Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the OP a dipshit?
Yes
No
View Results

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
You can't prove me wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Save state at the beginning of the level is cool imo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

OP isn't telling us about the save state he made before making this thread, in case he gets absolutely dunked on

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

OP isn't telling us about the save state he made before making this thread, in case he gets absolutely dunked on

I wish

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
man YOU try and beat battletoads otherwise

You know the infinite lives Game Genie code didn't actually give infinite lives? Learned it the hard way at thirteen

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Save states? No, destroy states!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

ElectricSheep posted:

man YOU try and beat battletoads otherwise

:colbert: Will try this later

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
How do you feel about tool assisted runs op?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
give us a trip report

of frustration

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my dog died im sad posted:

i think he'll ask if he needs your help

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

not a checkbox poll, op is a coward

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
OP do you specifically mean emulator-based save states beyond a game's built in checkpoints/saves? Or any method of play other than Ironman?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

my dog died im sad posted:

They're very cool. I actually should check out TASvideos again, it's been a while.

ElectricSheep posted:

give us a trip report

of frustration

Good idea

gently caress SNEEP posted:

not a checkbox poll, op is a coward

Sometimes we're all cowards

Meme Poker Party posted:

OP do you specifically mean emulator-based save states beyond a game's built in checkpoints/saves? Or any method of play other than Ironman?

Emulation ye

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I got owned by the hoverbikes, again, but I'll do it!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I play games on the OG hardware so no save states but if you're playing a lot of NES games like Ghost'n'Goblins it's really not that big of a deal because they're often extremely direct arcade adaptations that are a million times harder than the originals because you can't buy continues with quarters like the arcade versions.

So games like Ghosts'n'Goblins that would take the average player several continues to get through are suddenly way harder because you just can't use them anymore and have to do the entire game with zero continues. Otherwise the design and level layouts are basically exact

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i played through pokemon FireRed on a gba emulator and let me tell you what that game is way better at 1000% speed. i used save states also (THREAD TOPIC) but just as normal saves

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lmao if you think I'm playing through a huge chunk of Castlevania again because one of those wavy medusa heads caught me at the worst possible time OP it's not the 80s anymore I don't have to put up with that poo poo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lmao if you think I'm playing through Castlevania OP it's not the 80s anymore I don't have to put up with that poo poo

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
"Any %" speedruns are for people too lazy and talentless to figure out how to 100% a game in the fastest time.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Eh save states are fine half the dudes playing old rear end NES titles to relive their childhood or whatever have jobs and families and are without endless NEET time tables to master games.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Go try and write down and then reenter a guardian legend password and get back to me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lmao if you think I'm playing through a huge chunk of Castlevania again because one of those wavy medusa heads caught me at the worst possible time OP it's not the 80s anymore I don't have to put up with that poo poo

:goonsay: The Japanese version even had save slots. It ain't meant to be done in one sitting.

E: post is not edit

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

:goonsay: The Japanese version even had save slots.
:psyduck: why did they remove that from the overseas version

Re Battletoads: I got pretty far on the hoverbike section but died on the bottomless pits with the "!" :negative:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I replayed Zelda II on the NES a few months ago and I'm convinced the reason that game is being "reconsidered" is because of people playing it with save states now because in its original state it's intolerable rear end in a top hat.

The amount of back tracking if you die sucks enormous dingle

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Like yea the game is probably better and "not so bad" if you magically remove one of the single biggest flaws it had that has pissed people off for three decades

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

Re Battletoads: I got pretty far on the hoverbike section but died on the bottomless pits with the "!" :negative:

It was a disk system game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Re Battletoads: I can't believe that there is a hoverbike segment where the barriers don't even flash. They are just there and I can't even react to them in time

VIDEO GAMES

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Scary Owl posted:

Same reason a lot of japanese games were made more difficult when they were ported to America: American publishers didn't think videogames were suppose to be beatable.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I'm not ashamed to say that I severely abuse the rewind on the Switch NES and SNES emulators because I like those games but they are hard and I don't have time to git gud

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

gently caress yeah I'm a coward, I'm afraid of wasting any of the little me time I have between 3 jobs and a 4 year old

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Sometimes there's a game that's considered a classic that I never played growing up and it's Nintendo hard so I'll use save states because I don't have the time like when I was young to keep dying and starting from scratch.

That said, using save states at the beginning of levels or a really tough section is one thing but if you're save stating/rewinding every two seconds then why even bother playing the game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

most of those old games are completely unplayable without save states

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

most of those old games are completely unplayable without save states

They're playable, you just have to spend hours having it be unplayable until you're good enough/have memorized enough for it to be playable

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Should've saved state before you posted OP 'cause now you're getting the bad ending :twisted:

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If you paid for a game you should be able to play it however you want.

Wizard/God Mode, Ability to save where/whenever, should just come standard on all games.

if you insist on pretending you're part of some community that upholds the real rules of play, that's your fault.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Robin Williams posted:

If you paid for a game you should be able to play it however you want.

Wizard/God Mode, Ability to save where/whenever, should just come standard on all games.

What if I didn't buy it and have to delete it in 24 hours?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i agree op, real men save entire NATIONS

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

when you get to a certain stage in life you really don't have time to re-do things in video games

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
save states are for people who have poo poo to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

What, bitch console baby can't handle computer playerds one-upping him again?