Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/kamoihito/status/1422557934328766473

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yessss

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Played a milia in 6 games and only saw 1 haircar.
Felt bad for the guy

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I had some matches against a milia and a chipp who both had big strong combos memorized but fell apart as soon as I started dodging the setups.

Also some matches against a Zato and Ky that felt somewhere between pretty evenly matched and like I was a practice dummy for corner carry/pressure. Eventually I worked out how to better escape some serious Zato pressure but I'm not consistent with it yet. The Ky felt like he was giving up on combos and started teaching me how to counter what was blowing me up by just spamming what had been working.

In most of those matches fancy and varied I-no aerial antics are what saved my rear end and evetually turned the tide in my favor. Except the zato matches where there were gaps to stroke out of massive eddie pressure and get off some counter strings, and hs sultry perfoemance to keep him out of the air.. Trying to play it safe and just block for days just kept landing in never ending corner pressure. But consistently poking eddie and stroking under stuff led to deranking a couppe floor 7 zatos.

Feed me Kys, I need to learn how to better fight this quick all-rounder.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Glagha posted:

I have one slightly less obvious critique but maybe you already know it, because it's a problem I see with a lot of players. You airdash in way too much and too obviously without varying your approach. You have this habit of taking like two steps back, jumping up and airdashing in and the match started turning against you when Goldlewis noticed and started antiairing you reliably.

One of the obvious mistakes I was talking about making, actually, (edit: Which it occurs to me now might've only been obvious to me) was accidental jumping. I did it at least twice in that match and once I'm up there I'm like "poo poo I didn't mean to jump uhhh" and just end up airdashing because I don't know what else to do at that point. The whale in that match was also accidental. You may thinking to yourself "How do you accidentally whale?" and the answer is "I couldn't decide if I wanted to do 2S or 5S and when I do 5S I have a habit of holding the stick forward so it's technically 6S."

In general, my execution is a mess. I regularly do things like accidental dolphins because of my aforementioned habit of my 5S actually being 6S, j.K when I meant to do Overhead Kiss, or j.H when I meant to do orca because I put in an accidental up input in the middle. How I got to the point of being able to challenge Celestial like this I can only attribute to people being really bad at this game. I suspect these problems would at least partially go away if I wasn't using a thumbstick but this 360 controller is what I have and so all my muscle memory for fighting games since SFIV came out is thumbsticks. I spend a decent amount of time in training working on more clean, intentional inputs but it always falls apart in actual matches.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 3, 2021

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

unimportantguy posted:

One of the obvious mistakes I was talking about making, actually, (edit: Which it occurs to me now might've only been obvious to me) was accidental jumping. I did it at least twice in that match and once I'm up there I'm like "poo poo I didn't mean to jump uhhh" and just end up airdashing because I don't know what else to do at that point. The whale in that match was also accidental. You may thinking to yourself "How do you accidentally whale?" and the answer is "I couldn't decide if I wanted to do 2S or 5S and when I do 5S I have a habit of holding the stick forward so it's technically 6S."

In general, my execution is a mess. I regularly do things like accidental dolphins because of my aforementioned habit of my 5S actually being 6S, j.K when I meant to do Overhead Kiss, or j.H when I meant to do orca because I put in an accidental up input in the middle. How I got to the point of being able to challenge Celestial like this I can only attribute to people being really bad at this game. I suspect these problems would at least partially go away if I wasn't using a thumbstick but this 360 controller is what I have and so all my muscle memory for fighting games since SFIV came out is thumbsticks. I spend a decent amount of time in training working on more clean, intentional inputs but it always falls apart in actual matches.

I think execution on a thumbstick is always going to be a little sloppy / very challenging to get clean. D-pad is usually what like 99.9% of pad players use but I completely understand the situation with the 360 pad (I've got one myself and know how un-usable that thing is).

