Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Deviant posted:

did you remove the extra slats at the bottom? because the PO of my house didn't know you have to do that!

They're custom sized, so no extra slats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

sim posted:

Can anyone recommend a good floating nightstand? Specifically, I'm looking for something with some cable management built-in. This would be perfect: https://www.prepacmfg.com/product/hanging-nightstand-drawer but it's out of stock everywhere (Canadian mfr, so presumably COVID issue). I can't find a single other option with pre-cut holes for cables. Trying to avoid buying a drill bit to cut them myself, but it might come to that.

Maybe eyeball Ikea BESTA, they certainly have right-sized frames, some for TV's now have cable management in them too, but I'm guessing the smaller ones don't.

Most BESTA stuff can hang on a rail you attach to the wall and has various door combinations.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/besta-frames-12151/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/besta-doors-drawer-fronts-12152/

Or this EKET thing

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/eket-wall-cabinet-with-2-drawers-white-s69329387/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

actionjackson posted:

The only floating nightstand I've seen (at least for modern stuff) is this one

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/nightstands/linear-wall-mounted-nightstands

They probably aren't that popular because if you ever want to adjust the bed position at all, you need to reattach them somewhere else.

How often do people move their beds around? Aside from moving into a new place I think I've done it once in the last thirty years

sim
Sep 24, 2003

actionjackson posted:

They probably aren't that popular because if you ever want to adjust the bed position at all, you need to reattach them somewhere else.

falz posted:

Maybe eyeball Ikea BESTA, they certainly have right-sized frames, some for TV's now have cable management in them too, but I'm guessing the smaller ones don't.

Thanks for the recommendations! I realized I'm pretty limited on width, so I'm having to look at regular ol' legged nightstands. I agree that I'm probably unlikely to ever move my bed around, but ultimately it's easier to hide cables behind a standing nightstand than a floating one.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

actionjackson posted:

The only floating nightstand I've seen (at least for modern stuff) is this one

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/nightstands/linear-wall-mounted-nightstands

You know any lounge chair around ~$300 that isn't laughable garbage? In my dreams I have an Eames but I don't need anything incredible, just comfortable and not IKEA quality.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Inner Light posted:

You know any lounge chair around ~$300 that isn't laughable garbage? In my dreams I have an Eames but I don't need anything incredible, just comfortable and not IKEA quality.

if you're open to something that's just bare metal/wood/plastic that helps a lot

https://www.bludot.com/modern-living-room-furniture/lounge-chairs.html?sort=price_asc&mpp=300

they have a 20% off everything sale in October

https://www.dwr.com/living-lounge-chairs/soft-edge-10-lounge-chair/2518988.html?lang=en_US

https://hivemodern.com/pages/product6623/knoll-don-chadwick-spark-stacking-lounge-chair

I would also try to find places in your area that reupholster items for resale

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm going to be :evilbuddy: and post an exterior design question :hehe:

We are going to put up a screen door - a classic 5-bar wooden framed one. Gotta paint it cause it's unfinished. I happen to like bright fun colors for doors anyway, so I'd also like to paint over our currently black exterior door while I'm at it.

Should I paint them the same color? Or different?
Points in favor of same color:
Screen will block some of the color of the door behind, so that might be an argument to double up on the color
Cost of paint - if i go with two separate colors I will end up with two mostly full cans of exterior paint

Point in favor of different colors: could pick a nice color pair to make for a cool accent color kinda thing. Could match the door frame trim to the screen door or something.

It's just hard to visualize /imagine what it will look like, with the screen partially blocking the door behind it and all

Anyone have experience with this and thoughts on how it turns out?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My front door has a storm door that is painted a very similar color to my siding (cream) where as the door and door trim are dark blue. It's a 2/3rds door so the bottom third is a solid panel, and it blocks the view of a lot of the door. I don't like it and have considered replacing it with a full panel screen/window style to be able to see the door better. I would likely get a black framed storm door since I have some black accents there (house number, mailbox, porch light).

