Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Idris Elba as Dalinar and Angela Basset as Navani would be the only acceptable casting tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Phone posting, I don't remember the name of that awesome actress who plays Avarasala on The Expanse, it would be really cool to see her as Navani.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Idris Elba as Dalinar and Angela Basset as Navani would be the only acceptable casting tbh.

That would be perfect.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I like Lynn Whitfield for Navani.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Jonathan Favreau - Wax
Idris Elba - Wayne

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

External Organs posted:

Jonathan Favreau - Wax
Idris Elba - Wayne

I hate you.

Kevin Hart as Wax
Dwayne Johnson as Wayne

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 5, 2021

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

Going from the Mistborn trilogy, which is some kill-or-be-killed fantasy to a more modern-ish setting feels like total whiplash.

Late to this but I was going crazy with where I saw this same type of jarring world transformation and walked in on my kids watching Korra a bit ago and realized the same type of transition happened from Aang to Korra's world. I haven't read AoL yet but it seems like the same type of change.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mordiceius posted:

I hate you.

Kevin Hart as Wax
Dwayne Johnson as Wayne

Say what you will, but whoever plays Wayne is going to need to loving excel at wearing a hat.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Louisgod posted:

Late to this but I was going crazy with where I saw this same type of jarring world transformation and walked in on my kids watching Korra a bit ago and realized the same type of transition happened from Aang to Korra's world. I haven't read AoL yet but it seems like the same type of change.

It’s jarring and weird but also cool and good and more media should tell stories where the setting evolves between eras instead of staying static

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

It’s jarring and weird but also cool and good and more media should tell stories where the setting evolves between eras instead of staying static

Oh totally, it's not a bad thing at all, I was racking my brain with where I saw a similar transition (with 'magic' and all) and realized both world evolutions are similar.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like Sanderson has a very cinematic style of writing. Reading/listening to the books felt more like experiencing a movie than a book. I feel like the Wax and Wayne books really benefit from this.

Also W&W4’s first draft is officially done as of today.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

Also W&W4’s first draft is officially done as of today.

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1423320505839325191?s=19

I am SO pumped!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Waxillium turned to-
The door slammed open.

Wayne reached over for-
The wall exploded inward.

As soon as I notice this, I really noticed it. Made me laugh because he does it like five times within the first three chapters of Shadow of Self.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

Waxillium turned to-
The door slammed open.

Wayne reached over for-

As soon as I notice this, I really noticed it. Made me laugh because he does it like five times within the first three chapters of Shadow of Self.

lmao aaahahaha I was reading my kids some Alcatraz last night and he did just that, so funny.

tbf it's not a bad literary device as big things don't just conveniently happen once a conversation ends or whatever, but you definitely do notice a pattern.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Waxillium turned to-
The door slammed open.

Wayne reached over for-

hah i hadn't noticed this but yeah i can see how that kinda thing lets you keep the fast-paced "cinematic" style by letting the events in the narrative interrupt the (nonexistent) narrator

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
All authors have stuff like this but I think Sanderson's are pretty noticeable, especially on re-reads.

I jumped from a finished WoT re-read to a Malazan re-read and the difference in the writing, especially the dialogue presentation, is extremely amusing. (And, to be clear, I read other stuff too, I just usually have a familiar doorstopper fantasy series for right-before-falling-asleep reading to help turn my brain off.)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

All authors have stuff like this but I think Sanderson's are pretty noticeable, especially on re-reads.

I jumped from a finished WoT re-read to a Malazan re-read and the difference in the writing, especially the dialogue presentation, is extremely amusing. (And, to be clear, I read other stuff too, I just usually have a familiar doorstopper fantasy series for right-before-falling-asleep reading to help turn my brain off.)

anime levels in malazan, at least in book 1, are equally high though

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
For sure, Rake is one of the most anime characters in all of western genre fiction.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I should probably check out Malazan sometime. Maybe once I finish churning through the Cosmere.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I may give it another go someday.

