Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Regardless of anything else I'll never not lol at France getting second billing in favour of the US in a fuckin' WW1 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
all I can say is lol :dice:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Insert name here posted:

Regardless of anything else I'll never not lol at France getting second billing in favour of the US in a fuckin' WW1 game

To be fair the French DLC maps were loving wicked though

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Once they finally showed up to their own party the French were a lot of fun.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

tbh i liked the stupid drama over BF1 having the Americans at launch, and then BFV getting poo poo for not having the americans/M1 garand at launch.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I mean don't get me wrong, the French DLC was pretty legit, but lets be honest here, they really deserved to have been part of the core game rather than regulated to a DLC

Actually this reminds me of a funny anecdote when my friends and I were discussing which nations would be in launch BFV: I very confidently stated that, since they passed on France in favour of the US in BF1, there's literally no way that BFV launches without the US. Fast forward to BFV launch day and

well

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Symetrique posted:

tbh i liked the stupid drama over BF1 having the Americans at launch, and then BFV getting poo poo for not having the americans/M1 garand at launch.

"Lol the Americans weren't even fighting on the ground in Europe in 1940, it wouldn't be accurate" I say as I fire my Stg44

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Insert name here posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, the French DLC was pretty legit, but lets be honest here, they really deserved to have been part of the core game rather than regulated to a DLC

Actually this reminds me of a funny anecdote when my friends and I were discussing which nations would be in launch BFV: I very confidently stated that, since they passed on France in favour of the US in BF1, there's literally no way that BFV launches without the US. Fast forward to BFV launch day and

well

there were so many easy lay-ups for BFV that :dice: completely face-planted on, its remarkable really

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

jisforjosh posted:

"Lol the Americans weren't even fighting on the ground in Europe in 1940, it wouldn't be accurate" I say as I fire my Stg44
I've seen it speculated that the US was at some point planned for launch but :dice: pivoted away, because apparently the vast majority of the launch cosmetic items for the British was actually US kit and not British

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I still wonder what the game would have been like if it had gotten the year it clearly needed.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just cause I hadn't seen it mentioned, check your emails if you're signed up for the EA play testing stuff, 2042 tech test invites went out.

Mine broke cause of site overload and I seemingly won't get to play so that's neat.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Are people still playing bf1? I got the base game in a gift train years ago and it was a lot of fun with goons. Never got the dlc though

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I bought Battlefield 1 on sale to play with my friend and I've been having a pretty good time. My mind is pretty consistently blown by the physics and destructible terrain and sound design since the last Battlefield I played was like Battlefield 2/Battlefield 2142 (God this naming convention is hard to follow) back in the mid-2000s about... 15 years ago :stare:.

Are there any good intro guides for getting familiar with the classes and different options? There's approximately several dozen options and unlockables for each weapon slot under each class, it's all a bit overwhelming.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 4, 2021

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ilmucche posted:

Are people still playing bf1? I got the base game in a gift train years ago and it was a lot of fun with goons. Never got the dlc though

It was just given away for free on Amazon Prime/Twitch so yea, its blowing up now

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

System requirements leaked from the Technical Playtest

Minimum PC Requirements
The minimum PC requirements for Battlefield 2042 are as follows:
  • Processor (AMD): AMD FX-8350
  • Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Memory: 4GB
  • Graphics Card (AMD): AMD Radeon RX 560
  • Graphics Card (NVIDIA): Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Recommended PC Requirements
The recommended PC requirements for Battlefield 2042 are as follows:
  • Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790
  • Memory: 16GB
  • Video Memory: 8GB
  • Graphics Card (AMD): AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
  • Graphics Card (NVIDIA): Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
My decision to buy the 3GB VRAM 1060 model because "I'll just upgrade it later" continuing to bite me in the rear end :c00l:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Are there any good intro guides for getting familiar with the classes and different options? There's approximately several dozen options and unlockables for each weapon slot under each class, it's all a bit overwhelming.
:same: question

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Assault: attack! Plus anti vehicle

Medic: medic! Gas grenades a must imo

Support: LMG+ammo dropping+vehicle repair

Scout: useless, takes up a server slot, please at least use the flares to spot enemies, can set traps

Keep in mind I am Bad At This Game, but I think that's basically it

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Haha yeah, that's the basics.
From what I remember, you mostly unlock gadgets and stuff as you level, so that's good. As far as weapons, they aren't usually straight upgrades, so look at stats and guess what you'll like.
I think you can pick up peoples kits? If you can, might be a good way to try new guns and see what you like.
The one exception to the no straight upgrades is the Helreigel for the assault class. It's not amazingly better than other smgs, since some have faster rate of fire, but it's got a big clip and if you get a good flank you can just tear it up.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=balH4LFs10c

Mostly still accurate though this was at launch so it's pre-balance changes and no DLC weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdewmfH_p8Y

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the confusing thing about BF1 when you first encounter it is that instead of having one gun and then different attachments for it that will give it shorter range/longer range/scope/ironsights/etc. instead there are just 2-4 variants of the same gun that fulfill those functions. And while it's easy to guess what, say, the Factory, Optical, and Sniper/Marksman variants mean, stuff like "Trench", "Low Weight" and "Storm" are things you have to look up.

https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Weapon_Variants#Battlefield_1

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I played some BF1 yesterday, maybe the 3rd/4th time I've played. Grand operation, basic support kit, and I wound up 2nd on my team.

