Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Capaldi's too busy camping out in front of Briggs's house with his Big Finish Chumbley scripts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I believe we have now encountered the middle of this thread.

Where it goes from sucking to blowing?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Gotta be said though, he has the absolute best one-and-done presence in all of the multi-doctor stories to date. It's hard to top that.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Capaldi as Caecilius in the next multi-doctor story confirmed!

Rhyno posted:

That article even says it, Tennant said he wasn't keen on coming back either and then he did anyways. If Eccleston by some miracle wants to do it there's no way Capaldi would sit out.

Yes, but Tennant says this time that he would come back if asked, which suggests that he hasn't been asked because if he had been he'd lie about it.

"Ever hear of the double-bluff?"

Shut up, Uvanov.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw a dvd of John Bishop’s standup in the pound shop today. It’s weird to think he’s the new companion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

I saw a dvd of John Bishop’s standup in the pound shop today. It’s weird to think he’s the new companion.

Imagine if it turned out he was the next Doctor and he decided just to see what it was like to be a companion for a while.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Narsham posted:

Capaldi as Caecilius in the next multi-doctor story confirmed!

Mister Doctor? It's Strange, but who am I to judge?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

A.o.D. posted:

Mister Doctor? It's Strange, but who am I to judge?

CGI George Peppard cameos as Doctor Lecter.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Catherine Tate, Matt Lucas and Bradley Walsh have all been pleasant surprises as comedians working really well as companions so hopefully John Bishop continues that trend.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1422920572917456898?s=20

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know how that's supposed to work, unless they either never directly interact or end up both getting amnesia at the end of it, but I'm excited to see the potential outcome here. Felt like a waste that we never got to see Ten and the Jacobi Master directly interact, in proper character, on-screen, in their one chance to do so before Jacobi regenerated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Class3KillStorm posted:

I don't know how that's supposed to work, unless they either never directly interact or end up both getting amnesia at the end of it, but I'm excited to see the potential outcome here. Felt like a waste that we never got to see Ten and the Jacobi Master directly interact, in proper character, on-screen, in their one chance to do so before Jacobi regenerated.

It's post-Utopia, so 10 doesn't need to forget about it or anything.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

It's post-Utopia, so 10 doesn't need to forget about it or anything.

So, Jacobi is gonna meet 10 during the Time War activities and then forget everything about it himself when he resets his DNA? I guess that'd work, but it would make "Last of the Time Lords" feel a bit hollower if the Master has had some kind of interaction with that incarnation of the Doctor, even if in a younger version, and not follow up on it later. From how those scenes are played by Simm, it's the first time that the Master has met any post-8 incarnation.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Class3KillStorm posted:

So, Jacobi is gonna meet 10 during the Time War activities and then forget everything about it himself when he resets his DNA? I guess that'd work, but it would make "Last of the Time Lords" feel a bit hollower if the Master has had some kind of interaction with that incarnation of the Doctor, even if in a younger version, and not follow up on it later. From how those scenes are played by Simm, it's the first time that the Master has met any post-8 incarnation.

I suspect the natural state of anyone involved in a Time War is amnesia, with persistence of memory being an unusual circumstance that requires a technobabble explanation.

One such is that the natural response to a timeline change is to forget the old timeline, as per the Mandela effect. It’s just one of the things a TARDIS does is rewrite your memories so they correspond to what you experienced. Probably Time Lord biology does this too, but the Jacobi master didn’t have Time Lord biology at that point..

Jacobi lost access to his own TARDIS at some point pre-Utopia. So when he gained control of Ten’s, that only provided him with memories of things that had happened up to that point in Ten’s timeline.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rumours are starting to swirl that heavily suggest Sally Wainwright is replacing Chibnall as the next showrunner. She’s got previous form for the Beeb including the brilliant Gentleman Jack.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
She’ll make Rusty’s gay agenda look straight by comparison.

And given most of her stuff takes place around the River Calder, I can’t wait for Aliens in ‘ipper’olme.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TinTower posted:

She’ll make Rusty’s gay agenda look straight by comparison.

And given most of her stuff takes place around the River Calder, I can’t wait for Aliens in ‘ipper’olme.
Ay up, Doctor! Theh's Daleks down at't Shay. Shift yer arse an' do 'em wi' yer sonic thingy b'fore theh get to't Piece 'all!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Suicide Squad is up on HBO Max now and even though Peter Capaldi is kinda underutilized in it he does get one good Doctor-ish speech.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good grief, I completely forgot/failed to realise that Martha’s sister Tish was played by Gugu Mbatha-Raw, aka Ravonna from Loki, best Doctor Who story this year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ravonna is a Rutan????

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The whole family is attracted to time travellers. Leo knocked more than a few out to Sapphire (and sometimes Steel).

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Suicide Squad is up on HBO Max now and even though Peter Capaldi is kinda underutilized in it he does get one good Doctor-ish speech.

When you gotta have someone speeching at you about the bad poo poo your government is doing, ya gotta get Capaldi!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Apparently Calpaldi has mentioned during promo interviews for the film that he doesn't like recording voice acting that much, and he'd rather be on set when acting, so I don't think he's going to be joining Big Finish anytime soon. At least Jacob Dudman has some job security then. Apparently iirc, he was was meant to be a guest character on an audio pre being cast as the Doctor, but they couldn't work out the scheduling.

Hopefully Jodie Whittaker will join in a few years - the idea of 13 being given better stories, like 6, is an interesting one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Hopefully Jodie Whittaker will join in a few years - the idea of 13 being given better stories, like 6, is an interesting one.

Yeah, I hope they can do good by her and her companions / era.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I hope they can do good by her and her companions / era.