I'm pretty impressed you made it to Celestial playing on a 360 pad with thumbstick. I used to play sf4 on a 360 pad and it was a nightmare, stuck with charge characters cuz quarter circle chars always ran into accidental jumping issues.

Try a pad w/ a usable d-pad (newer xbox ones, hori fighting pro, ps4 pads), it's a lot easier to avoid the 5S/6S issue since neutral on a dpad doesn't rely on a deadzone like the thumbstick.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Or be cool like me and play on keyboard. :smug:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

unimportantguy posted:

Thumbstick stuff is always gonna be a problem but also clean execution is overrated. I've had VIP the past couple months and I can't do heat knuckle to the left more than half the time so don't let your dreams be dreams. You can honestly make a ton of mistakes and accidental moves and get away with it so long as you've got good fundamentals and outthink your opponent.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Glagha posted:

Thumbstick stuff is always gonna be a problem but also clean execution is overrated. I've had VIP the past couple months and I can't do heat knuckle to the left more than half the time so don't let your dreams be dreams. You can honestly make a ton of mistakes and accidental moves and get away with it so long as you've got good fundamentals and outthink your opponent.

I think execution is honestly the thing holding me back the most tbh. A majority of the time when I go for Hammerfall PRC Pot Buster I end up getting 6P or jumping, and a lot of my karas end up turning into raw 6K which I don't react to fast enough to cancel into something safe. I also have a shitload of trouble doing reversal super where I get wakeup Garuda constantly, and also most of my RRC confirms turn into 2H nothing because I didn't do the 6 motion for heat.

And even with that I have been pretty comfortably sitting in floor 10 but it's really frustrating when I mess up this poo poo constantly.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I really appreciate how consistently friendly and encouraging this thread is. It occurs to me that I could probably use my Switch Pro Controller, which both has a nicer dpad and isn't a 15-year-old controller with a 15-year-old left thumbstick. Why this didn't occur to me until now I don't know, but this thread made me remember it so thanks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I use a switch pro thumb stick. Not celestial but to the point where I can easily get to the challenge, I generally avoid it nowadays cause the constant floor moving annoys the poo poo the out of me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

FunkyFjord posted:

I had some matches against a milia and a chipp who both had big strong combos memorized but fell apart as soon as I started dodging the setups.

Also some matches against a Zato and Ky that felt somewhere between pretty evenly matched and like I was a practice dummy for corner carry/pressure. Eventually I worked out how to better escape some serious Zato pressure but I'm not consistent with it yet. The Ky felt like he was giving up on combos and started teaching me how to counter what was blowing me up by just spamming what had been working.

In most of those matches fancy and varied I-no aerial antics are what saved my rear end and evetually turned the tide in my favor. Except the zato matches where there were gaps to stroke out of massive eddie pressure and get off some counter strings, and hs sultry perfoemance to keep him out of the air.. Trying to play it safe and just block for days just kept landing in never ending corner pressure. But consistently poking eddie and stroking under stuff led to deranking a couppe floor 7 zatos.

Feed me Kys, I need to learn how to better fight this quick all-rounder.

Ky is minus after every normal except for 6K (a slow roundhouse kick). He's also minus after every special move except the flippy kick when crouch blocked or in shock state. So basically try not to let him steal turns.

Every stun edge is also CH state on recovery, so if the opponent is careless with those you should have your best combo ready to go

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stun Edge requires you to jump up and over, which pretty much locks you into an expected state that Ky can take advantage of. That’s pretty easy to punish.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
What does Goldlewis do against Anji? After I've spent security meter my defensive Plan B is a counterhit callout, and Anji's whole thing is not getting hit by that

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I'm not at my computer to check right now but I'm reasonably sure you could wait for a Fuujin and then use the faster Behemoth Typhoons after blocking the low or overhead follows, or just as a counter to the hop if he does that. Anji tends to be pretty minus on block.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Anyone having trouble connecting to network in the PC version? I was playing a friend in a room and then we both suddenly got booted and couldn't connect to online features at all. Restarting the game didn't fix the problem and Steam can't even sync with cloud files either.

