Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Let's not sugarcoat it, there have been a lot of things in the last ~4 years that have torn families apart. Trump, Q-Anon, Anti-Vax groups, and probably another dozen things I'm forgetting.

Have you, personally, lost any friends or family members due to this?

I've posted about him in the Trump and Covid threads, but my brother in law (Married to my wife's sister) has gone completely insane over the last year. He's a completely different person.

And it all started with the beans.

Remember last summer? More specifically, do you remember GOYA BEANS? It's a minor blip given all the other insanity going on, but the CEO of Goya (now former CEO) praised Trump and conservatives decided that the best use of their time and money was to buy as much Goya stuff as they could. My BiL owns a small grocery store and decided to devote his entire International section (half a shelf) to Goya. This began a cascade of insanity, with him proudly talking about posting on TheDonald.win, covering his store in Trump merchandise and signage, and carrying a gun and mini constitution at all times.

As you can guess, he's just gotten worse since then. He's now fully anti-vax, anti-mask, and has cut me out of his life completely for being a "commie".

Although none of this is very funny and it stresses my wife out, it is objectively a little bit funny to see a man go completely insane over things like beans with no signs of slowing down any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
One of my uncles became 110% a fox news sunglasses in a truck comments guy that won't shut the gently caress up about aliens and ufos but not in a cool or funny way

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i dont use the term crazy to describe ppl really since its not much different than the R word if you actually care about mental health

but yes there are many contentious things going on in the world and i dont / didnt associate with people that have nearly entirely homogenous views as i

doubtlessly people that think differently than i have opinions on me wearing a mask and brightly signaling my adoration for things dark and gay

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
so are goya bean still big movers at his store?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Statutory Ape posted:

i dont use the term crazy to describe ppl really since its not much different than the R word if you actually care about mental health

what are some words we can use for nominally normally-brained people who act like they don't have one. because really when you think about it, moron, idiot, r-word, crazy, etc etc are all derogatory towards people who didn't have a choice in the matter

we can say dumbfuck i guess

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Mozi posted:

so are goya bean still big movers at his store?

I don't think anything is a big mover at his store, judging by recent yelp reviews.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Statutory Ape posted:

but yes there are many contentious things going on in the world and i dont / didnt associate with people that have nearly entirely homogenous views as i

doubtlessly people that think differently than i have opinions on me wearing a mask and brightly signaling my adoration for things dark and gay

Edited the title to reflect this.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

Let's not sugarcoat it, there have been a lot of things in the last ~4 years that have torn families apart. Trump, Q-Anon, Anti-Vax groups, and probably another dozen things I'm forgetting.

Have you, personally, lost any friends or family members due to this?

I've posted about him in the Trump and Covid threads, but my brother in law (Married to my wife's sister) has gone completely insane over the last year. He's a completely different person.

And it all started with the beans.

Remember last summer? More specifically, do you remember GOYA BEANS? It's a minor blip given all the other insanity going on, but the CEO of Goya (now former CEO) praised Trump and conservatives decided that the best use of their time and money was to buy as much Goya stuff as they could. My BiL owns a small grocery store and decided to devote his entire International section (half a shelf) to Goya. This began a cascade of insanity, with him proudly talking about posting on TheDonald.win, covering his store in Trump merchandise and signage, and carrying a gun and mini constitution at all times.

As you can guess, he's just gotten worse since then. He's now fully anti-vax, anti-mask, and has cut me out of his life completely for being a "commie".

Although none of this is very funny and it stresses my wife out, it is objectively a little bit funny to see a man go completely insane over things like beans with no signs of slowing down any time soon.

was he right about the commie part tho

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mozi posted:

what are some words we can use for nominally normally-brained people who act like they don't have one. because really when you think about it, moron, idiot, r-word, crazy, etc etc are all derogatory towards people who didn't have a choice in the matter

we can say dumbfuck i guess

well, when you refer to another parties mental state as such it implies that u are somewhat unerringly correct in whatever u believe

i would personally highlight the conflicts themselves and the frusterations & consequences of it, and maybe start to consider or discuss some of the root causes like fear, ignorance, a right wing propaganda machine that inflicts untold damage by manipulating ppl

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

A Fancy Hat posted:

Edited the title to reflect this.

thats cool tbh, fwiw it was kind of an idle observation and i didnt really think you were a shitbag for it or whatever

