Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well part of the problem is everyone uses the food delivery apps instead of contacting the restaurants themselves in the 1st place. And the places that actually have enough delivery orders to make it worthwhile, would probably rather pay an employee than pay the delivery apps for the service... Ubereats charges 30% to the restaurants... on top of the 15% to the customer... With the delivery fee on top as well... Uber is quite likely netting drat near 50% of the menu costs on orders :lol:.

I'd love to pay the restaurant that already pays employees to deliver, but apparently being more than a mile from them means they can't deliver to my area.

I'm 1.2 miles from them, I'm not in an area that it massively crime filled, it's just a normal, safe, apartment complex.

NOPE! Can't deliver from the restaurant!. Fine, I'll pay basic menu cost for the food and let doordash exploit me for 75% more cost to get it to me. I mean I don't like paying that much, but when I don't give a gently caress and just want someone to bring me food... I don't care who does. I wouold gladly pay the restaurant full price + delivery fees + tip, but they don't offer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

You're all right about Uber Eats being trash, and lovely they charge the restaurants on top of the fees they already collect. You've inspired me to stop using Uber Eats (and maybe Uber in general). I'm going to force myself to not use Uber Eats for one full week.

Just kidding, I'll try not to use it for 6 months. Or never again?! We'll see.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just use it for pickup, no service fees and there's pretty good deals like 2 for 1s.

Most places jack the price up a little but it's worth it to know exactly when your food is ready. Stuff like wings get steamed into losing their crunch in only a couple minutes.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

ballistics statistics posted:

Why did you call them you fukken boomer? There's like 2 buttons to press "I had an issue with my order" > "My food was wrong/didn't get delivered"

BOOM you just got a refund + $10 in credits for a future order, and the stoned as gently caress dude that dropped your order in front of a trash can with the number 3 on it gets dinged. It's like 20 seconds. You even have enough time to make the same order from the same restaurant with your credits so it's cheaper.

If you reread my post I just said I contacted them not called them lol. But that’s what I did and it still put me through to a support chat window.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never used a meal delivery app myself but they did once give me someone else's pizza when I happened to be hungry so I thank them for that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
With the eviction moratorium ending I really think we should be thankful that Uber Eats allows so many of their delivery people to work from home.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The one time I ordered from Uber eats, 3 drivers declined the order then it was automatically cancelled after an hour and a half. gently caress delivery services.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Good Sphere posted:

I opened the Uber Eats app by mistake when a notification popped up about a free delivery promotion just as I was about to tap something else. I looked at it briefly, but caught myself, and swiped out of the app, closing it. Another notification popped up. $8 off your next order! So then I HAD to order.

What kind of aggressive marketing nonsense is this?

California
UberEats
California
UberEats

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

If there is anything that will get me to stop watching a TV show it's when it tries to hip, cool and relevant when it switches "Can you call me cab?" with "Can you call me an Uber?"

iZombie was guilty of this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bradzilla posted:

The one time I ordered from Uber eats, 3 drivers declined the order then it was automatically cancelled after an hour and a half. gently caress delivery services.

Did you not tip lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Wow, $8 off my order! What a savings!" I say as I order $20 worth of food with $6 of taxes & service fees, $3 of delivery charges and a $4 tip tacked on instead of just calling the loving restaurant directly and picking the food up myself.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also Uber mopeds are all terrible fuckin drivers. I try and give them the benefit of the doubt because they're so underpaid, but still.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Uber Eats is my wife

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well part of the problem is everyone uses the food delivery apps instead of contacting the restaurants themselves in the 1st place. And the places that actually have enough delivery orders to make it worthwhile, would probably rather pay an employee than pay the delivery apps for the service... Ubereats charges 30% to the restaurants... on top of the 15% to the customer... With the delivery fee on top as well... Uber is quite likely netting drat near 50% of the menu costs on orders :lol:.

and it's probably still not even running a profit
all of these restaurants are getting screwed over by companies that are using all their revenue to maneuver themselves and undercut the competition into one day being a monopoly
and then whoever wins will just screw the restaurants over even more

congrats we found the worst possible way to organize society

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sydin posted:

"Wow, $8 off my order! What a savings!" I say as I order $20 worth of food with $6 of taxes & service fees, $3 of delivery charges and a $4 tip tacked on instead of just calling the loving restaurant directly and picking the food up myself.

It's literally worse than that. You order 20$ worth of food but because everything secretly costs more on their app it's actually 12 dollars worth of food. The service fee itself is 4 dollars and so your 12 dollars worth of food already costs around 26 dollars after tax. Now you add the delivery fee which can be as low as 50 cents or as high as 6 dollars with no rhyme or reason, so lets assume 3 dollars and now we're at 29 dollars. If you tip 15% you are now looking at just about 34 dollars for 12 dollars worth of food.

I often get tempted by these apps but pull out at the last minute because I'm too cheap for this poo poo

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Did you not tip lol

What? Yes I added a tip

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I like spending money on fast food delivery because I can’t loving drive, tell me how to do this without supporting Uber or curing my epilepsy so I can drive and I’ll do it you weird commies.