I've bounced off it HARD multiple times.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

I may give it another go someday.

I've bounced off it HARD multiple times.

I read 8.5 books of it before I gave up because I didn't understand what the gently caress was happening or why it was happening or who 3/4ths of the characters were. I'm never trying again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I read 8.5 books of it before I gave up because I didn't understand what the gently caress was happening or why it was happening or who 3/4ths of the characters were. I'm never trying again.

Yeah, I don't remember which book I made it to, but I definitely remember thinking "now who the gently caress are these people and why do I care what's happening right now?"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe I won’t try Malazan. I remember reading the first 50 pages of the first book one time before getting distracted. Maybe it makes me lame, but I don’t have the time or patience for books that feel like work. It is one of the reasons that I really enjoy Sanderson’s work, the books are easy reads. And I mean that in the most complementary of ways.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I won’t try Malazan. I remember reading the first 50 pages of the first book one time before getting distracted. Maybe it makes me lame, but I don’t have the time or patience for books that feel like work. It is one of the reasons that I really enjoy Sanderson’s work, the books are easy reads. And I mean that in the most complementary of ways.

No, you're not lame. Malazan is completely impenetrable. There was one book that was completely stand alone in the middle that I really liked (tides of midnight) though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Malazan has some very high highs and conclusions comparable to Sanderslanches. But impenetrable isn't wholly inaccurate. It's dense, unforgiving, and melancholic and definitely not something that would appeal to most people.

I still loved it, and its themes of compassion and sacrifice resonated with me deeply. I'd have a hard time recommending it compared to something like Stormlight however, which is much more accessible and fun.

Midnight Tides is definitely one of the highlights, though it's not standalone in the slightest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Trying to read the first book felt like I'd need a spreadsheet to keep track of things. I get that the story is apparently based on a GURPS(?) campaign he ran with friends but Malazan just feels like a mess.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The first book is the worst by far in terms of writing quality, which doesn't help anyone trying to get into the series.

Iirc, I personally quit the first book, next try I quit after the 4th book (Karsa is a great character and an awful person), then I quit during the 8th book. Finally finished it when the tenth book was released.

It is a series where you really have to be content with not knowing what's going on for hundreds of pages at a time. A lot of stuff will not make sense until a reread. This will be my 4th reread, and I realized a bunch of new stuff on my 3rd.

I greatly prefer it to anything Sanderson's done. The world feels dangerous and mysterious and the author makes you figure stuff out by witnessing it rather than by telling you, but yeah it's not easy to get through at first.

Also, bonehunters > bridge burners, fight me.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’ve tried two or three times. I make it through the first and usually bounce off the second iirc

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I’ve noticed that occasionally he will get hung up on characters emoting a certain way and use it over and over in some books. In The Well of Ascension for example everyone is constantly sighing. And I think it’s The Way of Kings where everyone is always setting their jaw and making a line with their lips

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh hey, in Rhythm of War (Mistborn spoilers), did Hoid riot Ruthar to make him lose his cool and go against Jasnah? We all assume he used that piece of Lerasium from the Well of Ascension to become a full mistborn, right? So he should be able to use emotional allomancy. It would explain why Jasnah was so very confident that everything would go according to plan, that she already convinced Ruthar's son to take over for his father, and that she had Renarin close by to heal him, as well as the law forbidding duels ready to be proclaimed as well.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

acumen posted:

Malazan has some very high highs and conclusions comparable to Sanderslanches. But impenetrable isn't wholly inaccurate. It's dense, unforgiving, and melancholic and definitely not something that would appeal to most people.

I still loved it, and its themes of compassion and sacrifice resonated with me deeply. I'd have a hard time recommending it compared to something like Stormlight however, which is much more accessible and fun.

Midnight Tides is definitely one of the highlights, though it's not standalone in the slightest.

