Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was it Bela Lugosi or Vlad III Tepes, because the latter is somewhat of a Romanian folk hero

e: lol

quote:

Seoul-based Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) has apologized for what it termed “inappropriate” images and captions. Among its choices: Chernobyl for Ukraine and pizza for Italy.

The broadcaster went further, posting reports of the assassination of Haiti’s president as that nation’s athletes entered. It also used a picture of Dracula for Romania and salmon for Norway. It also referred to the US Marshall Islandsas “once a nuclear test site for the United States.”

Great Britain’s entrance into the arena had an image of Queen Elizabeth II, while El Salvador, where cryptocurrency is legal tender, was represented by a bitcoin symbol.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Olympics have sucked for my entire lifetime.

Sports suck and so does having a human body, why are we still doing this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

Sports suck and so does having a human body, why are we still doing this

good question.

if you like the olympics you're a nerd

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dracula for Romania
Pizza for Italy
Chernobyl for Ukraine
Salmon for Norway

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The IOC is one of the most evil institutions on the planet.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

e: lol

Holy poo poo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Holy poo poo, this Mandy Patinkin plot of The Good Fight loving went places.

Has anyone else been watching this season? Best season since the second, it's been absolutely fantastic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That Paramount+ deal seems like a reaction to the 77 episode deal Warner (soon to be Discovery) has with Rick and Morty.

The new paradigm has the studios clamoring for tentpole franchises for TV much the same way they have for movies and random South Park movies available only in Paramount+ seems like a great way to fill in gaps to keep people subscribing.

I imagine animation is more attractive than ever since the past year has shown it resistant to production disruption and the decentralized nature makes it easy for talent acquisition.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Holy poo poo, this Mandy Patinkin plot of The Good Fight loving went places.

Has anyone else been watching this season? Best season since the second, it's been absolutely fantastic.

I still want to finish the good wife but I can't for the life of me remember where I was up to. It was pretty far , I think I only had a season or three to go.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chairman Capone posted:

First teaser for the new season of American Crime Story, on the Clinton impeachment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrhBHuuR9U

Very meta that it's based on a book by Jeffrey Toobin.

quote:

Billy Eichner as Matt Drudge

That is some casting choice right there.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Cactus posted:

I still want to finish the good wife but I can't for the life of me remember where I was up to. It was pretty far , I think I only had a season or three to go.

lol same problem here, although i was only like halfway in? i got mad at the husband character or her doing something with him? moving back in with him maybe? and fell off for too long

e: it is kind of a shame to fall off a tv show because you're invested enough in the characters to be mad at their actions in the plot. but i still recommend the show to people because i know i'll go back and finish it .. .some day

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 5, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
When does The Good Wife change the style of its original score? That's around when I stopped liking the show and actively loving it.

The Good Fight is so much better though. That only takes a season to go completely daffy and wonderful.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

The economy wrecking fine was "hosting the olympics"

Fixed it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

That is some casting choice right there.

That's... kind of amazing? Or maybe it's terrible? I have no idea.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

That Paramount+ deal seems like a reaction to the 77 episode deal Warner (soon to be Discovery) has with Rick and Morty.

A streaming service arms race with each side mass-producing South Park or Rick & Morty sounds like a particularly obnoxious realm of hell.

I know a guy who’s sense of humor is permanently stuck in 2008 and he is going to be ecstatic at this news.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Arist posted:

That was pretty much my thought process.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arist posted:

Hopefully he plays him exactly as Billy on the Street. Running up to Trent Lott like "NAME A WOMAN"!!!

