Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I'm thinking about getting hulu tv or fubutv this fall for cfb streaming. Both offer pretty much the same but hulu has espnu and fubutv doesn't based on https://thestreamable.com/news/hulu-live-tv-vs-fubotv-which-should-you-choose. Any opinions on either or anything I'm missing from either channel lineup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

a handful of companies owning the majority a very tiny industry is a lot different a slightly bigger handful owning the majority of a gigantic one this is not that hard.

Load up cable television, or a Roku or Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick or Chromecast or etc. :qq:

Choose Disney+, ESPN, Peacock, Discovery+, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Paramount+, Pluto TV, etc. etc. :qq:

My grievance is that I'm in a major city and have one choice of internet. But the selection of content (sports or otherwise) and content providers is way better than when we were little shits watching Saturday morning cartoons. Yes, ESPN/Disney will eventually own CFB, though.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Declan MacManus posted:

that against the grain power running hire is going to seem a lot less clever and against the grain when you’re in the big ten

Honest question, when was the last time anyone really made an old-school power run offense work for them? At the highest level it had to be the heyday of Bama and LSU but they both eventually abandoned it after it became obvious that even the best defense was going to give up 30+ points to high powered spread offenses sometimes and you have to be able to score to win. I get that you have to do something different instead of just being a worse version of what everybody plays against every week, but beefslam ball definitely seems like a counterintuitive strategy for a team that is rarely if ever going to be bigger and stronger than the teams lined up across from them.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

downout posted:

I'm thinking about getting hulu tv or fubutv this fall for cfb streaming. Both offer pretty much the same but hulu has espnu and fubutv doesn't based on https://thestreamable.com/news/hulu-live-tv-vs-fubotv-which-should-you-choose. Any opinions on either or anything I'm missing from either channel lineup?

I went with the "evil empire" streaming bundle of Hulu Live, ESPN+ and Disney+. I anticipate it will handle all the CFB I care to watch and I think HuluLive is adding NFL RedZone this fall for an additional $10/mo if that's your thing.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

downout posted:

At least as of last year when I tried it out, Hulu Live wouldn't let you FF through commercial breaks during DVR'ed games which was a total dealbreaker for me. I spend the extra money for YouTube TV based on that alone.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I need BTN (for volleyball!), so my decision was between YoutubeTV and bundling Charter internet and TV - went with Charter. Probably going to cancel the TV half when CFB’s over, since the college hoops games I’d be interested in watching I’m either going to or will happily sit at a bar for.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Load up cable television, or a Roku or Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick or Chromecast or etc. :qq:

Choose Disney+, ESPN, Peacock, Discovery+, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Paramount+, Pluto TV, etc. etc. :qq:

several of these are the same company and yes people who are concerned about this also think ISP monopolies are bad

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bird in a Blender posted:

KU is the last team in the Big 12 that has any sort of national brand. There’s no one else to take unless you poach from the ACC and I don’t see that happening. The SEC was the early bird, and everyone else is going to be left in the dust.

Right, but the Big Ten also has the choice not to just not add teams.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

downout posted:

FuboTV has ESPNU now.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Piper posted:

Time for a wellness check on the Goon CFB Fantasy Football league. Have I been scouting G5 tight ends all Summer for nothing?!

LeeMajors posted:

I’m ready to lose a lot

Renewed the league. Seeing if Webbeh is still alive or if baby has taken over his life completely.

Thinking about starting a discord server for it. Would anyone join?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Spacebump posted:

The NBC sports app is what you're looking for. It really does feel deceptive how they advertised Peacock for the Olympics.

Yeah, not to harp on this since it isn't CFB-related, but I was also swindled out of $5 because Peacock was advertised as having live Olympics content (which I think it teeeechnically does, for a small handful of events) and was bitterly disappointed that I couldn't even watch replays until the day after. I'm assuming the confusing pitch was the point, though, because I'm sure a whoooole lot of people assumed what I and the other poster did, and NBC is all the richer for it. Not the best way to retain users, but a nice little cash infusion for sure.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

fast cars loose anus posted:

I remember listening to the end of Michigan/App State second hand on sports radio as I was driving to College Station, where the guys doing the show had BTN and were live updating listeners as the end of the game happened

It's actually one of my fondest CFB memories; the moment they yelled IT GOT BLOCKED I nearly ran off the road

My "pull the car over" football radio moment was the 2007 Fiesta Bowl driving back from the Outback Bowl.

Oklahoma's pick six was a dangerous moment, to say nothing of the hook and ladder a minute later. We had the sense to pull into a Taco Bell parking lot to listen to overtime. If we hadn't, I'd have been driving through the famous Starke-Lawtey speed trap while considerably distracted.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, not to harp on this since it isn't CFB-related, but I was also swindled out of $5 because Peacock was advertised as having live Olympics content (which I think it teeeechnically does, for a small handful of events) and was bitterly disappointed that I couldn't even watch replays until the day after. I'm assuming the confusing pitch was the point, though, because I'm sure a whoooole lot of people assumed what I and the other poster did, and NBC is all the richer for it. Not the best way to retain users, but a nice little cash infusion for sure.