I'd like them to go full 6 and give her some audio original companions. A character as interesting as Evelyn, Liv or Charley would give 13 so much more depth than the underwritten TV companions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

OldMemes posted:

I'd like them to go full 6 and give her some audio original companions. A character as interesting as Evelyn, Liv or Charley would give 13 so much more depth than the underwritten TV companions.

:hmmyes:

You’re unlikely to get Bradley Walsh or Tosin Cole back for audios, maybe Mandip Gill, I’d love just some 13/Yaz stuff. But yeah, an interesting audio only companion would be good too.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OldMemes posted:

The question is, where would you fit an original companion in? Theoretically, there may be one of those "unexplained gaps" in this upcoming season, or between it and her regeneration story, where you could stick some other stuff. As it is, there currently isn't a whole lot of time where The Fam isn't hanging out together in Thirteen's timeline.

The only possible time right now that I can think of is during those supposed "short trips" Thirteen is doing on her own, where she is apparently splitting time between visiting Gallifrey and hunting down the Master, that gets mentioned in one of the Season 12 episodes. (I forget which; the character beats all run together after a while.) And while that might be an interesting place to put a previously unmentioned companion or two, I don't know that Thirteen would be in a good headspace to have company tagging along. Plus it would ultimately do those characters a disservice if Thirteen leaves them to go right back to The Fam to... continue brooding over Gallifrey's destruction and chasing the Master, as we see in the rest of Season 12. Feels like any new companion introduced in that scenario would ultimately not be able to leave much of an impact and would essentially keep Thirteen in a form of character stasis, based on what we've seen so far. (Though that's hardly new with Chibnall's treatment...)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Class3KillStorm posted:

The question is, where would you fit an original companion in? Theoretically, there may be one of those "unexplained gaps" in this upcoming season, or between it and her regeneration story, where you could stick some other stuff. As it is, there currently isn't a whole lot of time where The Fam isn't hanging out together in Thirteen's timeline.

They've just given the Twelfth Doctor a companion set during his university tenure, during the period when Nardole (and maybe Bill) was around, so it's not like they can't just insert new characters wherever they want to.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't he teach there for like 70 years? Say what you like about Moffat, he was great about leaving gaps for other stories to go later.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Can we please let 13/Yaz have some time together before insisting, like the TV show, that we need some other companion? Yaz has been sidelined since being introduced and she should be levels of awesome that Amy and Clara wish they could achieve.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Narsham posted:

Can we please let 13/Yaz have some time together before insisting, like the TV show, that we need some other companion? Yaz has been sidelined since being introduced and she should be levels of awesome that Amy and Clara wish they could achieve.

"This should be awesome" is the Chibnall Era in a nutshell.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Class3KillStorm posted:

"This should be awesome" is the Chibnall Era in a nutshell.

I will say, Whittaker's first season is a lot better than people give it credit for.

but yikes, that second season.

Also, I hope they cast another woman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think a part of the issue with Whittaker's first season is that the final episode was really not-very-good which kind of colors overall reaction. If you ignore the dumb way they put together the Blu-Ray releases, then treating Resolution as the ACTUAL ending of her first season gives it a much stronger ending.

Also The Woman Who Fell to Earth is a really, really loving good introductory episode for people to get into the show.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Class3KillStorm posted:

The only possible time right now that I can think of is during those supposed "short trips" Thirteen is doing on her own, where she is apparently splitting time between visiting Gallifrey and hunting down the Master, that gets mentioned in one of the Season 12 episodes. (I forget which; the character beats all run together after a while.) And while that might be an interesting place to put a previously unmentioned companion or two, I don't know that Thirteen would be in a good headspace to have company tagging along. Plus it would ultimately do those characters a disservice if Thirteen leaves them to go right back to The Fam to... continue brooding over Gallifrey's destruction and chasing the Master, as we see in the rest of Season 12. Feels like any new companion introduced in that scenario would ultimately not be able to leave much of an impact and would essentially keep Thirteen in a form of character stasis, based on what we've seen so far. (Though that's hardly new with Chibnall's treatment...)

We basically see 13 doing that in Spyfall pt2 (albeit not voluntarily) and especially Can You Hear Me, so it's decently in-character for her to go off on her own and find some new people to hang out with for a bit. There's also plenty of nebulous time between the end of Series 11 and the opening of Series 12. I can't remember if it was stated how long they'd been back in the episode, but it felt like Spyfall started with them having some amount of downtime in travelling for the companions to go do their own things.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'll be excited if it's Sally Wainright, At Home With The Braithwaites was absolutely formative viewing for me as a teenage gay and I like most of her other stuff too. She'd also be sure to cast another woman doctor, and I wouldn't put it past her to just cast Suranne Jones and finished.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I remember listening to an episode of Radio Free Skaro from, like, 2014, and one of the hosts mentions that he’d prefer a female showrunner come before a female Doctor, and I think we now know why!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Payndz posted:

Ay up, Doctor! Theh's Daleks down at't Shay. Shift yer arse an' do 'em wi' yer sonic thingy b'fore theh get to't Piece 'all!

Daleks at the Shay would be an improvement.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

She'd also be sure to cast another woman doctor, and I wouldn't put it past her to just cast Suranne Jones and finished.

“Oh! I remember this face!”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

“Oh! I remember this face!”

TARDIS gets pissy about it and starts randomly dumping her at completely random places (Skaro).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Jerusalem posted:

TARDIS gets pissy about it and starts randomly dumping her at completely random places (Skaro).

I really want the TARDIS "randomly" going places to come back, I'm so bored of "Oh we're at the ghost planet Marcharcuterie, home of the fifth age of Burger King... oh no there are monsters here!", I want episodes to start with The Doctor opening a door and being all "Where have you brought me now old girl..? oh no there are monsters here!" again.

The TARDIS, of course does nothing randomly, it's just taking The Doctor where The Doctor needs to go.