E: nvm restarting Steam fixed it.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 4, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

What does Goldlewis do against Anji? After I've spent security meter my defensive Plan B is a counterhit callout, and Anji's whole thing is not getting hit by that

You shouldn't be spending security meter in neutral anyways as Goldlewis except to call out stuff like projectiles or eddie-summons from fullscreen with the gun. Both security moves are extremely slow to start up and give the enemy time to airdash in from really far away and combo you if they react.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Anyone having trouble connecting to network in the PC version? I was playing a friend in a room and then we both suddenly got booted and couldn't connect to online features at all. Restarting the game didn't fix the problem and Steam can't even sync with cloud files either.

E: nvm restarting Steam fixed it.

Steam has a weekly maintenance period where there's 5-10 minutes of network downtime every tuesday at 4pm PST / 7pm EST.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

Played a milia in 6 games and only saw 1 haircar.
Felt bad for the guy

Ah, I call it “the boat”

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

On Goldlewis I'm not even entirely sure what his drone attack is for. Oki, I guess? It's too slow for anything else.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

unimportantguy posted:

On Goldlewis I'm not even entirely sure what his drone attack is for. Oki, I guess? It's too slow for anything else.

The security meter is so pointless and gimps his moves that arent even great

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I have a history of trying to get into fighting games and dropping them when I realize I don't have it in me to sit in training mode and drill inputs and combo timing for hours and hours. I picked up Strive anyway a week or two ago and have been dicking around with Potemkin due to his huge idiot normals that even a baby can land some damage with, and having no confidence in moving around the screen with anybody else with actual movement options. I'm hovering between floors 6 and 7 mostly atm, getting smacked around by Rams pressing buttons and any Chipp or Millia with solid mixups but mostly having fun.

I don't really have any questions I guess, I just felt like sharing that Strive, so far anyway, is doing a better job than any of the other games I've played at keeping me playing at least an hour every day or two. Good online helps, I suppose; serendipitous timing that I would finally get a decent internet connection less than a month after Strive comes out.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Strive is good and fun. Glad you're having a good time. :hai:

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 4, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

unimportantguy posted:

Yes it's for oki. Too slow to use after a throw but you can use it after some of your other hard knockdowns. The drone moves so slowly that if you're outside of the corner you may have to actually do a meaty 5p or something to keep them in hitstun long enough for it to reach them while you dash up and do your real oki mixup stuff (c.S into behemoth high/low). If you get a really big opening you can occasionally use it in neutral and then just walk behind it to try and get in / take some screen space (while guarding the air with j.S so they don't just jump it), but it's really slow and punishable so don't do it too much.
The drone explosion also visually covers up your character so it's harder for your opponent to block some oki mixups. Laser super does the same.

Real hurthling! posted:

The security meter is so pointless and gimps his moves that arent even great

It feels like the only reason security meter exists is to stop Goldlewis from getting a free level 3 drone or laser super off of a fullscreen minigun knockdown. Both specials are so niche in neutral that even if I had infinite meter I wouldn't want to use them much more often than I already do.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 4, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I made a very dumb video because I'm an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdwMVbSptNY

This only took like three hours.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

I knew what was coming but I still laughed, good job.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

This provided me a laugh and a break from deleting hosed replays. Thank you.

(Seriously this replay bug sucks and I hope we hear something from ArcSys about a patch for it soon. In 3 hours of play tonight I got only one replay saved properly, and it wasn't even an interesting one.)

