Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They're about to get shut down for multiple health code violations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Thank you so much for the advice everyone.

But we've made the hard decision to put Odin down.

I'm too distraught to write anymore, but my sister was able to get photos from when he was a kitten (he was originally her cat):

And some photos of him as an adult:

SoggyBobcat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2021

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Goodbye Odin. I love you so much. I'm happy you were able to come to my bed on your own and sleep with me one last time before parting ways.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

RIP Odin a good catte

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Aw gently caress. :(

Everything you shared and posted is just a glimpse of how great of a steward you were to Odin.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm so sorry about Odin. I'm glad you two had the time you did; those pictures make it really clear just how good, and beloved, he was.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Rest well, Odin.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm very sorry for your loss, too :( Adorable kitten pics, and it looks like he had a happy life with lots of love, though. Not much more a kitty can ask for, ultimately.

edit: On a random note, I woke up to both Jackie and Mini-Scratcher (our fearful year and a half old feral boy who usually runs away from everyone and never goes near people) right next to me on my bed, this morning:

MIni-Scratcher is nuzzling Jackie here, who for once allowed him to do so without growling and/or smacking him upside the head with her paw. It was pretty amazing, she tolerated him for an entire hour, while he tolerated my presence. It was really a lovely thing.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 28, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Thumposaurus posted:

RIP Odin a good catte

Thank you for sharing your adorable chonk with us, I am so sorry for your loss.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words everyone. They do help take away some of the pain. Though I still have a lot of crying ahead of me I think.

Sorry for hijacking the thread about Odin. One last picture I found, with his brother Kovu, who I posted an obituary for in 2019.

Would you believe, despite his girth, he was the biggest scaredy-cat you've ever seen (pun intended)? He would flee from our hamster when we put her in her ball.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
My partner and I are looking into adopting a cat in the near-ish future, and I have a few questions/concerns. Hopefully this is the right place:

We have a dog. Her favourite things are sleep and food, and she is friendly to a fault. She doesn't have a history of acting negatively towards cats when we encounter them on a walk, and usually ignores them. Is there anything i should be aware of when it comes time to look for a cat, or questions i should ask the shelter?

While I know adopting two cats is better (and i would absolutely love to), it may be difficult to convince my partner of it. Would having one cat + one dog at least help with loneliness/being an rear end in a top hat/playing with another critter issues?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A Real Happy Camper posted:

My partner and I are looking into adopting a cat in the near-ish future, and I have a few questions/concerns. Hopefully this is the right place:

We have a dog. Her favourite things are sleep and food, and she is friendly to a fault. She doesn't have a history of acting negatively towards cats when we encounter them on a walk, and usually ignores them. Is there anything i should be aware of when it comes time to look for a cat, or questions i should ask the shelter?

While I know adopting two cats is better (and i would absolutely love to), it may be difficult to convince my partner of it. Would having one cat + one dog at least help with loneliness/being an rear end in a top hat/playing with another critter issues?

The recommendation of two applies to kittens, specifically. Not due to loneliness, but because kittens are energetic assholes who will wear you out in a hurry. Having two means they can beat up on each other and leave you alone. If you're getting an adult cat, one at a time is fine.

Cats and dogs get along well. They may take a while to figure each other out, is all.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the shelter will be able to point you towards cats that have lived with dogs in the past, or with temperaments they think would let them live happily with a dog

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, this sounds like a good situation for adopting one adult cat with a dog-friendly temperament, or maybe a bonded pair if they're both cool with dogs. Definitely get two kittens if you go the kitten route, but I think it'd work out better to get an adult where their personality is already known.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I went with the two kitten route and yeah I can’t recommend it enough. They are still a pain in the rear end but I couldn’t imagine what they’d do with just one of them.

It definitely makes me feel less anxious when I leave them for long periods as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One kitten works and has worked that way for zillions of cats over the centuries. I'm not sure "well socialized" is a term you can even use with cats, they either tolerate new cats or don't and it doesn't matter how they grew up. Getting a pair of kittens only assures that if you do want multiple cats that they'll tolerate each other.

A solo cat in a home alone for long periods can be an issue, but it depends on their personality. If they like to be left alone a lot, they'll be fine. If they crave attention they'll still probably be fine but you'll feel like an rear end in a top hat not giving them all the attention they crave.

