Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are they still stuck on only two polarities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

how long would it take you to cut through, say, a fallen 18" pine with that?

it's about 30 seconds with a 50cc gas saw but if electric ones are getting near that performance i'd take a closer look

idk the only reference i have is cutting through a fallen black beech trunk to clear a path. it felt a little bogged down and needed a couple cuts since the chain isnt that long, but it still did the job

but tbh if i was cutting down a tree i'd just get a pro to do it, this has mainly been used for clearing a lot of gorse (4-6" trunks)

given that pros still use gas i assume theres a reason since carrying all that extra weight must be a pita otherwise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuel is so energy dense compared to battery packs, if you're doing anything like this for more than a short time it's easy to imagine batteries are going to give significant grief

especially because you only need a plastic bag to carry more gas not some kind of fancy battery

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nissan leaf full of D-cell nicads

e: image

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 5, 2021

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

fuel is so energy dense compared to battery packs, if you're doing anything like this for more than a short time it's easy to imagine batteries are going to give significant grief

especially because you only need a plastic bag to carry more gas not some kind of fancy battery

a dude filled a bucket with diesel at a servo up here and someone dropped a ciggy in it and it went up so the dude panicked and threw it on the fuel pumps and the servo burnt down

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-b...73WIOADTHPC7Z4/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

all these battery posts have me re-evaluating the way I feel about battery tools

have they gotten better in the last 27 years or something

i mean objectively yes

but it depends on what you’re doing. i think a chainsaw might be one of the last noticeable differences but given how good all the rest of my battery stuff is i would 100% try a battery one before i bought a gas-powered model.

oh, and snow blowers, ime battery snow blowers still suck in comparison if you get more than a couple of inches of snow at a time

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Achmed Jones posted:

computers are not attractive. computers are shameful, evil little boxes and they deserve to be neither seen nor heard. a pox upon them (disclosure: the poxes keep me employed)

i compute through a hole in a sheet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DrPossum posted:

you should practice abstinence

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DrPossum posted:

that’s the bc public health recommended way to compute!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i bought a 20v weedwacker and its... alright. not for the job i needed it for (i thought i'd use it to chop down all the weeds that engulfed my backyard from building as the builder hasn't graded the land yet) - it's about 15-20 minutes on constant high speed so when i actually only have a little bit of weeds growing or edge trimming for grass it'll be golden at low

so battery lawnmowers are good now, eh? any brands? i know of ryobi up here in :canada:

i thought about getting those reel push ones too but just for the front yard. they make gas ones with the same blade but they are like $3,000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JYQ80fMRAk

SWARDMAN

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

i bought a 20v weedwacker and its... alright. not for the job i needed it for (i thought i'd use it to chop down all the weeds that engulfed my backyard from building as the builder hasn't graded the land yet) - it's about 15-20 minutes on constant high speed so when i actually only have a little bit of weeds growing or edge trimming for grass it'll be golden at low

so battery lawnmowers are good now, eh? any brands? i know of ryobi up here in :canada:

i thought about getting those reel push ones too but just for the front yard. they make gas ones with the same blade but they are like $3,000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JYQ80fMRAk

SWARDMAN

lmao what a loving waste

anyway i have the ryobi brushless mower with the big fuckall 40 whatever volt batteries and it’s been really great

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

nice, it's about $400 to $500 CAD so ill maybe get that next year. we're gonna put sod down in the front in september hopefully and just let the fall and winter help that out, so i got time to save up money for the spring. then in the back just gonna over seed and hope for the best.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mediaphage posted:

lmao what a loving waste

anyway i have the ryobi brushless mower with the big fuckall 40 whatever volt batteries and it’s been really great

i have the same mower and it's been needs suiting. biggest issues i have is that it keeps flipping down to the lowest cut setting which it tends to not do well and the hinges on the handle tend to unlatch which makes the mower shut off

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

mediaphage posted:

lmao what a loving waste

I got that same mower and it takes me 3 charges to get through my lawn if I let it get overgrown, but that's fine since I'm very lazy and don't mind doing a half assed job of it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

mediaphage posted:

same. i had a gas one that kept breaking down so i got the ryobi and the battery lasted just long enough to do the whole lawn, but since ive completely removed the front lawn there's plenty left over now

