Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Solidarity [PF2E Magaambya/SoT Adventure Path]

A magic school like no other! The oldest and most prestigious magic academy in the world is the Magaambya, an ancient institution founded by the greatest wizard the world has ever known. This wizard vanished long ago, but his sinister enemies plot against his school and those who attend it. Over their long academic career, the heroes rise from humble students to become teachers, and they ultimately hold the fate of the school in their hands. Graduates of the Magaambya are among the greatest wardens of the world, but if the heroes can't marshal the strength of thousands who have come before them, the venerable Magaambya might fall!

~~~

Listen, for this is a story that means something. The devastation of Earthfall resulted in the deaths of too many people to count, and the obliteration of civilizations erased much of humanity’s knowledge.
The man credited with bringing magic back to humanity was Old-Mage Jatembe, a folk hero and a myth to the people of the Mwangi Expanse. During the Age of Anguish that followed Earthfall, Old-Mage Jatembe and his students, the Ten Magic Warriors, traveled the Mwangi Expanse and beyond to deliver lore and, with it, hope.
Perhaps the greatest and most long lasting of Jatembe’s achievements was founding the oldest--and perhaps the greatest--magic school in the world, the Magaambya.

To this day the Magaambya strives to spread the same knowledge and hope that Old-Mage Jatembe and the Ten Magic Warriors did long ago. Teaching a blend of arcane and primal traditions, the Magaambya aims to do more than educate wizards and druids; it hopes to act in service for all of Golarion.

You've never been hungry. You might think you have, but you don't know the difference.

Between the distraction and irritation of a single night without dinner, and the dull agony of days without a single grain passing your lips, weeks or months without anything of substance, feeling your body waste away even as it somehow keeps moving. Between a long day chopping wood or hauling sacks of grain as a lark, and the deep, desperate weariness of scrabbling together enough to survive for years on end, thankful every day for the privilege of working yourself to the bone. Between childish fights with rivals, scraps with bandits and monsters, and killing a complete stranger just on the faintest of chances they might some day steal your bread, or sell you out.

The gods have smiled on you, even if you'll deny it, even if you'll protest, that you've struggled and strived to get where you are.
And it is true. You have indeed struggled. There are two things you need in this world: opportunity, and will. Both good luck and hard work. Certainly, hard work is necessary, opportunity must be capitalized, and I'd never call you a layabout. But hard work needs a fertile field, and even if you never acknowledged it at the time, your fields were most certainly fertile. If they were truly barren, you'd have never made it this far.

Pray your good luck endures.

You might've heard, but Paizo just released a new Adventure Path, set in a magic academy! It's super neat! The characters are meant to be new initiates, freshlings at the wizard school. The first part of the adventure has you doing chores and assignments, learning the value of community and responsibility, and solidarity woo title drop, and then also fighting a whole lot of giant insects. There are also a bunch of cute little pesky gremlins! Adorable!
Eventually you become a teacher, go to a whole other planet, and save the school, all sorts of stuff like that. There's also a bunch of downtime, academic stuff, montages, fast forwarding years or even decades at a time. This page has a spoileriffic overview of the whole thing. Full disclosure: although I would be absolutely, unimaginably thrilled to complete the entire AP, the pace of PbPs is usually pretty slow. I do feel like the first two parts are definitely doable on a reasonable timescale, and going for three out of six is my aspirational stretch goal. I'm not planning on just ending the game or anything (although we might skip number four to jump directly to going to another frikken planet if we do get that far), I just want to set reasonable expectations.

I'm leaning towards six characters at the moment, with the assumption that's probably going to slip to five or four after a while. Part of the premise is that there are a whole bunch of other new students, which means it'll be pretty easy to have someone gently drift away from the group, step just offstage, and then come back if they think it'll work out again later on. It's a lot better to explicitly leave than to drag things if you're not finding the time or motivation to post for whatever reason, and there'll always be a spot to come back.
In terms of your application, the most important things to post are your background, and why you were accepted to the Magaambya. This could be something like having a familial connection, encountering a traveling teacher and impressing them, or having a mentor with ties to the Magaambya who referred you further. Go into detail, either of the serendipitous encounter or the historical connection you have. This is probably the most restrictive facet of character creation: you're going to need to explain why you're a good fit for being a student at a magic academy, and how you got noticed.

The timeline depends on interest, but because of some scheduling stuff, and because people might want to take the time to get the Mwangi setting book for ideas on how to handle local characters, I'm going to tentatively set the deadline at two weeks, August 18th. This absolutely isn't a first come, first served sort of deal. That said, please come to the Discord and float some ideas, maybe give them time to develop.

Also, I do eventually want things like a portrait and a character sheet, and you should anticipate some fights and stuff. This is still Pathfinder.

Character Concepts

I'm almost always open to new and weird options. The only thing I'm pre-emptively banning are dragonborn, I loving hate dragonborn (kobolds, including big and very dragon-y kobolds, are fine). I like weird stuff like rabbit people and centaurs, lizardfolk and shadow people, I like psionics and guns.
For this game, I'm going to make an effort to sort of stick to the canon of the setting, even though I'm not very familiar with Golarion. I'm reading the Mwangi book pretty thoroughly, and when I'm introducing new elements I'm going to make an effort to make them fit. When I introduce "foreigners" from Cheliax or Taldor or whatever, I'm still going to make an effort to get their story all lined up.

The easiest thing to do with new and strange elements is to have them be from some unspecified area. For example, if you want to play a rabbit person, I frankly have no idea where those would be in Golarion and don't care, we can figure that out later.
However, if you want to have someone who's local, I'm going to ask that they generally fit the setting. This is going to be a process of learning, for me at least, and things like different groups or towns are of course fine, but you'll still need to fit in with the broad strokes of how the Mwangi is described.

Multiple Domains

Solidarity is going to involve PbP, Discord, and Roll20.
Roll20 is going to exclusively be for combat; while I understand some people use it for their entire campaigns, I'm more comfortable siloing things off. I don't have a game set up yet, but there's plenty of time before the first actual combat, and we can figure it out later. Very short combats, especially combats that don't require a map, may even just be handled on Discord.
Edit: I'm reminded that I should clearly say that combat is still going to be asynchronous. I'm not in a position to schedule combat night or anything, or do live voice chat. I'd strongly prefer that people do a combat update at least once per day, and if multiple people are on at the same time they can coordinate strategies, but there won't be any scheduled sessions.

The balance between PbP and Discord is going to involve ongoing judgment. I'd like to use Discord for things like back and forth conversations, interactions with a series of actions, things like that, while still keeping most of the meat of the game in PbP. A major part of that is things are going to be copied over into the PbP thread, as a summary of the interaction or conversation.
This can be done by either party: if you think a scene is settled, you can scoop it up from Discord and post it in the main IC thread here. And, generally, if you see a big post in the thread and start drafting a big response, you can and should put it directly in the thread instead of having it in Discord.
I like play by post games, despite all their flaws, and I really want this to be a PbP game with Discord as a helper, for those times when you'd have a dozen single line posts in the past.

Anyway, speaking of Discord, here's the invite link.
I am also learning the particulars of managing Discord; feel free to tell me when I've inevitably hosed up somehow.

Content Advisories

First, this is going to be a game about college. About coming somewhere as a young adult, hearing a lot of very corny and heartfelt speeches about some really abstract ideals, and interacting with a lot of other young adults who think they're way too cool for all that jazz. There are older students, and there are student teachers, and overall there are people who have some some degree of power over you who still think of themselves as your peer.
I'm not interested in depicting or exploring overt sexual violence, or really even any depictions of sex "on camera" in general. However, power dynamics and more subtle forms of pressure are still a form of violence, and even "soft" examples could still be upsetting for some people. If you don't want to be involved in any of this, please tell me whether you'd rather avoid these topics personally or would rather not have them in the game at all, and I'll skip them as appropriate. It's fine to bring it up after you've been selected for the game, please don't worry about "hurting your chances" or anything.

Second, a fairly important plot point for the Mwangi Expanse setting is that Cheliax colonized an area in the south (what's now Vidrian), had a bunch of slaves, and then there was a revolt. There are still remnants of Cheliax and their slaveholding practices, like the ultracapitalist Aspis Consortium, or the Sargavan people, formerly the Cheliax colonists, who now mostly live in and near the pirate center of Bloodcove and are widely reviled, particularly by the Vidric who overthrew them.
Slavery is not accepted in Nantambu, the city that the Magaambya is based in, but, as the adventure path ranges further into different parts of the Mwangi, slavery might come up as a plot point, possibly even with some unscrupulous groups as difficult allies of convenience--for example, there might be a specific branch of the Aspis that are not immediately engaging in slavery that the group might be strongly pressured to deal with diplomatically.
I'm going to try to treat this topic as delicately as possible, but full disclosure I'm a thirty-something white guy*. If you don't trust me to handle even brushing against it, or of handling a game with a setting that "draws inspiration" from real-life African culture in general, I totally understand that.

Character Creation

Please read through the Strength of Thousands Player's Guide.
Go through character creation the normal way, tallying up boosts. Then, take any one particular ability boost and change it to some other ability. For example, an elf could substitute their Dexterity boost with Charisma. However, you can't double up in the same "stage"--you couldn't sub Dex with Cha and then also take Cha as your free racial boost. Also, the cap on a score is strictly 18.
The Common language is Mwangi. As a bonus, you can freely take Taldane (the "normal" Common), either because you came from up north or you happened to study it. Or, you can instead take Xanmba. Or, you can take some other bonus language.
Archives of Nethys has resources from the Mwangi Expanse book, such as being a shisk or having the Wyrmblessed bloodline. However, please do not play a conrasu. I guess dragonborn and conrasu are the only two things that are banned.
Spend gold on personal items and combat equipment. Students will be given room and board along with an Adventurer's Pack and other expedition supplies when appropriate.

Resources
I have easy access to the core books and the Advanced Players Guide, along with the Lost Omens - Mwangi Expanse setting book. I can also look up Paizo stuff on Nethys. If you want to use other resources, please copy out what you're using, and in a "future plans" section on your sheet include anything important you're intending to use in the future. I'm generally fine with Uncommon or Rare or whatever stuff from Paizo, but if you have anything Rare in mind that's central to your plan for your character's development and story, please just run it by me ahead of time.
