Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Cross posting from the Toronto thread:
https://twitter.com/torontostar/status/1422914832022581250

Having these things ride on the sidewalk, nevermind being piloted in the Philippines with 200 ping, is just asking for trouble.

its fine, they probably use roll back netcode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

MickeyFinn posted:

Why is trading coins a taxable event? I ran in to the argument that coins are just like beanie babies, so why should coins be taxed when beanie babies weren’t? I have no interest in finding out if beanie babies were or were not taxed, but I don’t know enough about trading things to know if/when/how they are taxed.
Barter is generally taxable just like cash transactions. If I trade you a baseball card worth $20 for a beanie baby worth $10, you have $10 of income to report. That transaction is also subject to sales tax, even though no cash dollars changed hands. It's just easier to evade taxes when there's no paper trail and neither of us are doing high volumes of trading. Technically applies to labor too. If I walk your dog instead of the baseball card, for tax purposes the dog walking is valued at whatever market rate is for that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PhazonLink posted:

its fine, they probably use roll back netcode.

:rimshot:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Literal rubber banding…because I attached a bungee cord to the back of your stupid robot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"The delivery robot lays on its back, its battery draining in the hot sun, spinning its wheels trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping."

"drat right I'm not. Stay the gently caress off the sidewalk."

* Later *

"Yeah, he's human. Retire him."

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 5, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

also lol at the mandated alcohol interlock, love to get an uber to go out so i can have a single glass of wine with dinner

It's less that, and more that it's really bad to let a consumer-level device with a lack of calibration determine *whether a crime is being committed*.

To say nothing of the people who cannot properly use a breath-tester, an issue which has already come up in the context of actual police officers using professional-level devices.

I say, as a regular drinker: you should not drive under the influence of any amount of alcohol, nor any other drug. It's not safe, and it's not necessary. There are huge, huge issues with mandatory interlocks across the board, but "I want to operate a vehicle while slightly intoxicated, but not too much" isn't an important one.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
To literally no one's surprise, Facebook continues to be just the absolute worst.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1423219435662422019

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1423152935161237505

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

PT6A posted:

I say, as a regular drinker: you should not drive under the influence of any amount of alcohol, nor any other drug. It's not safe, and it's not necessary. There are huge, huge issues with mandatory interlocks across the board, but "I want to operate a vehicle while slightly intoxicated, but not too much" isn't an important one.

I lived in Japan for a couple years and the acceptable BAC is 0% - pretty stiff penalties plus probably being deported if you were foreign. I was never big on mixing alcohol and driving before but it's been an either/or thing for me ever since. The cop who did my license translation made a good point, it's not as if None has a built in breatho, you're just hoping it's OK.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

PT6A posted:

To say nothing of the people who cannot properly use a breath-tester, an issue which has already come up in the context of actual police officers using professional-level devices.

Phone posting so I don't have a link, but I saw a story the other day about just that, an asthmatic lady who couldnt give a continuous breath for the time required to get a sample. If all cars had built in testers she'd be hosed.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Calumanjaro posted:

On the bright side, they appear to be about the right size for chucking in lake Ontario.

I looked at the images, I want to hurt that robot simply for existing,

Also how they gonna stop me from taking the food out of the robot after I tip it over?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Spalec posted:

Phone posting so I don't have a link, but I saw a story the other day about just that, an asthmatic lady who couldnt give a continuous breath for the time required to get a sample. If all cars had built in testers she'd be hosed.

Yes, exactly. And it's far from the first time that's happened.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I lived in Japan for a couple years and the acceptable BAC is 0% - pretty stiff penalties plus probably being deported if you were foreign. I was never big on mixing alcohol and driving before but it's been an either/or thing for me ever since. The cop who did my license translation made a good point, it's not as if None has a built in breatho, you're just hoping it's OK.

Honestly, "there's an acceptable level of intoxication for driving" should probably be one of those things that we end up looking back on and shaking our heads like "you used to be able to smoke a cigarette in the waiting room at the doctor's office."

It's not particularly possible to defend it beyond "it would be inconvenient if I couldn't drink a bit and then drive." Taxis, buses, trains, walking, designate a driver, wait long enough that you're sober, all these options are available before you must drive while under the influence of alcohol.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

PT6A posted:

It's not particularly possible to defend it beyond "it would be inconvenient if I couldn't drink a bit and then drive." Taxis, buses, trains, walking, designate a driver, wait long enough that you're sober, all these options are available before you must drive while under the influence of alcohol.

You'd be criminalizing pretty mundane activity and leaving enforcement up to an openly racist police force.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Baronash posted:

You'd be criminalizing pretty mundane activity and leaving enforcement up to an openly racist police force.

real plate of poo poo spaghetti we've got for a country

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just gently caress this in general. I have around a drink per month, I don’t drive when I do happen the drink, why the gently caress should I have to pay for this device and the opportunity cost of it possibly breaking down when I need to get to work or have an emergency?

I’ve had to take my wife to the hospital twice in our marriage, I’m not taking that risk because other assholes refuse to call an Uber.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

Cross posting from the Toronto thread:
https://twitter.com/torontostar/status/1422914832022581250

Having these things ride on the sidewalk, nevermind being piloted in the Philippines with 200 ping, is just asking for trouble.

Finally, all my training from playing twitch games via dialup in the 90s has a real world application!

:corsair:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Foxfire_ posted:

Barter is generally taxable just like cash transactions. If I trade you a baseball card worth $20 for a beanie baby worth $10, you have $10 of income to report. That transaction is also subject to sales tax, even though no cash dollars changed hands. It's just easier to evade taxes when there's no paper trail and neither of us are doing high volumes of trading. Technically applies to labor too. If I walk your dog instead of the baseball card, for tax purposes the dog walking is valued at whatever market rate is for that

On the one hand, it's obvious you don't want to leave "I'll give you $11.2m worth of onions for your company" as a tax loophole. On the other hand, this sort of thing illustrates why inefficiency in law enforcement is sometimes a feature and not a bug, that ~tech~ solutions in law enforcement cause problems even if we assume no malice, and that we need to explicitly add "small time technically illegal things should not be prosecuted" to laws. In the case of tax and business law there are ridiculously low standards of what counts as a taxable or business activity across many EU members, to the point where e.g. listing a hundred separate items of used children's clothing (surplus since your 3 kids have grown up) on eBay without setting yourself up as a business can and has landed people in court for operating an unlicensed business, failing to have kept evidence for all items to show that taxes don't apply and/or failing to follow business regulations. Offline, nobody gives a poo poo if people sell the same items without setting up a business because it's both blatantly ridiculous and inefficient for tax collectors to waste time going after people for doing occasional yard sales or setting up a flea market stall one weekend every year. The only reason clearing your household trash via eBay is disproportionately more likely to get prosecuted is because it's almost no work to gather the required evidence, and this sort of poo poo needs to stop with the threshold for miscellaneous activities being subject to business regulations and taxes being raised to some fairly high percentage of the income people would get from a minimum wage job.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 5, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The breathalyzer thing sounds like an idea that's filled with good intentions but will practically become a nightmare on several levels. Wonder how much it might cost to repair, for instance, when the sensor chip or whatever shits the bed?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/TonyaJoRiley/status/1423415037113294851

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I and many other people today received a $2.15 payment from Google that, if accepted, I agree not to sue them for a privacy breach related to Google+ that Google concealed for years.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/google-class-action-starts-paying-out-2-15-for-g-privacy-violations/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

gone

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyaJoRiley/status/1423420487749849088

Was this it?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

The breathalyzer thing sounds like an idea that's filled with good intentions but will practically become a nightmare on several levels. Wonder how much it might cost to repair, for instance, when the sensor chip or whatever shits the bed?

As someone else mentioned before, the units installed for DUI offenders have to be recalibrated every month. I’m not sure if there’s a technical reason for that or if it’s just to collect data (I’m sure that’s at least part of it). Another problem is that those ignition interlock devices don’t work well in cold weather, so imagine trying to leave for work or whatever and the drat thing can’t take a proper reading, so you’re stuck in the driveway for however long it takes to warm the thing up without using the car’s heater because you can’t start the car in the first place. Which also means that remote starters would be rendered useless. I guess they could just lock down the transmission instead of the ignition? Either way, it’s not a good idea and I’m sure anyone with any sort of experience with the things will tell you the same.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So...people would have to their cars in once a week to re calibrate their starter?

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

I don’t know if they all work the same but the fixed breathalyzer I was trained on shines infrared light into an air chamber, and the more infrared that’s absorbed, the higher the alcohol amount in the sample.

They are calibrated regularly mostly to prevent defense attorneys from arguing they aren’t. The portable versions cops have on the street aren’t admissible because those units are presumably banging around in your trunk and who knows how accurate they are.

In Washington state cops have to observe you for like 20 minutes before you blow to make sure gum, candy, or whatever wasn’t in your mouth because that can alter the results. They’re trained to start that clock over if you have a big burp, because whatever floats up from the stomach in that burp can alter the results.

I don’t have any experience with ignition interlock devices but it’s not hard to imagine a million ways having them in every car would be loving terrible. But since it’s the tech thread, an app that’s like Uber, but summons a sober person to help start your car when the interlock is…disrupted.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

follow that camel!! posted:

I don’t have any experience with ignition interlock devices but it’s not hard to imagine a million ways having them in every car would be loving terrible. But since it’s the tech thread, an app that’s like Uber, but summons a sober person to help start your car when the interlock is…disrupted.

Sobr

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BRTHYLYZR

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

"Unavailable"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

IBroughttheFunk posted:

To literally no one's surprise, Facebook continues to be just the absolute worst.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1423219435662422019

The justification Facebook used to do this was that they were complying with their privacy agreement with the FTC.

The FTC has called out that excuse as BS.

https://twitter.com/viaCristiano/status/1423425052083642368

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Stolen from the cursed images thread

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/D0D7Q09.mp4

Same footage, different ads depending on what territory you're in. Further and further into hellworld every day.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Birthylaser becomes more popular after the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

In the case of tax and business law there are ridiculously low standards of what counts as a taxable or business activity across many EU members, to the point where e.g. listing a hundred separate items of used children's clothing (surplus since your 3 kids have grown up) on eBay without setting yourself up as a business can and has landed people in court for operating an unlicensed business, failing to have kept evidence for all items to show that taxes don't apply and/or failing to follow business regulations. Offline, nobody gives a poo poo if people sell the same items without setting up a business because it's both blatantly ridiculous and inefficient for tax collectors to waste time going after people for doing occasional yard sales or setting up a flea market stall one weekend every year. The only reason clearing your household trash via eBay is disproportionately more likely to get prosecuted is because it's almost no work to gather the required evidence, and this sort of poo poo needs to stop with the threshold for miscellaneous activities being subject to business regulations and taxes being raised to some fairly high percentage of the income people would get from a minimum wage job.

Yeah I think the Australian Taxation Office treats $50k of revenue (not profit) as the difference between a hobby and a business. If you’re making $40k selling beanie babies they don’t care, but you also can’t claim input costs as a deduction.

If you’re making $60k doing wedding photography on the weekend, you have to declare it but now you can also claim that $3k camera lens as a business deduction.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

Stolen from the cursed images thread

I've seen this already in America: Cable already does targeted ads based on locations but also some of the ads in the stands are variable too. I know in hockey at least they superimpose ads on the glass and sometimes the markers don't line up and it's funny watching them glitch out and spin around the screen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yeah variable composited ads are pretty well established at this point. Next time a game is simulcast on ESPN Deportes, flip between them. Been like that a long time.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/7/22614327/major-record-labels-sue-charter-communications-copyright-infringement

:911:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jesus Christ, basically everyone who can afford to do so is paying someone $10 a month to listen to music. Just stop.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gently caress the MPAA/RIAA. Selfish pricks keep doing major harm to the music/video industry and acting like they werent the ones hurting themselves.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Somebody remind these guys what year it is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress the MPAA/RIAA. Selfish pricks keep doing major harm to the music/video industry and acting like they werent the ones hurting themselves.

They are the music and video industry :ssh:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 8, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

They are the music and video industry :ssh:

You know what I meant.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikam...sh=1545e0accbc9

quote:

There is much criticism of the RIAA's policy and method of suing individuals for copyright infringement, notably with Internet-based pressure groups such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Students for Free Culture.[94] To date, the RIAA has sued more than 20,000[95] people in the United States suspected of distributing copyrighted works and settled approximately 2,500 of the cases. Brad Templeton of the Electronic Frontier Foundation has called these types of lawsuits spamigation and implied they are done merely to intimidate people.[96]

The RIAA was criticized in the media after they subpoenaed Gertrude Walton, an 83-year-old woman who died in December 2004.[97] Walton was accused of swapping rock, pop and rap songs. RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy commented that legal proceedings had commenced before Walton died. "Our evidence gathering and our subsequent legal actions all were initiated weeks and even months ago."

In a Brooklyn case, Elektra v. Schwartz,[98] against RaeJ Schwartz, a Queens woman with Multiple Sclerosis, the RIAA's lawyers wrote to the Judge that they were in possession of a letter in which "...America Online, Inc., has confirmed that Defendant was the owner of the internet access account through which hundreds of Plaintiffs' sound recordings were downloaded and distributed to the public without Plaintiffs' consent." After the defense received a copy of the letter, it turned out that the letter merely identified Ms. Schwartz as the owner of an internet access account and said nothing at all about "downloading" or "distributing".[99]

The RIAA has also been criticized for bringing lawsuits against children, including 12-year-old Brianna LaHara of New York City in 2003[57] and 13-year-old Brittany Chan of Michigan. Under the threat of a possible defendant's motion for summary judgment and attorneys fees, the RIAA withdrew the case Priority Records v. Chan.[100][101] while LaHara's mother agreed to pay $2,000 in settlements.

The RIAA's recent targeting of students has generated controversy as well. An April 4, 2006 story in the MIT campus newspaper The Tech indicates that an RIAA representative stated to Cassi Hunt, an alleged file-sharer, that previously, "the RIAA has been known to suggest that students drop out of college or go to community college in order to be able to afford settlements."[102]

The RIAA has also filed a lawsuit against a woman who has never bought, turned on, or used a personal computer for using an "online distribution system" to obtain unlicensed music files.[103] This occurred again in the Walls case;

"I don't understand this", said James Walls, "How can they sue us when we don't even have a computer?"[56]

The RIAA filed a lawsuit against Larry Scantlebury, a man who had died. They offered the deceased man's family a period of sixty days to grieve the death before they began to depose members of Mr. Scantlebury's family for the suit against his estate.[104]

An academic study by Depoorter et al. (2011) among American and European college students found that users of file-sharing technologies were relatively anti-copyright and that copyright enforcement efforts generated backlash, hardening pro-file sharing beliefs among users of these technologies.[105]

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Aristocrats!