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
well if you want to be serious, my own (dumbfuck) view is that about 20% of the people out there care about and empathize with others and would sacrifice for the common good, 20% of people are straight up selfish evil bastards, and the other 60% are basically extremely lazy and don't want to think about a lot and just want to get through the day. so now the evil people are making up the reality for the lazy people and the good people are going 'this isn't great but we gotta play by the rules'

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

my dad *still* won't shut the gently caress up about obama and gets all of his news 10 google pages down because all of the mainstream news sites are owned by the liberals. every time i see him he's watching some conspiracy video about stupid bullshit that fits his worldview and he proudly declares that they got him this time, obama's going to prison this time for sure, for the heinous crime of being black, a democrat, and the president at the same time. he also writes TRUMP WON on dollar bills with sharpie markers. he's a loving idiot and it's embarrassing that i have half his genes.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Not my relative but I believe this is a 100% accurate series of events that the goon who made this post experienced.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

TSM has a very crazy uncle, heres the besy x-mas story EVER..

My uncle lived on a HUGE farm in Kentucky. He HAD lots of cattle. He also like to drink. He also worked in construction not really a side job he did more construction and kept cows for food.

Oh yeah, he ALSO likes high powered rifles and assault rifles, he has MANY.

And I need to mention the Bulldozer he has as well, can anyone see where this is going?

This bulldozer was some old army surplus rickedy shitbox contraption of death, with none of the modern day saftey features on those nowadays, and if there was some kind of saftey device he had it removed one way or another.

So there we all were at his farm for christmas, since he did have the largest home to comfortably hold all the relatives at once and in comfort. Well, granny made her "special" egg nog, and as she was getting on in years sometimes forgets things and apparently as she made the egg nog a few days ahead of time, she would forget if she added any alcohol, and thus kept adding burbon to the eggnog. In short she had made egg-rocket fuel, or eggNOOOOOOOGGGGG as it is refered to by the family to this day.

Well everyone proceeded to get tore down christmas family style and my uncle gets rowdy when he gets drunk.

So he goes and gets out his sks, which he had gone and purchased all of the illegal perts needed to make it a select fire, fully automatic, assault rifle.

He goes out to the edge of the field and begins emptying 30 round magazines into the cows cloest to him, right in the loving face and or side and or necks.

He went out with about 8 magazines and wound up killing 8 and wounding 6.

IT GETS BETTER.

He then proceeded to get on the loving bulldozer and proceeded to run over, mash, and pretty much make hamburgers right there in the field, WHILE YOU WAIT.

He was screaming about bulldozing them goddamn cows and bull dozing bulls and laughing maniacly, he then decided it would be cool to go and basically do "donuts" or spin the treads of the bulldozer over the smashed shot carcases of the recently living cows.

Eventually he got tired/passed out and fell off the bull dozer, narrowly escaping his own death and the bulldozer plowed into a 150+ year old oak tree, where it grunted and strained aginst the tree. My other uncle ran out to turn the dozer off and we dragged my drunken passed out uncle covered in cow blood and mud into the garage where they hosed him off.

LUCKILY he lived far enough out in the country no law enforcement people were called and luckily no one was loving killed.

Everyone was too drunk to eat dinner, and we all passed out and awoke to a very pissed off agrivated uncle who wanted to know WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED OUTSIDE LAST NIGHT??!!

It took a half a day to expalin to him, and as we all sat around eating leftovers laughing about how funny it was that almost all of us could have died or been killed.

He is in a "home" now for "special people" just like him.

This was 1995 btw.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Statutory Ape posted:

well, when you refer to another parties mental state as such it implies that u are somewhat unerringly correct in whatever u believe

When someone thinks the earth's flat and that belief in it being round is some multi-century long plot plot by jewish people to... uh... idk... then yeah I'm pretty comfortable saying I'm unerringly correct in my belief that the earth is indeed round.

And what about someone that's, y'know, had a severe case of COVID when faced with someone that insists COVID isn't dangerous or, even more farfetched, isn't even real?

