Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chairman Capone posted:

Obviously the model home in Arrested Development.

Related to that, I remember trying to figure out just how Lucille's apartment layout could work given it's both across the hallway from and connected to Lucille 2's apartment and imagining it as some kind of House of Leaves scenario.

And you'll have pop pop in the attic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cojawfee posted:

And you'll have pop pop in the attic.

What? The mere fact you call making love "pop pop" tells me you're not ready.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkB1ZE_ewEM

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doogie Howser is one of those shows that is referenced a lot, but I've never actually seen anyone talk about the actual content. Looking at the wikipedia page it sounds pretty serious in tone, and that looks like a Disney channel show so I dunno.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Could be the last apartment in the hall on each side and they meet like an L and J shape?

I forget all the details that I considered at the time but I think the balconies made it impossible, like they'd have to bend around each other four-dimensionally. It's one of those things that it took me a while to notice, but it stuck in my mind ever since given Arrested Development was usually a show that took those kinds of minute details into consideration.

Also, just writing this out makes me nostalgic for the old days of extremely detailed Arrested Development discussions and speculation, back before season 4 came out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Doogie Howser is one of those shows that is referenced a lot, but I've never actually seen anyone talk about the actual content. Looking at the wikipedia page it sounds pretty serious in tone, and that looks like a Disney channel show so I dunno.

It was a dramedy

https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1422825829189496833

This is quite the roster of before-they-were-famous guest stars

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

It was a dramedy

https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1422825829189496833

This is quite the roster of before-they-were-famous guest stars

I haven't watched Miami Vice since the 80's, and only one I recalled was Phil Collins. Biggest shock in that list? Leonard Cohen and Miles Davis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm rounding the corner of Season 6 into Season 7 of my Malcolm in the Middle rewatch and what strikes me is just how much of this show I remember. Like, there hasn't been an episode yet that has seemed completely unfamiliar to me even though I wouldn't have been able to recall specifics ahead of time.

I'm pretty sure I didn't watch them in syndication, so most episodes I would have only saw once, when they originally aired.

I guess that's the "pre smartphone" effect. Hell, I didn't even get my first laptop till 2006. Unless I was reading a book or a magazine, what I was watching would have had my undivided attention.

Anyways, quality remained consistently high throughout the run even if they did dip into the cartoon level setups a bit more later. One thing I have noticed though it's it seems like the plots are more separate than they used to be between family members, I wonder if that was some sort of shooting hurdle they were working with. Probably cost cutting after so many years.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I'm rounding the corner of Season 6 into Season 7 of my Malcolm in the Middle rewatch and what strikes me is just how much of this show I remember. Like, there hasn't been an episode yet that has seemed completely unfamiliar to me even though I wouldn't have been able to recall specifics ahead of time.

I'm pretty sure I didn't watch them in syndication, so most episodes I would have only saw once, when they originally aired.

I guess that's the "pre smartphone" effect. Hell, I didn't even get my first laptop till 2006. Unless I was reading a book or a magazine, what I was watching would have had my undivided attention.

Anyways, quality remained consistently high throughout the run even if they did dip into the cartoon level setups a bit more later. One thing I have noticed though it's it seems like the plots are more separate than they used to be between family members, I wonder if that was some sort of shooting hurdle they were working with. Probably cost cutting after so many years.

I'm only on season 3, but same. No idea if it'll last all the way to the last season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure I didn't watch them in syndication, so most episodes I would have only saw once, when they originally aired

I'm nearly done with season 2 and completely agree. Every episode to me seeks like a stone cold classic that's etched in my memory.

I watched it as it aired in Australia in wildly inconsistent timeslots and nights and I still remember it (although, being only 2 seasons in, the show was still at its peak popularity and was probably in the one timeslot. Wednesdays at 8 if I recall!). I also have a suspicion this was a show I VCR'd and rewatched.

Assume you guys are watching it on Hulu? I was always under the impression that the lack of DVD and streaming presence of the show was due to the music rights. Is the They Might Be Giants score present or did they dub it with generic stuff?

Edit: typos. I really need to stop posting right before bed as I fall asleep halfway through

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 4, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hulu and the music is all intact (at least as far as I've been able to tell). But yeah, the music is why it hasn't had a US release on disc. I wonder how they managed to have rights for streaming but not physical sales when it's usually the reverse that's true.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I watched Doogie on and off when I was a kid and it was wild when I revisited it and saw that the entire goddamn hospital is complicit in the sexual harassment of a teenage boy in the pilot episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hakkesshu posted:

I remember it as being a slightly more serious sitcom, like blackish episodes that address social issues. I remember when he got robbed or something and bought a gun, then changed his mind about it, i forget why, he got spooked and pointed it at his mom or something maybe?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Did anyone see The Watch, based on the books by Terry Pratchett? How is it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It basically did its own thing.

