Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hasselblad posted:

Baron had no way of destroying spice production.

I think they meant that to affirm the Guild's ability to destroy Spice export.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

PeterWeller posted:

I think they meant that to affirm the Guild's ability to destroy Spice export.

Why would the Guild kill the export of the substance that they were so fundamentally reliant on?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
He is talking about Paul. Paul could destroy "a thing". The thing is Spice. Let's try to pay attention to the nomenclature we've all agreed upon.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Just reread the part where Jessica becomes a ghetto reverend mother. How did I miss the part where fremen were put on Salusa Secondus before it was made a prison planet?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

phasmid posted:

He is talking about Paul. Paul could destroy "a thing". The thing is Spice. Let's try to pay attention to the nomenclature we've all agreed upon.

yea was quoting Paul.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

SFX budget looking bad

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
butlerian jihad on track

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

DarkSol posted:

Why would the Guild kill the export of the substance that they were so fundamentally reliant on?

Not they would, just that they could.

They could kill the "legitimate" export of the Spice and still get it from the Fremen smugglers, though.

phasmid posted:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

yea was quoting Paul.

Yeah, it's Paul talking about his ability to destroy the entire Spice ecology. It can also apply to the Guild's power over Spice export.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Didn't this entire conversation begin with the question of what the baron gained for the cost of 60 years worth of spice mining?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

They could kill the "legitimate" export of the Spice and still get it from the Fremen smugglers, though.

Yeah, it's Paul talking about his ability to destroy the entire Spice ecology. It can also apply to the Guild's power over Spice export.

If the Fremen kill the entire ecology of spice they're also killing themselves, with the spice addiction all throughout their culture. But martyrdom is the reward of the faithful.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

But to what advantage that they don't already have over the Great Houses and the Emperor? The Guild already has a monopoly on Interstellar travel and could just put any force that opposed it to the interdict.

The Empire needs the Guild, but I don't think the inverse is true.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Blockading Arrakis or otherwise loving with the spice would make the guild an absolutely massive target for no benefit. They're very happy with the status quo - theyre enormously powerful, and the entire ruling class of the galaxy accepts their existence as inevitable, none of them would dream of openly challenging the guild.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Blockading Arrakis or otherwise loving with the spice would make the guild an absolutely massive target for no benefit. They're very happy with the status quo - theyre enormously powerful, and the entire ruling class of the galaxy accepts their existence as inevitable, none of them would dream of openly challenging the guild.

How would the blockading fleet even get to Arrakis without the Guild?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The whole setup of the story is that the Harkonnens, the Emperor, the Guild, and a bunch of aligned major houses have been massively stockpiling Spice in anticipation of an interruption in supply. That's how the Atreides know that Dune is a trap.

A temporary interruption is fine. It's the permanent destruction of production that's the crucial threat.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

DarkSol posted:

But to what advantage that they don't already have over the Great Houses and the Emperor? The Guild already has a monopoly on Interstellar travel and could just put any force that opposed it to the interdict.

The Empire needs the Guild, but I don't think the inverse is true.

Again, I'm just talking about their capabilities, not what they would do. I can't see a reason for them to disrupt the current status quo (as of the beginning of Dune). The more likely option is that they see the Fremen smugglers as a contingency against the Emperor and Baron's plot disrupting the current "legitimate" export system.

Automatic Slim posted:

If the Fremen kill the entire ecology of spice they're also killing themselves, with the spice addiction all throughout their culture. But martyrdom is the reward of the faithful.

Their culture will be preserved (poorly) by the Museum Fremen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It’s been a while since I’ve read the first book, but is it implied that Ix may already have created an artificial navigator at this point?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

david_a posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve read the first book, but is it implied that Ix may already have created an artificial navigator at this point?

no its pretty explicit that they only do so in response to Leto's Peace

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A target you say?
Who would attack the species that makes it possible to jump through space? I mean...how exactly would one do that?

Shake their fist at the heavens?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So what I'm hearing is "why doesn't the guild just collapse the galactic economy and let everyone starve so that they have to move to arrakis and mine the drat stuff themselves since they're only like ~0.00002% of the total population instead of living in luxury and exploring the stars and weighing in on human affairs on the interplanetary scale?"

Gee, I dunno. Maybe with all their prescience they just never considered doing that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

phasmid posted:

So what I'm hearing is "why doesn't the guild just collapse the galactic economy and let everyone starve so that they have to move to arrakis and mine the drat stuff themselves since they're only like ~0.00002% of the total population instead of living in luxury and exploring the stars and weighing in on human affairs on the interplanetary scale?"

Gee, I dunno. Maybe with all their prescience they just never considered doing that.

paul does call them out for using their prescience only to chart a safe course as being what prevented them from getting on his level, iirc

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Hodgepodge posted:

paul does call them out for using their prescience only to chart a safe course as being what prevented them from getting on his level, iirc

We can't all be Chosen.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

phasmid posted:

We can't all be Chosen.

paul conquered the universe, but the guilders got even higher on space drugs. who is to say who chose the better path.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hasselblad posted:

Didn't this entire conversation begin with the question of what the baron gained for the cost of 60 years worth of spice mining?

Can't put a price on kanly

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blood Boils posted:

Can't put a price on kanly

I like how kanly is this long term vendetta war of assassins but also kanly is something you can just call out when you really want to knife fight one of your fellow nobles.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hasselblad posted:

A target you say?
Who would attack the species that makes it possible to jump through space? I mean...how exactly would one do that?

Shake their fist at the heavens?

Call them dicks and when they land stick a potato in their exhaust port

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is why they have those Guild Janitors following them around in the Lynch movie.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

quote:

You're not gonna fall for the potato in the exhaust port? It should be more natural, brother. It should flow out, like this - "Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no potato in my exhaust port!"

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Is it still a secret of who's playing Feyd in the movie?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Sorry to break it to you

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

the story of a man, doomed to be but the shadow of another

by which i mean sting, i have no idea who signed up to do it tho

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Hodgepodge posted:

the story of a man, doomed to be but the shadow of another

by which i mean sting, i have no idea who signed up to do it tho

It’d rule if it was just sting again.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Lil Nas X.

Actually that’d rule, I’d watch that. (My money’s on Bill Skarsgard, but I doubt he’s even in Part 1 so actually nobody.)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Michael Cera as Count Fenring.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Have one of Sting’s kids do it, like that one lady who is on Snowpiercer

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Bring back Jack Gleeson to acting and have him tone down on the Joffrey-ness, that's basically how I imagined Feyd.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My suggestion for a more Timotheé Chalamet equivalent would be Tom Holland.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Nicolas motherfucking Cage.

EDIT: I meant that as a joke but he'd be a perfect Leto II.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

david_a posted:

The only mention of Ix in the main text:

quote:

"Few products escape the CHOAM touch," the Duke said. "Logs, donkeys, horses, cows, lumber, dung, sharks, whale fur -- the most prosaic and the most exotic . . . even our poor pundi rice from Caladan. Anything the Guild will transport, the art forms of Ecaz, the machines of Richesse and Ix. But all fades before melange. A handful of spice will buy a home on Tupile. It cannot be manufactured, it must be mined on Arrakis. It is unique and it has true geriatric properties."

and then a couple of references in the appendices.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Nicholas Hoult
Cole Mohr
Timothée Chalamet with a goatee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I believe it's been confirmed that Feyd is not in Part 1.