It's fair to shy away from being absolutist about one's beliefs about what the most morally right way to organize human society is because, really, nobody truly knows that. But the roundness of the earth? The efficacy and side effects of vaccines? The impact of 5G on the human body? Please. It's entirely fair to see oneself as unerringly correct in their belief in a spherical earth.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've the read the stories about your brother in law over the past year or two and I have to ask: Where's your wife's sister in all of this? Is she on the verge of leaving him or is she shut down about it or is she on the same trip he is or what's going on there?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
actually the earth has a slight bulge around the equator

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I've got a slight bulge around my equator

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

that being said ive probably gone off the deep end tbh

i dont really think that any of the various groups rightfully clamoring for equal rights and representation are going to get anywhere nonviolently

how could they when the entirety of congress literally isnt human enough to even know when rent is due?

so, when i read various polls and statistics about who is and who isnt getting vaccinated, i feel as though i've pulled beyond the "we can do this together, world" phase and i am now in the "i cant wait for the anti mask/science/rights/humanity" crowd to self genocide

conversely, i am reminded of something a really wonderful goon said to me some years ago about a similar sentiment re: would be oppressors, which, to paraphrase was just a reminder that cockroaches always have a tendency to survive even the worst holocaust

ps, miss you wfp, hopefully you're being really safe, smart and funny somewhere offline

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I had a friend who signed up for the military in his late 20s, while the BLM protests were in full swing.

So now I don't have a Nazi friend.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

i would personally highlight the conflicts themselves and the frusterations & consequences of it, and maybe start to consider or discuss some of the root causes like fear, ignorance, a right wing propaganda machine that inflicts untold damage by manipulating ppl

I used to think that discourse like this was possible.

I used to think that things like 'fear and ignorance' were barriers that could be overcome, even if you hated to hear the things the 'other' side wanted to talk about. But the political conservative party in the US is actively disbanding education and literally forcing people to 'be dumber and proud of it' as a political point and that if you aren't too stupid to talk about it, you then must be an out-cast. You cannot talk about or discuss things, being able to do so marks you as "One of Them". That's by design, of course, and should have been obvious to anyone watching with a blunt knowledge of history.

When 'forced stupidity' is what coalesces a group together with no way out, it should come as no surprise that they turn on even their family and friends who try to offer some other information or factual discourse into their lives. Even that, sadly, is double-speak, since, from their perspective they ARE getting 'factual information', which tells them "Shut up and double-down on being this way, THOSE are the facts". It's hard to watch.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My mom performs the Japanese ritual sudoku almost every day

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Decon posted:

It's entirely fair to see oneself as unerringly correct in their belief in a spherical earth.

honestly you picked the funniest example you probably could have for this, thank you

so if somebody is anti vaxer despite vaccines working we should categorize them negatively too? what about among groups with reasons to distrust vaccines? or the government?

i think a good% of whatever flat earther anti vax anti mask that exist people would not exist if they were raised in a different system with different values

and as such its hard for me to designate vast swathes of people as mentally ill

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 4, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've the read the stories about your brother in law over the past year or two and I have to ask: Where's your wife's sister in all of this? Is she on the verge of leaving him or is she shut down about it or is she on the same trip he is or what's going on there?

Completely shut down about it. She's still on good terms with my wife and I, talks to us regularly, we've seen her in person a few times lately. We don't bring up anything like "Hey where's your husband at?" because it's pointless, we all know where he is.

She's definitely quieter than she used to be, never talks about doing anything with her husband. I asked her if they wanted to go to a concert with us next spring since I'd get tickets for us, she just said "Yeah, I'll go. My husband won't."

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i do not know whats going on w them but i am sad that they do not have a spouse that will go to the concert with them

it is particularly painful to see ppl denied basic happinesseseses

e: otoh u wouldnt catch me at a concert in a million years these days unless it was one of those like, hang out in ur car at a drive in ones or some poo poo

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

it is objectively a little bit funny to see a man go completely insane over things like beans with no signs of slowing down any time soon.

:thembeans:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

oh also that being said i think its perfectly ok to laugh at tio goya

as a latino that whole debacle was actually pretty amusing in its WTF nature because, like, theres not too many things in life you just assume have your back but, goya going pro trump and the ensuing white people propping it up was legit one of the funniest things i seen to come out of politics lately

which in all fairness politics is not very funny lately.

altho i did watch a video of chuck schumer cutting mitch mcconnell off in line to address the media and claim majority privilege and that made me lol, but mainly a sad lol that theyre there cracking jokes while being part of the same government body thats like "oh poo poo lmao is it the first of the month already?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I was really worried because my dad is a prime candidate for conspiracy theories. He’s in his 80s now and spends all his time working on his yard and garden and doesn’t have time to sit in front of the news all day.