Please note: even if I was cured and suddenly could drive I would still refuse to do so, because I hate it so bad I think all drivers should be paid for it. Ok gonna spend $35 on $12 worth of Taco Bell now.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Uber Beets

fresh beet based recipes to your door

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
More like DongRash lmao gottem.

PinheadSlim posted:

It's literally worse than that. You order 20$ worth of food but because everything secretly costs more on their app it's actually 12 dollars worth of food. The service fee itself is 4 dollars and so your 12 dollars worth of food already costs around 26 dollars after tax. Now you add the delivery fee which can be as low as 50 cents or as high as 6 dollars with no rhyme or reason, so lets assume 3 dollars and now we're at 29 dollars. If you tip 15% you are now looking at just about 34 dollars for 12 dollars worth of food.

I often get tempted by these apps but pull out at the last minute because I'm too cheap for this poo poo

Also on top of their jacked up menu prices and fees and poo poo, all these apps take a direct cut from the restaurants for each order, usually around 15-25% depending on how much leverage the business has. I know a site manager for a chain of BBQ resturants in the area, they have four locations all doing well and were in plans to open a 5th before COVID. Despite this DoorDash originally came at them demanding a 25% cut, which they managed to get down to 18% after a lot of teeth pulling. Woe to the small family-run Chinese place that only made a couple bucks off each order before these apps came along and now have the thinnest of margins to work with.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The entire gig economy is predatory horseshit, OP

You can avoid the pop-up coupons by deleting the app forever

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Yes, but only towards the gig workers and the merchants.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Yes, but only towards the gig workers and the merchants.

Merchants should be cheated! By us, the customers, not some guy who made an app, though.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The one time I ordered from Uber Eats it made me so sad for the driver.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dr.D-O posted:

The one time I ordered from Uber Eats it made me so sad for the driver.

Dehumanize yourself and face to inequitable burger delivery.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Uber Feets

Hot feet pics delivered fresh to your inbox!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best part of ordering from a delivery app now is that they gently caress over their drivers so badly they're all running like 3-5 accounts in parallel just to break even and are on the hook for a bunch of other orders you're unaware of. So half the time the delivery takes three times as long as the estimate and when the poor delivery person finally does show up with your stuff it's cold and lovely.

Also I'm annoyed because I used to order grocery delivery from Safeway and it was great because they had an actual unionized delivery guy with a refrigerated truck who ran a full route, but now if you order from them 9/10ths of the time it's just some poor Doordash person with your groceries shoved in their backseat.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

You can avoid the pop-up coupons by deleting the app forever

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm an absolute penny pincher that doesn't eat out much to begin with because I'd rather shop grocery store sales and cook myself but if you wait long enough between purchases where they really start fishing for your patronage it absolutely can be cheaper than going to pick it up yourself. If I spot a particularly good deal sitting in my emails from one of them I'll keep it in the back of my head and order next time I'm too smashed to cook, but this is a couple times a year method not a couple times a month (or week) method that most people I know who've gone hard in on it want.

Though even when it's cheaper than picking it up yourself you're still rolling the dice on whether you get your food a: as ordered or b: still hot.

If restaurants around me had delivery as an option I'd rather pay their employees but the only delivery I can get is from pizza chains that charge you like 6 bucks an order for a "Not a tip" fee that did not previously exist and I dunno where it came from or why it's here now. It just appeared out of nowhere sometime after college and I dunno why anyone put up with it.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 5, 2021

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mac and Cheese posted:

congrats we found the worst possible way to organize society

It's only one step above the wealthy outright burning people alive in massive furnaces to power their bitcoin miners.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sydin posted:

The best part of ordering from a delivery app now is that they gently caress over their drivers so badly they're all running like 3-5 accounts in parallel just to break even and are on the hook for a bunch of other orders you're unaware of. So half the time the delivery takes three times as long as the estimate and when the poor delivery person finally does show up with your stuff it's cold and lovely.

Also I'm annoyed because I used to order grocery delivery from Safeway and it was great because they had an actual unionized delivery guy with a refrigerated truck who ran a full route, but now if you order from them 9/10ths of the time it's just some poor Doordash person with your groceries shoved in their backseat.
I feel like drivers must be making an okay wage if they haven't quit cause even fastfood is understaffed and like 14-15/hr in my fairly low CoL area, you could get 20+ if you're willing to do production work at the myriad of processing plants around here and work a line or drive a forklift.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 5, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

numberoneposter posted:

Uber Feets

Hot feet pics delivered fresh to your inbox!

...:sweatdrop:

Uber Sleets

Someone just throws dirty snow at you.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Uber Sheets.
Wait, that's just the kkk.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

the worst thing about cycling in london is the deliveroo drivers because they are all dipshit teenagers who apparently dont know how the gently caress to ride a bike. get out from under my feet, vermin

Lol even cyclists hate cyclists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Uber Crete's

It's a Greek guys delivery service. 24 hour Greek guys at your doorstep in an hour or less.