Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cody vs Black 69 47.92%
Legit vs Bunny 15 10.42%
Christian vs Blade 10 6.94%
Jericho vs Juvi 6 4.17%
2.0 and Garcia vs Kingston, Mox and Darby 44 30.56%
Total: 144 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Reminds me of Hangman doing that contract switch with Matt Hardy, just an absolutely amazing little detail that suddenly changes the whole perception of a story beat.

Switching the contract, leaving a DVD, pulling out a phone he'd pretended to be looking for. Hangman Adam Page is AEW's master of legerdemain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he gave them a dvd of hell ina cell 2019

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

your friend wicka posted:

This may have been discussed in one of the threads already but did anyone notice that Hangman left a DVD behind when he talked to the Dark Order? I had no idea but someone posted it on Twitter this morning: https://imgur.com/a/29ADBpH

I saw the DVD and just assumed it was accidently left over from a BTE sketch where 10 snorted coke off it or something

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

A Fancy Hat posted:

Reminds me of Hangman doing that contract switch with Matt Hardy, just an absolutely amazing little detail that suddenly changes the whole perception of a story beat.

Uno and Stu probably are the only ones who watched it, which we’ll find out next week or something.

stab posted:

If there's one thing I would want from the people in this thread, is hit the like button and subscribe!

I'm so glad the majority of you guys liked my boys performance last night. I didn't get much sleep talking to Matt and our crew of friends hahaha

ARE YOU THE REAL STING? is already a meme in our circle, so feel free to add memes on that spot, I'll make sure to send it to Matt Lee haha.

Your friends were real fun last night and I hope last night wasn’t just a one off thing.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Oh man what if Hangman knows Kenny and them watch this show - so he puts on a big show of not having backup, and of the backup making a big public show of not getting involved - only for them to actually have his back in the title match? In AEW - honestly it wouldn't shock me.

Also I've seen a few people in this thread say they are tired of this story or they need to wrap it up quick but I have enjoyed every minute of it. AEW flourished in the pandemic era so if they have to go back to that I know they still will. I'm happy to go everywhere they take me at the moment because I've enjoyed it all. Maybe I'm easy to please I dunno

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Jericho/Juvi was like a later career Devo album. Nostalgia belongs to the past for a reason. The top rope Judas Effect was cool and looks like a great way to gently caress up your hips if you used it as a regular finisher.

The showcase six man was cool. I like Darby's new titantron.

I want Kenny Omega's cookie monster shirt.

I get that they need to keep Thunder Rosa and Britt separate before Rosa's inevitable coronation, but why Red Velvet? Why not give Shida a rematch or Riho? Pretty soon, we're gonna have Britt try to carry Jade in a title defense and nobody wants to see that.

I like what they're doing with Hangman. Just have him at his lowest point, depressed, only to hopefully get the gold through the Power of Friendship with the Dark Order.

Miro is my God and the Game Over is his message. Lee Johnson has been forgiven. Still can't stand his theme.

Christian vs Omega? Sure, why not? Could be fun.

Kudos to Cody for making Tommy End look like a million bucks.

Good show all around.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

StarkRavingMad posted:

He got completely wrecked by Malakai, cut a speech afterward that sounded like a retirement speech but never actually said he was retiring, took off one boot like he was going to leave his boots in the ring, and then Malakai jumped him again, left him laying, and took his boot.

So it’s probably just an angle so Cody can go shoot his tv show and be with his family, although I wouldn’t put it past Cody to want to go out all the way on his back

It was so drat good. Cody is so god drat over it's insane, and now Malakai Black is the hot new heel who kicked his rear end so hard in like five minutes flat that it made Cody want to retire. Malakai looks like a monster, and when Cody comes back they can have a huge blowoff to the feud.

But oof that Jericho - Juvi match. Juvi looked insanely rusty in the ring and the match was a god drat mess.

E: also lol at JR calling Juventud "this young man"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Seams posted:

JR brought up her size multiple times

JR also did the "she's ... uhh... a very impressive athlete. She's got an uhhh... impressive physique" thing as the camera lingered on the NWA lady's chest. Unfortunate timing or JR being a creep? Who the gently caress knows.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

your friend wicka posted:

This may have been discussed in one of the threads already but did anyone notice that Hangman left a DVD behind when he talked to the Dark Order? I had no idea but someone posted it on Twitter this morning: https://imgur.com/a/29ADBpH

i think it was just a coaster under his beer

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

JR also did the "she's ... uhh... a very impressive athlete. She's got an uhhh... impressive physique" thing as the camera lingered on the NWA lady's chest. Unfortunate timing or JR being a creep? Who the gently caress knows.

Honestly that one felt like unfortunate timing more than anything, like to me it seemed like JR was genuinely trying to be say "jesus she's huge" but the camera kept showing her boobs and legs as they were talking about it and they all just kinda started stammering awkwardly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It was so drat good. Cody is so god drat over it's insane, and now Malakai Black is the hot new heel who kicked his rear end so hard in like five minutes flat that it made Cody want to retire. Malakai looks like a monster, and when Cody comes back they can have a huge blowoff to the feud.

But oof that Jericho - Juvi match. Juvi looked insanely rusty in the ring and the match was a god drat mess.

Whenever JR refers to someone as a young person or kid I figure he's like my grandpa. He's so old - everyone is a young person!