My brother is a dumbfuck and whenever he is around says some weird poo poo with right wing undertones. I’m sure if I spoke to him more I’d find he is in some Q hole.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Statutory Ape posted:

i think a good% of whatever flat earther anti vax anti mask that exist people would not exist if they were raised in a different system with different values

i think this applies to many mental illnesses as well. the brain is a product of its environment. i do not say this as an argument in favor of ableism, merely as an observation from one nonstandard brain

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

What the christ re the cow story

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Statutory Ape posted:

so if somebody is anti vaxer despite vaccines working we should categorize them negatively too? what about among groups with reasons to distrust vaccines? or the government?

I mean... They're demonstrably endangering people around them so yeah. While the flat earthers are hilarious to poke fun at, they're generally harmless; the most damage they do is to their interpersonal relationships. COVID aside, anti-vaxxers are measurably responsible for allowing diseases that we'd nearly eradicated to have outbreaks.

I will agree that it's extremely unfortunate that some of the most horrid misdeeds of racists resulted in mistrust of medical systems in general. But I think that's a different beast from "vaccines cause autism" and "the COVID vax is the mark of the beast", which is what I'm talking about.

Statutory Ape posted:

and as such its hard for me to designate vast swathes of people as mentally ill

I mean sure. I don't deem them mentally ill; they're mostly just stupid, selfish assholes that have decided to address some unfulfilled emotional need by convincing themselves that real life will play out like some D tier action-thriller film and they're one of the good guys.

.... but at the same time video game addiction is in the DSM (and it should be) because of the measurable impact that addiction to video games (which have no chemical means of addictiveness) has on a person's relationships, professional life, physical and emotional health. And if Goya Beans convinced you to litter your store--your livelihood--with signage for a politician, it's gonna be hard to convince me that your relationships are all doing well and that you're in a good place emotionally.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

When I was a kid, young, think 7-12 years old, we would as a family meet at my grandma's house for holidays, Thanksgiving, christmas, easter, that sorta thing.
It was an old house, built in the 1800's and had a big front room with a wood burning stove that served as a kitchen that also had the big, gigantic kitchen table that we could stuff a dozen or so people into, sometimes standing room only... :)

Anyway we'd say Grace and eat a meal together and help grandma and select family members clean that table and then polish it, and then it really started.
Poker.
House game poker for pennies, 3 cent chips, and nickles, and even us kids got to play.

And the whole time this ruthless game was happening, you know what was going on? There was talk about politics. About the world. About sports. About the US. About women's rights. About why these things were important. About why they WEREN'T important to those in attendance.
All over nickle poker.

But you know what it wasn't? It wasn't a shouting match. It wasn't "I hope you and your children are too stupid to understand this argument going forward so gently caress you", and I think this latter thing is what they're doing now.

And if I get REAL BEEFY on ya, remember them family card game stories.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

A Fancy Hat posted:

Completely shut down about it. She's still on good terms with my wife and I, talks to us regularly, we've seen her in person a few times lately. We don't bring up anything like "Hey where's your husband at?" because it's pointless, we all know where he is.

She's definitely quieter than she used to be, never talks about doing anything with her husband. I asked her if they wanted to go to a concert with us next spring since I'd get tickets for us, she just said "Yeah, I'll go. My husband won't."

That sucks. What was he like before he went down this path? How old is he? Has he ever displayed any overt signs of mental illness before? Do you think he was always kind of a fascist nutjob but didn't feel like he had social permission to express it until the past few years?

I fell down a conspiracy theory hole in my early 20s after 9/11 but I couldn't imagine myself ever alienating friends or family over it.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 4, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

my father was formerly politically active, has run for federal office a couple times in the past.

he's a socialist and immigrant and even he seems to have mostly given up at this point tbh. maybe he just wants to spend the rest of his time here hanging with his wife and relaxing. when he chooses to talk about politics or the state of affairs in this country its like talking to an amateur boxer that tried to beat tyson or ali or something

InediblePenguin posted:

i think this applies to many mental illnesses as well. the brain is a product of its environment. i do not say this as an argument in favor of ableism, merely as an observation from one nonstandard brain

agreed, and i blame a lot of those bad n gross environs on the intentional machinations of a lot of evil and gross people, but most of them probably arent the average people on the streets too wrapped up in their stuff to save their own lives + many others in a pandemic

unwitting soldiers in a war against their own existence. i can spend time hating them for helping make poo poo worse but honestly its not a healthy place for me to be at and probably not constructive.