Since you're thinking of a wooden door, painting it the same color of your exterior door would probably look ok though you'll likely lose the definition of the exterior door when looking at it from a distance. The screen really won't end up blocking much. I would definitely try to match it to something though, either door or door trim or accent colors of things around the door.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think if the parts on the screen door and real door match up (styles same width, rails line up, panels line up with screen door or whatever) doing them different colors could look neat, but I think if they don't really match up that well it's probably safer to do them the same so as not to accentuate the fact that they don't match? Its a few hours of your time and a can of paint though, so not terribly high-risk if you want to change it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

yeah that's a good point, I can always buy another can but i can't un-buy one if I start with 2 colors.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If I wanted to buy an arm to hold a pendant light from the vertical wall, what search term should i be using? I'm afraid to put holes in the ceiling of our rental so thought an arm might be a work around. It doesn't need to swing, just be stationary

OR has anyone installed one of these and if it left a big screw hole when you removed it?

https://www.colorcord.com/products/pinch-swag-hook?variant=12363353587814

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 10, 2021

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

yeah that's a good point, I can always buy another can but i can't un-buy one if I start with 2 colors.

Start by painting the screen door and hang it in front of the black door? That will let you see if the doors line up well and look good with two different colors from close up and afar, and then you can go on to painting the front door in the same or contrasting color.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hi interior design thread. This is more of an exterior design question, but pretty sure it qualifies for this thread. I don't know what I'm doing with regards to picking colors and whatnot.

We're getting a screened porch built. It's great. The ceiling is going to be beadboard. Initially we thought we were going to get it stained, probably a color on the lighter end.

But now I'm going back and forth between that and just painting it white.

Here's a picture of it right now:

And decking for reference:

So the rails are white, balusters are black, but all the posts and trim will be painted white. The house trim is already white, and we plan on keeping it that way because we're boring and have a HOA. Thinking about it, stain might be out of place given all that. For reference, the front porch ceiling is beadboard and is painted white, but I don't know if that really matters or not since that's the front of the house. Looking at the pictures again, the bump out bottom is white, so I'm wondering if sticking with that is the way to go.

The colors of the decking are Trex Spiced Rum (picture frame) and Havana Gold (main boards). The rails will have a cocktail rail using the Spiced Rum.

Thoughts? If we went with stain, we were thinking something close to what we have inside for the cabinets/floors. Closest I could come up with is Sherwin Williams/Minwax Yellow Steppe. Thought process is that the ceiling should be a light color to avoid closing the space in.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
You need to paint your ceiling light blue, Sherwin Williams’ Atmospheric looks great on porch ceilings.

Is this just a southern thing? I’ve seen so many blue porch ceilings in my lifetime.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Hi interior design thread. This is more of an exterior design question, but pretty sure it qualifies for this thread. I don't know what I'm doing with regards to picking colors and whatnot.

We're getting a screened porch built. It's great. The ceiling is going to be beadboard. Initially we thought we were going to get it stained, probably a color on the lighter end.

So the rails are white, balusters are black, but all the posts and trim will be painted white. The house trim is already white, and we plan on keeping it that way because we're boring and have a HOA. Thinking about it, stain might be out of place given all that. For reference, the front porch ceiling is beadboard and is painted white, but I don't know if that really matters or not since that's the front of the house. Looking at the pictures again, the bump out bottom is white, so I'm wondering if sticking with that is the way to go.

The colors of the decking are Trex Spiced Rum (picture frame) and Havana Gold (main boards). The rails will have a cocktail rail using the Spiced Rum.

Thoughts? If we went with stain, we were thinking something close to what we have inside for the cabinets/floors. Closest I could come up with is Sherwin Williams/Minwax Yellow Steppe. Thought process is that the ceiling should be a light color to avoid closing the space in.

I’d go with white, sounds like that’s the most cohesive and will make the space feel bigger.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GoreJess posted:

Is this just a southern thing? I’ve seen so many blue porch ceilings in my lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haint_blue

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

I just did a bunch of test stains for my interior trim. One of the stains we used was a "mist" color, it is whitish-grey but the wood grain still shines through. One of these woods is poplar, the other alder. Might give you the best of both worlds. It was from these guys. They had some other stains like this.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I really like the look of 60's Danish style modular wall shelves and cabinets, but they're stupid expensive and I want to use them over a fairly large wall (~9' ceiling x 30' long).

I've been considering DIY'ing one out of something like the Twintrack shelving system, supplying my own wooden shelves, and then adding wall mounted cabinets in a few places.

No one seems to sell wall cabinets in any variety except for kitchen cabinets though. If I can find kitchen cabinets that match the aesthetic and dimensions I want, is there any reason not to use them individually scattered throughout the shelving? I'll need to find some that have cosmetic side panels, and possibly bottom panels if I want to mount things above sitting height eye level.