Tavore's speech and entire arc killed me. When Erikson puts time into his characters, it's good. When he doesn't, I feel like he starts off with a set of pre-determined cardboard cutouts and just slaps a different name on them. It's a cast of tens of thousands, but probably really say 40 or so really fleshed out characters, because about 18,000 of them can be reduced down to like 20.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Trying to read the first book felt like I'd need a spreadsheet to keep track of things. I get that the story is apparently based on a GURPS(?) campaign he ran with friends but Malazan just feels like a mess.

It's more that Erikson doesn't do exposition at all. Malazan is all show and no tell. Internal monologue for POV characters are as they would really think, without courtesy reminders of what this or that concept/thing/person is. You have to work it out for yourself via context or inference.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Oh hey, in Rhythm of War (Mistborn spoilers), did Hoid riot Ruthar to make him lose his cool and go against Jasnah? We all assume he used that piece of Lerasium from the Well of Ascension to become a full mistborn, right? So he should be able to use emotional allomancy. It would explain why Jasnah was so very confident that everything would go according to plan, that she already convinced Ruthar's son to take over for his father, and that she had Renarin close by to heal him, as well as the law forbidding duels ready to be proclaimed as well.

i don't know if it's confirmed that he did but it's definitely confirmed that he has that capability

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So I started reading WoT for the first time a few days ago (mostly because the show coming out soon finally made me take the plunge). The inspiration from LOTR is obvious, but I can't help but laugh at all the little things Brandon then used from even the first 20% of the first WoT book in his series (especially Stormlight). I mean when I see "Dark Eyes" in WoT I had to laugh.

insider fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 8, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
He was a big WoT fan, so it's absolutely not surprising that he took inspiration from it for his own works. And the series as a whole was quite influential for a number of fantasy authors, it was a really big deal during it's time.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

He was a big WoT fan, so it's absolutely not surprising that he took inspiration from it for his own works. And the series as a whole was quite influential for a number of fantasy authors, it was a really big deal during it's time.

It was genre-defining when it was new, just like GRRM was genre-defining. Other authors have taken the ball and run with it since then but it can be hard to remember just how mind-blowing these books were when they were new.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah I think this:
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Source:EUOLogy:_Goodbye_Mr._Jordan

Was what got Harriets attention at first. Sanderson was a huge huge fan

quote:

Source:EUOLogy: Goodbye Mr. Jordan
VIEW SOURCE
From Brandon Sanderson's blog.

Cross posted from the EUOLogy section of my website:

My career, like many young fantasy authors, has been deeply influenced by Robert Jordan, and I find his passing a to be a tragedy for the entire community.

I still remember the first time I saw EYE OF THE WORLD on bookshelves. I was at my local comic store, which was the place where I bought my fantasy books. I went to buy the next book in the Guardians of the Flame series, and while browsing the new paperback shelf, I saw this HUGE fantasy novel there.

It was so big that it scared me, and I didn't buy it. (This is particularly ironic for me, who now regularly publishes books of 250,000 words or so.) Still, I can almost FEEL that moment, standing and holding the book in my hands, listening to someone play an antiquated upright of Cadash in the background.

EYE had such a beautiful Darryl Sweet cover. I'm often down on him as an artist, but with EYE OF THE WORLD, I remember why he became one of the powerhouses he is now. I think, even still, the cover of EYE is the best he's ever done—one of the best in fantasy. I remember opening the cover and seeing the second illustration on the inside flap, and wondering if it was a rejected cover design.

Either way, I loved the cover. The feel of the troop marching along, Lan and Moiraine proud and face forward. . . . The cover screamed epic.

I bought the book a few weeks later, and loved it. I was happy when, several years later, the next book came out in hardback. I couldn't afford it then, but I could afford DRAGON REBORN when it was in hardcover, and so I bought it. That has been my tradition ever since—I buy them, even if I haven't read the last two, as I wait for the series to finish.

