Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

Wait, why does social security increase the political strength of industrialists? That seems backwards.

Or is it a "industrialists are radicalised to push back politically against a society where they don't get to decide who lives and who dies by firing them" kind of thing

Same question regarding healthcare and the devout.

Because the actual law activating it is Poor Laws, aka workhouses and so on, and the health institution is Charity Hospitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That makes more sense.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Don't end your sentences with a preposition!!! :arghfist::mad:

Absolutely no professionalism, cancelled my pre-order

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DrSunshine posted:

Don't end your sentences with a preposition!!! :arghfist::mad:

Linguistic Policy: Latinate Grammar
Intelligentsia approval: +3
Goons approval: +5
All other approval: -2

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Gort posted:

Wait, why does social security increase the political strength of industrialists? That seems backwards.

Or is it a "industrialists are radicalised to push back politically against a society where they don't get to decide who lives and who dies by firing them" kind of thing

Same question regarding healthcare and the devout.

https://twitter.com/dnhamilton/status/1420391422172319750

Even workhouses were too much social security for some people.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/dnhamilton/status/1420391422172319750

Even workhouses were too much social security for some people.

Its been ages since I read the research on it but iirc workhouses as practiced by the English/British governments were never actually profitable. They were intended to be a way to teach idle poor people the moral of hard work and to use the homeless/destitute population for something 'productive', but they lost money and mostly functioned as a form of punishment and a way to reduce the number of homeless people out in public.

Make the Vic 3 workhouses money sinks that make the right wing voters happy, is what I am saying.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1420776379705032708?s=20

Choice quote:

quote:

Ways of decreasing the cost of providing Institutions to your people include:
Passing Laws to decentralize your Bureaucracy with elected rather than appointed officials
Society inventions like Behaviorism that provide insight into people management
Refraining from Incorporating colonies and conquered territories
Sending a whole bunch of people to their deaths in terrible wars (warning: side effects may vary).

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
To be honest, not very excited about this implementation. Social structure of the state is the last place I'd like to see stuff like "Police level 2", it's like researching Improved Farms in subpar 4X game. Maybe I don't get what it represents, but do you really need a big fancy separate screen for beuraucracy focus spread?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm puzzled on the level of centralization having an effect in of itself on institutions; in some ways being highly centralized could make it easier to implement reforms, while a decentralized nation can more easily resist such reforms.

I feel like there should be something like a political compass thingy, like having two axis's where something like a highly centralized by conservative bureaucracy is less interested in implementing reforms but an innovative one will do so.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm puzzled on the level of centralization having an effect in of itself on institutions; in some ways being highly centralized could make it easier to implement reforms, while a decentralized nation can more easily resist such reforms.

I feel like there should be something like a political compass thingy, like having two axis's where something like a highly centralized by conservative bureaucracy is less interested in implementing reforms but an innovative one will do so.

I think that's where interest groups come into play. If I'm reading this right, you have to pass laws to enact reforms and if your interest groups aren't playing ball it'll be hard to expand the bureaucracy.

Also lol at your new av.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the implication is more that a highly centralized state, while possibly able to implement reforms more quickly, also bears a higher central bureaucratic cost to do so. Think Soviet Russia for example. Whereas a more decentralized state may reform slower, but if you delegate management to the locals (eg US state and county and city management) it requires a smaller federal government and lower bureaucratic cost to do so.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this is victoria 3 update: max weber edition and he's extremely pleased

I can't parse exactly the why of it but I really do like "bureaucracy" as a quantitative capacity of state action. Maybe because I did an internship years ago at the state accounting court of law and could see the problem of "why our policies aren't working?" irl.

Turns out most things needed more people to attack the problem, more people means you need to budget for govt hiring and doing admission exams, this requires working with the state government to see when public hiring processes will be available because of the budget, which will probably be insufficient anyway, so the judiciary administration asks the governor's office for an additive measure to the budget, which means seeing whether the legislative is going to approve that or not, then somebody remembers that we have people that are too green and need institutional support in form of training and research for the job...

poo poo like that is obviously awfully boring to do it simulation-like and it is a hideous idea whenever it appears by a certain strand of degenerate pol-sci wonk, but fun gamey abstractions of that are absolutely on-point for stuff like these - there is a lot of material concerns that go beyond the purely financial in the matters of state and government (e.g.: the USA having boatloads of cash but absolutely no institutional volition to effect policies)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

yikes! posted:

I think that's where interest groups come into play. If I'm reading this right, you have to pass laws to enact reforms and if your interest groups aren't playing ball it'll be hard to expand the bureaucracy.

Also lol at your new av.

Perhaps, something about it rubs me the wrong way, like many of the enlightenment era monarchs in order to implement reforms involved centralizing the state and transfering authority from the nobles to a newly minted meritocratic bureaucracy.

I turned off ublock to take a look and lol yeah that's a perplexing AV but at least its more pleasing on the eyes than the last one. :D

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ilitarist posted:

To be honest, not very excited about this implementation. Social structure of the state is the last place I'd like to see stuff like "Police level 2", it's like researching Improved Farms in subpar 4X game. Maybe I don't get what it represents, but do you really need a big fancy separate screen for beuraucracy focus spread?

The social structure is determined by your Laws. Institutions represent implementing those laws. You may have “police level 2” but the function of those police (secret police, community policing, local sheriffs etc) will differ based on your country’s laws.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

BBJoey posted:

The social structure is determined by your Laws. Institutions represent implementing those laws. You may have “police level 2” but the function of those police (secret police, community policing, local sheriffs etc) will differ based on your country’s laws.

