Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SpartanIvy posted:

My grandad was a WWII vet and I'm early 30s. Aka from the generation of Steam(punk).

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HD DAD posted:

Boomer truly is a mindset. I have one guy who I went to high school with who, if you didn’t know him, you would take for the boomeriest of boomer men in their mid-60s if you just saw his social media posts. Except he’s 31. Just a slurry of “sleepy Biden stole the election”, photos of burnt steak, “BLM should be shot on sight”, and “wife bad” memes (he’s single).

It’s not even like this is a recent development. Even at 17 he talked like how a boomer retiree would to a teenaged waitress, thinking he was being charming. It was very bizarre lol

My older brother is like this - he's 42 but you'd think he's 70 given his refusal to use email and his weekly tantrums about random social issues/trends. Archie Bunker cosplay definitely got passed down to Gen X.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

Professor Shark posted:

I know people who had grandparents in WWII who are between the ages of 35-40, so it's possible he's just some weird Millenial/ Gen X

My eight year old cousin has a grandfather who was in WW2. His father-my uncle-was a surprise baby who was born when our grandfather was 43, while my uncle was in the Coast Guard and didn't get married until he was 40, and was 45 when his son was born.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
My favorite boomer is the guy who I used to get rides home from work with, and who'd point at every set of plane lights above us and say "Another drone! They're all over the place now and who knows what they're doing!" The fact that we live right near Logan International Airport and most days are under takeoff/landing approaches doesn't faze him one bit. He can tell they're drones and who knows what they're doing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Howard Beale posted:

My favorite boomer is the guy who I used to get rides home from work with, and who'd point at every set of plane lights above us and say "Another drone! They're all over the place now and who knows what they're doing!" The fact that we live right near Logan International Airport and most days are under takeoff/landing approaches doesn't faze him one bit. He can tell they're drones and who knows what they're doing.

He's talking about the passengers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Iamyourking posted:

My eight year old cousin has a grandfather who was in WW2. His father-my uncle-was a surprise baby who was born when our grandfather was 43, while my uncle was in the Coast Guard and didn't get married until he was 40, and was 45 when his son was born.

That is pretty impressive

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Aren't there still a few people around whose grandfathers fought in the civil war?
I know my dad (79 years old) his grandfather fought in Dubya dubya 1 and his dad, my grandfather fought in dubya dubya 2.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
This Op Ed from 1984 is peak boomer:

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/06/03/...n89yov317vG-4pY

:gary: Driving drunk is OK!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah i mean my grandfather was in ww2 sortof (artilleryman in Alaska) so i guess i'm steam generation

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah i mean my grandfather was in ww2 sortof (artilleryman in Alaska) so i guess i'm steam generation

I guess I am too. drat! I never even considered.

These newfangled DIEsel locomotives are crap. They'll never replace coal fired boilers.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Steam Generation gangtag when?

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

My father was 9 when WWII broke out in the UK, and I’m firmly a Millennial. I definitely skipped a generation or two.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
what is steam generation? it's hard to google for.....

My parents were in the actual baby boom in that both their dads came back from theaters of war and came in their wives. Parents ain't had me until they were 39 tho so I'm a mid-30s millennial.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Aren't there still a few people around whose grandfathers fought in the civil war?
I know my dad (79 years old) his grandfather fought in Dubya dubya 1 and his dad, my grandfather fought in dubya dubya 2.

President John Tyler, born in 1790, still has a living grandson.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
If we're talking about weirdly old grandparents, I'm "only" 50 and I had a grandfather born in 1869. But he wasn't in any wars that I know of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't a buncha boomers have kids when they got old during their second/third marriages, often to much younger women?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Guardian has been doing a thing this week where boomers and zoomers ask each other questions. Today, it's the boomers turn.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2021/aug/04/do-you-blame-us-for-house-prices-gen-zers-answer-baby-boomers-biggest-questions

Les thinks zoomers are loving too much to vote

quote:

Why do many of you seem reluctant to vote? Is hedonism more important than politics?
Les Clensy, 63, London

but it's prob virtual loving:

quote:

Is it true that zoomers prefer to engage in virtual sex rather than the real thing?
Anna, 71, Blue Mountains, Australia

(This is the same person that thinks we'll move underground to avoid the impact of climate change.)

Trisha just wants to air a personal grievance:

quote:

Why do zoomers find it impossible to thank or even acknowledge receiving money, gifts or cards when it is so easy on the internet?
Trisha Burgess, Chichester

Whole article is pretty amazing, recommend it.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 4, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

quote:

I think we will always be remembered as the first generation to experience the internet
oh my God, get off my lawn, you were barely even alive for away statuses and Worth1000

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

oh my God, get off my lawn, you were barely even alive for away statuses and Worth1000

Thank god SA is still keeping Web 1.0 alive for future generations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

it dont matter posted:

Guardian has been doing a thing this week where boomers and zoomers ask each other questions. Today, it's the boomers turn.

I like the one boomer tackling the hard-hitting issue of "Oi! Why don't you young blokes play snooker anymore?!"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol The very first answer to "What can Boomers do for you?" is "Please have empathy for younger people"

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

quote:

Why do zoomers find it impossible to thank or even acknowledge receiving money, gifts or cards when it is so easy on the internet?
Trisha Burgess, Chichester

Baggaley: I didn’t realise it was a zoomer trend. I always say my thank-yous.

Ayo Ogunleye: Maybe our thank-yous aren’t what they expect. Like, the other day, somebody sent me a gift for my graduation and my mum was like: “You have to show up at their house with flowers.” A thank-you text is not enough for them.