A kitten with a dog is probably a non-issue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah we have 4 foster kittens and it's honestly easier than having one (except for all the poop). They just torment each other for a few hours and then collapse in exhaustion for most of the day. All we really have to do is feed and cuddle them.

But with a dog? I'd more likely go for an adult cat with a history of living with dogs. That said, be careful about the introduction - just because your dog doesn't mind cats when on walks doesn't mean she'll react the same way to a cat now living in her territory.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 31, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, be sure to talk to the shelter staff and explain that you're looking to add a cat to a home that already has a dog. If the shelter is any good, the staff will be able to immediately show you cats that have or should get along well with dogs.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I had to put my cat down a few months ago and I'm thinking about adopting two kittens. The last time I "had" a kitten was when my parents adopted one when I was in middle school, so I don't really remember how much work they are. What I remember is the kitten wasn't really much more work than an adult cat; she was litter trained already and the main difference was she demanded a lot of attention all the time (there was a lot of mewing outside bedrooms doors at night, I think I "solved" that issue by keeping my door open). I'm thinking two cats would help with that part as I live alone and am pretty busy. Do they need to be fed more frequently? Is there anything else I'm missing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only thing to keep in mind with kittens is if you ever want to teach a cat anything, that's the time to do it. They're super tolerant at that age and soak up new stuff like it's no big deal. Once they get to about one year old they start to get locked in and while they can always be trained, it's a lot more work.

Harness train them, clicker train them, introduce them to pools of water so maybe they won't be terrified of it, make positive experiences with pet carriers, learn how to use disengagement to discourage bad behaviors, make it very clear where to do their nails, and probably some other stuff I forgot.

I don't find it particularly stressful or time consuming, it's not a full time job. And even if it was full time it's amazing fun playing with kittens, they mature fast and then it's gone forever.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Mess with their feet a lot to desensitize them to having their feet handled for nail clipping.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, be sure to talk to the shelter staff and explain that you're looking to add a cat to a home that already has a dog. If the shelter is any good, the staff will be able to immediately show you cats that have or should get along well with dogs.

This is what we did and they pointed us toward a ~6 month old adolescent and now they get on famously. Play during the day, snuggle at night.* It took time as they had to figure out a whole weird rear end set of body language but that kitten curiosity helped, I feel.

* Results may not be typical. Our adult cats never quite figured the dog out. They tolerate each other’s presence very well, but definitely aren’t friends.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Len posted:

I have an album on my phone called Cats Don't Go There and it's just him sitting places he shouldn't. In the dryer is my favorite

That is extremely dangerous and I hope you check your dryer thoroughly before using it.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Is this a tooth? Found it on my bed where one of my cats lays. They're both 6-ish, so well past baby teeth. Do adult teeth ever fall out on their own?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Is this a tooth? Found it on my bed where one of my cats lays. They're both 6-ish, so well past baby teeth. Do adult teeth ever fall out on their own?

That does appear to be a teef. Cats do get tooth resorbtion and weak teeth sometimes it is very worth getting a vet checkup even if just go get the empty socket checked out and stitched up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pollyanna posted:

That is extremely dangerous and I hope you check your dryer thoroughly before using it.

It's when we leave it open and full of clean clothes.

You'll go to grab a short or something and find a surprising about of resistance and theres just a cat giving you a mean look for disturbing his slumber

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

One kitten works and has worked that way for zillions of cats over the centuries. I'm not sure "well socialized" is a term you can even use with cats, they either tolerate new cats or don't and it doesn't matter how they grew up. Getting a pair of kittens only assures that if you do want multiple cats that they'll tolerate each other.

Agree - we got our kittens within a month of each other, they mostly tolerated each other but one thumped the other a lot. Introducing a dog to the equation actually stopped that as much because he'd lose his poo poo and break them up when they started throwing down. I had to rehome Hugo to my parents and drat if he wasn't the happiest solo cat in the world.

They just had to take in a family members cranky, creaky rear end old cat who basically has about 18 months left, and Hugo is throwing Oscar-worthy histrionic shitfits, claimed the entire house except for one bedroom, and is forcing himself to eat the other cats food (which he normally doesn't like) just to show him who's boss. Oldcat could rip him apart if he really wanted to, whereas Hugo's got ridiculous soft paddle feet and doesn't know how to use his claws. All bark and no bite.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Len posted:

It's when we leave it open and full of clean clothes.