What

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Orv posted:

Just cause I hadn't seen it mentioned, check your emails if you're signed up for the EA play testing stuff, 2042 tech test invites went out.

Mine broke cause of site overload and I seemingly won't get to play so that's neat.

i also got an email and was able to get through. looks like its not a direct invite to the alpha itself, but instead an invite to sign up to maybe get invited later when the test starts in like a week, so maybe try again in a few hours and you might get lucky and get through

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Shinjobi posted:

I played some BF1 yesterday, maybe the 3rd/4th time I've played. Grand operation, basic support kit, and I wound up 2nd on my team.

What

Not that unbelievable for Operations, if you're on defense and just hunker down inside an objective zone you'll rack up mad points by dropping a box in the middle of a gaggle of other players. If you play it right you don't even need to get a lot of kills to be top 5 every match

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea you can get MVP without firing your gun in a lot of BF1 matches if you know what you’re doing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha yeah, that's the basics.
From what I remember, you mostly unlock gadgets and stuff as you level, so that's good. As far as weapons, they aren't usually straight upgrades, so look at stats and guess what you'll like.
I think you can pick up peoples kits? If you can, might be a good way to try new guns and see what you like.
The one exception to the no straight upgrades is the Helreigel for the assault class. It's not amazingly better than other smgs, since some have faster rate of fire, but it's got a big clip and if you get a good flank you can just tear it up.

That’s not really true anymore re: the Helreigel. It’s still extremely good, but balance changes/extra DLC guns no longer make it the 100% Correct Choice (not that it was even back in the day, because lol Hunter) b/c some guns do in fact have things like notably better ttk (automatico), and the SMG 08/18 also has massive quantities of effective bullets.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Seriously, it seems as though every single ("Official DICE"!) server doesn't allow you to play with default class weapons?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh sure leave me out from the alpha just cause I didn't buy the last 2 games

What a run I was just on with a pubbie squad that stayed together for like 5 games in which victory was never in question, until the server crashed. I've always surmised as much, that one squad is enough to get the job done, but this was impressive.

I always avoided DMRs because they seem terrible but its just the people who use them. Nothing like that feeling of safety when you hear the plink plink plink of some idiot trigger spamming, knowing he will never hit you. But in hardcore, a bit of patience and a double tap gets the job done every time, without the slow speed of a regular sniper. I've settled on the 338 for the moment which I guess isn't technically a DMR but whatever

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
poo poo my rx 480 is officially super outdated now. I bought that one for BF4... Let's hope the price for the rx 6800 xt drops a little more.
1k € for a grfx card is ridiculous.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

the one thing I'm annoyed by with BF1 is that some of the weapon unlock requirements aren't doable outside certain game modes that are now unplayed

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Booyah- posted:

the one thing I'm annoyed by with BF1 is that some of the weapon unlock requirements aren't doable outside certain game modes that are now unplayed

Not just the weapons, but quite a few of the specializations require assignments in game modes that never saw much play. The good news is that most specialization are trash and the default ones are quite good.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

codo27 posted:

Oh sure leave me out from the alpha just cause I didn't buy the last 2 games

Did you register as an EA Playtester in the past?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shinjobi posted:

What

I've never played BF1 but if it's anything like BF4, that is not surprising. If it even occurred to you to resupply your teammates with ammunition you're already better than about two thirds of pubbies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My CPU is 2042's minimum spec, guess I'll see how it goes

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Mordja posted:

My CPU is 2042's minimum spec, guess I'll see how it goes

Considering my old 6600K gave really inconsistent frametimes in BFV it may not go very well.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hopefully someone looking for Internet points will leak gameplay.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

henpod posted:

Hopefully someone looking for Internet points will leak gameplay.

It's going to be boring to watch as it will be a texture-less gray box

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Considering my old 6600K gave really inconsistent frametimes in BFV it may not go very well.

Yeah BFV was already a challenge for 4c/4t and now it's double the player count. Even my 4c/8t 7700hq was producing noticeably worse performance than 6c/12t 8750h with the same gpu (1060). Desktop 6600k has better clocks but I'd still expect a not great ezperience.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

RE: Operations from upthread.

The always progressing part of BFV's Operations removed any feeling of investment in the outcome and made it similar to any other game mode.

Slamming your face against the same points for 3 rounds in BF1 felt bad, but a well fought match where it came down to the wave last point on the last map felt like an actual success or accomplishment.

Basically BF1's method had higher highs and lower lows which leads to more memorable good games.

Though if you got behemoths and were still unable to make forward progress... in BFV you ​would just be you getting similarly poo poo on with more load times between rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Booyah- posted:

just played rush, air assault and war pigeons today!

the bf1 free giveaway rules