Yeah it's only like four really high profile events like gymnastics and basketball. Meanwhile the app, which is free as long as you have or can get a cable log in, has everything live and they have seemingly gone out of their way to hide that fact to try to force people onto peacock. I feel like media reporters have also dropped the ball on telling people this in favor of regurgitating the peacock press releases

fast cars loose anus posted:

I remember listening to the end of Michigan/App State second hand on sports radio as I was driving to College Station, where the guys doing the show had BTN and were live updating listeners as the end of the game happened

It's actually one of my fondest CFB memories; the moment they yelled IT GOT BLOCKED I nearly ran off the road

Iowa's main cable provider, which was the only thing you could get in my dorm, didn't even have BTN until the next season which was annoying at the time but in hindsight saved me from watching one of the most dire Ferentz seasons and freed me up to just watch the craziness that was going on everywhere else in college football in 2007 instead

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 4, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

RumbleFish posted:

Their streaming platform apps are the absolute worst, too. So hard to find anything on them, especially the olympic sports.

Also, they left the beam finals off replays to force people to have to tune in to the main stream to watch because they knew it was their cash cow star power and didn't want people to skip around.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 4, 2021

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

RumbleFish posted:

Someone on Twitter (can't remember who) also pointed out how lovely this fragmentation across streaming services will be for sports bar/public viewing purposes. It can be hard enough getting a server to put the game on that you requested, given the variance of cable packages; good luck if you want to watch something that isn't technically on TV at all.

It's a bunch of drat bullshit! The only reason I have cable at all is for live sports and I'm very near cutting it off completely and finding pirate streams for everything.

Everything with any semblance of good or fun must be loving ruined at all costs

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RumbleFish posted:

I am among the tricked and will not be retaining peacock after this. I might have if they hadn't been so lovely about the Olympics.

MourningView posted:

Yeah it's only like four really high profile events like gymnastics and basketball.

It isn't even all of the basketball games. Just the US ones. The only non-US games they even have on repeat (at least when I checked last night), are the Slovenia games. Really lovely that they advertised getting it for the Men's BBall tournament and didn't include the whole tournament.

I wonder if they add some Notre Dame documentaries and highlights in a Notre Dame section that will replace the Olympic section of the app.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

It's a bunch of drat bullshit! The only reason I have cable at all is for live sports and I'm very near cutting it off completely and finding pirate streams for everything.

Everything with any semblance of good or fun must be loving ruined at all costs

I was the same way with only having cable for sports, and I did eventually cut it off in favor of YouTube TV -- and then loving Sinclair dropped all their regional sports networks from streaming services, so I can't watch my local pro NBA, NHL, or MLB teams unless I go back to cable (or sign up for whatever expensive, bullshit Bally app they're gonna roll out next year). Absurd.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

They are 100% trying to trick people just to get them hooked on streaming The Office nonstop

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They wildly overestimate how much of the office's second life was about the office and not just it being a thing on Netflix that had a lot of episodes

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

kayakyakr posted:

Renewed the league. Seeing if Webbeh is still alive or if baby has taken over his life completely.

Thinking about starting a discord server for it. Would anyone join?

I'm alive! Yes, discord would loving own bones.

also holy gently caress we've been doing this for a decade

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975549

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

They wildly overestimate how much of the office's second life was about the office and not just it being a thing on Netflix that had a lot of episodes

Yeah.

I loved The Office, but let's be realistic: you can find all the good bits on YouTube.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Sash! posted:

Yeah.

I loved The Office, but let's be realistic: you can find all the good bits in the Fun Pranks for Jim to Play on Dwight thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ah yeah, The Office. Great show, easily the third or fourth best sitcom airing on NBC on a given Thursday night throughout its run.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was just amazed every time I saw like a teen in a Dunder-Mifflin t-shirt, which was pretty often, but now there's like three times as many sporting Friends apparel which is even more disorienting

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
it's sucks that of the main cast of seinfeld, one is a pedophile and the other is a racist, otherwise you could continue to stan that poo poo forever

at least the remaining one is a loving jewel

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

it's sucks that of the main cast of seinfeld, one is a pedophile and the other is a racist, otherwise you could continue to stan that poo poo forever

at least the remaining one is a loving jewel

She's the scion of a billionaire :thermidor:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

General Dog posted:

Ah yeah, The Office. Great show, easily the third or fourth best sitcom airing on NBC on a given Thursday night throughout its run.