3rd party resources could be accepted, but it's vital that you disclose all future plans involving 3rd party stuff ahead of time. Low level stuff might seem fine whereas higher level things might be outlandish. Also I don't particularly want to adapt first edition 3rd party material like all the Dreamscarred psionics stuff. If they've updated it to 2e, or maybe if someone else has, then that's more reasonable, but I haven't really kept up on 3rd party stuff so I'm counting on you to have a good sense of it, and to recognize if anything's just outlandish.
I've used outlandish 3rd party stuff before. In retrospect it's just kind of obnoxious. Reskinning and massaging things around is usually the way to go.

The Free Archetype
Starting at level 2, you'll gain a free archetype, as described in the Strength of Thousands Player Guide and the Gamemastery Guide pg 194. You can select any multiclass archetype that gives training in either Arcana or Nature, or you can take Bard or Sorcerer Dedication. If you choose Bard or Sorcerer Dedication, you must somehow gain training in Arcana or Nature otherwise.
You can select a deity-focused archetype such as Cleric Dedication with a patron that normally has a divine skill of Survival such as Gozreh and instead gain training in Nature. Finally, you can fudge this if you have a good story that links your archetype choice to Wizardly or Druidish learning. For example, Archaeologist Dedication is very sensible and close to the theme, and is fine if you otherwise get training in Arcana or Nature; Cavalier Dedication isn't.

zachol fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Example Character Creation

I decide I'm going to make that rabbit person, and briefly consult with the amazing and handsome GM about the options. They slide over a rough "Lapin" ancestry sketch, I like it, and go ahead.

quote:

Rabbitfolk
The Lapin are a willowy, airy sort of people, hard to read, often maligned as vagrants and swindlers.
Names include Root, Barley, Hawthorne, Slate; Iris, Lilac, Willow, Amber; Hazel, Moss, Rime, Sunset
Hit Points: 6
Size: Medium
Speed: 35 feet
Ability Boosts: Dexterity, Wisdom, free
Ability Flaw: Constitution
Languages: Common, additional languages equal to 2+Int.
Traits: Humanoid, Rabbitfolk
Leaping: When performing a High Jump or a Long Jump, you do not need to Stride.
Keen Ears: Hearing is considered a precise sense for you.

Caravaner Rabbitfolk: When you perform either the Subsist or Earn Income actions, doing so takes only four hours, and can be done outside of normal downtime. You can still only perform one Earn Income action per day.
Shipborn Rabbitfolk: When you perform the Climb or Swim actions, treat your speed as if it were 60 feet.

Because the GM is very very busy lazy, they just say that for now I can pick the more generic ancestry feats from the halfling and human lines. For example, Titan Slinger isn't fitting. We can come up with better ones later, there are probably some good options having to do with jumping or keeping a poker face, there's probably a feat that grants a 1d6 kicking unarmed attack, but that doesn't fit Lavender, so it doesn't matter. If we spot ancestry feats elsewhere that fit well (like the catfolk's Well-Met Traveler) we can add those in.
We decide that rabbitfolk are probably mainly from Galt, or at least have a core Galtish culture, with nomadic tendencies. Presumably the political chaos in Galt have thrown the rabbitfolk further afield. Lavender, my character, maybe came from some kind of caravan situation. I don't want to connect the rabbitfolk too deeply to the obvious real world parallel, so I'll try to avoid stereotypes, but some aspects like the common prejudice and suspicion of nomads in caravans will stick.

I look at the section about the multiclass archetype, read between the lines, think about the fundamental concept of the Magaambya as a school for wizards and druids, and decide that an oracle with the tempest mystery fits. The tempest mystery gives training in Nature and is focused on storms, which are also a major part of local traditions regarding druid-y things, so a tempest oracle seems about the same deal as a druid. I decide that Lavender worked on ships in the Inner Sea instead of being in a caravan.
The rest of character creation is pretty standard, just a bunch of choices and then filling in the boxes, and I come up with this:

quote:

Lavender, Oracle 1
Rabbitfolk Sailor
Medium NG Humanoid
Deity: Gozreh (?)

Str 10 (+0)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 10 (+0)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 14 (+2)
Cha 18 (+4)

HP 14 (6 + 8 Oracle)
Perception +5 (2 Wis + 3 T)
Speed 35 feet

AC 16 (10 + 1 Dex + 2 Armor + 3 T)
Trained unarmored, light
Shield +1 (cantrip) Hardness 5

Fort +3 (0 Con + 3 T)
Refl +4 (1 Dex + 3 T)
Will +7 (2 Wis + 5 E)

Spell DC 17 (10 + 4 Cha + 3 T)

Attacks
Spell Attack +7 (4 Cha + 3 T)
Spear +3 (3 T), 1d6 P
Thrown +4 (1 Dex + 3 T), 1d6 P, 20 ft
Sling +4 (1 Dex + 3 T), 1d6 B, 50 ft

Skills
Acrobatics +4 (1 Dex + 3 T)
Arcana +2 (2 Int)
Athletics +3 (0 Str + 3 T)
Crafting +2 (2 Int)
Deception +7 (4 Cha + 3 T)
Diplomacy +7 (4 Cha + 3 T)
Intimidation +4 (4 Cha)
Sailing Lore +5 (2 Int + 3 T)
Medicine +5 (2 Wis + 3 T)
Nature +5 (2 Wis + 3 T)
Occultism +1 (1 Int)
Performance +7 (4 Cha + 3 T)
Religion +5 (2 Wis + 3 T)
Society +4 (1 Int + 3 T)
Stealth +0 (1 Dex - 1 ACP)
Survival +5 (2 Wis + 3 T)
Thievery +0 (1 Dex - 1 ACP)

Languages: Common (Mwangi), Taldane, Elven, Sylvan, Aquan, Iruxi

Feats and Abilities
Leaping: When performing a High Jump or a Long Jump, you do not need to Stride.
Keen Ears: Hearing is considered a precise sense for you.
Shipborn Rabbitfolk (Heritage): When you perform the Climb or Swim actions, treat your speed as if it were 60 feet.
Natural Skill (Ancestry 1): Training in Acrobatics and Performance.
Underwater Marauder (Background 1): You are not flat-footed and don't take the usual penalties for using a bludgeoning or slashing melee weapon while in water.
Tempest Benefit: Can see though wind and water, no penalties to Perception from weather; when you deal physical damage with a non-cantrip air or water spell, you deal an additional 1 electricity damage per spell level.

Spellcasting
Spell Repertoire: Cantrips detect magic, electric arc, message, prestidigitation, shield, stabilize; 1st-level (2/day) air bubble, purify food and drink
Revelation Spells: tempest touch, pushing gust

Equipment
Chain Shirt (5 gp, +2 AC, +3 Dex Cap, -1 ACP, Bulk 1, Chain, Flexible, Noisy)
Explorer's Clothes (1 sp, Bulk L)
Spear (1 sp, 1d6 P, Bulk 1, Hands 1, Spear group, Thrown 20 ft)
Sling (0 sp, 1d6 B, 50 ft range, Reload 1, Bulk L, Sling group, Propulsive)
20 bullets (2 cp, Bulk L L)
Backpack (1 sp)
Healer's Tools (5 gp, Bulk 1, Hands 2)
Total Bulk 3 + 4L; 4 gp, 6 sp, 8 cp

I'm probably missing some things, and I think I'm confused because it seems like I should get a class feat at level 1 but it doesn't include that in what's otherwise a comprehensive table for the oracle on pg 68 of the APG. I also think it's goofy that a chain shirt is a reasonable armor choice for someone who swims a bunch but somehow flexible means the check penalty doesn't apply to Athletics; again, I feel like I'm missing something.
For the ability boosts, the free boosts for ancestry and background are put into Cha, and the 4 free boosts are Con, Int, Wis, and Cha. Finally, I take the one free swap to change the rabbitfolk bonus to Dex into Int.

Overall, seems like a bunch of options, things fit together. Plenty of skills, at least passable combat ability with just spamming the electric arc cantrip for now. I like it. Now I need to spend more time finding a portrait, and think through what exactly her life was like on the ship. Most importantly, I need to figure out a link for how she got into the Magaambya; it's probably going to be something along the lines of showing promise when a teacher happened to be on board that got her a sponsorship.
Then the GM looks at that rabbitfolk entry again and decides it's actually totally unreasonable. Oh well!

Edit: and then someone points at the page right in the APG that literally says oracles get a class feat starting at level 2 and I feel silly.

zachol fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 6, 2021

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 21, 2021

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Newbies are fine!
I might make some suggestions about how to build a character, just in terms of implementation. The more important part is your concept and background.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Scarlet Hood, Fungus Leshy Druid

The streets of Nantambu are truly filled with wonder and magic. Given the proximity to the Magaambya, it's no surprise. Nor, too, is it a surprise that some of the teachers and graduates of such a prestigious academy may well dabble in the sorts of primal magicks that draw Leshy spirits into prepared vessels. Scarlet is one such, though she doesn't quite remember who prepared her vessel, nor has she ever really met them. Or, if she has, she's simply forgotten. There are such wonders to see and experiences to experience and, really, who can be bothered with small problems like that?

Being rather self-sufficient, Scarlet tends to spend most of her days flitting between the child gardens of Nantambu and learning small little snippets from each. She gladly shares her insights into nature, when requested, but honestly spends most of the time goofing off and being harmlessly cute. The children love her. The teachers... also love her, but in a way where they sometimes suggest that another garden has a particularly interesting day planned. Or snacks. Scarlet may not need to eat food, happily subsisting on wherever she settles her roots for the night, but she certainly enjoys it.

It was on one such day where Scarlet met Niana and Takulu. The pair were, of course, well aware of the magical potential of a spirit of nature, but the trio ended up bonding more over a fairly competitive session of bird-watching. For all that facts and figures tend to slide right back on out of Scarlet's eponymous hood, her keen grasp of nature and the natural world are without question. Nor, for that matter, are the keenness of her eyes. After many days, each as carefree and enjoyable as the last, Takulu suggested that Scarlet may well find new excitement at the Magaambyan.

She's still not quite remembered she's supposed to call him Teacher Ot now, but she's far too cute for him to hold it against her.

quote:

Scarlet Hood, Druid 1
Fungus Leshy Sponsored by Teacher Ot
Medium NG Fungus
Deity: N/A

Str 10 (+0)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 18 (+4)
Cha 16 (+3)

HP 18 (8 + 8 Druid + 2 Con)
Perception +7 (4 Wis + 3 T)
Speed 25 feet

AC 15 (10 + 1 Dex + 1 Armor + 3T)
Trained Unarmored, Light, Medium
Raised Shield +2 AC, Hardness 3

Fortitude +5 (2 Con + 3T)
Reflex +4 (1 Dex + 3T)
Will +9 (4 Wis + 5E)

Spell DC 17 (10 + 4 + 3T)

Attacks
Primal Spells +7
Staff +3

Skills
T+7 Survival
T+7 Nature
T+6 Diplomacy
T+2 Lore: Nantambu

+1Acrobatics
-1 Arcana
+0 Athletics
-1 Crafting
+3 Deception
+3 Intimidation
+4 Medicine
-1 Occultism
+3 Performance
+4 Religion
-1 Society
+1 Stealth
+1 Thievery

Languages: Common (Mwangi), Sylvan, Druidic

Feats and Abilities
Darkvision (Heritage): A creature with darkvision or greater darkvision can see perfectly well in areas of darkness and dim light, though such vision is in black and white only.
Harmlessly Cute (Leshy 1): You gain the Shameless Request skill feat as a bonus feat. Additionally, you gain a +1 circumstance bonus to initiative checks when you roll Deception for initiative.
Shameless Request (Bonus): When you Request something, you reduce any DC increases for making an outrageous request by 2, and if you roll a critical failure for your Request, you get a failure instead.
Plant Nourishment (Leshy): You gain nourishment in the same way that the plants or fungi that match your body type normally do, through some combination of photosynthesis, absorbing minerals with your roots, or scavenging decaying matter. You typically do not need to pay for food.
Survey Wildlife (Background): You can spend 10 minutes assessing the area around you to find out what creatures are nearby, based on nests, scat, and marks on vegetation. Attempt a Survival check against a DC determined by the GM based on how obvious the signs are. On a success, you can attempt a Recall Knowledge check with a –2 penalty to learn more about the creatures just from these signs. If you’re a master in Survival, you don’t take the penalty.
Wild Empathy (Druid): You can use Diplomacy to Make an Impression on animals and to make very simple Requests of them. In most cases, wild animals will give you time to make your case.
Leshy Familiar (Leaf): You gain a leshy familiar, a Tiny plant that embodies one of the many spirits of nature. Other than taking the form of a plant instead of an animal, this familiar uses all the same rules as other familiars, which are detailed on page 217.
Shield Block (Druid): You can use the Shield Block reaction.

Spellcasting
Cantrips: Electric Arc, Ray of Frost, Acid Splash, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic
1st: Heal, Hydraulic Push
Focus 2/2: Goodberry

Familiar
Soars On The Wind, Tiny Flower Leshy (5hp, defenses as Scarlet Hood, Perception/Acrobatics/Stealth +5)
Familiar Abilities: Flier, Speech (Mwangi)

Equipment
Leather Armor
Staff (+3, 1d4B)
Holly and Mistletoe
3x Wooden Shield (3 hardness, 12(6)hp)
4 bulk; 14gp

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 5, 2021

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
At the moment I am looking at a Goloma Investigator, but I am messing around with other ideas as well.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I've got an outline for an Mbe'ke Dwarf Cloud-Dragon-worshipper Barbarian in my head, Unsponsored and extremely driven to make it into the academy. Will post a writeup soon.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'm working on a fey sorceror.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cute mushroom is cute.

Some people in the Discord are mentioning Pathbuilder, which is apparently a neat character builder. I'm still behind the times so I didn't know about it, but it seems helpful, especially if you're new to the system.
I'm certainly not "requiring" it or anything, if only because I can't remake my rabbit person, and it also seems like it hasn't been immediately updated with the newer options. Little curious if there isn't some way to do homebrew. Or if you just need to use it most of the way and then make the last adjustments on top.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

zachol posted:

Example Character Creation

I'm probably missing some things, and I think I'm confused because it seems like I should get a class feat at level 1 but it doesn't include that in what's otherwise a comprehensive table for the oracle on pg 68 of the APG. I also think it's goofy that a chain shirt is a reasonable armor choice for someone who swims a bunch but somehow flexible means the check penalty doesn't apply to Athletics; again, I feel like I'm missing something.
For the most part, martials get class feats at level 1 and casters don't. Humans are the exception and get an ancestry feat to give them an extra level 1 class feat.

Also the check penalty doesn't apply to anyone who meets the Str requirement. You only suffer it if you're not strong enough to wear the armor, and flexible partly walks that back.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Oh, it's right there. Well, good to know.

Regarding the ACP, it's just odd that it would never apply to swimming, even without the strength requirement. It's probably just a third edition "tons of fiddly penalties mindset," but I would've expected some further penalty to swimming, possibly from carried bulk or whatever, for the sake of "realism."

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Armor's speed reduction also applies to swimming, which is a big deal if you're not strong enough for your armor or are wearing most heavy armors.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bhekimp'lo, Undine Mbe'ke Dwarf (Beck for short and for easier pronunciation)
Barbarian (Cloud Dragon Instinct - statblock says blue because I built it in Pathbuilder)
Background: Unsponsored
Deity: Uvuko, The Diamong Ring
Alignment: Neutral

Bhekimp'lo may have been born the seafaring son of a seafarer's son, but he is nothing if not stubborn. Angry enough to yearn for a world bigger than he can see from the deck of a ship, but stubborn enough to follow some Magaambyan back to Nantambu and demand the right to be tested for admission. The Magaambya are wise after all, surely a man with his grit and determination would make as able a student as any soft noble or pampered scribe.

Without a sponsorship, they said, he would need to wait for a public appointment. The list was five months long for a fifteen minute interview. There were no exceptions, no flexibility, and no mercy. Waiting those five months was the greatest test of patience of Bhekimp'lo's life, but he was certain that it would be worth the wait.

When his time came, a Gnome arcanist was chosen to test his knowledge. The ageless woman's features were bleached white in the way many of her kind eventually become, and she was as humorless as the legends say. The test was short; it took only 9 minutes of conversation and questioning before she made her determination. And while Bhekemp'lo was clearly a man of imposing physicality, his insightful and observant mind was nearly a match for many of the new students who had the finest formal educations Nantambu had to offer. In spite of this, the Dwarf's stubborn inflexibility proved to be his downfall - he was rejected.

"Bhekimp'lo... tell me about the feeding habits of the magical panther shark of the Eastern Sea."
"Very strange creatures, they eat only vampire jellyfish, only fish I've ever seen do that."
"So you believe that these products of an insane wizard's experimentation, born of magic and nearly invisible to sight... choose only to hunt tiny, completely blind jellyfish?"
"That's right."

The gnome's lecture on the consequences of lying rather than admitting ignorance made Bhekimp'lo angry, but he contained his rage. Her history on the shark's origin, and its ability to sustain itself by drawing on energy from the shadow plane in the dark depths of the ocean rather than eating other fish was by design, to create a guardian that could live far from other creatures. And the most infuriating part - she was completely wrong. Whatever scholar wrote that treatise centuries ago, clearly they were making things up that they thought nobody would check, and now those lies were just "facts." That made him the angriest of all. He walked out of the room, but a deep fury rumbled inside him, barely contained.

The next time Bhekimp'lo came to the school, he didn't wait five months for his interview. Still dripping as he stepped off a boat, he stormed into the academy, brushing past proctors and frustrated bureaucrats. He walked right into that gnome's office, slammed a dead 7-foot panther shark on her desk, and sliced its belly open. Fifty vampire jellies came pouring out, barely even chewed. "They eat shadow energy? Maybe you should get out of your office more."

Though he mostly just wanted to prove a point, it turns out that gnomes can literally be bored to death, and in gratitude for a pleasant surprise, Bhekimp'lo was admitted to the Rain-Scribes later that day. Anyone correcting an error on the part of the 600-year-old vice-dean was welcome to keep testing their luck. Bhekimp'lo is up to the challenge.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 6, 2021

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I’ll put up my Tiefling swashbuckler when I get back from my holiday, which means, practically, I’ll be sliding it just under the wire on the 17th.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

The elf, right? I really liked the concept. We'll be waiting~~

Beck is neat. Maybe some details about his hometown life? Or was it a nomadic ship deal?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

zachol posted:

The elf, right? I really liked the concept. We'll be waiting~~

Beck is neat. Maybe some details about his hometown life? Or was it a nomadic ship deal?
I was riffing on the "Mbe'ke Vessels" sidebar from the Mwangi Espanse book, talking about how they have basically giant floating fortresses as sailing ships, and the hometown would be a nomadic ship, yeah. Let's call the ship the "Cloudless Day." I could come up with some details but I don't know the setting that well to tie in with specific people and places, if I'm being honest. The gist would be a guy with a simple life as a sailor, the family business, and he's dissatisfied by the simplicity of it all, and maybe to some degree rebellious against the rigid dwarven clan relationships and societal roles. Even traveling all over the world, being on the ship felt like he was always in the same place, doing the same thing, and Beck wanted more excitement, and wanted to be free of people always telling him "no". I could write more, but I figure he's a level 1 guy who's very good at fighting but wants to be something else, and the stuff he's already done isn't very exciting to him. (which is a little ironic because diving into the ocean headfirst to spear a rare panther shark might be just 'doing his chores' to Beck.)

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Visshenia, Shisk Cleric of Nethys

Appearance: Visshenia, like all Shisk, sports a series of hard quill-like plumage rather than hair or fur. Striking among her kind is the extensive Nethys-mark - the pale tones at odds with the rest of her smooth ochre skin. These patches of paleness are believed to represent the favor of that two-essenced deity, and is a large reason her life has taken the path it has. She is rather tall and thin, her height offering her a measure of resilience over frailness, though her physical grace is more of an aspect of her charisma and grooming, rather than dexterity or finesse.

Upbringing: Trained in the divine arts from that early age, the cult of Nethys is a secretive body of worship that often works even against itself, in a mirror of the fractured nature of their god. The group is nominally neutral, though observants branch out from the true neutral center, and different factions or leaders can push more lawful, chaotic, evil or good paths depending on their goals and wants. When her physical appearances were backed up by divine talent and knowledge, she was taken into the cult directly, though still remains unproven for more than the lowest rung, though many agree her potential rises far above that.

Personality: She has her peoples' natural obsessions with secrets, lending her to speak briefly in conversation with strangers whose goals she doesn't divine. This is often read as haughtiness or arrogance, and she does indeed hold those traits in part especially in Academic settings. But - she also wields talents of healing, scribing and mending that are offered to any in need, often for the simple exchange of an 'interesting story' from the needful's lives, and such folks tend to look past her demeanor in favor of the simple and magical help she can provide.

Goals: In the worship of Nethys, the pursuit of magic and knowledge is paramount. As such, the school of Magaambya was always a natural draw and she often accompanied the few Shisk who visited or traded with the college. Only recently, however, has the cult given it's blessing and approval for her to attend as an exclusive student. She intends to seek out the teachers of Wizardry and Alchemy at the school, furthering her understanding of Nethys's teachings and the more applicable magical arts.

Charsheet posted:

Visshenia, Cleric 1
Shisk Cultist
Medium NG Humanoid
Deity: Nethys

Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 10 (+0)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Intelligence: 18 (+4)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 12 (+1)

HP :17 (? + ? Cleric)
Perception +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Speed 25 feet

AC: 13 (10 + 0 Dex + 0 Armor + 3 T)
Trained unarmored

Fort +4 (1 Con + 3 T)
Refl +3 (0 Dex + 3 T)
Will +8 (3 Wis + 5 E)

Spell DC 16 (10 + 3 Wis + 3 T)

Attacks
Spell Attack +7 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Straff +3 (3 T), 1d8 B

Skills
Acrobatics +0 (0 Dex)
Arcana +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Athletics +0 (0 Str)
Crafting +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Deception +4 (1 Cha + 3 T)
Diplomacy +4  (1 Cha + 3 T)
Intimidation +4  (1 Cha + 3 T)
Medicine +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Nature +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Occultism +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Performance +4 (1 Cha + 3 T)
Religion +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Society +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Stealth +0 (0 Dex)
Survival +3 (3 Wis)
Thievery +0 (0 Dex)
Lores
Academia Lore +7 (Int 4 + 3 T)
Cult Lore +7 (Int 4 + 3 T)
Deity (Nethys) Lore +7 (Int 4 + 3 T)
Magaambya Lore +7 (Int 4 + 3 T)
Scribing Lore +7 (Int 4 + 3 T)
Shisk Lore +7 (Int 4 + 3 T)

Languages
Common (Mwangi)
Common (Taldane) *Bonus from DM
Common (Xanmba)
Osiriani
Shisk
Undercommon

Feats
Heritage: Lorekeeper Shisk
Cleric: Domain Initiate (Magic)
Ancestry: Shisk Lore
Background: Schooled in Secrets

Abilities
Cleric: Anathema
Cleric: Deity (Nethys)
Cleric: Divine Font (Healing)
Cleric: Divine Spellcasting
Cleric: Divine Doctrine (Cloistered Cleric)
Heritage: Lorekeeper Shisk (Academia)

Equipment
Explorer's Clothing, Basic Crafter's Book, Artisan's Tools, Clothing (Ordinary), Material Component Pouch, Writing Set, Rubbing Set, Alchemist's Lab, Alchemist's Tools, (2sp remaining)

Cult Stuff: For the cult, I would fully enjoy fleshing out their actual goals and practices with your approval, but also am totally fine leaving its deeper workings entirely in your hands. I imagine they might send cryptic or innocuous tasks for her to accomplish, and if some of these put her at odds with her cohort, it will be interesting to see which ones win out, or how much she can toe both lines. In the end, her neutral-good outlook will have her side more with the cohort than evilish outcomes, and it could be fun to explore that tension. If the Cult idea sounds like too much work or off-tone, I would probably switch to the Blessed Background and follow a more traditional Clerical Path.

Experience: I was in a long tabletop campaign of Pathfinder 1E a couple years back, but have no experience with 2E yet. I used the Pathbuilder app that was recommended, so let me know if anything looks wonky or incorrect. There are probably rules I'm missing out on. I'll try and do some more reading this weekend to cut down some of my edition ignorance if this app seems viable.

Availability: Weekday Afternoons (US Eastern Time) are almost always free, and even when I'm working I can get in quick responses, though probably not longer or interactive scenes. Intermittent weeknights and weekends otherwise are good, though Friday is usually date night with the husband.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Orvald Nylund, Ulfen Human Champion

"Strength of arm, strength of heart, and strength of conviction. These are what I ascribe to have. May it be enough."

Warrior-priests and warrior-mages are certainly not an uncommon sight. Indeed, Orvald, raised on tales of valorous warriors from their ancestry, could have simply continued the trend and traveled the icy shores of their homeland as a bodyguard or wandering priest. However, there was a yearning for something more in their heart, a desire to become something "extra." It was not enough to simply protect one's charge and the peace, but to actively seek and aid others wherever possible. Sarenrae, while perhaps not the most popular option among Ulfen, is common enough to still be practiced anywhere. Digging into the history of this deity, a passage about meeting with and forming a bond with the sun deities of the Mwangi Expanse.

From there, looking into that region, they read of The Magaambya, and aspirations formed: they would travel to that academy, enroll, learn to harness the arcane alongside the divine, and weave them together alongside their own physical strengths to become their idealized vision of the term "champion." Their family, while perhaps leery of the prospect of leaving home to pursue a new faith in a new land, also recognized their son's conviction and the call to a higher purpose, and helped arrange for transport by boat along the shores.

Unfortunately, they were an unknown in an unfamiliar region. Their expedition took them through the Sodden Lands, a miserable trudge through soaking wet swampland with naught but what lurks beneath the muck for company. The Nantanbu wasn't much better to traverse, but at least there were people to greet and places to rest at, and Mwangi was surprisingly simple enough to gain conversational fluency in. That things were getting easier gave them hope and reaffirmation that they were meant to be there, and this carried them all the way to the academy premises.

It was at this point they were struck with the unfortunate reality of their situation: they were an exhausted foreigner who had trekked all the way from home to try to enroll in a university without first contacting the place in question or seeking a sponsorship. They had been acting on faith alone that they would be accepted with open arms. This would be the point in which someone else would have hung their head in shame at their own actions or buckled beneath the weight of their disappointment. Orvald, however, laughed. It was quite a silly situation to be in, to be away from home and without anything to show for it but a coat of swamp algae on their clothes, but one far from insurmountable.

Perhaps that valor was what the interviewer saw in them, in this young man who had traveled far to learn more about their faith from another culture and acquire additional skills simply because they felt it was the right path to take. Perhaps discussion of the route they took garnered some degree of respect. Perhaps it was simply serendipity that there was a vacancy in the Tempest-Sun Mage branch. Orvald was never made privy to the deciding factor. What mattered, though, was that they were given a chance. It was now time to make good on the faith that this institution had placed upon them, buckle down, and be the best they could be. Hopefully they have the strengths needed to pull it off.

quote:

Orvald Nylund, Champion 1
Unsponsored Versatile Ulfen
Medium LG Human
Deity: Touch of the Sun

Str 18 (+4)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 10 (+0)
Wis 10 (+0)
Cha 16 (+3)

HP 19 (8 + 10 Champion + 1 Con)
Perception +3 (0 Wis + 3 T)
Speed 25 feet (30 -5 Medium Armor)

AC 18 (10 + 1 Dex + 4 Armor + 3T)
Trained Unarmored, Light, Medium, Heavy
Raised Shield +2 AC, Hardness 5

Fortitude +6 (1 Con + 5E)
Reflex +4 (1 Dex + 3T)
Will +5 (0 Wis + 5E)

Champion DC 17 (10 + 4 + 3T)
Spell DC 16 (10 + 3 + 3T)

Attacks
Spell Attack +6 (3 Cha + 3 T)
Gnome Flickmace +7 (4 Str + 3 T), 1d8+4, B, Gnome, Reach
Whip +7 (4 Str + 3 T), 1d4+4, B, Disarm, Finesse, Nonlethal, Reach, Trip

Skills
T+4 Acrobatics
T+7 Athletics
T+6 Diplomacy
T+6 Intimidation
T+3 Lore: Academia
T+3 Religion

+0 Arcana
+0 Crafting
+3 Deception
+0 Medicine
+0 Nature
+0 Occultism
+3 Performance
+0 Society
+1 Stealth (-1 Armor Check)
+0 Survival
+1 Thievery (-1 Armor Check)

Languages: Common (Mwangi), Taldane

Feats and Abilities
Unconventional Weaponry [Gnome Flickmace] (Ancestry)
Intimidating Glare (Background)
Fleet (General)
Shield Block (General)
Ranged Reprisal (Class)
Champion's Code [Good, Paladin] (Class)
Champion's Reaction [Retributive Strike] (Class)

Spellcasting
Focus Pool: 1
Devotion Spells: Lay On Hands

Equipment
Chain Mail (6 gp, +4 AC, +1 Dex Cap, -2 ACP, -5ft Speed, Bulk 2, Chain, Flexible, Noisy)
Metal Shield (2 gp, +2 AC, Bulk 1, Hardness 5, HP (BT) 20 (10
Explorer's Clothing (1 sp, Bulk L)
Gnome Flickmace (3 gp, 1d8 B, Bulk 2, Hands 1, Flail group, Gnome, Reach)
Whip (1 sp, 1d4 B, Bulk 1, Hands 1, Flail group, Disarm, Finesse, Nonlethal, Reach, Trip)
Backpack (1 sp)
x2 Belt Pouch (8 cp)
x2 Sheath (2 cp)
x10 Tindertwig (2 sp)
x4 Torch (4 cp, Bulk L)
Waterskin (5 cp)
Week's Rations (4 sp, Bulk L)
Bedroll (1 cp, Bulk L)
Total Bulk: 6 + 4L; 2 gp, 9 sp

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Imagine that the skin/chitin is ebony instead of pale/white and the eyes are purple instead of red, probably thinner and weaker looking too
Kouzo, Goloma Investigator

Appearance: Kouzo's appearance is largely typical for his kind. His rough skin is more on the dark side with a rich ebony that nearly blends in with the chitin upon his fingers, feet and face. His eyes glow a deep purple. He is a bit on the thin and scrawny side, not particularly lithe but more wiry than bulky.

Upbringing: Kouzo was raised in a hidden village among the jungles of Mwangi by other Goloma. From a young age he had the instinctual fear of others, particularly two-eyes, instilled in him. He learned the legends, the stories, and tales. But Kouzo was a curious child, adventurous and foolish. And Kouzo had trouble understanding how exactly the two-eyes could regain their lost eyes by harvesting the Goloma eyes. As such he took risks that other Goloma wouldn't take. He explored the jungles around his home, and even went further afield. He tried to learn as much as he could. He found books written by others and read them voraciously. He watched two-eyes move through the jungles and surrounding lands. He watched and listened, he read, he found much of what he was taught seemed to be at odds with what he witnessed. He went out of his way to learn as much as he could, to learn as many languages as he could.
And when he was confident enough he began to approach the occasional stranger the occasional two-eyes. Things did not always go well, there was distrust and fear on both sides more than once. However he managed to have actual conversations with these strangers here and there, learning more that he had not yet found in books, hearing about the greater world outside his jungle. One day he came across a particularly strange stranger. This time the stranger approached him instead of the other way around. The stranger had a large head and a frail body. Kouzo couldn't remember much else about them. But this time it was the stranger who questioned Kouzo instead of the other way around, the stranger asked many strange questions but when they were done they suggested that Kouzo might be interested in attending Maagambya. This led to Kouzo questioning what he would do with his life, eventually he decided to leave and make his way to Maagambya, though his fellow villagers tried to talk him out of it, fearing what the two-eyes would do to him.

Personality: Curious. Inquisitive. Odd. Does not really know how to interact with non Goloma that well but is trying to learn. Loves to learn, to hone his skills and improve. Trying to move past his kind's insular nature to become more at home with community.

Goals: Kouzo's goal is to learn all that he can, to keep learning and improving himself. Magaambya was suggested to him and would be a great way to learn about the world, history, magic and so much more. Furthermore it provides a chance to work on his community skills, his kind doesn't particularly do well with others and he wants to improve upon that. Perhaps in time he can bring his education back to his village and help them come to terms with the two-eyes.

pre:
Kouzo, Investigator 1
Goloma Scholar
Medium N Humanoid
Deity: Mother Spider

Dexterity: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

HP :17 (8 Goloma + 8 Investigator + 1 Con)
Perception +8 (3 Wis + 5 E)
Speed 30 feet

AC: 16 (10 + 1 Dex + 2 Armor + 3 T)
Trained unarmored and Light

Fort +4 (1 Con + 3 T)
Refl +6 (1 Dex + 5 E)
Will +8 (3 Wis + 5 E)

Class DC 17 (10 + 4 Int + 3 T)

Attacks
Rapier +4 (1 Dex + 3 T), 1d6 P (finese, deadly d8, disarm)
Rapier (devise a strategem) +7 (4 Int +3 T), 1d6 P (finese, deadly d8, disarm)

Skills
Acrobatics +3 (1 Dex + 3 T - 1 Armor))
Arcana +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Athletics +2 (0 Str + 3 T - 1 Armor)
Crafting +4 (4 Int)
Deception +0 (0 Cha)
Diplomacy +0  (0 Cha)
Intimidation +0  (0 Cha)
Medicine +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Nature +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Performance +0 (0 Cha)
Religion +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Society +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Stealth +4 (1 Dex + 3 T)
Survival +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)
Thievery +4 (1 Dex + 3 T)
Lores

Languages
Anadi
Common (Mwangi)
Common (Xanmba)
Draconic
Goloma
Sylvan

Feats
Investigator: Known Weaknesses
Methodology:  Battle Medicine, Forensic Acumen
Ancestry: Pierce the Darkness
Background: Assurance (Arcana

Abilities
Investigator: Clue In (reaction)
Investigator: Darkvision
Investigator: Devise a Stratagem 
Investigator: Forensic Medicine
Investigator: On the Case
Investigator: Pursue a Lead
Investigator: Strategic Strike
Ancestry: Eyes in Back 
Heritage: Farsight Goloma (low-light vision)

Equipment
Explorer's Clothing, Studded Leather, Rapier, Healer's Tools, (9sp, 4 gp remaining)
Experience: I have been playing RPGs since 2000 with 3e D&D. Began playing in games on the forums somewhere around when 4e came out. I have played a number of Pathfinder games online, haven't played any Pathfinder 2e though. I have experience with Play by Post, Discord games both asynchronous and not, and Roll20 games again asynchronous and not. Though I generally prefer asynchronous games these days as I work retail and don't have reliable availability at the same time every week/day.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 7, 2021

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Yay, more characters. Will digest them.

Also, and I want to make it extremely, utterly clear that this is thoroughly optional, but if people want and they get the obsessive fiddler bug and they're utter weirdos like me, again only if people want, they can submit multiple characters.
There are definitely people who will hear that and think "ugh, what a hassle, no way," in which case I'll point you to the repeated use of "if you want," but there are also people with some kind of problem who will hear that and be utterly delighted because the only reason they wouldn't is it's not common practice and they wouldn't want to spam up the thread.
It's me, I'm the person with the problem.

Also also, and here's the actual important announcement, but this is going to be purely asynchronous. Combat, when it happens, will take place on Roll20, and it'll be nice if some people happen to be on at the same time to maybe coordinate some actions, but there will not be scheduled sessions or voice chat.
I just realized I didn't actually make then clear when I was mentioning Roll20 in the opening post. I was in the headspace of having had a conversation about not being able to schedule live games myself in the Pathfinder thread, when some people were floating a Magaambya game.
Also now that I'm thinking of it I bet a lot of people also use Discord for live games, so mentioning both Roll20 and Discord could've easily given that impression. Again, I'm all for people happening to be on simultaneously and coordinating strategies, if it works, but the only "obligation" is that I'd strongly ask people to update combat once per day, which should effectively (hopefully) mean combats take at most two days per round.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Legendary Kineticist I tried throwing together using Legendary Games 2e Legendary Kineticist

pre:
Zandivar, Legendary Kineticist 1
Pixie  Archaeologist
Tiny NG Fey
Deity: 

Strength: 08 (-1)
Dexterity: 16 (+3)
Constitution: 18 (+4)
Intelligence: 14 (+2)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)

HP :16 (6 Sprite + 6 Legendary Kineticist + 4 Con)
Speed 20 feet

AC: 18 (10 + 3 Dex + 2 Armor + 3 T)

Fort +7 (4 Con + 3 T)
Refl +8 (3 Dex + 5 E)
Will +5 (0 Wis + 5 E)

Spell DC 17 (10 + 4 Con + 3 T)

Attacks
Fire Blast +7 (4 Con + 3 T), 1d6+4 Fire (Flourish, 1 action somatic, 120 ft or touch, critical is x2 damage and 1d4 persistent fire)

Skills
Acrobatics +5 (3 Dex  - 1 Armor + 3 T)
Arcana +5 (2 Int + 3 T)
Athletics -2 (-1 Str  - 1 Armor)
Crafting +2 (2 Int)
Deception +1 (1 Cha)
Diplomacy +1  (1 Cha)
Intimidation +4  (1 Cha + 3 T)
Medicine +0 (0 Wis )
Nature +3 (0 Wis + 3 T)
Occultism +5 (2 Int + 3 T)
Performance +1 (1 Cha)
Religion +0 (0 Wis )
Society +5 (2 Int + 3 T)
Stealth +3 (3 Dex )
Survival +3 (0 Wis + 3 T)
Thievery +3 (3 Dex )
Lores
Architecture Lore +5 (2 Int +3 T)
Mwangi Lore +5 (2 Int + 3 T)
Plane of Fire Lore +5 (2 Int +3 T)

Languages
Common (Taldan)
Common (Mwangi)
Common (Xanmba)
Sylvan

Feats
Kineticist: Extended Range
Ancestry: Evanescent Wings
Background: Additional Lore: Mwangi

Abilities
Kineticist: Elemental Conduit (Fire)
Kineticist: Elemental Defense (Fire)
Kineticist: Kineticist Spellcasting
Kineticist: Accept Burn (free action)
Kineticist: Gather Power (1 action)
Kineticist: Refocus (Building a fire, staring into a fire, cooking)
Kineticist: Infusions
Kineticist: Searing Flesh (reaction)
Ancestry: Low-light vision
Ancestry:  Magical Strikes
Heritage: Luminous Sprite

Spells
Fire Blast
Dancing Lights

Infusions
Cone Infusion (1 action verbal, 15 ft cone)

Equipment
Explorer's Clothing, Studded Leather, Rapier, Healer's Tools, (9sp, 4 gp remaining)

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

This sounds great and I'd very much like to join, I'll hop on the discord this afternoon after work!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Me'abi the Quick

Once there was a young girl. Her parents were gone, the world having taken them from her far too soon for any child.

So she was forced to use what she possessed to survive. Which was not much. Only her wits and skill. She begged, she pleaded, and when that failed she stole.

One day she was stealing. Compared to the pick pocket or the robber her method of theft was much simpler. If done right nobody would ever know they were robbed. Three cups, a pebble, and a table. She would challenge passerby to this game. To try and find the pebble.

Of course, the trick was that the pebble wasn't under a cup at all. It was slid up her sleeve while she moved the cups. She had gotten a few coins, when a new individual arrived.

He was an elderly man. His beard stained white, a walking stick used to support his body. An easy looking mark, she called him over. To her delight he accepted the game. But he did something that should not be possible.

He won. He found the pebble, not just once, but three times. It shouldn't be possible to win without her allowing it. With a forced smile she gave him most of her winnings.

Later that day he came back to her, his eyes sharp and looking straight through her. He asked to play again, no money.

Feeling frustrated she almost refused. But her pride was on the line, and she set up the scam again. And again she lost.

He laughed, and then asked her to lift the other two cups. When she did so she could not believe her eyes. Two identical pebbles were underneath them.

"Your mind can be doing so much more good." He said, and reached into his robes. "Take this talisman, and it shall take you where you need to go." It was a wooden carving of a fox's head. Tied to a leather strap to be warn around the neck. The girl accepted the gift, as such things were few and far between in her life.

Three years later, after a lifetime of wandering, she found herself at the gates of the Magaambya.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 8, 2021

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

This seems rad, I'll be working on a character this week to submit. I've played the first edition of PF, but I've been really interested in trying 2E out. I have a few vague ideas, but need to dig into the books/lore a bit more before I float some ideas your way.

Currently idling in the discord as well!

e: after delving into some of the lore, oh dear oh no i have like 3 character ideas brewing all at once that I'll likely submit. Leading options are a Tengu Witch, stranger sponsored, and a Human (Andoran) Bard, family sponsored.

indeed,

zachol posted:

It's me, I'm the person with the problem.

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 9, 2021

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Ranzak, Goblin Alchemist

Appearance: Ranzak is short, green, bald and with sharp teeth. Possibly cute in the right light, but still a typical goblin. His crazed red eyes gleam with curiosity, and are often glazed as the results of something he drank or ate. His skin and clothes are stained and scarred from various alchemical substances. He always seems to have a number of files, pouches, and other odds and ends about his person, ready at any moment to mix possibly dangerous things into even more dangerous things.

Upbringing: Ranzak was raised in a fairly traditional goblin village, filled with a fear of books and horses. However he was filled with a great curiosity and not the best sense of self preservation. He would often leave the village to find various plants and animals, which he would then put in his mouth to see how they tasted, or what they might do. One day as a young goblin he saw a traveling alchemist throw a vial of alchemist's fire. The dancing flames entranced him and he began to follow the alchemist. Sneaking along he spent a few days following the alchemist. Eventually he gathered his courage and snuck into the alchemist's camp one night. He began to rummage through the alchemist's things, finding various powders and liquids, tasting many and trying to mix them as he saw the alchemist do. After a few attempts he recreated the alchemist's fire he saw before. Unfortunately the fire woke the alchemist, or perhaps the alchemist was awake all along and secretly watching Ranzak. Ranzak tried to run, but the alchemist quickly whipped up something that immobilized his legs. Ranzak feared for his life, but the alchemist did not kill him, instead the alchemist investigated what Ranzak had done, and took his time looking over Ranzak. It would turn out that the alchemist had a twisted sense of humor, and saw promise in Ranzak. So he asked the young goblin if he wished to learn how to make the fire and so much more. Ranzak answered without hesitation. The alchemist then took Ranzak on, and through much trial and error began teaching him the way of alchemy. There were many problems, Ranzak tended to eat his concoctions and would rip, tear and burn books, fearful of their written words. But the alchemist eventually got Ranzak to stop burning the books, though there was a second setback when Ranzak started eating them, and in time he even managed to get Ranzak to learn how to read and write. The writing was never the prettiest, chicken scratches really, but it was still a monumental feat for the average goblin. After a few years of training Ranzak was a fully fledged alchemist in his own right, though still at the starting line of his education really, and now finally on the cusp of adulthood it was time for Ranzak to move on. The alchemist told Ranzak of a magical place called Maagambya. It was an academy of higher learning, to learn many facets of magic, and it is where the alchemist had furthered his own education many years ago. Twisted as his sense of humor was the alchemist decided that it would be a great laugh if Ranzak was to attend Maagambya as well.

Personality: Ranzak is impulsive, and while technically smart often does stupid things. He is curious. He tends to put things into his mouth without knowing what they are, or worse yet actually knowing what they are. Still not entirely comfortable with the written word, or horses, he has overcome enough of his initial tendencies to be able to deal with them and has actually become rather book smart, even if he doesn't act like it much of the time.

Goals: Ranzak just wants to make pretty explosions and to mix various things together to see what happens. That said his alchemist master has set him a goal to become the best of the best of Magaambya which will involve passing classes, graduationg from Magaambya, and probably going above and beyond the average student or alumni. Ranzak has picked up some of his master's twisted humor and so this all sounds good to him.

pre:
Ranzak, Alchemist 1
Gblin Scholar
Small CG Humanoid
Deity: 

Strength: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 16 (+3)
Wisdom: 08 (-1)

HP :19 (10 Unbreakable Goblin + 8 Alchemist + 1 Con)
Perception +2 (-1Wis + 3 T)
Speed 25 feet

AC: 18 (10 + 3 Dex + 2 Armor + 3 T)

Fort +6 (1 Con + 5 E)
Refl +8 (3 Dex + 5 E)
Will +2 (-1 Wis + 3 T)

Class DC 17 (10 + 4 Int + 3 T)

Attacks
Sling +6 (3 Dex + 3 T), 1d6 B (propulsive, range 50 ft, reload 1)
Acid Flask +6 (3 Dex +3 T), 1d6 persistent acid, 1 acid splash (range 20 ft)
Alchemist's Fire +6 (3 Dex +3 T), 1d8+1 fire, 2 persistent fire, 1 fire splash (range 20 ft)
Blight Bomb +6 (3 Dex +3 T), 1d6 poison, 1d4 persistent poison, 1 poison splash (range 20 ft)
Bottled Lightning +6 (3 Dex +3 T), 1d6 electricity, 1 electricity splash (range 20 ft, flatfooted on hit)
Frost Vial +6 (3 Dex +3 T), 1d6 cold, 1 cold splash (range 20 ft,  -5 ft speed penalty on a hit)

Skills
Acrobatics +6 (3 Dex + 3 T)
Arcana +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Athletics +1 (1 Str)
Crafting +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Deception +1 (1 Cha)
Diplomacy +1  (1 Cha)
Intimidation +1  (1 Cha)
Medicine -1 (-1 Wis)
Nature +2 (-1 Wis + 3 T)
Performance +1 (1 Cha)
Religion +2 (-1 Wis + 3 T)
Society +7 (4 Int + 3 T)
Stealth +6 (3 Dex + 3 T)
Survival +2 (-1 Wis + 3 T)
Thievery +4 (3 Dex)
Lores

Languages
Common (Taldane)
Common (Mwangi)
Draconic
Goblin
Iruxi
Sylvan

Feats
Alchemist: Alchemical Crafting
Alchemist: Quick Bomber
Ancestry: Burn It!
Background: Assurance (Arcana)
Abilities
Alchemist: Advanced Alchemy
Alchemist: Alchemy
Alchemist: Bomber 
Alchemist: Formula Book
Alchemist: Infused Reagents
Alchemist: Quick Alchemy (1 action)
Ancestry: Darkvision
Heritage: Unbreakable Goblin

Equipment
Explorer's Clothing, Studded Leather, Sling, 10 sling stones, Alchemist's Tools, Formula Book, (8gp. 8sp, 9cp remaining)

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 11, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Nevermind I did some more research and the thing I thought sounded extremely powerful is broadly considered to be mediocre.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 11, 2021

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Kakka Taraka, Witch

The waves crash against the dark shore. The storm crackles in the distance, and roars its fury. A chill wind blows across the shore, and a voice emanates from the dark marine air, filling the space around me.

Trust the locust.
--
Kakka cracks his eyes open, an unfamiliar weight upon his head.
"Get off of me, Zilch." «It is Time.» He brushes off the octupus lazing across his scarred beak.

"I know, I know, I'm goin. Sheesh..morning again..."

He heads down the stairs and towards the door. His father cries out at his back, "May Hei Feng himself celebrate your success today! Bring back some money finally, won'tcha? Hah.."

His father's parting jabs echo after him as he walks through the slums of this small town in the Shackles. He meanders his way towards the docks. A familiar shout reaches his earholes.

"Oi, Jinx-Eater! Catch me a bit of good luck today, eh?"

A local sailor, asking for a share of his luck. He turns to the man, and takes a few mocking bites of the fresh air, finishing with a knowing wink. "Alright! Fortune favors me!" The man continues on, and Kakka sighs and shakes his head. If they only knew what kind of luck I have... and spares a glance at Zilch riding on his belt. He arrives at his dingy shack, and begins to set up his wares for the sailors coming by.

As the waning sun gives way to the growing night an old woman awkwardly shuffles to his stall. She stands there, still and silent, and studies Kakka. She remains, staring, just a touch too long, before she speaks.

"Ah. You have the mark of an interesting one. Have you witnessed those who forget history affecting the present?"

Her eyes, sitting within her robust head, glitters a bit as she awaits a response. Kakka cocks his head, to the side, thinking of the morning's jeers of luck.
"There are many among these streets who affect the currents of the seas, without caring for the source of them. Why do you ask, grandmother?"
"Oh, just curious if there are others who see as I see. Like a swarm of insects, caring not for the events and burdens of the farmer as they consume the fields."

She brushes a bit of hair away from her neck, exposing a small bottle with a preserved locust inside. Kakka startles at the sight, and looks closely at the old lady. Her eyes suddenly sharpen, and with an intensity she speaks again. "Have you ever influenced such a swarm, young Tengu?"

He waffles.. unsure of how to proceed. Zilch subtly presses into his side. "...Not one as I, grandmother. I seek only to keep the swarm from my own stock." he deflects, and waves a lazy talon towards the drying horticultural specimens around the shack. "How can I assist you? Would you care for a bit of Siren's Hair?" He cracks his beak in a small smile. "I'm told that it can help with some of the ailments of the elderly."

She barks a quick laugh, and replies "Hah! To think that I'd need..No child, I seek only those who would be worthy. The Magaambya is always interested in one of your depths, though they may not advertise as such." She smiles, without it touching the wrinkles of her eyes. "Consider it an offer... no, a bargain. One that should be considered carefully. Should you accept, focus your seeking instead towards Nantambu." She gives a small duck of her head, then walks away. "Wait! What kind.. " but she had already disappeared.

A bargain? Kakka wonders. After a peek down the empty street and no further customers in sight, he shuts down shop and returns home. "Any luck this day, Kakka?" his father asks, with a drink of ale in his hand.

"No, Father. A bit of business, but just another day on the docks..."
The father sucks in a breath. "Ah, of course. You never did have a knack for salesmanship. You should seek a spot on a ship!" Kakka winces at the familiar refrain.
"Father..." "Best thing I've done. Glory, women... and money!"
"..I'll think about it, Father." and he heads up to his room.

--

"Trust the locust...what do you think, Zilch?" The octupus stares mutely back from a nearby table, and gives a tentacled shrug.

That very night, Kakka begins his plans for an exodus to Nantambu. What's another bargain, anyways?

code:
Kakka Taraka, Witch 1
Jinxed Tengu, Sponsored by a Stranger
Medium CN Humanoid
Deity: Hei Feng (Tengu patron)
Patron: ??? Night

Str 10 (+0)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 16 (+3)
Wis 14 (+2)
Cha 14 (+2)

HP 13 
Perception +5 (2 Wis + 3 T)
Speed 25 feet
Low-Light Vision

AC 14 (10 + 1 Dex  + 3 T)
Trained unarmored

Fort +4 (1 Con + 3 T)
Refl +4 (1 Dex + 3 T)
Will +7 (2 Wis + 5 E)

Spell DC 16 (10 + 3 Int + 3 T)

Attacks
Sickle +4 (1 Dex + 3 T), 1d4 S
Staff +3 (3 T), 1d4 B
Sling +4 1d6 B

Nine-Ring Sword +0
Beak +4 (1 Dex + 3 T), 1d6 P (brawling, finesse, unarmed)
Spell Attack Roll +6 (3 Int + 3 T)

Skills
Acrobatics +1 (1 Dex )
Arcana +3 (3 Int)
Athletics +0 (0 Str)
Crafting +6 (3 Int + 3 T)
Deception +5 (2 Cha + 3 T)
Diplomacy +2 (2 Cha)
Intimidation +2 (2 Cha)
Insect Lore +6 (3 Int + 3 T)
Medicine +5 (2 Wis + 3 T)
Nature +5 (2 Wis + 3 T)
Occultism +6 (3 Int + 3 T)
Performance +2 (2 Cha)
Religion +2 (2 Wis)
Society +6 (3 Int + 3 T)
Stealth +4 (1 Dex + 3 T)
Survival +2 (2 Wis)
Thievery +1 (1 Dex)

Languages: Common (Mwangi), Common (Teldane/Shackles), Tengu, Aquan, Shadowtongue

Feats and Abilities
Sharp Beak (Ancestry)
Jinxed Tengu (Heritage 1)
Squawk! (Feat 1)
Dubious Knowledge (Background)
Hexes
Familiar - Zilch, Blue-Ringed Octopus, Amphibious / Manual Dexterity / Telepathic Touch (2 base +1 Witch abilities)

Spellcasting
Occult

Cantrips
Chill Touch, Dancing Lights, Daze, Forbidding Ward, Join Paths, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Aura, Shield, Sigil

1st
Bane, Fear, Grim Tendrils, Ill Omen, Mage Armor

Focus
Cantrip: Shroud of Night
Spells: Phase Familiar

Equipment
(Witch's Kit)
Explorer's Clothing
Sickle
Staff
Sling (20 bullets)
Nine-ring sword
Familiar Satchel
Healer's Tools
Adventurer's Pack
Material Component Pouch
Merchant's Scale

1.5.8 G.S.C

Bulk 4.7

Probably submit one more character. need to whittle down between a human bard, a desert ratman monk, and a (local, ish) halfelf ranger.

Also, re: Zilch: blue-ringed octopodes apparently do not have a landspeed - if necessary, i can shuffle the abilities around, or just keep him in a bucket of water or something. I'm not sure whether "amphibuous" would give land movement to a creature already with swimming, but also, somewhere the familiar rules said if theres an innate ability, that ability must be chosen. :shrug:

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 13, 2021

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Rolled up a ranger to submit as my second option. The general concept is a scout from one of the HalfElf villages of the Ekujae (p. 47 of mwangi book). I need to read that whole section a bit more carefully and finalize a few more details. I should be able to have that done this weekend, and i'll edit this bit then.

Zax Seraxii

ThwackBullseye.
ThwackAnother bullseye.
"Another for Zax!" yells sound around him as he loses his final arrow. Thwack

Zax finishes the impromptu archery contest with a bow to his well wishers, and begins to walk back towards his domicile.
"Wait, Zax!" Sairn, a younger half-elf of his mother's clan, runs after him and tugs gently but insistently on his cloak. "The Owl Linguist wishes a word with you!"
Zax pauses, then gives a curt nod to Sairn. "I will speak with him. Thanks, Sairn."
--
Zax stands next to the Linguist's honor guard.
"Enter!"
The old (for a half elf) man looks up as Zax steps into the chambers. He has inkstains on his hands and face, and seems to be looking over papers and missives from across the Ekujae jungle and beyond.
"Ah! Zax! Thank you for joining me. Terrific shooting.." he glances down at a small message on his desk, "..or so I'm told, at least. You're near your clan decision, I'm also told?"
"Yes, Linguist."
"Any thoughts to which clan? Which Circle?"
"I'm yet undecided, Linguist. I intend to head to the Owl Physical Circle.." The Linguist begins nodding before Zax even finishes "..and decide my clan from there."
"Ah, indeed! The physical does seem to hold you, for now at least. Tell me, have you heard of the Magaambya?"
"The outsider school? I have, but.. only gossip."
"Well. Though it may seem strange, but I think you should study and learn there."
Zax bristles at the idea. The Linguist continues, "..I know, I know it is strange to hear. Why leave the half-elf villages...Well. For one, the diplomats could use additional protection on their missions. For another, you may learn to unlock your powers there." Zax looks intrigued "..And lastly, your Linguist asks it of you, to serve your mother's clans wishes one last time. Grow what your mother gave you, and learn what you can from those abroad."
Zax looks at his feet, thinking over what he's been told.
"..I know you didn't know much of your mother, Zax. And, it must have seemed like she didn't leave you much before she was taken from us. Nasty bit of business, that.." The Linguist grimaces, then stands and heads over to some drawers. "However, she did leave you this. She instructed me to give it to you before your Choosing. How she knew you'd..well. A mother's love, I suppose."

The Linguist approaches Zax and hands him an object, wrapped in ancient leaves and a bit of vine resisting the decay of age. Zax carefully undoes the twine, and opens it to reveal a brass bracelet, with an uncut emerald inset on the outside. An engraving of a butterfly surrounds the gem, catching the light in its recesses.

The Linguist's eyes sparkle, "Indeed, she knew you'd have much to learn.The Magaambya is a place of great learning, and plenty of intersections from other cultures! A star cannot see its place in the sky, after all."

Zax stands speechless, for a moment. He stares at the bracelet, and turns it over gingerly as he considers all that the Linguist has said. He stops, then reverently puts the bracelet onto his forearm. "..I see. Thank you, Linguist. I.. There is much to consider.."
"Splendid! Well, there is an expedition to Nantambu leaving in a few weeks, a diplomatic mission. Should you follow the butterfly, join them on their journey." He curtly nods, then returns to the papers on his desk.
After a few moments, Zax is still standing there. The Linguist looks up, sighs. "That is all, Zax Seraxii. Thank you for your time, and learn from what is different. The knowledge will help when we fight the Great Darkness. Don't forget to learn your own heart, as well." He returns to his papers.

Zax gives a deep, formal bow, then exits the chamber.

He joins the caravan to Nantambu, to learn more of what it is his mother gave him.

This is mostly just a combination of various bits from the ekujae section, without reading much else of the Mwangi setting. If something doesnt fit, I'm ok with changing it.

code:
Zax Lorae (Unchosen) Seraxii (Owl clan), Ranger 1
Ekujae (Woodland) Half-elf Scout
Medium NG Humanoid
Deity: Elven Pantheon (Desna)

Str 10 (+0)
Dex 18 (+4)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 10 (+0)
Wis 16 (+3)
Cha 12 (+1)

HP 19
Perception +8 (3 Wis + 5 E)
Speed 25 feet
Low-Light Vision

AC 18 (10 + 4 Dex  + 3 T + 1 Leather)
Trained unarmored, light, medium
Trained simple, martial, unarmed

Fort +6 (1 Con + 5 E)
Refl +9 (4 Dex + 5 E)
Will +6 (3 Wis + 3 T)

Class DC 17 (10 + 3 Wis + 3 T)

Attacks
Melee Dagger +7 (Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10 ft., Versatile S), Damage 1d4 (P)
Melee Rapier +7 (Deadly d8, Disarm, Finesse), Damage 1d6 (P)
Ranged Shortbow +7 (Deadly d10), Damage 1d6 (P)

Skills
trained: Skills Acrobatics +7, Athletics +3, Intimidation +4, Lore: One Terrain +3, Medicine +6, Nature +6, Stealth +7, Survival +6

Languages: Common (Mwangi), Elvish (Ekujae)

Feats and Abilities
Half-elf (Heritage 1)
Wildborn Magic (Feat 1)
Forager (Background)
Hunt Prey
Gravity Weapon (focus)

Spellcasting
Primal

(Innate Wildborn, Spell Attack 14 (10 + 1 Cha + 3 T) Cantrip: Tanglefoot

Focus
Warden: Gravity Weapon

Equipment
(Ranger's Kit)
Explorer's Clothing
Adventurer's Pack

Silver (lowgrade) Dagger
Cold-Iron (lowgrade) Dagger

Rapier
Shortbow
Playing Cards
Fishing Tackle

4 SP

Bulk 5
used base price + crafting requirements price for both daggers, due to the carrying of both types of knives being "traditional" for the Ekujae... unsure if that is right but spent 22 silver on each

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 16, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit- wasn't sure it fit the rules but they do get a spell. Hooray

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 16, 2021

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ramiel was supposed to have a normal life. Born to loving parents in the Alijae settlement of Nagisa, it was expected he would become a hunter like his mother or a stonemason like his father. However Nagisa had other plans, as is its way. The corrupting demonic influence of the towering white pyramids slipped into Ramiel’s, as yet undetermined, form in utero, and by his birth it was clear that he was anything but a normal elf. He was near double the weight of a standard elven baby, with skin colour that would be more expected in of a Drow than in an elf of Alijae descent. These features would have marked him as unusual, but not un-elven, in the eyes of his community, however one last trait would mark him tainted by demons to all who saw him; instead of the smooth elven forehead, two goat-like horns protruded. While these were initially small, over the years, as he grew, they curved almost fully behind his head and hardened like bone.

While his parents raised him with all the love you could hope for for any child, the wider community was less generous. The whole purpose of Alijae society is the gradual purging of demonic influence from Nagisa, and, at best, Ramiel was a constant reminder and physical embodiment of the evil that must be purged. As such, for most of his childhood he was shunned by his peers and the adults alike, being saved from constant bullying by the other children only due to the fact that he was a head taller than the tallest of them. His parents could see this happening, but were at a loss as to what could be done until his father was working in Nocticula’s pyramid at the moment of her ascension. This gave him a first hand view on the formation of the Cult of Nocticula among the Alijae. As a cult of a reformed demon lord, he expected that they would have a more sympathetic view of tieflings than most, and as such, after some discussion, it was decided that, rather than with the other children, he would be taught by a new cleric of Nocticula, Sariala. She took full responsibility for his education, and within a decade he was a member of the cult in good standing.

The cult represented the first individuals other than his parents who would interact with him without prejudice. Most of these individuals were artists of some sort, as Nocticula is a patron of artists and the exiled. Despite this, Ramiel seemed lacking in talent for crafts, with even the simplest attempts at painting ending in abject failure. Where he excelled however, was in dance. His style was one of smooth movements combined with spins and flips, powered by his unusually high core strength. Sariala had originally envisioned that Ramiel would eventually follow in her footsteps as a member of Nocticula’s clergy, but she realised that he would likely serve the community more effectively should he manage to apply his art to combat the demonic influences within Nagisa more directly. As such, it was arranged that he gain some combat training from one of the cult members who explored the pyramids. With that done, Sariala sent a request to the elders to allow Ramiel to travel to the Magaambya in order to learn more about the history of Nagisa and train in the ways of fighting and magic, so as to better combat demons. The elders, for their part, were happy to be rid of the tiefling in their midst.

And so it was that Ramiel shared a tearful goodbye with his parents and Sariala, and began the long trek through the jungle to Nantambu…

code:
Ramiel Makisal, Battledancer Swashbuckler 1
Alijae Elf Tiefling, Sponsored by Family
Medium CG Tiefling Humanoid
Deity: Nocticula

Str 12 (+1)
Dex 18 (+4)
Con 10 (+0)
Int 12 (+1)
Wis 10 (+0)
Cha 16 (+3)

HP 16
Perception +5 (0 Wis + 5 E)
Speed 30 feet
Low-Light Vision

AC 18 (10 + 3 Dex  + 3 T + 2 Studded Leather)
Trained unarmored, light
Trained simple, martial, unarmed

Fort +3 (0 Con + 3 T)
Refl +9 (4 Dex + 5 E)
Will +5 (0 Wis + 5 E)

Class DC 17 (10 + 4 Dex + 3 T)

Attacks
Melee Bladed Scarf +7 (Disarm, Finesse, Reach, Sweep, Trip), Damage 1d6+1 (S), Flail, 2 hands
Melee Fist +7 (Agile, Finesse, Nonlethal, Unarmed) Damage 1d4+1 (B), Brawling, 1 hand

Skills
Acrobatics +7 T
Arcana +4 T
Athletics +4 T
Crafting +1 U
Deception +6 T
Diplomacy +6 T
Intimidation +3 U
Medicine +0 U
Nature +0 U
Occultism +1 U
Performance +6 T
Religion +3 T
Society + 4 T
Stealth +7 T
Survival +0 U
Thievery +4 U
Magaambya Lore +4 T

Languages: Mwangi, Elvish, Abyssal

Feats and Abilities
Pitborn (Ancestry)
Titan Wrestler (Pitborn)
Eye for Numbers (Background)
Precise Strike (2d6)
Confident Finisher
Fascinating Performance
Focused Fascination

Equipment
Adventurer’s Pack, 1 Bulk
Studded Leather, 2 Bulk
Bladed Scarf, 1 Bulk

Compass, 0 Bulk
Religious Symbol (wooden), L Bulk
Fine Clothing, 1 Bulk

5 GP, 9 SP

Bulk 3

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 17, 2021

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Draahzin, Kobold Summoner

Appearance: Drahzin is roughly three feet tall with scales of black tinged with purple. His teeth are short, his horns are swept back, and he has a small pair of vestigial wings on his back that have not fully grown in yet.

Upbringing: Draahzin was brought up to worship the power and majesty of the true dragons. He always felt a kinship to them, and his draconic scales and vestigial wings mark him as one touched by their power. He had a high position among his brethren and was carefully raised for greatness. As a young kobold he came across a shining silver egg larger than he was.
He became entranced with it and hid it. He protected it, he watched over it, and he did his best to keep it warm. After quite some time the egg eventually cracked. Draahzin panicked and ran about but eventually helped the hatchling emerge. A beautiful silver dragon was within. It chirped its awakening, spit out some frost, looked Draahzin in the eye, then flew straight at him.
Draahzin flinched and when he opened his eyes again there was no sign of the dragon. He was dissapointed but collected the eggshell and went about his normal life. But from that day on Draahzin could feel the dragon. He could sense its thoughts, its power. Over time he found he could call upon its power, manifest a spectral version of it into this world and even become one with it. While he has gained some control over the abilities he gained by bonding with the dragon he feels there is more to it. But his fellow kobold cannot teach him how to better tap into this power, how to become even more dragon. He went in search of more knowledge and learned of Maagambya. A magical school that has taught many wizards and druids, as well as others, about the mysteries of magic. If any place could help him better understand his connection it would be a school such as this. He sought the faculty and tried again and again to gain admission. He showed them the spells he could do, and even how he could call upon the power of the dragon. It took a lot of effort and time but he eventually impressed enough teachers to get admitted.

Personality: Draahzin is surprisingly bold and confident for a kobold, possibly from his upbringing, or possibly from the influence of the dragon, or is it dragons?, within him. He admires beauty and strength, particularly anything draconic. He is somewhat curious, and certainly curious to a fault if dragons, gold or gems are involved. A bit arrogant, but also kind and helpful to those he admires or views as friends or hatchmates.

Goals: Draahzin wants to be the most dragon any kobold has ever been. He wants to fully awaken the dragon blood within him, as well as fully commune and bond with the dragon that now rests within his soul. Becoming a mighty spellcaster, feared and admired, and object of beauty and strength all dwell in the back of his mind. Graduating Magaambya is but a stepping stone on his dream of becoming a dragon, or as close to it as is possible for a kobold.

pre:
Draahzin, Summoner 1
Kobold Scholar
Small CG Humanoid
Deity: Apsu

Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 10 (+0)
Intelligence: 14 (+2)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 18 (+4)

HP :16 (6 Kobold + 10 Summoner + 0 Con)
Speed 25 feet

AC: 15 (10 + 2 Dex + 0 Armor + 3 T)
Trained unarmored

Fort +5 (0 Con + 5 E)
Refl +5 (2 Dex + 3 T)
Will +5 (0 Wis + 5 E)

Spell DC 17 (10 + 4 Cha + 3 T)

Attacks

Kobold Breath Weapon DC 17 Basic Reflex Save 1d4 Acid (2 Actions, 1d4 round cooldown, 30 ft line)

Skills
Acrobatics +5 (2 Dex + 3 T)
Arcana +5 (2 Int + 3 T)
Athletics +3 (0 Str + 3 T)
Crafting +2 (2 Int)
Deception +4 (4 Cha)
Diplomacy +4  (4 Cha)
Intimidation +7  (4 Cha + 3 T)
Medicine +0 (0 Wis)
Nature +0 (0 Wis)
Occultism +5 (2 Int + 3 T)
Performance +4 (4 Cha)
Religion +3 (0 Wis + 3 T)
Society +5 (2 Int + 3 T)
Stealth +5 (2 Dex + 3 T)
Survival +0 (0 Wis)
Thievery +2 (2 Dex)
Lores
Academia Lore +5 (Int 2 + 3 T)

Languages
Common (Mwangi)
Draconic
Iruxi
Sylvan

Feats
Summoner: Energy Heart ( Cold)
Ancestry: Kobold Breath
Background: Assurance (Arcana)
Abilities
Summoner: Dragon Eidolon
Summoner: Spellcasting
Summoner: Conduit Spells
Ancestry: Darkvision
Heritage: Dragonscaled Kobold (Resist 1 Acid)

Cantrips
Boost Eidolon (conduit cantrip)
Acid Splash
Detect Magic
Electric Arc
Gouging Claw
Shield

Spells
Mage Armor
Magic Missile

Conduit Spells
Evolution Surge

Equipment
Explorer's Clothing,  (58gp. 9sp remaining)

Beads -
Ayuwari's initial bead - deep blue glass bead
Lumusi Yao's Dining Hall Bead  - glass bead colored like ripe mango
Xhokan's Student Store Bead - bulging sack bead

Silver Dragon Eidolon
Tradition arcane
Traits astral, dragon, eidolon, and Cold
Home Plane Astral Plane
Size Medium
Suggested Attacks claw (slashing), jaws (piercing), horn
(piercing), tail (bludgeoning), wing (bludgeoning)
 Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10; +2 AC (+3 Dex cap)
AC: 17 (10 + 2 Dex + 2 Bonus + 3 T)
Skills Arcana, Intimidation
Senses darkvision
Language Draconic
Speed 25 feet
Eidolon Abilities breath weapon

Eidolon Claw +7 (4 Str + 3 T), 1d8+4 S (trip, versatile cold)
Eidolon Bite +7 (4 Str+ 3 T), 1d6+4 P (agile, finesse)
Eidolon Breath Weapon DC 17 Basic Reflex Save 1d6 Cold (2 Actions, 1d4 round cooldown, 30 ft cone)

Acrobatics +5 (2 Dex + 3 T)
Arcana +3 (0 Int + 3 T)
Athletics +7 (4 Str + 3 T)
Crafting +0 (0 Int)
Deception +0 (0 Cha)
Diplomacy +0  (0 Cha)
Intimidation +3  (0 Cha + 3 T)
Medicine +0 (0 Wis)
Nature +0 (0 Wis)
Occultism +3 (0 Int + 3 T)
Performance +4 (0 Cha)
Religion +3 (0 Wis + 3 T)
Society +3 (0 Int + 3 T)
Stealth +5 (2 Dex + 3 T)
Survival +0 (0 Wis)
Thievery +2 (2 Dex)
Academia Lore +3 (Int 0 + 3 T)

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 16, 2021

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Melidiere Al'Tessare

Melidiere was born in a small village in the jungles of Mwangi Expanse. As a child, she was known to be a voracious reader, which was then expanded to a general seeker of knowledge. The village elders had found their way to get her a magical tutor, and so she learned the basics of magic and yearned to learn more. Any time a merchant came by, she would work to save up and purchase any scroll or book that she might be able to afford. She was utterly insatiable by the time that she had approached adulthood, learning languages, the facets of society, and more.

As she grew up more and more, it became clear that she was unsuited for the village. She was singled out by the other villagers because of how she stood out from the rest of them. Bullied by other children, looked on with a mixture of pity, confusion and in some cases, outright dislike due to her avoidance of 'traditional' work. Still, her skillset would be put to use in the village. In her adolescent years, she worked with the village lorekeeper, learning about the world around her and the history of her village. She had, so she thought, found what she would end up doing for the rest of her life, and wept at the opportunity lost. Yet she reluctantly accepted her future and found herself an ally and a kindred spirit in the old woman.

Then came the day that would change her life forever. Unbeknownst to her, the lorekeeper of her village had managed to acquire Melidiere a sponsorship for her to go to Maagambya. When they announced this to her, she was blown away and began packing immediately. With her makeshift staff, backpack and her journal, she set off for the mythical University, awaiting the education that would truely unlock her absolute potential. She would surpass her village and make the village's lorekeeper proud.

pre:
Spellbook

Cantrips
Acid Splash
Daze
Electric Arc
Ghost Sound
Light
Mage Hand
Shield
Telekinetic Projectile

Level 1
Befuddle
Command
Fear
Scouring Sand
Summon Construct

Staff Nexus (0 Charges)
Telekinetic projectile (Cantrip level 1)
Befuddle (Level 1)

Familiar
Vamos
Ac 15 Hp 5
Fort +4, Reflex +5, Will +8

Speed 25 feet, Fly 25 feet

Abilities
Flier, Independent

Currently takes the form of a kingfisher.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 26, 2021

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Check-In

Here's my accounting of where we are so far.

Tricky - Scarlet Hood, Leshy Druid
Infinite Karma - Bhekimp'lo, Dwarf Barbarian
Barbed Tongues - Visshenia, Shisk Cleric
Unknown Quantity - Orvald Nylund, Human Champion
Ryuujin - Kouzo, Goloma Investigator; Ranzak, Goblin Alchemist; Draahzin, Kobold Summoner
Dr Pepper - Me'abi the Quick, Human Investigator
bobthenameless - Kakka Taraka, Tengu Witch; Zax Seraxii, Half-Elf Ranger
CottonWolf - Ramiel Makisal, Elf Tiefling Swashbuckler
berenzen - Melidiere Al'Tessare, Elf Wizard
Harold Bjord - Is working on some kind of noble dilettante, possibly.

Anyway, last minute things to clear up or just think about. It turns out I don't have comments/questions for everyone, and that's not a bad thing. For example, cute leshy is cute.

Barbed Tongues, is Visshenia going to be open about being a cultist, as opposed to just "a cleric of Nethys?" It's fine either way, but if you're intending (or willing) to have it be something of an ongoing secret, there could be some interesting threads about the outright cult of Nethys being somewhat persecuted or just looked down upon in the Magaambya, with some students and even teachers nonetheless still being semi-secret members.

Ryuujin, I am currently leaning toward the Draahzin the kobold summoner, which seems like what you're most enthused about. The goblin is a close second. Do you think it would be better to have Draahzin come in immediately, with the provisional playtest stats, or do you want to have the goblin show up, be a goofy goblin, and then run off somewhere to make room for the kobold?
Or do you want to stick with the goblin until you have a good look at the summoner, if maybe the final version is a dealbreaker?

Dr Pepper, I saw you're interested in the magus. It would still be Me'abi, just with a class change or something, right? You mentioned taking it as a level 2 multiclass feat, but a class change would also be fine.

bobthenameless, there are interesting consequences to having a character strongly associated with vermin. All sorts of story things, and I'll gesture towards the creepy face in the opening post. I'm strongly leaning towards Kakka because of that. I'm assuming you anticipated the ongoing story involvement, but you should know it'll be a long term thing, not just "fighting a whole lot of giant insects" in the first chapter.
Also Zilch gets Speed 10 ft., like the reef octopus.

