Anyways, i think diving looks fun

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The two American women did a dive and I thought 'wow that looked great' and then the commentator said it was terrible lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's loving ridiculous how much better China are at this than anyone else

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nooner posted:

We had an olympic dive tower at my highschool but kids werent allowed to use it and everyone said it was cause one time a kid did a belly flop off the top tier and it split his chest open.

Not at my highschool, but everyone knew of the kid who got chestbursted from the top tier belly flop

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Caught up on the 3m sync vod, Canada did really freaking well! (China going in assumed as the winner of course, they are just... the best at this).

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ravus posted:

Caught up on the 3m sync vod, Canada did really freaking well! (China going in assumed as the winner of course, they are just... the best at this).

It’s hilarious when even the Canadian announcers call the final Canadian dive as “Yay! That should clinch silver!” And just concede that gold would take an inconceivable miracle.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tom Daley and Matty Lee are looking real good in the men's 10m synchro but goddam the Chinese are on another level

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh poo poo China fluffed their 4th dive while Tom and Matty pulled out a 93pt belter, game on :stare:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1.6 pts in it with one dive to go :f5:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This is impressively tense

Edit: I was gonna go bang out a strike in Destiny 2 or something while listening but I'm seeing this through to the end

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That was loving amazing, what a dive :stwoon:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh my

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
101 pts goddam

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
THEY FUCKIN DID IT

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Christ almighty that was tense. What a final.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
That was absurd. Well done chaps

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A question I've had for a while: why do divers rinse themselves off after diving? Is it to wash off the chlorine?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

To stay warm.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They keep talking about the entry but as a diving philistine they all look p good to me

Is the ideal entry your entire body being perpendicular to the water?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

God help me I am invested in these 3m springboard dives now. Can't not root for Tall Jamaican Guy and Bearded Russian Guy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It’s kinda crazy to me how the two Chinese divers are like 50 points ahead of the next closest

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

It’s kinda crazy to me how the two Chinese divers are like 50 points ahead of the next closest

A few days ago one of the announcers casually mentioned that Chinese divers have such a high reputation that small mistakes from them can get brushed over. They are brilliant but there is a little bit of score inflation going on because the expectation is that they are going to put up 80+ dives every single time.

Sadly Tall Jamaican Guy did not move on, but Bearded Russian Guy did.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah you need to bang on 90 degrees entry with zero splash so coming in at an angle or kicking up splash will get you points deducted

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Diving is so intense. One hosed up dive and you're going from 2nd to 10th. Crazy. I love it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

wowww the 14 year old from China with the straight 10’s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Paperback Writer posted:

wowww the 14 year old from China with the straight 10’s

Three times :stare:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat just saw the 10s.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Badger of Basra posted:

They keep talking about the entry but as a diving philistine they all look p good to me

Yes, plus you need to literally push into the water with your hands and pull them apart the moment they hit in order to make a hole in the water that your body can slip into. This is called “ripping it” and it also makes for lots of good jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Hutla posted:

Yes, plus you need to literally push into the water with your hands and pull them apart the moment they hit in order to make a hole in the water that your body can slip into. This is called “ripping it” and it also makes for lots of good jokes.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrip entry! (Leon Taylor saying this is 1/4 of the reason I watch diving- another 1/4 is him making GBS threads on the judges for going easy on the Chinese divers- the rest is good clean diving fun though).