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i have a plug in chainsaw that was needs suiting for many years but now the chain keeps slipping off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

nice, it's about $400 to $500 CAD so ill maybe get that next year. we're gonna put sod down in the front in september hopefully and just let the fall and winter help that out, so i got time to save up money for the spring. then in the back just gonna over seed and hope for the best.

home depot puts it on sale yearly and you can usually score a free battery or extra tool or something with it, i think we got the weed eater for free or something

Zaxxon posted:

I got that same mower and it takes me 3 charges to get through my lawn if I let it get overgrown, but that's fine since I'm very lazy and don't mind doing a half assed job of it.

how the eff big is your lawn

or, also, how much are you trying to cut? if you let it really get wild cut it on the highest setting (actually you shouldn't cut it much below this ever imo but w/e) and take a second pass at a lower setting if you need instead of trying to do it all at once; i have found it is a more efficient use of battery that way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
before i let my lawn die because of the drought i had a reel mower and it was nice. Not much more effort than a gas one if you kept it oiled and sharp, and a lot more peaceful. But of course my lawn was small, its not something I'd do for a huge suburban lawn.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

all these battery posts have me re-evaluating the way I feel about battery tools

have they gotten better in the last 27 years or something

if you are still using a 12v ni-cad power drill, get your hands on a 18v lithium system and prepare to have your mind blown. batteries are vastly better today than they were even ten years ago, let alone 30.

i still don't think they are up to 2-stroke engine power-to-weight ratios, though. gasoline is the queen of fuels

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fun fact: all the 18v and 20v battery systems are identical. 18v is the nominal 50% charge voltage for a 5-in-series lithium pack, 20v is at 100% charge. some marketers figured out that they could capture the MORE NUMBER BIGGER market by quoting a different part of the charge cycle. :eng101:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

before i let my lawn die because of the drought i had a reel mower and it was nice. Not much more effort than a gas one if you kept it oiled and sharp, and a lot more peaceful. But of course my lawn was small, its not something I'd do for a huge suburban lawn.

if i had a lawn i think i would heap up piles of dirt on it before planting grass so that it was a bunch of little rolling hills. flat is stupid. also i would plant that wild beach grass that gets long and soft in tufts instead of dumb golf course grass.

then i would allow it to fill with groundhogs. lovely

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sagebrush effortlessly denies rotor the quad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gopher the protocol: very good imo

gopher the animal: gently caress those things

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sagebrush posted:

if i had a lawn i think i would heap up piles of dirt on it before planting grass so that it was a bunch of little rolling hills. flat is stupid. also i would plant that wild beach grass that gets long and soft in tufts instead of dumb golf course grass.

then i would allow it to fill with groundhogs. lovely

yeah, i have a little hill in my front yard that i hope they don't grade but i can build it up and in the backyard near the corner is a little hill too

i just want them to get rid of a divot near the middle... and rip all these loving weeds out or it's gonna cost me $350 for weedman to come along.... or i could let them all die in the winter but won't they just come back up even if i lay topsoil and seed?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

gopher the protocol: very good imo

gopher the animal: gently caress those things

the house two down from mine has a dead lawn completely full of gopher holes and one time i was talking to the neighbor while a gopher kept popping out and dumping loads of dirt. they're lovely

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/ycyL8lk.mp4

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
When did you sneak into my garage

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 6, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

honestly one of the more disturbing things i've seen posted here

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 6, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mediaphage posted:

honestly one of the more disturbing things i've seen posted here

watch the whole thing! lol

no

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 6, 2021

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Oh that’s why he’s always zipping up his pants when he gets off that hog

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

watch the whole thing! lol

no

hard pass

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 6, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

dont blame ya haha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

the house two down from mine has a dead lawn completely full of gopher holes and one time i was talking to the neighbor while a gopher kept popping out and dumping loads of dirt. they're lovely

goddamn gopher lovers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it sure is!@!@ lmbo

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Found a new good account to follow :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1423121448122654724

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Adbot