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

JR sure did go back to his bizarre, clueless old man self again this episode.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
stab I'm so happy for you boys, they killed it last night.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The older you get the more likely you are to call anybody younger than you some variation of 'young man'. JR still has 20 years on Juvi.
Rusty or not I was still surprised at how much we got out of a 46 year old Juventud, especially given that Jericho sucks at selling those moves now. That having been said I don't want to see any more Juvi.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 5, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Juvi is literally the Youth Warrior.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Forceholy posted:

I get that they need to keep Thunder Rosa and Britt separate before Rosa's inevitable coronation, but why Red Velvet? Why not give Shida a rematch or Riho?
Red Velvet is ranked #3. Riho isn't in the top 5 and Shida just broke back into it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ChrisBTY posted:

The older you get the more likely you are to call anybody younger than you some variation of 'young man'. JR still has 20 years on Juvi.
Rusty or not I was still surprised at how much we got out of a 46 year old Juventud, especially given that Jericho sucks at selling those moves now. That having been said I don't want to see any more Juvi.

Yeah I won't begrudge them a trip down nostalgia lane, especially if this is kind of Jericho's retirement tour, but one Juventud match was plenty. Please don't sign him, Tony.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Didn't JR ask Ex and Tony to elaborate on who Juvi was after calling him a "young man"? He might not even know who he was to begin with--was he around when Juvi was with WWE for a bit?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

sticklefifer posted:

Red Velvet is ranked #3. Riho isn't in the top 5 and Shida just broke back into it.

It's like Whose Line is it Anyway: the ratings are made up and the points don't matter. It's all record padding on Dark anyway.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh also, big thumbs up to the Miro match. That's how you book a monster. Shotty Lee looked great as he finally got Miro to stagger after unloading a ton of punishment, but Miro was able to outlast him and put him off. Miro still looks like a behemoth, but Shotty Lee also got a big push off the match.

And then after the pin that creepy loving rear end ragdoll thing where he just dragged Lee's body around so he could hug him and tell him he forgave him. God drat, that's some loving serial killer poo poo. And again: the best the WWE was able to come up with for Miro was "how about a cuckolding angle I dunno?"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Dan Lambert is bringing in Hiroshi Tanahashi.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

God drat, that's some loving serial killer poo poo. And again: the best the WWE was able to come up with for Miro was "how about a cuckolding angle I dunno?"

Remember it's not ignorance or incompetance, it's malice.
Also probably some ignorance and incompetance.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I also kind of assume JR has never seen Camille wrestle, or maybe even any recent NWA stuff, so maybe he was trying to say something without saying anything at all.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Why not Red Velvet? She's a great worker, so the debut Rampage should have a good match in it. She's also well situated for a feud that will probably last all of a week and a half.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I low-key want Christian to challenge Kenny only for the TNA title just because he wants it back.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I like Red Velvet a lot and am glad she's getting a title shot that I'll get to see in person.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm so relieved AEW is just gonna tell the Hangman story the way they want it to be told and not the way it's supposed to play out in the heads of a few people on a forum determined to work themselves into a shoot over the heel Elite.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of Miro, I really liked how he sold that DDT. Instead of just flopping around he gets right back up on his feet, but... oh poo poo he's hosed up and only standing up due to God's intervention!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Remember when 2.0 had a Youtube show debut on WWE's Youtube channel and then WWE fired them literally the next day?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Remember when 2.0 had a Youtube show debut on WWE's Youtube channel and then WWE fired them literally the next day?

I do not, but that's pretty funny.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Lots of bad takes ITT on the Hangman story this week. While it definitely shouldn’t drag on much longer (Full Gear is the true breaking point, should it go past then), they’re doing some big long-term booking here, so this most recent downturn feels like that necessary storybeat of doubt before Hangman’s eventual huge success. This isn’t WWE, they won’t make him a big dumb loser forever in favor of shiny new toys (Punk, Danielson).

Right now I feel they write Hangman out for a week or so, give Christian his shot as a pitstop for Kenny (maybe at The First Dance? Or All Out, though that doesn’t seem like the “Main Event”), then get Hangman back in there after he dispatches the Bucks first; I’m thinking handicap match at All Out where Hangman wins, then Hangman gets a titleshot at the Dynamite Anniversary Show in Oct (like Archer did with Mox last year). It IS a TV-focused company, after all.

Good takes on Elite Hunter ITT, though. Frankie needs a big win to not continue being AEW’s Yoshitatsu.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kunabomber posted:

Speaking of Miro, I really liked how he sold that DDT. Instead of just flopping around he gets right back up on his feet, but... oh poo poo he's hosed up and only standing up due to God's intervention!

It was really cool and I'm not sure I've ever seen a DDT sold quite like that.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The big thing I'd like to see them lean into is Hangman looking at Frankie and realizing he can't keep going alone. I'm honestly curious about that DVD placed, but we'll see regardless.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kunabomber posted:

That was some Ishii-tier selling right there.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The337th posted:

I'm so relieved AEW is just gonna tell the Hangman story the way they want it to be told and not the way it's supposed to play out in the heads of a few people on a forum determined to work themselves into a shoot over the heel Elite.

Big agreement here.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

sticklefifer posted:

I low-key want Christian to challenge Kenny only for the TNA title just because he wants it back.

Okay I hadn’t thought of this and this is fantastic.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I love being a huge mark

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Kunabomber posted:

That ruled real fuckin' hard. I also love how Lee Johnson seems to be the first one to figure out a potential weakness with Miro: repeated blows to the head. The DDT wobbled him, then he finally took him down with a bunch of kicks to the face. Now the next opponent knows what to target if they want to stand a chance.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerebral Bore posted:

That was some Ishii-tier selling right there.

And now I'm thinking of Tomohiro Ishii vs Miro, a match that has never happened and yet is so powerful in concept that it's one of my matches of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Speaking of Lee Johnson... gently caress, what a coming out party. In a situation where he was absolutely guaranteed to lose, he ended up looking stronger than pretty much any opponent Miro has had so far.