I still think EYE is one of the greatest fantasy books ever written. It signifies an era, the culmination of the epic quest genre which had been brewing since Tolkien initiated it in the 60's. The Wheel of Time dominated my reading during the 90's, influencing heavily my first few attempts at my own fantasy novels. I think it did that to pretty much all of us; even many of the most literarily snobbish of fantasy readers were youths when I was, and read EYE OF THE WORLD when I did.

Eventually, I found myself reacting AGAINST Wheel of Time in my writing. Not because I disliked Jordan, but because I felt he'd captured the epic quest story so well that I wanted to explore new grounds. As his books chronicled sweeping scenes of motion set behind characters traveling all across his world, I started to set mine in single cities. As his stories focused on peasants who became kings, I began to tell stories about kings who became peasants. One of them those was ELANTRIS.

I only saw Robert Jordan one time. By then, I had begun attending the conventions. You could say I'd become a journeyman writer; I'd developed my style, and was now looking to learn about the business. At World Fantasy one year (I think it was Montreal), I saw a man in a hat and beard walk by in the hotel hallway outside a convention room. He was alone, yet distinguished, as he walked with his cane. I'd never seen him sit on panels, yet I felt that I should know who he was. I turned to the person beside me and asked.

"That?" they said as the figure hobbled around the corner. "That was James Oliver Rigney, Jr."

"Uh . . . okay."

"Robert Jordan," they said. "That was Robert Jordan."

Eventually, I got an offer on one of my books from an editor whom I'd met at that same World Fantasy convention. My agent suggested that we play the field, using that offer as bait to hook a larger deal at another publisher. But, this offer had come from Tor. Robert Jordan's publisher. Some fifteen years after I'd picked up that first printing copy of EYE OF THE WORLD, I still felt the influence of Jordan. Tor was his publisher. That MEANT fantasy to me. It's where I wanted to be.

I took the deal.

Now, he's gone. I'm sure many see this as an opportunity, not a tragedy. Who is the heir apparent? I wonder how many authors emailed their editors Monday, asking if someone was needed to finish the EYE OF THE WORLD series. Even if none of them are chosen for that task, there will be a feeling that Tor needs to push somebody to fill the hole in their line-up.

And yet, I sit here thinking that something has CHANGED. Something is missing. Some hated you, Mr. Jordan, claiming you represented all that is terrible about popular fantasy. Others revered you as the only one who got it RIGHT.

Personally, I simply feel indebted to you. You showed me what it was to have vision and scope in a fantasy series—you showed me what could be done. I still believe that without your success, many younger authors like myself would never have had a chance at publishing their dreams.

You go quietly, but leave us trembling.

Brandon Sanderson

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Very random question, but in Oathbringer, when Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin and Azure was on a boat and they were about to be attacked by a bunch of Fused. Azure decided to stay on that boat, presumably to fight them and she asked the crew to cut a bunch of paper into a human shaped. What is she planning to do there? I know that she can use Biochromatic Breath but what exactly was she going to do?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

davidHalestorm posted:

Very random question, but in Oathbringer, when Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin and Azure was on a boat and they were about to be attacked by a bunch of Fused. Azure decided to stay on that boat, presumably to fight them and she asked the crew to cut a bunch of paper into a human shaped. What is she planning to do there? I know that she can use Biochromatic Breath but what exactly was she going to do?

We don't know for sure what command she was going to use, but we do know from Warbreaker that things in the shape of people require less breath to awaken, so if you have the time to be efficient with the resource, you might as well. I'm assuming the command would be something like "defend me" or something like that.

External Organs fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 9, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

How many scraps of paper does it take to bring down a shardbearer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

External Organs posted:

We don't know for sure what command she was going to use, but we do know from Warbringer that things in the shape of people require less breath to awaken, so if you have the time to be efficient with the resource, you might as well. I'm assuming the command would be something like "defend me" or something like that.

Interesting. Never read Warbreaker, myself but I'm assuming that Azure is a powerful magic user. Still, it's hard to imagine that paper could help her in a fight with a bunch of Fused, even if she also has a "shardblade" with her.