If you are willing to let go of the books and embrace something whacky and weird, then I think it's a solid watch.

If you are likely to stew the whole time that they basically are using things from the books in name only, then stay away.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Daniel Radcliffe does some Tom Holland Umbrella-level poo poo in the latest Miracle Workers and it rules. This season is so good

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It basically did its own thing.

If you are willing to let go of the books and embrace something whacky and weird, then I think it's a solid watch.

If you are likely to stew the whole time that they basically are using things from the books in name only, then stay away.

I haven't read the books. I want to, but haven't gotten started yet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1423039293564628994?s=21

but why

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

LoL he's an an EP. Sorry kid, the game was rigged from the start.

https://twitter.com/ericeidelstein/status/1421912973828837380

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Who in the gently caress

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, the (Three Busy) Debras were on this week's Miracle Workers.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 5, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Before the picture loaded I thought they meant Michael Richards and was even more confused.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

Who in the gently caress

Dipped into the Jeopardy thread to find that Executive Producer Empty Suit awarding the job to himself was a long-standing conspiracy:

Porfiriato posted:

I was listening to the latest episode of Ken's podcast Omnibus Project and they were talking about how the next Dalai Lama is picked. There's a regent who oversees the search, and his co-host asked, 'is it ever a situation where the assistant to the Dalai Lama, in the process of searching for the Dalai Lama, discovers it's him?'

To which Ken replied, "you mean like Dick Cheney?" and then after a quick chuckle added, "...or Mike Richards?" and then immediately moved on with the conversation.

:tinfoil:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not only does he seem like a terrible uninteresting pick, but it also completely kills any enthusiasm I had for watching post-Trebek Jeopardy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

IRQ posted:

I remember it as being a slightly more serious sitcom, like blackish episodes that address social issues. I remember when he got robbed or something and bought a gun, then changed his mind about it, i forget why, he got spooked and pointed it at his mom or something maybe?
Nope he did target practice and had PTSD flashbacks to all the GSWs he treated in the ER

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5u4fdt

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I hope Jeopardy ratings tank and it goes off the air because this is a loving abomination :colbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

wow not even jeopardy is exempt from the cartoonishly evil corruption of our age

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd not been watching any of the Jeopardy guest hosts but Reading Rainbow was a big deal for me growing up and I tuned in only for Levar Burton after hearing that he got his shot after the internet begged for it. I might get some hate for it, but he was unfortunately really disappointing. I love the guy but I don't think it was meant to be for him. I don't know who is the right pick but I'm betting it ain't a guy that's already in charge of poo poo there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

I'd not been watching any of the Jeopardy guest hosts but Reading Rainbow was a big deal for me growing up and I tuned in only for Levar Burton after hearing that he got his shot after the internet begged for it. I might get some hate for it, but he was unfortunately really disappointing. I love the guy but I don't think it was meant to be for him. I don't know who is the right pick but I'm betting it ain't a guy that's already in charge of poo poo there.

Levar Burton was just too sedate for jeopardy. It’s like Bob Ross. Great host for something else but just completely the wrong vibe for a competitive show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Even if you don’t pick Burton the obvious choice really seemed like Ken Jennings. He’s boring and safe, but he has a following and obviously he’s super familiar with being on the show since he’s a former champion and he’s been guest-hosting for a while now.

I watched the show pretty religiously until Trebek died and I don’t know who the hell Whitey McProducer-gently caress is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Steve Zahn's character seemed to be a piece of poo poo in the dinner conversation

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
he looks like someone i would never vote for

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Richards was better at it than several of the guests. I would have liked Buzzy.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

armond is not evil he is a nice but put upon man

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Flip Pete and the Coaches Wife. She's the goddamn worst kind of lib and I die laughing every time she talks about sex shaming and white guy persecution.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The biggest sin imo is lumping Olivia and Paula together. Paula isn't evil.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe she’s neutralizing the evil.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

First teaser for the new season of American Crime Story, on the Clinton impeachment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrhBHuuR9U

Very meta that it's based on a book by Jeffrey Toobin.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
See is really fuckin' cool. Glad to hear Jonathan Tropper will be involved more, that should make it even more fun.

Took me forever to figure out that Haniwa is Carly from Travelers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Jeopardy should be hosted by the greatest player of all time: IBM's Watson. :psylon: