Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’m loathe to mention the store, but Epic has Mothergunship for free till the fifth. It’s no timeless classic, but it’s good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I haven't played a "traditional" roguelike in many years, any suggestions for something that's easy to play on a 65% keyboard? Iirc most of the games that I knew of at the time (Nethack and iirc Crawl ) use numpads which I do not have access to easily.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Artelier posted:

I haven't played a "traditional" roguelike in many years, any suggestions for something that's easy to play on a 65% keyboard? Iirc most of the games that I knew of at the time (Nethack and iirc Crawl ) use numpads which I do not have access to easily.

Jupiter Hell. Very good, only uses 4 directions.

ToME has a fantastic feature where you can use WASD or arrow keys for movement and pressing Up + Right for example will result in a single diagonal move instead.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Artelier posted:

I mean worse case scenario you can always use auto hot key or something to redirect your preferred keys to numpad inputs.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Dungeonmans does hjkl+yubn which is fine once you get used to it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I've heard a lot of people swear by hjkl or something similar, it's apparently the 'superior' layout once you get used to it, due to all the proximal keys or something. So I guess the answer is "all traditional RLs"?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Artelier posted:

Rift Wizard is playable with a mouse, if that counts

perc2
May 16, 2020

Artelier posted:

Dungeon Crawl can be played with a mouse (entirely, or just for movement) if you did want to revisit it. I also keep a USB numpad handy for things like this, I don't like desk clutter so it can go back in the draw if I don't need it and it's less cumbersome than switching out keyboards etc.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah you can get a USB numpad pretty cheap and have the entire roguelike genre available to you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1423028029907996680

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw4sD3Onjhc

Coming out today with a 20% discount!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Deakul posted:

Go buy this if you haven't already it owns

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gonna play it with a controller on my tv like a real roguelike

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

Samopsa posted:

Go buy this if you haven't already it owns

It indeed owns, buy it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

victrix posted:

Genuinely a great way to play it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1040420/Dreamscaper/
Dreamscaper is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEjLknNgjsE

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 5, 2021

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
i play angband primarily with a ps4 controller, it's much better than keyboard tbh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

victrix posted:

:yeah:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How different from DoomRL is Jupiter Hell? I'll probably buy it regardless but I was curious.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
it's very different, the only thing that's the same is that it's a mainly ranged-focused action turn-based roguelike. All mechanics, monsters, settings, etc are differnt.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Is there a way to turn off the warping of the interface that's in all the screenshots?

I do not want it to distort like this; I think it'd be a dealbreaker.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Prism posted:

Is there a way to turn off the warping of the interface that's in all the screenshots?

I do not want it to distort like this; I think it'd be a dealbreaker.

Yeah hang on lemme boot it up and find the setting

e: UI CRT Effects Level and UI CRT bending will remove all that.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 5, 2021

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah hang on lemme boot it up and find the setting

e: UI CRT Effects Level and UI CRT bending will remove all that.

Sweet, thanks. Time to put that on my wishlist.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Fights in Tight Spaces have come out with an update that adds undo - both for the last number of moves and the entire level. It was discussed here and I asked about it on the Steam forums too, so it's great to see it happen. Otherwise it was like playing Into the Breach or Invisible Inc. without the undo

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Pladdicus posted:

i play angband primarily with a ps4 controller, it's much better than keyboard tbh

wut...

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

enter toggles a menu with a lot of the commands which simplifies it, otherwise I just map most of my keys to the go to's like inventory/spell list, etc. Most of the game you can menu navigate with arrow keys and enter.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
picked up Jupiter Hell yesterday and managed to get it running around 30 FPS with minimum settings on a 2013 Macbook. it's really fun and the music is awesome.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Burning Rain posted:

Fights in Tight Spaces have come out with an update that adds undo - both for the last number of moves and the entire level. It was discussed here and I asked about it on the Steam forums too, so it's great to see it happen. Otherwise it was like playing Into the Breach or Invisible Inc. without the undo

I think I wanna finally get into this one

beer gas canister posted:

picked up Jupiter Hell yesterday and managed to get it running around 30 FPS with minimum settings on a 2013 Macbook. it's really fun and the music is awesome.

I thought I'd like it better than I did. Felt a little bit repetitive after the first few levels and using the guns generally doesn't feel very satisfying. It's also hard to even see any detail on the monsters and a lot of the play area I saw looked pretty plain, just rock walls or metal walls and colored doors.

It might be that turn based roguelikes like this just aren't really for me, the only turn based roguelikes I remember liking a lot were deckbuilders, but that's obviously a different category. I do agree that the music is awesome though and there are some things it does well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Vi key supremacy for roguelikes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, I really wanted to like Jupiter Hell more than I did but oof, it kinda feels like it's just a 3D tile set for an ASCII roguelike and it doesn't feel that great to play because of it for me.

Doesn't help that my left hand is jacked up and I can't play keyboard only games right now, this doesn't even let me use the mouse to free fire or click tiles. :(

Gonna have to refund for now.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The long simmering UnderMine v1.2 update is finally there~ Daily Runs, more/better Most Things---the kind of patch you hope to see.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/656350/view/2977428318411010115

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

Same, but CDDA and a Steam Controller. It works really well !

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

SpacePope posted:

Same, but CDDA and a Steam Controller. It works really well !

ooooo

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Jupiter Hell is in a weird spot where I want to play fast, but getting caught out is harshly punished.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

bees x1000 posted:

Jupiter Hell is in a weird spot where I want to play fast, but getting caught out is harshly punished.

Totally, but I appreciate how little downtime there is since the movement feels so fast and fluid

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Deakul posted:

Man, I really wanted to like Jupiter Hell more than I did but oof, it kinda feels like it's just a 3D tile set for an ASCII roguelike and it doesn't feel that great to play because of it for me.

I don't know if the dev is still working on this feature, but Jupiter Hell is supposed to still be playable in terminal mode IIRC. There are some tiny things you'd miss out on though - with the graphics, you can see the lights on enemies as they move, and see them kick around destroyed props and such.

JH is good at feeling fast, he did some work with the animation system to help it feel fluid - you can't move diagonally in JH for example, but your character model will with the right input.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Still in the works as per scrolling down to the Roadmap section---though probably much of the entirety is subject to further reckoning as Jupiter Hell works through launch...next Some Months primed for Greatness given the current listings:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/811320/discussions/0/1642044369665159807/

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Are maces of destruction in adom good enough to justify switching if I find one?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Serephina posted:

Yea I've heard a lot of people swear by hjkl or something similar, it's apparently the 'superior' layout once you get used to it, due to all the proximal keys or something. So I guess the answer is "all traditional RLs"?

I heard this a lot around 2008 when I started playing crawl and it was an easy move as a console player. This style becomes so intuitive to the point that if you asked me what each key does I could not tell you. It has the small consequence of making number pad games completely unplayable. I also could not get into Qud, because I too use only laptops with a short keyboard. Surely its possible to rebind, but Crawl is really the only game I have played for the past decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Are maces of destruction in adom good enough to justify switching if I find one?

Depends when you get it and how much weapon skill you have in what you were using.