Baggaley: Where does that end? You give them flowers and then they give you flowers for giving them flowers?

Nylander: Maybe we all just need to say thank you to Trisha?

Scott-Turner: Thank you, Trisha.

I've had this argument with many. Why does thank you have to be so extravagant? Can't you just say thank you?

Thank you

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When I was a child in the 1980s parents tried to make you write thank you letters to everyone who ever sent you presents, and they even had branded letters you could buy to encourage kids, like scented strawberry shortcake letters with thank you on the top so they couldn’t use it for anything else.

Boomers are still super mad that their kids thought it was psychotic.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

learnincurve posted:

When I was a child in the 1980s parents tried to make you write thank you letters to everyone who ever sent you presents, and they even had branded letters you could buy to encourage kids, like scented strawberry shortcake letters with thank you on the top so they couldn’t use it for anything else.

you're just lazy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have a low-level distaste for anyone who tries to use snail mail to communicate with me. If someone somehow tried to send me a thank you letter, I'd just be annoyed that they didn't say thank you in a way that I'd actually see and read

Half the time parents would try to get you to write a thank you letter for something you weren't even thankful for and the whole thing was just pointless top to bottom

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

There's nothing wrong with making your kids take more than 20 seconds to show appreciation for gifts they've received. Particularly when it was sent from afar, somebody took their time and money to send it, they can take the time to say thank you appropriately. In fact it's a useful skill for later in life.

cheetah7071 posted:

I have a low-level distaste for anyone who tries to use snail mail to communicate with me. If someone somehow tried to send me a thank you letter, I'd just be annoyed that they didn't say thank you in a way that I'd actually see and read

Half the time parents would try to get you to write a thank you letter for something you weren't even thankful for and the whole thing was just pointless top to bottom

Expressing irritation or distaste with a friendly hand-written letter is some weird poo poo. I don't get some of you people.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

learnincurve posted:

That sounds like a cute little thing you do for grandma so she can put it on her fridge

Jesus some of you are so bitter

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It wasn’t 20 seconds, it was them dumping you at a table on Boxing Day and making you write endless notes for hours, often to people who had handed you a present and had already been thanked.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If it'd hand written now I have to interpret your handwriting, too. Just send an email or a text if you want to say thank you beyond the times you already said thank you in person

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think its nice to receive a handwritten letter, but the idea that a handwritten letter is somehow more appropriate or meaningful than simply saying thanks in person or via text or email is dumb boomer poo poo

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Thank you cards somehow passed me (Gen X) by. It was a little weird to me that my wife (Millennial) was brought up so into it and tried to make our 5 year old write them for his birthday and Christmas. Just call and say, "Thank you"?

What did stick with me from my Boomer mother was sending birthday cards. That seems more important to me than thank you cards. I did it for years for my family when I was living across the country, and it was just like putting an old hat on last year with Covid instead of our usual birthday get togethers.

While my wife reliably sends birthday cards to her direct family (mother, sister, father), she never sends her father's wife a birthday card. The woman is great, and as much as a grandmother to our child as my wife's mother, but my wife never sends her a card (*).

I have reliably sent her a card with gift card ever year that my wife and I have been married. My wife is oblivious to it.

(*) My wife's Boomer father has sent me maybe 3 birthday cards in the past 7 years....so I unfortunately get where it comes from.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

as a millennial, I would rather mail a letter than pick up a phone and call some auntie or cousin to thank them for a Taco Bell gift card

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My dad is the worst for wanting multiple thank yous.

I'll thank him for anything once. If he wants a second at some point, I'll say it sarcastically. A third ask get a solid "go gently caress yourself".

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I took it to mean those big thank you posts on things like Facebook where everyone can see, instead of a smaller more personal thank you like a phone call that can’t be posted online.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

This reminds me of when my mother suddenly wanted me to write to her cousin. She kept demanding that I write her a letter, with no other reason than “she’s your cousin!”

I have never met this person. I don’t know this person. This person has never written me. Add that to the simple fact that all my “cousins” are usually 20-30 years older than me, and I told her “no way in hell”.

I kept refusing because I didn’t want to write a complete loving stranger and after a week of arguing she finally gave up.

Blood relatives mean pretty much nothing to me since I grew up 8000mi away from all of them. I think she’s finally figured that out. But man, that Boomer obsession with blood relations makes NO sense to me at all.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Boomers are obsessed with family and doing things as a family, for no other reason except “we’re family”. It’s bizarre and uncomfortable.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"I've met our family. Inside's fine thanks"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

lol goons competing to see who can be as goony as possible on this page

The battle between "I resent people sending snail mail" and "I resent thank you cards" being edged out by "boomers invented families and it was a mistake"

those boomers, weirdly obsessed with interacting with family for some reason unknown to past or future generations :iiam:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

it dont matter posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2021/aug/04/do-you-blame-us-for-house-prices-gen-zers-answer-baby-boomers-biggest-questions

I suppose I'll have to go back and look, but somehow I don't think there's quite as much passive-aggressive sniping and begging the question from the zoomers' side.

e: ok tbf there's some of that, but less of it and questions presuming all boomers do [x] are often answered with a defensive "Well all zoomers do [y] so"

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Enfys posted:

lol goons competing to see who can be as goony as possible on this page

The battle between "I resent people sending snail mail" and "I resent thank you cards" being edged out by "boomers invented families and it was a mistake"

those boomers, weirdly obsessed with interacting with family for some reason unknown to past or future generations :iiam:

All boomers are racist and anti gay. Therefore, associating with your family, or thanking someone for a present is also racist and anti gay.

Be woke by never thanking people for ANYTHING regardless of what it is. And be never talking to, or associating with your family.