I also haven't been able to find a cabinet retailer other than Lowedepot that'll sell individual cabinet pieces. They all want to do whole kitchens at once to their design and wouldn't even entertain the idea of selling pieces separately.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I really like the look of 60's Danish style modular wall shelves and cabinets, but they're stupid expensive and I want to use them over a fairly large wall (~9' ceiling x 30' long).

just curious where have you been looking at so far?

you're probably going to have to pay a lot for a wall that size, 30' is enormous, unless you do ikea or something

do you actually have that many books (or other items)?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

just curious where have you been looking at so far?

you're probably going to have to pay a lot for a wall that size, 30' is enormous, unless you do ikea or something

do you actually have that many books (or other items)?

The only modular shelving I've seen that doesn't look like a college dorm room is the original Danish teak or walnut stuff, so its going to be pretty drat expensive no matter where I find it. Partly I want to DIY it just for it's own sake. I enjoy making things and have a whole wood shop set up at home, and I've been practicing staining and finishing over the last year so I'm pretty confident I can make a coherent wall system that'll look great.

30' does sound crazy (actually 28'), but its one of those long skinny townhouse setups where the main floor has one continuous wall. I tried to get a picture of it, and I couldn't actually get the whole wall in the frame in one picture. The green tape pieces mark the stud locations which I measured carefully so my CAD layout was accurate.

I marked in red a couple places I want to stick the cabinets I was asking about. One would go above my desk setup so I can declutter all the WFH and misc home office stuff off the desk and other surface, and a pair would take the place of the hutch on the far left of the picture. I'm also considering putting a row of them across the top left area, which isn't in the CAD image below. My dining table is outlined in blue. You can also see on the far right a sample shelf I set up for evaluation.

Here's a cleaner and more complete layout of the shelving and cabinets I'm considering. The shelving would be pretty sparse compared to alot of setups I've seen, although I have plenty of junk to put on them if I want. I'll probably move the hutch to a different room if I go with something like the CAD layout. I forgot to hide the light fixture on the right half so the wall is a bit obscured. That fixture doesn't exist (yet) but I'll get around to making it Some day (TM).

Another complication is that like alot of people with this type of room, I have it more or less divided down the middle into two spaces. The left side in these pictures is basically the dining room, and the right side home office and living room. I can't decide if I should run the shelving scheme across the "rooms", or only use it on the right side and do something else with the wall on the left.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm trying to find a media console/TV stand and having trouble finding something that isn't a) too tall or b) too wide. My current one is 48 inches wide and 21 inches tall and I'd like to stay around those dimensions, within a couple inches on either side of those measurements. Does anyone have any recommendations? In terms of budget I'd like to stay under $2,000 but I'm not really sure what a quality piece costs right now.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm trying to find a media console/TV stand and having trouble finding something that isn't a) too tall or b) too wide. My current one is 48 inches wide and 21 inches tall and I'd like to stay around those dimensions, within a couple inches on either side of those measurements. Does anyone have any recommendations? In terms of budget I'd like to stay under $2,000 but I'm not really sure what a quality piece costs right now.

someone in the other thread just got a BDI, which is the gold standard, but is really meant for people with a lot of media, like really heavy AV equipment and such. They are also a bit taller.

https://centuryhouseinc.com/product/bdi-corridor-sv-7128-media-console/

Given even that would be within your budget, you should have no problem finding something.

Are you looking for something where you can put stuff inside but still be able to use the remote with the doors closed?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

actionjackson posted:

someone in the other thread just got a BDI, which is the gold standard, but is really meant for people with a lot of media, like really heavy AV equipment and such. They are also a bit taller.

https://centuryhouseinc.com/product/bdi-corridor-sv-7128-media-console/

Given even that would be within your budget, you should have no problem finding something.

Are you looking for something where you can put stuff inside but still be able to use the remote with the doors closed?

Ideally yes but I'd also be fine with no doors - that's what I have now and I think it looks fine. I'm not crazy about the tempered glass on top though honestly, seems like it would be hell to keep clean.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

Ideally yes but I'd also be fine with no doors - that's what I have now and I think it looks fine. I'm not crazy about the tempered glass on top though honestly, seems like it would be hell to keep clean.

how about this one in 55 inches, plenty of options.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/storage-and-entryway/media-cabinets/copenhagen-media-cabinets

this one has a 60 and 42 inch version. I would assume remotes work through the side doors as they are glass, but I would double check

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/storage-and-entryway/media-cabinets/linear-media-cabinets

I own the large version of this one - the small might work for you, though only if you have a few pieces of AV equipment. I can give you dimensions of the black cubby spaces and a pic of mine if you want - it looks really good in person. Both the horizontal and vertical shelf in there can be removed.

https://www.dwr.com/living-media-storage/aura-media-unit/1198.html?lang=en_US

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Anyone able to ID this lamp?