You'll go to grab a short or something and find a surprising about of resistance and theres just a cat giving you a mean look for disturbing his slumber

Please don’t leave it open. That’s how you end up with the situation where the cat goes in, you throw your clothes in without looking, and then…

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Boogalo posted:

That does appear to be a teef. Cats do get tooth resorbtion and weak teeth sometimes it is very worth getting a vet checkup even if just go get the empty socket checked out and stitched up.

:( Scheduled a vet appointment to get him checked out. Might do a full dental next year.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Harold is folding his right ear down a bit and shaking his head a fair bit more than he usually does, as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to be in active pain, he doesn't flinch away or growl at me or anything if I brush it or rub around it, but he seems not inclined at all to let me pet that side of his head all the same. Should I be worrying or is this just cat being cat? Pulled muscle maybe? :ohdear:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I feel like that may be an ear infection, particularly if you see any discharges from the ear or if he shows signs of not hearing well on that side of the head, which means vet time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
We're traveling internationally (from LATAM to the US) with our cat for the first time. I'm planning to be at the airport quite a bit earlier than I normally would (5-6 hours early) mostly because the airline only allows a limited number of pets in the cabin and it's first come-first served. After that it's like a 12 hour flight plus probably another two hours before out destination.

My plan is to hopefully let the cat have some time (one or two hours) outside the carrier, as far away from the noise and people as possible, so that he'll hopefully relax a bit and maybe poop and pee before boarding.

Has anyone had any experience with getting some kitty litter through customs? I'm guessing it's probably not allowed.

What's a good plan B in that case? Just some sort of diaper? Have him suck it up and hold it for the next 24 hours?

I don't mind him going in the carrier, I'll probably be lining it with a big diaper mat just in case, but obviously if he can do it before boarding that's even better.

Any international pet travel suggestions welcome.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I think the easiest way would be to have your cat travel as cargo, get the largest carrier you can afford, and put a litter box in along with some food and water to keep them comfortable. I haven't done this myself, though, so ideally someone with experience can correct me.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Pollyanna posted:

Please don’t leave it open. That’s how you end up with the situation where the cat goes in, you throw your clothes in without looking, and then…

I will spare the sad details, but yes, always always check for a cat before you do a load of laundry.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I think the easiest way would be to have your cat travel as cargo, get the largest carrier you can afford, and put a litter box in along with some food and water to keep them comfortable. I haven't done this myself, though, so ideally someone with experience can correct me.

I don't think I could send a pet as cargo, there's too many things that can go wrong, especially if I can just bring it on board with me.

I'm sure other people will disagree, I've just heard too many horror stories.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

our poor cat somehow caught ring worm on her ear so now we're treating her with a bath every week and applying the solution to her ear each time that smells like rotten eggs. so that's been a fun experience. still no clue how she's caught it, but she's got it so we gotta deal with it. I'm fully expecting our other cat:

to catch it eventually. we tried for a few days separating them from each other, but our apartment is small and we dont have many rooms to dedicate to just one of them and they B-line straight for each other no matter what. An impossible task at this point. bleh, this rotten egg smell has pretty much taken over our bathroom. its awful, but Simply Green seems to knock it back pretty well and lighting a stick or two of incense after each session...

goddamn ring worms.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've not traveled with mine, but from hanging out in these threads, the consensus I've seen is talk to your vet, get the good relaxing drugs, and a nice soft carrier and go for it. Don't take them out for any reason. They'll be fine sleeping most of the trip and can go a long time without bathroom breaks. Still, you know your cat best and how well it handles carrier time. Out of carrier for 1-2 hours in a strange noisy new smelling place is rarely long enough for a cat to relax.

I will 2nd though definitely not as cargo. Way too much can go wrong including sitting in a baggage cart on hot tarmac for hours if there's a delay. At least as carry-on, you will be right there to handle any problems.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

dorium posted:

goddamn ring worms.

Your cats are really beautiful ♥

Boogalo posted:

as carry-on

It's surprising to me that they'd let you take a cat on the plane, since so many people are allergic.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pidan posted:

Your cats are really beautiful ♥

TY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Someone found a bag of treats last night tore it open and gorged themself on the entire bag

Unsurprisingly it made then sick and now I have two massive piles of hork to clean when I get home from work.

Why do I love these little shits again?