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 4, 2021

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Natural 20 posted:

lol

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I was watching Rooflemonger's Leo combo video and at 20 seconds there's a mention that 6K combos into flash kick if you charge immediately. When I first saw that I thought "Cool, this will help me learn the fastest possible charge timing." I'm having some real problems getting this down. At first when I would try I would go from 6 to 3 as the smallest motion to start the charge but that would cause a QCF when I tried to do the flash kick, and also taught me that you don't need the 2 in 236 which isn't much of a help because if I managed to learn one drat thing in fighting games it's to do quarter circles in my sleep. I looked at the video and he charges at 1, so I've been getting closer with that but I'm still not able to get the flash kick fast enough that it counts as a combo. Honestly with how long it feels like it takes to charge I wouldn't believe this is possible if not for video evidence. At least I figured out that the H flash kick is being used here over 236S because it gives the hard knockdown.

E: I looked around on the Strive resource hub Discord and they recommended buffering the 6K and starting the charge beforehand and I managed it in like two tries, LOL. Part of my problem was that I was just trying to do 6K > DP instead of 5K > 6K > DP. It's useful to know but not in the way I was hoping.

Akett fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 5, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, the gap between floor 7 and 8 is seriously noticeable. I'm not sure what it is, though.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.
on floor 8 people block occasionally

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Emphasis on "occasionally" there. I still see plenty of people that never block at all as high as floor 9.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The celestial reset has helped shake things up too with the domino effect of shifting players down

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Akett posted:

E: I looked around on the Strive resource hub Discord and they recommended buffering the 6K and starting the charge beforehand and I managed it in like two tries, LOL. Part of my problem was that I was just trying to do 6K > DP instead of 5K > 6K > DP. It's useful to know but not in the way I was hoping.

yah this is the trick. i know potemkin had to do this in xrd for 6K->hammerfall loops, i dunno if he needs to do it in strive since charge times are so fast and his 6K and 6H have a poo poo load of startup.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

fortocero posted:

on floor 8 people block occasionally

9 is where I'm seeing new blockstrings. I can win 1 of 3 a few times but I eventually always get kicked to 8 and maybe 7 if I'm playing tilted.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

My floor has gotten way less consistent. Before the reset I was mostly floor 10, maybe down to 9 for a while if I ran into a couple badasses in a row. Now I'm wildly bouncing between 8, 9, and 10, and occasionally popping the Celestial challenge. I feel like I'm learning a lot more and having a lot of fun, but the constant interruptions to my play with floor changes are kind of annoying.

Edit: y'know what while I'm here lemme ask a question. Given the issues I've been having with sloppy execution, and knowing I grew up playing fighting games mostly in arcades, I've been thinking about getting an arcade stick. Is this a good idea? Can anyone recommend me some good ones?

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 5, 2021

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.
having a stick owns but plenty of people have solid execution on pad as well, so I wouldn't be thinking of it as a necessary thing to get. there's a bit of a learning curve to it also, and you'll have different problems executing for a little while. that being said I'll never go back to playing on pad. Good options include Qanba, Hori, and some others. You could also go for a Hitbox and get Real Precise with it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The advice I was given (elsewhere) was along the lines of "If you've never used an arcade stick before, stick with d-pad because you probably have years of experience and thus muscle memory with using a controller in other games already, and the path from there to the specific movements necessary for fighting games is shorter than re-learning an entirely new input method." Make of that what you will in relation to your own experience.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If you have experience with pad already then you probably should just buy a good pad instead.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I got frustrated with pad as the dpad was blistering my thumbs and felt like arcade stick would be more accurate so I switched over a while back. Stick has its own execution issues though and I just picked up hitbox last week and am liking it a ton so far - am way more accurate with double qcf motions and dropping inputs a lot less. The transition has been pretty easy for me as well, since the right hand is pretty much the same as stick and the left hand is pretty familiar if you play any wasd + space to jump games.

If you're willing to spend the money and some effort I recommend hitbox, I think it's definitely the best tool for fighting games - no reason to get a stick these days outside of wanting to have that familiarity in case you play at an arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I just wish they would hurry up and come out with a fighting pad for the PS5, the PS5 controller isn't the worst but I miss using my Fighting Commander. (I know I could just install the PS4 version but :( )