conversely, i do think that recognizing the massive amount of systemic momentum that helps perpetuates this behavior is worth doing and may acutally help some day

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I don't think rightwingers are "crazy" so much as the laws of natural dictated that humans had to act like violent psychopaths to survive the same way a dung beetle has to eat poo poo to survive. Difference is humanity has more options now but these people want to keep eating poo poo because simply because they genetically programmed to, so it feels normal and the "correct" way to behave to them to the point where the ego makes countless assumptions about the world to justify killing anyone who's not a cis-white evangelical male.

Like, they see a non-white man and this triggers something in their brain simply because they're genetically programmed to be shifty and paranoid towards people who are different, so they assume the non-white man must be a demon who's out to murder them instead of stopping to analyze their feelings.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That sucks. What was he like before he went down this path? How old is he? Has he ever displayed any overt signs of mental illness before? Do you think he was always kind of a fascist nutjob but didn't feel like he had social to express it until the past few years?

I fell down a conspiracy theory hole in my early 20s after 9/11 but I couldn't imagine myself ever alienating friends or family over it.

He either majorly changed or hid this stuff incredibly well because nobody had a clue. I was at his bachelor party, spent plenty of time with him, we went to concerts and movies and stuff together. Never heard a peep about Trump even though this was all happening in 2016 and 2017.

That said, he stopped doing stuff with his wife almost immediately after the wedding, so a lot of this might stem from him just being a piece of poo poo who put on an act to get married, then went full mask-off afterwards.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yaldabaoth posted:

I don't think rightwingers are "crazy" so much as the laws of natural dictated that humans had to act like violent psychopaths to survive the same way a dung beetle has to eat poo poo to survive. Difference is humanity has more options now but these people want to keep eating poo poo because simply because they genetically programmed to, so it feels normal and the "correct" way to behave to them to the point where the ego makes countless assumptions about the world to justify killing anyone who's not a cis-white evangelical male.

Like, they see a non-white man and this triggers something in their brain simply because they're genetically programmed to be shifty and paranoid towards people who are different, so they assume the non-white man must be a demon who's out to murder them instead of stopping to analyze their feelings.

i was walkin down the streeet sweating mballs off earlier thinking this exact same thing today as i realized that trying to reprogram these people is not gonna wrk since its firmware level problems

see: my statement re: solving this nonviolently

theres also the reality, imho, that taking the stance that "these other ppl are crazy" is an absolutely untenable position to actually approach the situation with. theres plenty of the same mental illness on either ends of any political spectrum or divide i have little doubt.

imo one cant come up to a person or group and pretend to have constructive criticism based on the premise that anybody that displays virtues or actions similar to theirs are lesser-than. its not a way to have a receptive audience on that end imo and its even worse when like minded ppl (liberals/democrats/left/whatever) effectively form a team with that stance.

you never want to create 2 different teams of people if you can avoid it, its exactly why we are in this problem today. so thats partly why i do not like the "we are sane, they are crazy because:" approach to anything. its not really because i care about peoples feelings, its because i care about how people feelings can impact what i'm trying to accomplish

divide and conquer is such a basic n true concept its p fnny really

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 4, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
a lot of the most crunchy, hippie, "go with the flow" guys that I used to hang out in my drug using/dealing years are now some of the most hardcore racist, trump supporters, anti maskers and antivaxers posting things with the (((three parentheses))) around people's names and poo poo like that.

It makes sense, I guess. Some of them were super into Loose Change and one guy was even really into David Icke.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

EorayMel posted:

One of my uncles became 110% a fox news sunglasses in a truck comments guy that won't shut the gently caress up about aliens and ufos but not in a cool or funny way

I miss cool alien conspiracies. X-files and Fire in the Sky were key parts of my childhood. Now it’s been ruined by these yokels.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

after 4 years of trump, i for one, find the term alien conspiracies offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My dad a few years ago got a job in his factory in the tool closet or whatever signing in and out parts and tools for other workers. It gives him lots of time to browse random YouTube videos on his tablet and I was terrified he'd become a chud but instead he's been watching anime on Netflix and I wonder which is worse