Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hbag can you ride a bike at least

i like riding my bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

bicycles are cool

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

your lungs are real good flotation devices and too many people learning to swim get nervous and take tiny little quick breaths where their lungs are mostly empty all the time. training yourself not to do that is a fundamental baby step to being confident in the water

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i like riding my bike
same op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

thanks for the reply Sagebrush, interesting stuff!

one point i forgot to mention is specifically why you need dgps for landings. you might know that a regular military gps receiver can usually get within a foot of the target location and surely that's enough to land a plane? yes, it is...but that is horizontal resolution. gps altitude values are always kind of sketchy because of how the satellites are arranged. you get the most precision in the vertical dimension when the satellites you're watching are directly above you, but under most circumstances it's far more likely that you're receiving from ones scattered around the horizon. propagation of error in the trigonometry means that elevation figures are likely off by tens of feet and that's real bad if your plane thinks the runway is ten feet below the ground.

so the main value of this dgps thing is you can plunk it beside the runway and have it send a much more precise value for the field elevation, allowing the plane to touch down nicely instead of stalling twenty feet above and dropping in or pancaking into the dirt.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I ought to get a bike, they're neat and I haven't ridden one since I was a kid

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

please stop the bike chat summoning circle

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
people who can't ride a bike are always super weird

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

I ought to get a bike, they're neat and I haven't ridden one since I was a kid

it's fun, i ride on a lot of rural roads and i pass picturesque fields with hay bales, sometimes i see cows, horses, sheep, or chickens

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cjs: updating everyone's AD fields in groups of five because that's about how many I can get through before AD Users and Computers crashes

doing it all via CSV would be faster, but I can "bill" this time back to the company and look insanely productive this way lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

one point i forgot to mention is specifically why you need dgps for landings. you might know that a regular military gps receiver can usually get within a foot of the target location and surely that's enough to land a plane? yes, it is...but that is horizontal resolution. gps altitude values are always kind of sketchy because of how the satellites are arranged. you get the most precision in the vertical dimension when the satellites you're watching are directly above you, but under most circumstances it's far more likely that you're receiving from ones scattered around the horizon. propagation of error in the trigonometry means that elevation figures are likely off by tens of feet and that's real bad if your plane thinks the runway is ten feet below the ground.

so the main value of this dgps thing is you can plunk it beside the runway and have it send a much more precise value for the field elevation, allowing the plane to touch down nicely instead of stalling twenty feet above and dropping in or pancaking into the dirt.

cheers thanks for the extra info. im not really sure what the effective use for it in the military is tbh beyond doing fancy precise VTOL landings at established air bases. it appears to have been developed as a portable system so i guess they reckon it could be used at temporary FOB airfields or something. but ofc if that's the case then the system would need to be sufficiently hardened and redundant because it's gonna be target number one for an anti-airfield operation. hell if it was close enough to a runway the debris from cratering munitions would probably break it. so if it can't be protected and defended then no one is going to want to rely on it in standard operations.

now if it were a civilian aviation thing where you could just set it up at some random air strip and immediately enhance it that would be cool as heck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's no real point in hardening what is essentially an antenna next to the runway. if you've got munitions exploding on your airfield you're already hosed. anything that took out the ILS would probably cause enough damage to the field itself to warrant a divert.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah good point. in that respect the system would probably aide with recovery and help getting a MOS up faster

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cls: holy poo poo, it's only wednesday

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

this is oddly charming

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

im an excellent swimmer

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

im an excellent swimmer

same I go can go in the water and not die

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SmokaDustbowl posted:

same I go can go in the water and not die

nice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

this is oddly charming

this is excellent yes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hbag posted:

i cant swim
You should get lessons op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VvcOHi2E8

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i like riding my bike

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0V0_1MS0Q

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I was coming back from the store the other day and some methhead on a bike ran into me from behind. I didn't go down or anything but the dude almost did and I yelled a bunch of swears at him

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hbag posted:

i live in northwest england dont you loving dare ever compare me to a londoner again

also i had lessons they did gently caress-all

that’s where my father in law is from do you know him?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I was coming back from the store the other day and some methhead on a bike ran into me from behind. I didn't go down or anything but the dude almost did and I yelled a bunch of swears at him

When I worked morning shift at the 24hr grocery store we had a guy that rode in on his bike and we nicknamed him "NyQuil Guy" because at 7am without fail he would park his bike on the side of the building, stride in past the registers and over to the pharmacy where he grabbed a small NyQuil bottle and purchased back at the registers.
While walking out of the store, he would crack it open and slug the entire bottle back and then pitch it and the receipt in the trash before putting his crusty yellow Sony earphones back on and riding off into the sunrise.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Video Nasty posted:

When I worked morning shift at the 24hr grocery store we had a guy that rode in on his bike and we nicknamed him "NyQuil Guy" because at 7am without fail he would park his bike on the side of the building, stride in past the registers and over to the pharmacy where he grabbed a small NyQuil bottle and purchased back at the registers.
While walking out of the store, he would crack it open and slug the entire bottle back and then pitch it and the receipt in the trash before putting his crusty yellow Sony earphones back on and riding off into the sunrise.

I'm built like a tolkien dwarf so the guy ran into me then went off into the grass and I yelled at him a whole fuckin bunch and I was gonna get up in his face but he had a chain with a lock on it and it was too early to get my head split open

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

that’s where my father in law is from do you know him?
i think his own grandchild would know him

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I usually hear a lot of swear words when I almost go down, too

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i went on a bike ride this afternoon. come with me to new york, we have

bike paths

plane paths

cow paths

plant paths

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

i went on a bike ride this afternoon. come with me to new york, we have

plant paths

What the hell does this really mean? Multiple Roberts Plant approaching?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if you ride on the sidewalk please ring your bell and say "coming in on your left\right"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also don't do meth and ride into me

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Video Nasty posted:

What the hell does this really mean? Multiple Roberts Plant approaching?

it's some kind of industrial plant

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lol that's a missile plant

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmIhDCBEkGU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

borgwarner makes automobile transmissions.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

seems like it'd be a lot healthier if they didnt have all those smoking places

just save that stuff for home, not the workplace imo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

borgwarner makes automobile transmissions.

yeah... sure... "automobile transmissions"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

SmokaDustbowl posted:

missile plants have more empty space around them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*jacking up my truck equipped with a borg-warner transmission* "gently caress! someone put a goddamned patriot missile warhead in here. not again"