Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

i used to work a mile and a half away from here when i was in grad school :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

missile plants have more empty space around them

just like the fertiliser plants do, right? lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

SmokaDustbowl posted:

just like the fertiliser plants do, right? lmao

its so weird to me that we have to manufacture plant fertilizer.

like you pay to get rid of poo, then you pay mine a bunch of fossil fuel and stuff and pay to run a factory that produces artificial poo

as a silicon valley guy, it really seems like the poo poo industry is ripe for disruption

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

hbag posted:

i live in northwest england dont you loving dare ever compare me to a londoner again

the gently caress's the difference?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the accent

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The haber process makes fertilizer out of thin air and it's absolutely amazing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

The haber process makes fertilizer out of thin air and it's absolutely amazing

idk i remember them using a lot of coal

edit:

quote:

The major source of hydrogen is methane from natural gas. The conversion, steam reforming, is conducted with steam in a high-temperature and -pressure tube inside a reformer with a nickel catalyst, separating the carbon and hydrogen atoms in the natural gas. Other fossil fuel sources include coal, heavy fuel oil and naphtha,

i guess it just gets the nitrogen out of the air, which seems like a good place to get it from.

rotor fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 5, 2021

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvbAdK4l804

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

DELETE CASCADE posted:

loadsamoney vs. buggerallmoney

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

there's lots of kinds of fertilizer and you gotta get non nitrogen stuff somewhere else

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

idk i remember them using a lot of coal

it's theoretically possible to make ammonia entirely from air and water, though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cjs: wild hair up my rear end, thinking about housing.

https://www.zillow.com/b/221-Baltic-Ave-Caspian-MI/46.063184,-88.629224_ll/

Thinking about sending a blind letter to this house offering a cashier's check for it.

That's the house my grandparents raised my father and all my aunts and uncles in.

Idea is to live in the UP spring through fall, airbnb or short term rent a place in a warmer climate for the winter.

At least i'd loving own something before I die, and it'd soothe my soul.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonny 290 posted:

Thinking about sending a blind letter to this house offering a cashier's check for it.

That's the house my grandparents raised my father and all my aunts and uncles in.

Idea is to live in the UP spring through fall, airbnb or short term rent a place in a warmer climate for the winter.

do it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

corollary: so long as you're comfortable with distance to hospital what with the ol' ticker issues

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CinJuVtdp3Y

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

looks like a nice house. do you actually want to have the family memories linked to it?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

it's theoretically possible to make ammonia entirely from air and water, though.

wow check out noted alchemist john deez nuts over here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
don't do ever money dealings with family

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Town that size if you meet a nice woman you'll have to double-check that you aren't cousins. Why not find a place closer to the regional metropolis of Iron River

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

or the storied megalopolis of iron mountain!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, both of the houses hold a lot of joyful memories for me. We visited every Christmas and sometimes in the summer too.

There is NO economy up there so everything is super cheap; they do have a small hospital in town and thank you for bringing that up. And as long as I can get a somewhat passable cable modem at either, i can work no problem.

the whole area is just peppered with these tiny clear water ice cold lakes that were created by god herself. they're so beautiful.

I just emailed a couple assessors finding out who's got jurisdiction and asking if they can give me any info on the current owners.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thirty three thousand dollars for a perfectly nice little home. it would be twenty or thirty times as much in the bay area. gently caress's sake.

we need to invent some sort of teleportation ASAP. imagine how quickly the real estate market would collapse if people could just put on a ring and step through a portal like doctor strange. live wherever the gently caress you want and just pop out anywhere else on earth when you need to. ugh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how quiet is the quiet part

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

we need to invent some sort of teleportation ASAP. imagine how quickly the real estate market would collapse if people could just put on a ring and step through a portal like doctor strange. live wherever the gently caress you want and just pop out anywhere else on earth when you need to. ugh

That's actually the big moving part in this. Assuming that I don't winter there*, how am I gonna get in and out in october and february? Nearest airport is Rhinelander, WI which has puddle jumpers to MSP. One hour drive. I'd keep it furnished and would hire a property manager over the winter, so transport is the only question. Might be feasible (as long as Nargle's still alive) to just roadtrip it tbh.

* we're talking 8 feet of snow on the ground when I was a kid. Climate change may have knocked that down, though, but regardless i may be able to preserve sanity longer by short term renting at lower latitudes over the winter.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

thirty three thousand dollars for a perfectly nice little home. it would be twenty or thirty times as much in the bay area. gently caress's sake.

it might as well be in the desert though, that's ghost town poo poo

jonny does have reliable cars though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

what'd be really wild is if you could just work from anywhere on earth via some kind of global computer network

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I don't even see a power line to the house, or any sort of infrastructure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats the trick. i gotta have a cable modem there at least. i assume they have broadband up there but we will see.

also lol i bet amazon prime takes like 5 days but who cares

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I don't even see a power line to the house, or any sort of infrastructure

everything's buried there. you cant have overhead power lines when you get 27 feet of snow total each winter

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

everything's buried there. you cant have overhead power lines when you get 27 feet of snow total each winter

I see the gas line but no power, and look at that sidewalk.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes it is a dying former mining town, sorry smoka there is no bus service here and the best you get for "infrastructure" here is an IGA that might have one kind of salsa.

i know what's involved living up there, and all of it involves a slower, more thoughtful life

also i could cut a check for it tomorrow and still have enough left over for a 4wd pickup, dirt bike, 30 foot radio tower (there's no code compliance in these towns lol), and biweekly road trips out to iron mountain to stock up on essentials at walmart

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
on the plus side you could pretty much blast music and do whatever you wanted and nobody would call the pigs because they don't go to wherever that is lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I see the gas line but no power, and look at that sidewalk.

looks like power comes off lines in the back "alley" behind the lots

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i know what's involved living up there, and all of it involves a slower, more thoughful life

are you absolutely sure about this? because what seems slower and more thoughtful can be a real pain up the rear end

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh actually nearest walmart is in Houghton which is a couple of hours out. still nbd

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

are you absolutely sure about this? because what seems slower and more thoughtful can be a real pain up the rear end

i mean if i try it for a couple years and it sucks hard i sell the place, maybe eat one paycheck of losses on it tops and try again elsewhere

what a good story though if it ended up working for a while

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I wish I could have a back yard

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've contemplated doing something similar and just writing a cheque for a rancher in a township in bumfuck saskatchewan or new brunswick but I needs me my big fancy internet connection and I hate snow

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

do it dude, dont let it be one of those things that gets talked about and never done

make the offer! if that doesn't work buy a different house that's 50k or less. i'd do something similar, but moving a kid around yearly is a terrible idea. i'd probably get something in the smokies, but you feel me

do it!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

do it dude, dont let it be one of those things that gets talked about and never done

I disagree, it's a huge investment. hire an inspector before you put it down at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my grandfather built it. it doesnt need to be inspected lol

(of course it does, i'd do all that)