Yeah, it's a function of how well you pencil-pushers are implementing the policy of your lawmakers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Will Laws and Institutions interact to create buildings and jobs based on the combination, or will they purely run off bureaucracy?

E.g. Religious schooling laws and level 1 school institutions create Parish Schools (with a school building count relative to province pops and funding?) that employ Clergy pops. Level 2 institutions allow bigger schools or more per overall pop with higher throughput and employment.

Public schooling laws create Public Schools that employ teacher pops, level 2 enables grammar schools etc.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Perhaps, something about it rubs me the wrong way, like many of the enlightenment era monarchs in order to implement reforms involved centralizing the state and transfering authority from the nobles to a newly minted meritocratic bureaucracy.

I turned off ublock to take a look and lol yeah that's a perplexing AV but at least its more pleasing on the eyes than the last one. :D

Also it seems like "centralization" and "bureaucracy" are different things? So that could be represented by trying to build up more government infrastructure to keep up with the centralization.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah centralisation replaces the old civilised/uncivilised separation

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1422195483288555529

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

God, imagine a Victoria 3 where people are complaining about too many Jingos instead of too few.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Paradox better shape up and change that description, or make it explicitly the viewpoint of a proponent of realpolitik. This is the "I don't have an ideology" of political descriptions.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't realpolitik basically just following your ideology while claiming you're being completely pragmatic and that it's the best way?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Poil posted:

Isn't realpolitik basically just following your ideology while claiming you're being completely pragmatic and that it's the best way?
Yes. The word pragmatic is the clue, since it actually just means "I believe my goals are free of ideology". Or occasionally, "I believe I can convince you I'm right, by pretending ideological blinders are what prevents people from seeing the objective truth of my views".

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
To be fair, given the time period we're talking about most of the moral and ideological justifications were also fig leaves for self-serving motivations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
yeah, sure, "given the time period"

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Poil posted:

I thought it was following your interests without regard to commonsense understandings of morality, pace Palmerston “Britain has no permanent allies and no permanent enemies, only permanent interests.” Ideology is one of the things that goes into defining your interests, but not the only one.

I get the feeling that what they are going for here is that you might want to take expedient decisions but doing so will piss off your population who want to see their government Standing Up To Johnny Foreigner.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

I thought it was following your interests without regard to commonsense understandings of morality, pace Palmerston “Britain has no permanent allies and no permanent enemies, only permanent interests.” Ideology is one of the things that goes into defining your interests, but not the only one.

I get the feeling that what they are going for here is that you might want to take expedient decisions but doing so will piss off your population who want to see their government Standing Up To Johnny Foreigner.

...Kissinger being a famous proponent.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Beefeater1980 posted:

I always thought of it as saying in international affairs, there is no higher law than the law of the jungle, where might makes right.

...so, basically the same thing.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yeah, I'm expecting a few incidents of "Ignore boorish insult that doesn't actually matter and piss of your pops" or "Rattle that saber for the honor of Queen and Country!"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Outside possibly self-preservation of the person itself, everything is ideology. There might be a lot of overlap among the more powerful ideologies, but that doesn't make those positions non-ideological.

Capfalcon posted:

Yeah, I'm expecting a few incidents of "Ignore boorish insult that doesn't actually matter and piss of your pops" or "Rattle that saber for the honor of Queen and Country!"
You could probably push that idea much further, with pops having opinions about countries, which influence how they feel about your policies vis-a-vis those countries. If they dislike the country, possibly due to earlier propaganda on your part, then it becomes tougher to justify an alliance with the country. And conversely, if they like it, they'll be happier to have an alliance with it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Gort posted:

Maybe you could have "law efficiency" with penalties based on how racist your pops are

You're going to need a whole second pie chart to express just how loving racist a lot of these pops are.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes. The word pragmatic is the clue, since it actually just means "I believe my goals are free of ideology". Or occasionally, "I believe I can convince you I'm right, by pretending ideological blinders are what prevents people from seeing the objective truth of my views".

Ironically this kind of politics is also the most ideological kind of politics by far. So blinded by your ideology that you can not even conceive that your ideology is not the objective truth about the world and others might see things differently.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 4, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A circle labeled "very fuckin racist"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Victoria 3: A circle labeled "very fuckin racist"

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1422920265407815683?s=19

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kind of weird the British isles have a unified market

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thats a weird color for Prussia. Would have preferred toothpaste blue or maybe yellow.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Was Hanover really so economically tied to Britain? I thought they stayed relatively decoupled despite the personal union

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not really no. They didn't join the Zollverein until '54 I think, which is probably why they aren't in the Prussian market, but by that logic Baden and Nassau should be out too.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kind of weird the British isles have a unified market

And especially weird that the Austrian Empire is one market.

Though looking at Switzerland and Nice, it looks like markets do not necessarily have to reflect national borders, so that's interesting.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 4, 2021

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Not really no. They didn't join the Zollverein until '54 I think, which is probably why they aren't in the Prussian market, but by that logic Baden and Nassau should be out too.

I come for this thread for this level of pro-tier posting, drat. wiz, get this poster for consultation immediately

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Baden and Nassau either joined in 1835 or early 1836 IIRC.

Splitting up countries into multiple internal markets was something we experimented with for a long time but basically it just didn't result in good gameplay no matter what solution we used so we nixed it and went for the system of Market Access that will be talked about tomorrow instead.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Let's talk about the real poo poo: you made mostly good choices but the Ottomans should be red, not tan. And what the absolute gently caress is up with green Two Sicilies?