~~~

As things stand, I'm thinking of having a big class with everyone, with small groups expected to form most of the time. I've said it before, but I do not want to have combats with like eight or ten or whatever characters at once. It's just not going to happen. We'll have to work out things progressing in parallel.
The semi-official groupings at the start would be something like:

Team TEACHERS PETS: Scarlet Hood, Beck the Barbarian, and Me'abi the Quick
Team LOUDMOUTHS: Draahzin the Dragon, Orvald Sunbro, and Kakka the Locust
Team KNOW IT ALLS: Visshenia the Cultist, Ramiel Scarf Dancer, Melidiere the Loremaster, and that Noble Dilettante

These seem like balanced groups, and a balanced overall party. These groupings aren't permanent, you should split up and reform to fit tasks and assignments in the future, but you'd be divided like this at the very start of the game at least, with each group having a teacher introducing them to the Magaambya, giving them little tests, doing group activities, icebreakers, etc.
If anyone has questions or comments, feel free to ask, this is sort of just a tentative list.

Also people can still apply, there's room for more. I don't want to yank the rug out from anyone who's been working on something.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

zachol posted:

Barbed Tongues, is Visshenia going to be open about being a cultist, as opposed to just "a cleric of Nethys?" It's fine either way, but if you're intending (or willing) to have it be something of an ongoing secret, there could be some interesting threads about the outright cult of Nethys being somewhat persecuted or just looked down upon in the Magaambya, with some students and even teachers nonetheless still being semi-secret members.

I am on board with the secret/persecuted angle! Especially since that seems completely in-theme for the Shisk culture - even if it was totally fine to be out in the open, they might not anyway.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't ever stop making characters, it's a problem Gonna post the stats here from mobile then finish writeups from my PC and clean up the stat blocks.

Lamor, the Azarketi princeling who doesn't even want to be here, DAD.

As a prince of the Azarketi, even one statistically unlikely to inherit, life was supposed to be FUN. The past decade, training in the deeps with the greatest warriors of the realm, had been amazing. His first trip to the surface he had felt like a god, weightless and impossibly strong. He hadn't known that they would leave him there, forcing him to experience the slow desiccation brought on by long-term exposure to the air. He didn't mind learning, per se. But being forced into such lessons, especially through trickery, grated. And now he was expected to LIVE there, the greatest indignity of all.

Who CARES how many prior generations of princes were trained in the Magaambya? Let some of his cousins fulfill the realm's diplomatic obligations. Those nerds would love it. Lamor wants to dive deep, explore caves, and stab Alghollthus, not READ. But his father was quite clear, if he did not graduate, he would be disinherited. With no money, prestige, or most importantly warriors at his back, he would be overwhelmed quickly by any Alghollthu he was unlucky enough to encounter.

So here he stands, a loyal family servant at his side to make sure he doesn't run off, waiting with a crowd of commoners for admission to a school he does not want to attend, to study from books what he could be learning from practical experience.

quote:

Lamor, Fighter 1
Ancient Scale Azarketi, Family Sponsored
Medium N
Humanoid

Str 18 (+4)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 12 (+1)
Wis 8 (-1)
Cha 12 (+1)

HP 20
Perception +4; Low-Light Vision Darkvision
Speed 20 feet

AC 17 (+19 with shield raised), Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +2

Attacks:
Melee Gill Hook +9 (Azarketi, Grapple, Reach, Uncommon), Damage 1d10+4 (P)

Melee Boarding Axe +9 (Agile, Azarketi, Climbing, Uncommon, Versatile P), Damage 1d6+4 (S)

Melee Dagger +9 (Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10 ft., Versatile S), Damage 1d4+4 (P)

Melee Trident +9 (Thrown 20 ft.), Damage 1d8+4 (P)

Skills: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Athletics +7, Crafting +4, Diplomacy +4, Lore: Azarketi +4, Lore: Specific Place +4, Society +4, Stealth +5

Languages: Alghollthu, Aquan, Common

Feats/Abilities:
Shield Block 
Attack of Opportunity
Sudden Charge 
Ancient Scale Azarketi
Azarketi Lore
Hobnobber

Additional Specials: Hydration

Items Studded Leather, Wooden Shield (Hardness 3, HP 12, BT 6)

Nok, the rat who knew too much.

"Daddy always said I ate too many magic books." Nok will tell anyone willing to listen, "That's why I got all this know-how. I come from Absalom, it's a big city, metropolis, in the middle of the Inner Sea. It's where the Starstone is. If you want to ascend to godhood, you have to pass its test. My family lives in the sewer system. I was going to be a priest, but I have difficulties because of eating the books. I get lost in all the words and information. Did you know there are three times as many people in Absalom as in the capital of Cheliax? We visited some topsider priests and wizards, hoping to resolve my issues. They couldn't help me with my fits but suggested I should come here and learn things from reading, rather than continuing to eat books that fall into the sewers. "

quote:

Nok, Oracle 1
Sewer Ratfolk, Stranger Sponsored
Small NG
Rat Humanoid

Str 8 (-1)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 18 (+4)

HP 15
Perception +4; Low-Light Vision
Speed 25 feet

AC 16 (padded armor)
Fort +4
Ref +5
Will +6

Spell DC 17 attack +7 

Melee Staff +2 (Two-Hand d8), Damage 1d4-1 (B)

Melee Shears +5 (Deadly d8, Finesse, Uncommon, Versatile P), Damage 1d4-1 (S)

Skills Acrobatics +2, Athletics -1, Crafting +5, Deception +7, Diplomacy +7, Lore: Absolom Lore +5, Lore: Insect +5, Occultism +5, Religion +4, Society +5, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5

Languages Common, Gnoll, Goblin, Ysoki

Divine Known Spells ,
1st Purify Food and Drink, Heal, Mending (2 slots); 

Cantrips Stabilize, Shield, Disrupt Undead, Prestidigitation, Light, Read Aura

Focus Spells (2 points) 
Brain Drain
Scholarly Recollection 

Additional Feats
Dubious Knowledge]
Sewer Rat
Tinkering Fingers
Additional Specials Lore Mystery Additional Lore (Lore: Absolom Lore), Mystery (Lore), Mystery Domain Spell (Knowledge), Oracular Curse, Revelation Spells

Shumak, the fleshwarp monk.

High on a rocky promontory sat an electric monk on a bored horse. It watched with interest as the blob rolled, no flowed, out of the forest and slowly up the mountain. Situated as the monastery was above the Mana Wastes, the residents were well aware of the proclivities of the civilizations below. Aberrations like this were known, though rarely encountered.

The blob slowed as it neared the monk, so the monk called out a greeting. The creature quivered and for a moment near its surface was the impression of a face. The mouth opened, then the layer of flesh inside also parted and the "Hello" was echoed back. This apparently took quite an effort, as the blob noticeably drooped and spread. The monk considered a moment before inviting the creature to accompany it back to the monastery.

There, it joined the monks in their daily mediations. Over the following months, it improved its control, maintaining chants and mantras for hours without losing shape and becoming conversant in the common tongue. As years passed it acquired a humanoid shape capable of mimicking the daily martial training. With no name and no memory of its origin, the monks called it Shumak, candle, for its lumpy, flowing textures.

Finally, the grandmaster invited Shumak to a meeting. Simply put, the fleshwarp had come to the monastery as the equivalent of a child. Now, as an adult in its own right, it must go out into the world and experience what there is. It must learn to understand the world so it can understand why the ways of the monastery are correct. "Because you lack even the most basic context of life outside of the monastery, you won't be simply ejected. We've found you a place in a school, with other children also leaving their families for the first time."

quote:

Shumak, Monk 1
Medium LN
Created Fleshwarp, village sponsored

Str +4, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +0

HP 22
AC 17 (+18 with shield raised), Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +6
Perception +4; Low-Light Vision

Languages Common

Skills Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Intimidation +3, Lore: Warfare +3, Nature +4, Religion +4, Stealth +5

Items Explorer's Clothing, Buckler (Hardness 3, HP 6, BT 3)

Speed 25 feet
Dragon Stance
Flurry of Blows
Additional Feats: Created Fleshwarp, Intimidating Glare, Quick Coercion, Startling Appearance
Additional Specials: Powerful Fist, Unusual Anatomy

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 18, 2021

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

zachol posted:

?

Dr Pepper, I saw you're interested in the magus. It would still be Me'abi, just with a class change or something, right? You mentioned taking it as a level 2 multiclass feat, but a class change would also be fine.

Yeah I might just change her class to Magus depending on how the class looks.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

zachol posted:

bobthenameless, there are interesting consequences to having a character strongly associated with vermin. All sorts of story things, and I'll gesture towards the creepy face in the opening post. I'm strongly leaning towards Kakka because of that. I'm assuming you anticipated the ongoing story involvement, but you should know it'll be a long term thing, not just "fighting a whole lot of giant insects" in the first chapter.
Also Zilch gets Speed 10 ft., like the reef octopus.

I assumed that it would be something although I had actually forgot about the giant insect fighting from the OP :v: mostly, I was following the stranger background's lead, and just trying to tie the Patron to the stranger. The hunger part after the scary pic probably did lead me to using a Locust in the backstory... Other than those bits, I'm completely oblivious to what the story things are, and excited to find out more :) And, completely cool with Kakka - I had a much better feel of him and was leaning that way myself.

And cool about Zilch, I'll make a note of that. I'll also drop you a DM on discord re: Patron stuff.

Also, I'm fine with stepping in and out as needed for the story/pacing of things.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
This campaign sounds extremely cool and led to me getting carried away making characters over the last couple of weeks. I'm completely new to PF2E so I had a lot of reading to do.

You have plenty of great submissions already, so no worries if you're full or if none of these would fit in well, it was fun just making the characters.

Links to avoid the world's longest post:

Kotsamai, Human Redeemer who really doesn't know why he's been sent to magic school
Google Drive

Kibb, Ratfolk Evoker who's never wanted anything more
Google Drive

Valfane, Fetchling Bard who's just here for the music (and also because his soul seems to be tied to the shadow plane, nbd, totally cool)
Google Drive

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Alright! I am winding down, and calling the deadline now. Ish. Mostly. If you post some amazing character with a really detailed backstory that obviously took a while to write then alright sure get in here, but otherwise I need to move on to getting things organized, collating some things behind the scenes, reviewing the list of teachers and the adventure with these characters in mind, and so on.
The actual hard absolute deadline is when I wake up tomorrow, which is probably going to be in 12ish hours. After that I really need to have a concrete list for sure. If you're still interested I'm going to revisit how things are going in 2-3 months, probably. Join the Discord and hang out.

I'm having you get divided into three groups, as follows:

GROUP A
Tricky - Scarlet Hood, Leshy Druid
Infinite Karma - Beck the Barbarian
Dr Pepper - Me'abi the Quick
Ripley - Valfane the Bard

GROUP B
Ryuujin - Draahzin, Dragon
Unknown Quantity - Orvald the Sunbro
bobthenameless - Kakka, Witch
Harold Bjord - Lamor the Sub-Mariner

GROUP C
Barbed Tongues - Visshenia, Nethys-Touched
CottonWolf - Ramiel, Scarf Dancer
berenzen - Melidiere, Elven Wizard

As a reminder, these are just the initial groups for the opening scenes, the orientation and such. As the game progresses, characters should drift from one group to another, and I'm anticipating having 2-3 at a time split up doing things.

Ripley, I like the bard a bunch so he's in. Some comments.
First, the Player's Guide uses "Sponsored by Teacher Ot" as a hook for the background, but he doesn't quite fit what I saw of your backstory, so it's going to be some other teacher. "Sponsored by a Teacher" rather than specifically "Sponsored by Teacher Ot." The other teacher will show up reasonably soon, will figure out the details in a bit.
Second, let's swap that skill over to Bloodcove Lore.
Third, I don't think I've seen you in the Discord? Unless you're @nothingbutdirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

zachol posted:

First, the Player's Guide uses "Sponsored by Teacher Ot" as a hook for the background, but he doesn't quite fit what I saw of your backstory, so it's going to be some other teacher. "Sponsored by a Teacher" rather than specifically "Sponsored by Teacher Ot." The other teacher will show up reasonably soon, will figure out the details in a bit.
Second, let's swap that skill over to Bloodcove Lore.
Third, I don't think I've seen you in the Discord? Unless you're @nothingbutdirt?

Thanks - you're right, the background felt like a stretch. I'll make the changes and hop in the Discord.