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Aardvark! posted:

what ad blocker are you using that kills the commercials, i need a new one i think (it wouldnt let me watch the website with it enabled)

uBlock Origin.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Olympics skateboarding was fuckin awesome, I definitely recommend watching that stuff. Hard to believe it wasn’t an Olympic sport until this year

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEQ5Lj-cXM

Intrigued. The source material is great and FX doesnt really pull punches for content so I'm curious to see how this goes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't believe that it took an actual pandemic to happen for that FINALLY come to realization. And it looks really good!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why do FX still not make their trailers available outside of America smh

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t know if I was late to see it, or it was a gradual change, but The Good Fight being an outright comedy show pretending to be serious is part of the reason it is so fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the Michael Sheen season made it clear for me. The character was a cartoon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe it was just me but I enjoyed the not-Bernie Madoff overarching plot from s1 of The Good Fight

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm! Nothing in the Y trailer looks bad (except perhaps the dialogue of "Which one?" "All of them!"), but if I didn't love the comic I can't say that I'd be particularly interested after watching that trailer. It could just be how it was cut, but the tone seems off to me. The comic is very wry and often quite funny, and I wasn't getting any of that from the trailer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

zoux posted:

Olympics ratings are down half over 2016 so lemme ask y'all: why aren't YOU watching the olympics

Discovery nabbed the rights here and the scraps the terrestrial broadcaster gets are miserable. Plus it’s all happening in the middle of the night.

That said, I’ve loved the BMXing and skateboarding that I’ve seen, almost managed to redeem the whole thing for me. The skateboarders especially seemed like a lovely bunch of folks just happy for each other whenever anyone managed a good run.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

feedmyleg posted:

Hm! Nothing in the Y trailer looks bad (except perhaps the dialogue of "Which one?" "All of them!"), but if I didn't love the comic I can't say that I'd be particularly interested after watching that trailer. It could just be how it was cut, but the tone seems off to me. The comic is very wry and often quite funny, and I wasn't getting any of that from the trailer.

yea im seeing the same sentiments in other spots, but I think at this point we have to acknowledge that The Walking Dead really changed the picture of the "Post-Apocalypse" style so maybe they're gunna bite on that for the trailer and maybe the first season, being a bit more dour and serious, but then it picks up further along and we get into the funnier side of the story. Or maybe that's just the trailer and the tone is totally different in a full episode.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I don't want to dig too deep for fear of spoilers but is HBO's Mare of Easttown worth diving in to?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I saw the final episode when roommates were watching it and I read the wikipedia synopsis for it and was glad I didn't spend time watching sad show the saddening ft sad.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Arist posted:

Hey man, they'd already built the loving stadiums, sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a thing

The purpose of the stadiums is to displace affordable housing by eviction and clear the land for redevelopment. If there had been a need for a stadium, it would've existed already. That's also the reason you hear lots of stories about the stadiums/facilities being poorly built; they're already planning to tear them down to build luxury high rises.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I don't want to dig too deep for fear of spoilers but is HBO's Mare of Easttown worth diving in to?

My wife and I really liked it, but it goes to some DARK places.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theflyingexecutive posted:

The purpose of the stadiums is to displace affordable housing by eviction and clear the land for redevelopment. If there had been a need for a stadium, it would've existed already. That's also the reason you hear lots of stories about the stadiums/facilities being poorly built; they're already planning to tear them down to build luxury high rises.

Then why are there so many derelict, abandoned Olympic facilities still standing?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I'm pretty sure the purpose of the stadiums is the same as it is whenever a stadium is built, massive tax breaks and lucrative construction contracts to favored vendors, who coincidentally happen to be big donors to the politicians pushing this poo poo in the first place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

At least Japan can afford it. It's not as openly corrupt and destructive to the economy like when South Africa or Brazil hosts the world cup.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

X-O posted:

I can't believe that it took an actual pandemic to happen for that FINALLY come to realization. And it looks really good!

They were shooting before Covid, not sure if they finished principal before the shutdown though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In the US at least, a stadium is built because some rich person has convinced the local government to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to construct it and then immediately hand over the ownership to said rich person. Then if the city doesn't fellate the rich person enough, they just go to another city and start over again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Then why are there so many derelict, abandoned Olympic facilities still standing?

It was profitable when they planned it, profitable for the multinational contractors who built it, and less profitable years later after the Olympics came and went.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

theflyingexecutive posted:

They were shooting before Covid, not sure if they finished principal before the shutdown though.

They were supposed to start last April but filming got delayed until September and they just finished up less than two weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

feedmyleg posted:

Check out Creamerie. Very similar premise and it has a decent amount of humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U1Yn4TnyLc