There was a period of like 2 years where NBC had this two-hour block on thursday nights consisting of The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, and Community, and I think it's safe to say that that was the greatest two-hour programming block to ever exist on television

The Office was the weak link and it's not even close though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pakled posted:

There was a period of like 2 years where NBC had this two-hour block on thursday nights consisting of The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, and Community, and I think it's safe to say that that was the greatest two-hour programming block to ever exist on television

Yeah I would watch that block but take a break and skip the office

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have 2 coworkers who love the office, but I never got into it and I just don't have interest. I also know a person whose identity is essentially the office.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Thermos H Christ posted:

Honest question, when was the last time anyone really made an old-school power run offense work for them? At the highest level it had to be the heyday of Bama and LSU but they both eventually abandoned it after it became obvious that even the best defense was going to give up 30+ points to high powered spread offenses sometimes and you have to be able to score to win. I get that you have to do something different instead of just being a worse version of what everybody plays against every week, but beefslam ball definitely seems like a counterintuitive strategy for a team that is rarely if ever going to be bigger and stronger than the teams lined up across from them.

i mean georgia was running what amounted to a caveman offense up until monken, but even that had a decent amount of wco/spread passing concepts... i'm thinking the huskers under pelini? most bielema teams? big ten is about the only conference you can get away with it in because you can recruit offensive linemen who are just bigger than the competition and your (non ohio state) opponents aren't especially interested in pushing the tempo

i'm also selling leipold a bit short by calling his scheme just power running, he rolls with a lot of different schemes and formations. it just seems like kansas wanted to go against the grain in the big 12 for their rebuild and that immediately went to poo poo now that they're in the big ten and lots of teams do what they want to do

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

i'm also selling leipold a bit short by calling his scheme just power running, he rolls with a lot of different schemes and formations. it just seems like kansas wanted to go against the grain in the big 12 for their rebuild and that immediately went to poo poo now that they're in the big ten and lots of teams do what they want to do

I just keep going back to the thought that Kansas football doesn't need to be good, they just need to be ok. Being ok by Kansas standards is winning two or three conference games and going to a bowl every other or every third year or so.

Also I think we're jumping the gun a bit on imagining things here because I don't believe this is happening anytime soon for a second.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2019 UGA somehow ran a Flintstonian offense with a RB rotation of D'Andre Swift and Brian Herrien, it was like watching the football equivalent of Harrison Bergeron. Me, even if my overrated QB has a flatline case of the yips, I'm sweeping and screening and getting those quick dudes in space, but nah, let's take 80 hours to get the play down to the field and that play is "D'Andre Swift runs into his center's rear end."

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I was just amazed every time I saw like a teen in a Dunder-Mifflin t-shirt, which was pretty often, but now there's like three times as many sporting Friends apparel which is even more disorienting

I’ve noticed quite a few Callahan from Tommy Boy shirts this summer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Well they're certainly not doing anything until they find a QB that can actually throw.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I love the office but it ran too long and got really wrapped around the axle and up its own rear end. Not sure when would’ve been the best time to wrap it up but maybe when michael left? It had been flagging for awhile by then.

I still think prime The Office is better than Parks and Rec though.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Pakled posted:

That was really the last time I watched network TV, aside from sports.

While we are on the topic on lovely streaming services, I've had BTN since its inception, first on DirecTV, and then later on PlayStation Vue and YouTube TV after I switched to streaming only in 2016. BTN was one of the first content providers to have a good app for streaming, so long as you had an existing cable subscription. It boggles my mind that so many services still depend on this rather than direct subscription, which is why I haven't watched an Orioles game in 6 years. But anyway, BTN's app would allow you to stream from anywhere in the world, and I watched a live game one night in Italy on the hotel's barely functional wifi, which was awesome. But then Fox took over the Big Ten's broadcasting and had their own app/browser based service, which then restricts you to being in the United States, regardless of your subscription to the Big Ten Network. There are tons of Big Ten expats all over the world. It's insane they refuse to take money from people who want to watch the games.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

General Dog posted:

MourningView posted:

a handful of companies owning the majority a very tiny industry is a lot different a slightly bigger handful owning the majority of a gigantic one this is not that hard. Of course there were fewer companies when every TV got like four stations

Hmmm I wonder if the TV industry was a larger part of people's overall media consumption in the past. Nah, I'm sure they had the Internet back then too

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

GD_American posted:

Hmmm I wonder if the TV industry was a larger part of people's overall media consumption in the past. Nah, I'm sure they had the Internet back then too

I don't know how this is an argument about the post you are quoting but while tv consumption is a lot more spread out now I don't think it's actually significantly smaller overall. "watching TV" is a fairly significant chunk of people's internet usage

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I have 2 coworkers who love the office, but I never got into it and I just don't have interest. I also know a person whose identity is essentially the office.

You gotta skip the first season straight up. I really didn't like any of S1, but S2-5 maybe even 6 are real prime sitcom entertainment.

Parks and Rec was the best of those, most consistent, thoroughly upbeat, almost never mean, with great character payoffs for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I love the office but it ran too long and got really wrapped around the axle and up its own rear end. Not sure when would’ve been the best time to wrap it up but maybe when michael left? It had been flagging for awhile by then.

Obviously when Steve Carrell left