My buddy dropped it and broke the glass shade.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:ohdear: rip cool lamp

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Will having a rug next to the bed that is orientated perpendicular to the bed look stupid or not

basically part of it would go under the bed. the dog bed is next to my bed, which means if I orient it parallel it won't really fit well, as the dog bed is spacious.

something like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks goofy to me. I think like a long runner parallel to the bed would be better? It would look fine it it had to go under the dog bed too imo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks goofy to me. I think like a long runner parallel to the bed would be better? It would look fine it it had to go under the dog bed too imo.

that's what I had been doing, it seemed strange though because of the lack of visual separation.

edit: prob best to just get a regular size one and do it perpendicular, like this one in 5.5x8 feet

https://www.dwr.com/rugs-rugs/peas-random-rug/2517779.html?lang=en_US

my bed is 66" wide, so this would give me 15" of rug on each side. the closest wall to the long side is 22" from the bed so that should work.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 28, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm in love with this couch design (the arm pillow situation specifically) but it's made by a super low-end place. Please tell me it's a knockoff of something higher-quality?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Do you like that it flares out or that there are arm pillows?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Both, but I think the arm pillows are the more unusual aspect

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Anne Whateley posted:

It's like a weird hybrid of a Knoll and Knole sofa. If you google Knole Sofa that might get you started. Side pillow couches are pretty common on the modern side too https://www.roveconcepts.com/nico-sofa. Someone might be able to find you a higher end one. The one you posted is cheap because it's very basic construction of simple blocks and might not have a higher end cousin.

Came here to post that I got my moon lamp up. It's more of a mood lighting than functional but it's so pretty.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Dunno if this is the right thread. I bought a Condo last year that had some 'work' done by people that had previously bought it to rent it out. One of the issues is that the trim had some sort of stain or shellac on it that they just painted over with latex paint. The paint isn't sticking very well to whatever is under it and gets damaged easily. I'm going to be painting the room soon, so I figured I'd take a closer look at the trim.

What would be the best way of going about fixing this? Scraping it down? Is there a more robust primer I could use that would keep everything in place for a new topcoat of paint?

Additionally, painting the room is going to take two gallons of paint. I'll be using Ben Moore Regal Select in the chosen color. Should I mix the two gallons into a larger container, or will the color accuracy between the cans of paint be fine since it's computer controlled pigments?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Dunno if this is the right thread. I bought a Condo last year that had some 'work' done by people that had previously bought it to rent it out. One of the issues is that the trim had some sort of stain or shellac on it that they just painted over with latex paint. The paint isn't sticking very well to whatever is under it and gets damaged easily. I'm going to be painting the room soon, so I figured I'd take a closer look at the trim.

What would be the best way of going about fixing this? Scraping it down? Is there a more robust primer I could use that would keep everything in place for a new topcoat of paint?

Additionally, painting the room is going to take two gallons of paint. I'll be using Ben Moore Regal Select in the chosen color. Should I mix the two gallons into a larger container, or will the color accuracy between the cans of paint be fine since it's computer controlled pigments?

you might want to post this in the paint thread instead, there are some people with a lot of expertise in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972382

cheese eats mouse posted:

Came here to post that I got my moon lamp up. It's more of a mood lighting than functional but it's so pretty.

cool light, do you not have a junction box up there?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

actionjackson posted:

you might want to post this in the paint thread instead, there are some people with a lot of expertise in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972382

cool light, do you not have a junction box up there?

It's a rental and we're only here for another year. The extension cord is bad but best I can do without a big lighting project I don't want to mess with.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Anne Whateley posted:

Closest I’ve seen so far

https://www.bolia.com/en/sofas/all-sofa-designs/?family=gaia&lastfacet=family

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks! I don't need anything actually high-end. Middlebrow places like Raymour & Flanigan would probably be fine. The one I posted is from a store I've never heard of called Value City, so I just have visions of it turning to sawdust as I sit down

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Having been to a Value City you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just found out Ercol are still around/trading and I wish I could afford it all.